• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Molecule Announces New IP, Dreams

Remf

Really excited and intrigued from what little we saw. For those of you who say you don't like it and such, just wait until it's fully unveiled before passing judgement since Alex said this was only to pique your interest and make you ask questions. Can't wait until the Paris game show when the curtain is finally lifted back.

The only goddamn "concern", to put it, is how deep the 'game design' tools of this dream creator is. And how easy to use, I guess.

Otherwise, this is pretty much the most perfect thing Mm could have made. It's the realisation of UGC tech that goes the extra mile of forfeiting polygons. Utter madness.

I think it's just an evolution of LBP. But they didn't want to introduce it as a game maker because everyone would just start asking how to make Super Mario with it. Instead they are introducing it as an imagination creator.

Hydrargyrus

I'm optimist. One of the best moments in my gaming life was the moment I played the LBP Beta. Like this time, it was overwhelming and magical.

I'm in the pesimistic side.

The first LBP game was magical, the second was entertaining, but I could not go on with one more and I really wish this has some kind of game inside it besides a tool set for game modeling

I'm not really into creation tools, but I love seeing what those who do are able to do with it.

Gorgeous look as well. Bring on the Paris Game Show! (and show Bend's new game while you're at it, Sony!)

I'm really intrigued by this. I was quite lost when I first saw the reveal, but the idea behind the concept is starting to become more apparent now. I can't wait to see how flexible the toolset is going to be or how people use them it in the future. The visual style is incredible.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Couple of clarifying things in there, if they weren't obvious.

MM will show you their 'dreams' and then invite you to come and make and share your own - i.e. expect something along the lines of the 'story mode' collection of MM stuff in the LBP games.

They refer constantly to playing other people's 'dreams'...

Big focus on the idea of making it easy for the user to feel like they've created something beautiful with the game.

Also at the end leaves 'one more thing to think about' before Paris Games Week - that everything in Dreams is 'live'.

Squalor

I want to sit in a room with the designers over at Media Molecule and just listen to them talk about creating games.

Stampy

The only goddamn "concern", to put it, is how deep the 'game design' tools of this dream creator is. And how easy to use, I guess.

Otherwise, this is pretty much the most perfect thing Mm could have made. It's the realisation of UGC tech that goes the extra mile of forfeiting polygons. Utter madness.

Yep, polygons, vertices, UV mapping is the most uncreative stuff you can do while creating games, and for them to avoid all that pain in the ass, and just give users the ability to directly create in 3D is pure bliss.

With regards to depth of tools. I think they are aiming for fine balance between simple and powerfull. They will probably avoid any type of complex system, but I have no worries regarding the possiblities.

Also at the end leaves 'one more thing to think about' before Paris Games Week - that everything in Dreams is 'live'.

This is what I am confused about, what do they want to say about it. I mean it’s not just regular online connectivity and collaboration. LBP had that. This is something deeper. What could it be?

When they first talked about LBP creation mode I never believed the community would be able to do stuff actually good enough to spend my time playing.

I was 200% wrong on that. I will not make this mistake again. Pretty sure awesome stuff will come out of this.

hal9001

Banned
I have a sneaking suspicion that this game could be something very special. Sony seem really confident when talking about this game. Everyone is keeping things close to their chests at the moment.

Game looks absolutely stunning, especially in motion. Seems like Paris Games Week is when we'll be getting the more meaty information on it though.

But to be honest, with those graphics I would be perfectly ok with it just being a set of creation tools for weird, dreamlike vignettes.

Alex is going to be talking about the technology at Siggraph in November as well.

I think I got a very rough idea of what this game is about, not sure it's for me but I do think it's the most intriguing game showed and I definitely want a go at it.

This is worth a re-watch.

https://youtu.be/MtY12ziHuII?t=3m10s especially from 3:10 onward.

Not just for the 3D modelling but the "futuristic (3D) interface."

They are totally going to let you do your own motion capture in Dreams aren't they, just like in the Media Molecule Concert Demo thing. That could be amazing. Using your Move Controllers to help the Camera identify your motions, then you "record" them for the characters in your dreams.

That would be pretty awesome!

I really have to wait until they have a fleshed out explanation of the "play" part of this before I can tell if I'm interested. Right now I just feel like I'm watching a Will Vinton fever dream, which until I learn otherwise I'm going to assume was sort of the point.

They are totally going to let you do your own motion capture in Dreams aren't they, just like in the Media Molecule Concert Demo thing. That could be amazing. Using your Move Controllers to help the Camera identify your motions, then you "record" them for the characters in your dreams.

Something about the way things move in the trailer makes me think you're right.

LuuKyK

As someone thats really into film-making in general, I see a lot of possibilities with this game and I am very much looking forward to it yeah.

Stampy

I think that was always the plan. :)

BTW, it just came to my mind that from naming perspective one must conclude that Morpheus and Dreams is a too natural combination for it not be real. :p

Although I doubt Mm would name their game just for the sake of naming it alongside the VR device, so this is a probably a huge coincidence. :)

SRTtoZ

DreamsCrash.gif

Best smoke ever.

OryoN

Dreams... as in nightmares? Cause that ending! :O

Looks, umm... interesting, and really impressive art style!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It doesn't look like mo-cap to me... It looks like puppetry.

I would guess that animation is done in passes, where you use (DS4/Move controller) puppetry to affect the scene as it plays.... and the changes stack with each loop. This would be the most basic/intuitive interface. Pick up and play, so to speak.

But I suspect they give you far more power to go in there and do more traditional editing. That's probably the meat of the thing, but the real selling-point (how they got this thing financed in the first place) is that there is the aforementioned intuitive live editing puppetry that anyone anywhere can instantly mess around with.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Puppetry is super neat... but I wonder if it's powerful enough to produce results at least somewhat analogous to what one might get with mo-cap or traditional key-framed stuff.

The closer they get, the more interesting this is. Imo.

Seems completely impossible, like I have no freakin idea how they could do that, but those fingers playing piano give me pause.

Idk... whatever this is it's exciting.

I think that was always the plan. :)

BTW, it just came to my mind that from naming perspective one must conclude that Morpheus and Dreams is a too natural combination for it not be real. :p

Although I doubt Mm would name their game just for the sake of naming it alongside the VR device, so this is a probably a huge coincidence. :)

I am telling you this was running at 60fps at the theater experience. As was No Mans sky. A key milestone in running on Morpheus.

Erm, is that actually 60fps? It looks like so. Or am I not good at differentiating 60fps anymore.

It is, and it is not just a hyper speed gif. At the theater the entire thing looked 60 fps and that scene was very obvious 60 fps.

Stampy

I am telling you this was running at 60fps at the theater experience. As was No Mans sky. A key milestone in running on Morpheus.

It is, and it is not just a hyper speed gif. At the theater the entire thing looked 60 fps and that scene was very obvious 60 fps.

Not saying it's not true, but just can't grasp it, how would such graphical fidelity, user customizability, and all the required physics be possible at 60fps. o_O

Puppetry is super neat... but I wonder if it's powerful enough to produce results at least somewhat analogous to what one might get with mo-cap or traditional key-framed stuff.

The closer they get, the more interesting this is. Imo.

Seems completely impossible, like I have no freakin idea how they could do that, but those fingers playing piano give me pause.

Idk... whatever this is it's exciting.

Why are you doubting results, when you are seeing what they already achieved. Mm is not the developer who lies about this stuff.

the idea that everything that's shown in the video was created by the tools that us normal people will use was the same tools the devs used is still blowing my mind. i know LBP was amazing but this is like in a 3D environment now.

what i like most was the polar bear.
dreams-ps4-screenshot-02.jpg

i wonder how they will handle memory and how big can you make your "dream"

i wonder if they invited veteran LBP members to try this out. i'm assuming they have or will.

what i'm most excited to hear about is the game side of this. what exactly can we do. hopefully we get more news before PGW

Stampy

Can anyone explain what is 'displacement'. Alex tweeted previpusly that they disabled 'displacement everywhere' due to a bug. What does that mean?

i wonder how they will handle memory and how big can you make your "dream"

This is also what I am interested in. But try to look that intro when Alex walks on stage. The world looks humongous. I mean what would prevent them from creating some advanced technology which does adaptive and smart memory management? Something LBP3 tried to do, but required from users lots of tinkering, and was thus not user friendly, why couldn't this be made more automatic.

i wonder if they invited veteran LBP members to try this out. i'm assuming they have or will.

what i'm most excited to hear about is the game side of this. what exactly can we do. when is the paris game event?

They employed recently steve_big_guns. He did some fab stuff with LBP2 and worked as dev on LBP3.

BTW, PGW is late November.

hesido

That's awesome...

Can't find the 60fps video of the conference anymore, though :(

I'm having a hard time believing they are going for 60fps on a user-created content game... ....I mean with those graphics... (Shame LBP3 is not 60fps on PS4)

They need to be very, very clever in what they are doing then... Especially the physics, I guess they are past the restrictions of polygons and god knows you can probably have as much detail as you like on a scene.. But the physics of it, I can't imagine what they are doing. In LBP2 for example, when you put too many logic objects, the sync of logic shifted by a frame for some objects probably to maintain 30fps. This meant a one shot signal may not always be received by a sensor that was out of sync at the frame you'd like it to. That's why I got rid of that approach and made circular logic that ensured signals were received by the receiver.

JP

I keep watching the video and trying to work out what they're doing technically to get graphics on the screen that look like but it's just so different to anything that I've seen before. Really looking forward to finding out some of the technical stuff as it really is one of the most beautiful games that I've ever seen, it's almost like everything is painted but it's not just an effect on top of what;s there that makes things look a certain way.

1299014906192178021.gif

Matty77

What intrigues me is the amount of creative sharing they hinted at, hoping it's true collaboration. Never got to much into level creators because I am not well rounded and have the best ideas at the conceptual ideas. I know people who make really competent on the technical side type levels, but they are boring as shit.

What little they said seems to lead me to believe some of the best stuff might come from teams all focusing on what they are best at.

I'm definitely in for experiencing the work of others, but if it is as collab friendly as I am hoping maybe I will be able to contribute too.

Can't wait to see the stuff that pops out of the head of GAF.

The thing that is bugging me...

If you can build stuff that looks as good as what they showed in the trailer...wouldnt this be revolutionary? I mean that stuff looked good for passable CG animation, and with excellent art it looked convincing. No other game i have seen has this kind of look.

this already blows NMS out of the water, and i have no idea what it is

I would rather make things in real-life than make them in this bland, lifeless world.

But really though, it looks like it has potential. I'm not sure exactly how the creation system works other than the E3 presentation of "Step 1: Draw 2 sticks, Step 2: Now you have a person" but I'm interested enough to follow production, at least.

Jachaos

I want to play games,not make them.

No thanks again MM.

You know what the final game they played at the Nintendo World Championships was? Super Mario Maker. How much time did the two players on stage spend creating at the tournament? Yet they had a ton of fun. How much time did the people at Treehouse spend creating? They had a ton of fun.

Think of it like that instead.

KORNdoggy

Right. So you can create games in this, right? Is this basically LBP but without the limitations of Being a platformer and the lack of restraints in terms of creating assets?

I thought it was some "not really a game" type animation thing rather then a creation tool for games, but if it's capable of making games then consider me sold.

Top Bottom