• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Advance 4: SMB 3 out on NA Wii U VC tomorrow, includes e-Reader levels

Will we be able to play this co-op? Was that included in the previous Mario Advance VC releases?

EDIT: No. of Players: 1 player

Dammit.

It feels like Nintendo is really hitting its stride with the VC stuff and releasing constant quality now on a weekly basis. It's strange as many are anticipating the NX for this year or early next year.

Why didn't they do this at the start of the Wii U's life??

They do... if you live in Japan.

:/

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It feels like Nintendo is really hitting its stride with the VC stuff and releasing constant quality now on a weekly basis. It's strange as many are anticipating the NX for this year or early next year.

Why didn't they do this at the start of the Wii U's life??

Because then you'd be asking why Nintendo isn't releasing Virtual Console games anymore.

EDDIE-X

Neo Member
Pretty cool that they are adding the E-reader stuff but i wouldn't hold my breath for any of the promo levels from corocoro or the B dash de kakenukero level. Not sure if the are adding the switches and if so how will they even work, if they are going to be added to the rom. The switches required you to scan the card to turn them on & off.

Well, they did included B-Dash level in this release but with a different english name!!

At last our prayers were listened in order to be able to play that holy grail level :D

Because then you'd be asking why Nintendo isn't releasing Virtual Console games anymore.

Nintendo has more than a few big VC releases they could be doing/have done.

Rhythm Tengoku
Mario Paint
Sin and Punishment
EarthBound Beginnings
EarthBound
Mother 3
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan
Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2
Punch-Out!! (arcade)
Doc Louis' Punch-Out!!
Tingle's Balloon Fight DS
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (for US players)
Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (^)
Another Code: R - A Journey Into Lost Memories (^)
Disaster: Day of Crisis (^)
Grill-Off With Ultra Hand

And other Japan-only/promotional/rare games!

To be perfectly clear: the North American VC release includes all 38 of the regular and promotional/special e-Reader levels that Japan got - go to Level Card and they're all unlocked and available at the same time, at once, the Japan-exclusive ones with fancy new English-language names.

The simultaneous multiplayer in the Mario Bros. Classic mode is not available. In SMB3 itself, you can start a save in "Mario & Luigi" mode and handle that like a two-player game with one controller. Mario and Luigi control a little differently (Luigi has the high-jump, low-traction thing), but you've got two sets of lives, two sets of items. It's basically SMB3 2 player mode without the battle segments and with a slightly different Luigi. Or one player can play both characters with the different play styles, whatever floats your boat.

Edit: Also FWIW, since this game came out so late in the life of the GBA, graphics aren't really brightened/made pale for the original GBA screen, so no worries about that. Color saturation looked great to me on the Gamepad and an SDTV.

Tansut

To be perfectly clear: the North American VC release includes all 38 of the regular and promotional/special e-Reader levels that Japan got - go to Level Card and they're all unlocked and available at the same time, at once, the Japan-exclusive ones with fancy new English-language names.
38?? That's like half a whole new Mario game. I'm so excited for this.

The simultaneous multiplayer in the Mario Bros. Classic mode is not available. In SMB3 itself, you can start a save in "Mario & Luigi" mode and handle that like a two-player game with one controller. Mario and Luigi control a little differently (Luigi has the high-jump, low-traction thing), but you've got two sets of lives, two sets of items. It's basically SMB3 2 player mode without the battle segments and with a slightly different Luigi. Or one player can play both characters with the different play styles, whatever floats your boat.

Edit: Also FWIW, since this game came out so late in the life of the GBA, graphics aren't really brightened/made pale for the original GBA screen, so no worries about that. Color saturation looked great to me on the Gamepad and an SDTV.

Good to hear.

That being said, does it include the other e-Reader features, like being able to change the base game with things like vegetables, being able to use the Cape (!), and more modern Fire Flower rules (enemies turn into coins)?

Good to hear.

That being said, does it include the other e-Reader features, like being able to change the base game with things like vegetables, being able to use the Cape (!), and more modern Fire Flower rules (enemies turn into coins)?

Nope, unfortunately. What really sucks is that there was a Japanese-exclusive switch that made all enemies into more difficult enemies.

Good to hear.

As far as I can tell, opening up the Lakitu screens for scanning other cards just errors out and says it can't find the e-Reader. How do the Toad houses get unlocked in World e? If you open those up by beating levels and getting e or A coins in the World e levels, then you can at least get the extra items from those.

Will we be able to play this co-op? Was that included in the previous Mario Advance VC releases?

EDIT: No. of Players: 1 player

Dammit.

You can still do the two players on one map. You need to pass the controller though.

EDIT: To clarify, the Mario 3 portion can be played with two players, with each player taking a turn. The Mario Bros. portion can only be played with one player.

Impotaku

Well, they did included B-Dash level in this release but with a different english name!!

At last our prayers were listened in order to be able to play that holy grail level :D

Ooh they added B dash? nice one :)

Makes it even more worthy of a purchase then for newcomers.

That "remix" of the SMW Ghost house theme in the eWorld is... something...

Uhh... okay.

I'd be the first to complain about pale graphics or tinny, scratchy, or off music (example 1, example 2) in the Mario Advance series, but I can't say I have any beef with the SMW ghost house rendition here. It's just a trebley version of the SMW theme sequenced the same but with slightly different but not unfitting instruments.

Got SMB4A today, as someone who spent quite a bit of money a few years ago buying and collecting all the complete sets of the American SMB 3 e-cards, having all of the U.S. e-levels plus the Japanese levels is a bargain and a huge bonus well worth the $7.99. Until now, emulated and region converted printable e-reader files were the only way to enjoy the Japanese stages on an American copy of the game. Also, as said before, "No Time to Dawdle" is based on "Mad Dash" which was an ultra rare e-card only available as a promo in Japanese manga shops, you couldn't even take the card home, the player was only allowed to scan it. Due to this, it was the only SMB 3 e-reader level which wasn't emulated and made available as a printable e-reader file like the other stages. It's a great little stage, I still haven't been able to get all 5 gold coins on it.

Got SMB4A today, as someone who spent quite a bit of money a few years ago buying and collecting all the complete sets of the American SMB 3 e-cards, having all of the U.S. e-levels plus the Japanese levels is a bargain and a huge bonus well worth the $7.99. Until now, emulated and region converted printable e-reader files were the only way to enjoy the Japanese stages on an American copy of the game. Also, as said before, "No Time to Dawdle" is based on "Mad Dash" which was an ultra rare e-card only available as a promo in Japanese manga shops, you couldn't even take the card home, the player was only allowed to scan it. Due to this, it was the only SMB 3 e-reader level which wasn't emulated and made available as a printable e-reader file like the other stages. It's a great little stage, I still haven't been able to get all 5 gold coins on it.

Actually we managed to find someone who had the level in the save file and I released it as a Level Card. Too bad no one really noticed it.

Theorymon

My only issue is that sadly, I don't think theres a way to get some of the fun effects of certain ecards like the hard mode and using the cape feather in SMB3. Otherwise, having access to all the Ereader levels is a real delight!

My only issue is that sadly, I don't think theres a way to get some of the fun effects of certain ecards like the hard mode and using the cape feather in SMB3. Otherwise, having access to all the Ereader levels is a real delight!

Yes, that's the only drawback to the VC port. Using things like the cape and turnips in SMB 3 stages is really fun.

It's a shame they left out the Cape, Boomerang, etc, but bringing back all the limited levels is pretty great.

The levels got pretty nuts.

eXU3DxC.jpg

Yes, that's Mario Bros 3 with Mario Bros 2 Turnip pulling, with Mario World Charging Chucks. Makes Mario Maker look tame by comparison.

This is why when people said, "Mario 2 Mechanics won't work in Mario Maker!" I thought, "But they already did it before..."

EDDIE-X

Neo Member
It's a shame they left out the Cape, Boomerang, etc, but bringing back all the limited levels is pretty great.

This is why when people said, "Mario 2 Mechanics won't work in Mario Maker!" I thought, "But they already did it before..."

Yeah, I was expecting to see this kind of "mixing" on Super Mario Maker too. It would be great if they launch a patch with all the assets that are used in the e-reader levels from SMA4.

This is really great. I'm puzzled by the fact that some don't see the interest/value. It's more Mario 3, officially made by Nintendo designers, and previously locked away in an arcane format that few people purchased (and requires two GBAs to use). This is truly "from the vault" type stuff.

Don't have a Wii U but would definitely buy this if I did.

Whoa, Luigi feels crazy.

I don't remember him being this hard to control in Super Mario World Advance.

Also is it me, or do Mushrooms move the wrong direction? I thought they always move right, but in this game, they seem to always move left?

Peltz

Amazing. I don't usually buy VC stuff and already have all of the e-reader levels scanned on my cart, but I'll rebuy just to support the decision to include them.

Whoa, Luigi feels crazy.

I don't remember him being this hard to control in Super Mario World Advance.

Also is it me, or do Mushrooms move the wrong direction? I thought they always move right, but in this game, they seem to always move left?

Mario 3 mushrooms always move differently depending on which edge of the question block you punch. The opposite of the edge you hit I believe.

Edit: Yup. Opposite. http://protipoftheday.com/node/200.html

Peltz

Wow. Even the Japanese cards?

This has those too.
Yep. Not officially, but I have user-printed translated versions of the Japanese + rare US cards that actually scan plus a nearly complete genuine set of all US cards.

Together, they contain all of the levels.

I did a post on them with pictures a few months back in the Retrogaf Unite thread but can't link you right now because I'm on mobile.

foltzie1

Dear M2 or whomever is doing these ports.

Thank you for this, I sold my ereader way back in the day.

But as other have said, any chance to add in the other cards as a toggle like setting in the main game?

SMB2 Vegetables!

Yep. Not officially, but I have user-printed translated versions of the Japanese + rare US cards that actually scan plus a nearly complete genuine set of all US cards.

Together, they contain all of the levels.

I did a post on them with pictures a few months back in the Retrogaf Unite thread but can't link you right now because I'm on mobile.

Wait, doesn't the cart actually only fit 32(+1) levels though?

Randy5554

These E-Reader stages are so quirky in a really fun way. Glad we can finally easily access them all! I did forget how annoying the "just what I needed" voice is that they added for item pickups in this GBA version...

fucking e-reader levels. i am sold. i bought this game on GBA back when it 1st released for them, but then I never got an e-reader for some reason.

CDX

Didn't check the eshop yesterday for new releases and just saw this thread. Wow, ALL the e-reader levels.

I've always wanted to play them.

This is going to be so much fun, basically a ton of "new" official Mario levels to play. That is so worth the VC price to me.

leroidys

It is absolutely horrible; more so if we have to pay to 'upgrade'

It's not like the games are remotely near unplayable. The emulation isn't ideal, but under what criteria are they "absolutely horrible"? Hard to not see that as ridiculous hyperbole.

Top Bottom