• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eighth graders refuse to pose with Paul Ryan for photo-op

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As much as I enjoy seeing Paul Ryan being unpopular with the kids, I'm honestly surprised that mere 8th graders would be so politically aware.

I doubt most of them are. At that age it's mostly influence from parents/teachers plus trying to fit in with what your friends are doing even if you don't understand why.

From the article:

The students were on a field trip to Washington. Matthew found out the night before.

"I'm just not going to do it," Matthew texted his mother.

"Say you would rather not," she wrote back. And Matthew agreed.

"The point was, 'I don't want to be associated with him, and his policies and what he stands for,'" said Elissa Malespina, Matthew's mother.

ISOM

I doubt most of them are. At that age it's mostly influence from parents/teachers plus trying to fit in with what your friends are doing even if you don't understand why.

From the article:

I don't see the influence from the quotes you posted.

digdug2k

Lol at these kids understanding pr and optics better than all those silicon valley CEOs did after the election even.

kess

Kids are more aware than we give them credit for. The rise of Trump caused a bunch of problems with some kids being more into hateful ideas and another bunch being afraid they wouldn't be able to live in the country anymore. It was generally under-reported, but it was a common story from teachers.

Kind of reminds me of the worst of the Bush years. People voted Obama the first chance they had because they were fucking tired of Young Republicans shoving their warped notion of patriotism in their faces through high school.

The wheel gets reinvented every generation.

Kyzer

Banned
In a weird way one good thing out of this crazy ass period in American history is that it has engaged more people in American politics than ever before. Everyone is watching, and learning.

As much as I enjoy seeing Paul Ryan being unpopular with the kids, I'm honestly surprised that mere 8th graders would be so politically aware.

When I was in 7th and 8th grade we were doing speeches on political topics in my home room class.

This was during prop 187 in CA in San Diego county so fun times, let me tell you.

rjinaz

And all those black people that took photo ops with Trump in his office. I still shake my head at that.

As I understand it, if you are referring to the leadership of the traditionally Black colleges, those folks actually were not there to see Trump. He showed up though so he could get that photo and quickly left. They were blindsided. At least that's what I've read here from others.

RPGCrazied

Feel sorry for my nephews/nieces having to grow up during these times. When I as a kid I was watching TMNT and playing video games. Kind of hard to do now when the world is literally going to shit fast.

Anticol

Banned

Who cares, at least they have a positive influence in their lives, you guys should celebrate that.

Linkura

It was the 2000 election when I was in 8th grade and I was into it. Mainly because I thought W was such a dumbass and the stories about his stupidity were funny to me. I could see kids being more into it nowadays than you'd think thanks to Trump's utter stupidity.

Village

As far as kids being politically aware as someone who is still fairly young and who was even younger during bush, people being freaked out around you kinda gets you to investigate why people are freaked the fuck out

As I understand it, if you are referring to the leadership of the traditionally Black colleges, those folks actually were not there to see Trump. He showed up though so he could get that photo and quickly left. They were blindsided. At least that's what I've read here from others.

If that's true that kinda funny

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It was the 2000 election when I was in 8th grade and I was into it. Mainly because I thought W was such a dumbass and the stories about his stupidity were funny to me. I could see kids being more into it nowadays than you'd think thanks to Trump's utter stupidity.

I don't doubt that some are. But those are the exception to the rule.

rjinaz

You missed the part where his mom tells him what to say?

Getting guidance from your parents about what to say in a conflict situation isn't exactly the same thing. It seems the kids had the desire first.

Though I do agree with you that it's mostly parents and peers that influence them at that age. My 13 year old nephew is a huge Trump fan because his wealthy dad is. My Sister is just a school teacher that barely gets by and he mostly lives with her, and yet, he still favors Trump because his Dad does, He's the one that talks politics while my Sister does not.

ISOM

You missed the part where his mom tells him what to say?

But he seemed to have his own opinion on it before hand. He just didn't know how to do it politely. Nowhere did it seem like she's directly influencing his political opinions. I mean kids can be influenced obviously but I don't see it in what you posted.

Feel sorry for my nephews/nieces having to grow up during these times. When I as a kid I was watching TMNT and playing video games. Kind of hard to do now when the world is literally going to shit fast.

eh i was a kid through all the Bush years and still managed to fuck around constantly and distract my self from all the bad shit.

RPGCrazied

Getting guidance from your parents about what to say in a conflict situation isn't exactly the same thing. It seems the kids had the desire first.

Though I do agree with you that it's mostly parents and peers that influence them at that age. My 13 year old nephew is a huge Trump fan because his wealthy dad is. My Sister is just a school teacher that barely gets by and he mostly lives with her, and yet, he still favors Trump because his Dad does, He's the one that talks politics while my Sister does not.

I don't know how I'd cope having Trump supporters within my family. Wouldn't be pretty. Thankfully I don't.

jstripes

Banned
iEtdakQ.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

It's not the same thing, yes, but that one snippet of their presumably longer conversation suggests influence from the mom. If the kid's parents were hardcore Republicans, I might be more convinced that the kid is more of an independent thinker, but that still doesn't account for teachers or media.

Yeah. Same here. We didn't have super deep developed politics, but this is where you start and learn, and understand what the world is. We also had some deep discussions as teens about 9/11 as that was happening, some that wouldn't hold true but some surprisingly poignant.

Now i think of how well connected ideas are because of the internet, for better or for worse. While it is possible parental I influence is at play for some of these kids, I think it is unfair to label them all like that

Hazmat

That feeling when you have to private message Paul Ryan and ask him to untag you in that photo from last night.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
But he seemed to have his own opinion on it before hand. He just didn't know how to do it politely. Nowhere did it seem like she's directly influencing his political opinions. I mean kids can be influenced obviously but I don't see it in what you posted.

What a coincidence he seemed to have the same opinion about complicated issues that his mother also happens to have and who also told him how to say it to news reporters.

I'm sure a handful of them are not and have just been fed opinions by authority figures. In my experience as a former-eight grader, middle schoolers are interested enough to hold opinions on these things, but not enough to do independent research, critical thinking, and come to their own conclusions.

Can't say I'm not still happy to see it.

ISOM

What a coincidence he seemed to have the same opinion about complicated issues that his mother also happens to have and who also told him how to say it to news reporters.

You inferring a whole lot without actually showing any proof. If all you got is what you posted then you're just making assumptions.

rjinaz

I don't know how I'd cope having Trump supporters within my family. Wouldn't be pretty. Thankfully I don't.

Whenever he's around I talk about how bad Trump is for America, minorities, the poor. He just thinks Trump is so awesome because he's rich and can throw his weight around really, but then my nephew is kind of a little shit at times so it makes sense in a way. But, he respects me so he listens. If I spent more time with him than his Dad I'm quite certain I could get him to stop admiring Trump. But I don't see him all that much.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
you're just making assumptions.

But he seemed to have his own opinion on it before hand.
So are you.

Whenever he's around I talk about how bad Trump is for America, minorities, the poor. He just thinks Trump is so awesome because he's rich and can throw his weight around really, but then my nephew is kind of a little shit at times so it makes sense in a way. But, he respects me so he listens. If I spent more time with him than his Dad I'm quite certain I could get him to stop admiring Trump. But I don't see him all that much.
Good on you to try to get your nephew a balanced viewpoint. I'd just advise to be careful how you did it since a misunderstanding might occur if his dad thinks you're trying to brainwash his kid, depending on how in the tank his dad is for Republicans.

"I'm just not going to do it," Matthew texted his mother.

This part?
No, this part:
"Say you would rather not," she wrote back.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Seems like every time kids state a Republican point of view its because their parents brainwashed them, but every time they do something against Republicans they're praised as being smart.

Don't do this.

Republican points of views are generally idiotic though, so standing up against them deserves praise each and every goddamn time.

ISOM

So are you.

Good on you to try to get your nephew a balanced viewpoint. I'd just advise to be careful how you did it since a misunderstanding might occur if his dad thinks you're trying to brainwash his kid, depending on how in the tank his dad is for Republicans.

No, this part:

I'm not making assumptions lol. I'm going by what I'm reading, that's it. You're the one talking about the quotes obviously being from a longer conversation that we can't see. And then you assume the mother's political affiliation and biases that we have no idea about. Like come on man.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So have we heard calls of,"Parents feeding them lines!" and "Crisis actors!"?

Edit: Well nvm that question lol How silly of me to even ask.

rjinaz

So are you.

No, this part:

Eh I don't really care and neither does my Sister. She'd laugh in her ex's face. Ideally I wouldn't strive for my nephew to have a balanced view because both sides are not the same and that's never been more true than now, under a Trump presidency, but, it is what it is. I just share with him how I feel and he can take it how he wants seeing as how he likes me a lot.

Guys, like three of you have replied to Rentahamster after he got banned lol. I know it's easy to overlook, though. Kind of weird that he got banned for this, but dude picks some really weird hills to die on.

ISOM

Guys, like three of you have replied to Rentahamster after he got banned lol. I know it's easy to overlook, though. Kind of weird that he got banned for this, but dude picks some really weird hills to die on.

When I responded to him, he wasn't banned. Life comes at you fast.

MIMIC

Banned
I mostly sub for 6-8 graders, and I have to say, they hate the Trump Administration. I mean, fucking HATE them. This is an overwhelming Democratic county, but still. The things I hear, boy oh boy.

And I heard a few talking about how terrible DeVos was. I was so happy hearing them discussing political figures.

EDIT: Ugh, for some reason I thought this was about Pence :-/

Other parents see it differently. One of them disagreeing on social media that the students should respect the office of the Speaker of the House, even if they disagree with the man who holds that office.

Eh, what it means to "respect" him is debatable, but I definitely don't think it includes having to be photographed with him.

KHarvey16

I don't get the "respect for the office" arguments. Respect for the office is precisely why I have no respect for these people.

Dennis Hastert came to my middle school when I was in 7th grade and took a picture with my class. These kids that refused will be happy in 20 years when it comes out that Paul Ryan is a rapist pedophile.

I respect the office of the president, I just don't respect the person currently in it. He is making the office into a fucking joke.

Top Bottom