• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[KH2 spoils] rock impacts important part of body used to cover hole in neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Puncher

a8e479f5e09ebf55ae22851c6531db2b.jpg

Rock-kun is the real villain of the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

JevoGJh.gif

7he Talon

Philosophical question: Does it count as a spoiler if I've already beaten the game, but forgot about this scene, so in-turn, it's kind of been spoiled again?

Wait, there's a story in KH2.... and people actually care about it?

The game has an insane amount of cutscenes and it murders the pacing and is easily the worst part of the game.

The part about KH2 that everyone forgets about is that the worst part isn't the batshit story stuff, it's the inane, emotionless story stuff.

They rehash old Disney movies soooooo slowly and redo the scenes with no emotion and they end up having hours and hours of pacing ruining cutscenes.

Branduil

Some good thoughts on spoilerphobia:

When you stop engaging with storytelling entertainment as exercises in pure plot, and shift your appreciation to other aspects of whatever art form you choose, particularly craftsmanship, spoilers hold very little sway over you.

For example, no one (at least I hope not) gets spoiled by music snippets. Your experience isn't ruined if you hear 15 seconds of a yet to be released album. On the contrary, your desire to listen to it might increase. This is because most people engage with music holistically, rather than assigning undue importance to any single note or bar or track. You can, though it requires practice, engage in fiction in the same way. Appreciate the gestalt, rather than miring yourself in minutiae.

And my own thoughts:

Thinking back, I feel like LOST was where the whole spoiler obsession on the internet started. There was also some of that with the Star Wars prequels as well.

One of the big problems I have with excessive spoilerphobia is that it essentially idolizes pulpy "twists" and surprises in stories above things like themes, characterization, imagery, etc. Sure, there's nothing necessarily wrong with story twists, but to obsess excessively over the facts of the plot and the initial sensory experience is missing the forest for the trees. No great story has ever been great solely because of an unpredictable plot.

I mean, look at Oedipus Rex. That shit is like the Ancient Greece Game of Thrones, with the mother of all plot twists. And yet that very twist became so memetic that it's spoiled by a psychological theory. If the twist was all that mattered, people wouldn't still study Oedipus Rex in school. Who needs thematic depth and complex dramatic devices when you have PLOT TWISTS.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Your rationale is really that because there is so much stuff out there, what's the matter if you get some spoiled?

There is a hundred thousand times more story-driven content than you could ever plausibly consume in your lifetime, and more generated every second. What *is* the matter if some of it is "spoiled" for you? Spoiling does no harm to you in and of itself. The only reasonable personal concern about spoilers regards content you actually intend to consume, where the information revealed damages the experience you were hoping for.

Socially, considerations for your audience cannot realistically trend to "nothing can be spoiled," or life turns into a Key and Peele sketch. We rely on context and cues from cultural consciousness to determine what's acceptable in conversation.

A NeoGAF post can be tricky by comparison since any given post, or thread, will have thousands of diverse eyeballs on it, and we don't have the benefit of that real-world context, so we encourage (and in some cases, like currently airing TV show discussion threads, explicitly enforce) consideration about potentially spoiling others. However, this is a discussion forum, and without limits on what must be tip-toed around for the sake of an extreme edge case, we harm the capacity for and merit of discussion here.

You are not entitled to an impermeable protective bubble against all story details you haven't yet experienced first-hand -- anywhere -- and such a position would be detrimental to effective moderation here.

ChazGW7

I can't wait till all the newbies over-reacting about this thread actually play this scene and think to themselves "That's it?"

You are not entitled to an impermeable protective bubble against all story details you haven't yet experienced first-hand -- anywhere -- and such a position would be detrimental to effective moderation here.

I love that sentence.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Age isn't a sensical metric; cultural relevance (ie "I am you father") and common sense/courtesy is what dictates what should be spoiler-tagged or not

Ideally, one should always play it safe. How you feel about spoilers, if you care about them or not, if you feel people are to sensitive or not, doesn't really matter, because it isn't about you. You're basically deciding for others how they should experience something when you decide to not to spoiler-tag stuff
I think it's context sensitive, yeah.

Really obvious* stuff doesn't need to be spoiler tagged. Something that could potentially sour or otherwise change a person's attitude towards an event or experience should be.

*Culturally common knowledge (Darth Vader is Luke's father)
*Something that is bound to happen (see tag)
*Something that's inconsequential (Tidus rides a boat in Final Fantasy X) <-- yes, people in today's culture might get upset about this

Goofy getting hit by a rock is not a spoiler. In fact the entire premise of the OP is about how dumb that scene is because of how obvious it is even to the least perceptive of players that Goofy isn't going to die. If the OP made a topic saying something like

THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL

How dumb is it that Terra is never saved in Kingdom Hearts 3!

That's a real spoiler. It's a key point of the plot most people don't know of yet and are looking forward to experiencing for themselves.

The weird thing about this thread is how the OP phrased it. It made it seem like a spoiler, and to be frank, in 99% of games it probably would be, but it's actually not because of how fucking weird the KH cutscenes are.

Just my two cents.

aravuus

I mean, this wasn't even kind of accurate when you posted it, but

it didn't even hold up for half an hour either way.

That's the mildest insult I've seen in this thread, and hell, I still don't think that's shitting on him. If the post was just "op is an ass" I'd agree, but it's "op is an ass for doing something like this" which, while I don't agree with personally, isn't just an insult, it's closer to criticism of OP's actions.

There is a hundred thousand times more story-driven content than you could ever plausibly consume in your lifetime, and more generated every second. What *is* the matter if some of it is "spoiled" for you? Spoiling does no harm to you in and of itself. The only reasonable personal concern about spoilers regards content you actually intend to consume, where the information revealed damages the experience you were hoping for.

Socially, considerations for your audience cannot realistically trend to "nothing can be spoiled," or life turns into a Key and Peele sketch. We rely on context and cues from cultural consciousness to determine what's acceptable in conversation.

A NeoGAF post can be tricky by comparison since any given post, or thread, will have thousands of diverse eyeballs on it, and we don't have the benefit of that real-world context, so we encourage (and in some cases, like currently airing TV show discussion threads, explicitly enforce) consideration about potentially spoiling others. However, this is a discussion forum, and without limits on what must be tip-toed around for the sake of an extreme edge case, we harm the capacity for and merit of discussion here.

I don't think anyone asked for this, though.

oti

Banned
One of the dumbest and most inconsequential scenes in entertainment history sparked a giant discussion about spoiler culture.

Because Goofy is in KH3's promotional materials!
I would not assume such things about Kingdom Hearts. When Goofy died in KH2, his body was probably invaded by an alternate universe version of him. In this other universe, there would be a bloody conflict where the ill King Mickey's shady adviser, Xeavidanus, outlawed believing in friendship. The citizens revolted, but the military deployed an army of Goofies, mass-produced from cloning vats with upside-down black hearts on them. This conflict was dubbed la Guerre de la Gawrsh. When the KH2 Goofy died, his consciousness was swapped with one of those Goofy clones that also bit the dust at the exact same moment. This clone, who is revealed to be called Emptinoth, is spying on the gang and relays information to Malificent, whom he refers to as "Mommy". He starts doubting his mission throughout the course of KH3 though, as he slowly learns that friendship might be worth believing in after all.

This thread is a case study on it.

I suppose that's one way you could choose to look at it, but a great deal of what I've been reading seems to be focused on the key aspect of keeping spoilers out of thread titles, which is a far cry from seeking said impenetrable bubble and more of a middle ground. You're going to get people wanting extremes on both sides, sure, but I don't think it boiled down the way it's being characterized. I don't know what I'm griping about, the title was changed though I don't claim to know the intent behind that.

I don't think either side was being that unreasonable. On the one hand, it's a game over a decade old. On the other hand, it recently got an influx of new players and the spoiler was in an incredibly prominent place. No one (or very few) were asking for an impenetrable bubble any more than anyone was asking for spoilers to be a free-for-all as a blanket ruling.

Hektor

I've avoided watching anything kingdom Hearts related FOR THE LAST 12 YEARS OF MY LIFE so I could finally play this rererererelease on ps4, the only platform that runs the game at 60FPS.

Thank you for ruining my endurance run op!

Mortemis

Banned
what the fuck is going on in this thread

these titles omg

I've avoided watching anything kingdom Hearts related FOR THE LAST 12 YEARS OF MY LIFE so I could finally play this rererererelease on ps4, the only platform that runs the game at 60FPS.

Thank you for ruining my endurance run op!

&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;

Brakke

Banned
I will commission you $100 to write a "la Guerre de la Gawrsh" epic poem of between one and two thousand words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom