• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Korea's first black model faces widespread racism

Rootbeer

Banned
Man SK... just when I'm starting to discover and really enjoy stuff coming out of your country I find instances of things like this.

teenage-male-model-han-hyun-min-s-long-legs-and-powerful-strut-have-made-him-a-rising-star-on-south-korean-catwalks-but-his-agent-knew-there-would-be-a-problem-in-the-ethnically-homogenous-country-he--1499742836828-6.jpg

Teenage male model Han Hyun-Min's long legs and powerful strut have made him a rising star on South Korean catwalks, but his agent knew there would be a problem in the ethnically homogeneous country: he is half black.

South Korean model Han Hyun-Min has a Nigerian father in a society where racial discrimination is widespread and people of mixed race are commonly referred to as "mongrels".

A government survey in 2015 showed that 25 per cent of South Koreans do not want a foreigner as a neighbour - far higher than the 5.6 per cent in the US and China's 10.5 per cent.

Full Article

That sucks.

I do remember getting kicked out of resturaunts because they didn't serve foreigners while I was in Seoul

Still had a blast though

Aiii

So not worth it
Lets hope his rising popularity can help spread some knowledge and acceptance of other races to South Korea.

EVOL 100%

Korea's gonna get FUCKED when mixed race folk start to build up in numbers. People are so unbelievably xenophobic, it's disgusting.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Dude is fly as fuck.

What a shame :/ Not a good look, SK.

GreekWolf

That sucks.

I do remember getting kicked out of resturaunts because they didn't serve foreigners while I was in Seoul

Still had a blast though

I don't know how.

There's no way I could enjoy myself in any country where racism is legally protected to the extent a restaurant can flat out refuse service due to my skin color.

I don't know what's more amazing to me:
1. SK is only getting its first black model in 2017
2. There's a black model at all

I'm not surprised at the amount of hate. Its a shame that in this time of the internet where a conversation with a person from a different country, gender, race, etc. is only a few mouse clicks away, people still hold on to ignorant views. With each passing year I become more convinced that information and statistics aren't what changes people's minds.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Kind of shocking statistics there. Hopefully the dude will manage to soldier through the adversity as a means of challenging those attitudes.

Future

So SK is about 5x more racist than the US, interesting.

US gets a lot of attention for it due to slavery and the fact that it has many people of many races living together. But many other countries that are just generally less diverse in general sometimes can have it worse. And generally, dark skinned people always have it worse..... even if the light skinned majority isn't exactly white

For as much as black activism is labeled a US-centric issue (I have friends who didn't "get" why BLM did a protest in London some time ago), Racism is worldwide unfortunately, and as much as people can try to turn their noses up, at least an effort is being made in the US compared to most other parts of Europe or Asia

Edit: as a side-note - He looks fly as hell.

Laieon

Especially in such a society.

As someone who's been living in Korea for the past 4 years, this comment doesn't really make sense. If anything, I'd expect this from such a society. Korea's a country that isolated itself for something like 200 years (every hear of the hermit kingdom?) and then suffered from poverty and invasions until fairly recently. If I'd expect any country to be widely racist, it's one that hasn't had all that much exposure to other cultures.

Still love it here (and I feel like the vast amount of Koreans are overwhelmingly welcoming), but it is a bit weird seeing "No foreigners allowed!" signs on restaurants, bars, and clubs every now and then.

So SK is about 5x more racist than the US, interesting.
Pretty typical for racially homogeneous nations, actually. A *lot* of countries are *far* more racist than you may think. The less people interact with other races, the more likely they are to develop damaging stereotypes and deep mistrust. Korea is *extremely* homogeneous.

I'm actually surprised the number for China in the OP is so low, but I fully admit to being ignorant of relevant information.

Everyone knows how it is to be black in a majority of the world. It's fucking brutal. I don't know why OP is acting like this is some kind of surprise.

People are 'grade A'dirt for some reason when it comes to race.

And Japan, and China, etc etc. SE Asia is a rough place to be a minority.

...Those three are East Asia in general. SE Asia is nations like Malaysia, Thailand, the Phillipines, etc. Which are diverse in terms of regional ethnicities, though not broad racial groups.

South Korea is not that diverse in either sense though, so sadly this is not unexpected. Credit Han though, hope he makes it, and makes a difference.

Everyone knows how it is to be black in a majority of the world. It's fucking brutal. I don't know why OP is acting like this is some kind of surprise.

It's because Blacks get hit not only with a serving of Racism, but a serving of Anti Blackness. They get served with that double decker they never ordered or wanted.

vordhosbn

Banned
A country where people worship white beauty so much they have the highest rate of plastic surgery in the world, doesn't like black people?

tenor.gif

Pretty typical for racially homogeneous nations, actually. A *lot* of countries are *far* more racist than you may think. The less people interact with other races, the more likely they are to develop damaging stereotypes and deep mistrust.

Are we just going to pretend this is not specific to black people? Nothing to do with being homogenous as they would love to live next to white people.

They just don't like black people. Let's stop with the excuses.

bionic77

It is insane how many people who have never met a black or Jewish person will have some irrational hatred towards them.

As someone who's been living in Korea for the past 4 years, this comment doesn't really make sense. If anything, I'd expect this from such a society. Korea's a country that isolated itself for something like 200 years (every hear of the hermit kingdom?) and then suffered from poverty and invasions until fairly recently. If I'd expect any country to be widely racist, it's one that hasn't had all that much exposure to other cultures.

Still love it here (and I feel like the vast amount of Koreans are overwhelmingly welcoming), but it is a bit weird seeing "No foreigners allowed!" signs on restaurants, bars, and clubs every now and then.

This is exactly what I meant. Thanks for explaining it.

Laieon

Are we just going to pretend this is not specific to black people? Nothing to do with being homogenous as they would love to live next to white people.

It's not excuses. It's facts. Black people definitely have it harder here, but discrimination isn't solely exclusive to them.

Didn't Hines Ward struggle with this as well? Seems they haven't changed.

Yup, then when Steelers won the SB Korea suddenly were HUGE Hines fans for a brief moment then it was back to "who are you!?"

Amerie (Korean/Black) singer had issues there too, had to cancel her few concerts there.

Tasha (Korean/Black rapper whose lived nearly all her life in Korea) took A LOT of shit and still does in fact she made a track about it called "Black Happiness", and here are translated lyrics, they're especially vulgar against her child (father is Tiger JK of Drunken Tiger)

vordhosbn

Banned
It is insane how many people who have never met a black or Jewish person will have some irrational hatred towards them.
It's not excuses. It's facts.

In SK they don't even want to sit next to black people in public transit, forget about being their "neighbor". Every foreigner experiences a little discrimination from nationalists, but many of the population just finds black people disgusting.

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRK_kMciVBM

As a white male in Korea the last seven years it can be hard enough.

Taxi drivers don't want to take you, some places flat out have signs on the doors saying no foreigners, people not wanting to sit next to you on the bus or subway.

But non white friends have it much worse, especially with the comments.

The sad thing is that the most unwelcoming people tend to be the younger generations.

A country where people worship white beauty so much they have the highest rate of plastic surgery in the world, doesn't like black people?

tenor.gif

There are negative stereotypes of white people in East Asia too. From what I recall from second hand accounts, there's a pervasive belief that white people have long noses, loose morals and are overly aggressive.

Of course that's not to say that they may not dislike black people even more. They could see white people as a lower class of human, and black people as not human at all.

The cultural dissonance to have your entire pop-culture built around shit you stole from black street culture and music (much like the rest of east Asia) and yet be revolted by the very idea of a black person being equal to you.

East Asian racism is a special brand of dehumanizing.

There are negative stereotypes of white people in East Asia too. From what I recall from second hand accounts, there's a pervasive belief that white people have long noses, loose morals and are overly aggressive.

From my experience in Korea, the overly aggressive part comes from the military.

Loose morals is definitely a stereotype, can be really bad for blonde girls in Busan late at night with Korean businessmen believing them to be Russian prostitutes.

sinonobu

Banned
Yeah some population here are severe racist and even I was part of that (kinda) until I actually studied abroad.

I mean this is a country where people protested against Lady Gaga because she's "anti-christian".

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't know why OP is acting like this is some kind of surprise.
It's not. Much like China, Japan and many other Asian countries the anti foreigner sentiment, to varying degrees among them, is well documented. And by extension we know it hits extra hard on those of certain origins.

But, from my experience at least, SK is usually exposed in two ways. That of its cultural exports such as media and cuisine and regarding its relationship with NK, where it's very much seen as a victim and an ally that needs defending. Not enough about these other aspects get enough attention, IMO.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
The cultural dissonance to have your entire pop-culture built around shit you stole from black street culture and music (much like the rest of east Asia) and yet be revolted by the very idea of a black person being equal to you.

East Asian racism is a special brand of dehumanizing.

Really is something, ain't it?

Top Bottom