• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Korea's first black model faces widespread racism

sandy1297

And Japan, and China, etc etc. SE Asia is a rough place to be a minority.

Japan, Korea and China are not SE Asia

Funny thing is SE Asian also got the same treatment in those countries.

There was one video where an Indonesian and a white American trying to ask for direction in Seoul and the treatment is night and day. Most people dont even acknowledge the Indonesian dude while going out of their way to help the American

sandy1297

Hmm I got a best friend he went to Japan he liked it he just hating using their bathrooms. For the most part they treated him fairy well. He told me he went to McDonalds and the girl tried to say he didnt pay for his food. So the cop had to come in and he literally had to talk to him with google translate. Plus he's a big guy about 6'2 so that didnt help.

I'm not sure how tall is 6'2 in cm. But I dont really think that situation is anyhow race related. Maybe the girl do think your friend just didnt pay?

And the toilet in Tokyo is like the best in the world.

KillLaCam

Banned
I'm not sure how tall is 6'2 in cm. But I dont really think that situation is anyhow race related. Maybe the girl do think your friend just didnt pay?

And the toilet in Tokyo is like the best in the world.

I think his friend was talking about this EVIL toilet

toilets.jpg

I read about him in Netizenbuzz a few weeks ago. The comments from Korean Netizens were actually really kind and supportive which gives me hope.

http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.co.nz/2017/06/profile-on-korean-nigerian-model-han.html?m=1

NetizenBuzz is biased garbage though - they don't give a full picture of the comments because they probably wanted to paint a progressive picture. In other cases, it could comments whitewashing every time a K-pop group does Blackface or something else equally appalling or when they railroad whoever they do not like at the moment by getting I-Netizens enraged.

Zoe

He wasn't in Tokyo I forgot where he works for Bridgestone Firestone. He told me about some toilet that shoot water up your ass he hated that. lmao.

I know he paid he had proof he paid. If he didn't the cop would had did some shit and reported him got fired. His white coworker got sent back to the states for acting up and got fired.

I'm going to assume that's it and I can see why his ass would hate it. He's a big guy that got to bend down like that.

Washlets go on the western toilets, not the squatters.

In SK they don't even want to sit next to black people in public transit, forget about being their "neighbor". Every foreigner experiences a little discrimination from nationalists, but many of the population just finds black people disgusting.

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRK_kMciVBM

Thanks for this video. I saw it and this one below
https://youtu.be/vA7CcAvhpoI

I had read that South Koreans were racist,didn't know how bad it is. Folks are racist af.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's a real risk/reward situation with the toilets in Japan. You either get a futuristic robot that warms your butt and soothes you with ocean noises as it sprays your balls clean, or you get a dirty portal to hell in the floor.

This is on topic, right?

It's a real risk/reward situation with the toilets in Japan. You either get a futuristic robot that warms your butt and soothes you with ocean noises as it sprays your balls clean, or you get a dirty portal to hell in the floor.

This is on topic, right?

the former is the greatest thing ever. Thank god I never had to experience the latter.

awe they call him mongrel, it's sorta nice to see that the Mongol's taking over for a spell still effect these people so many years later

yes i know i'm not using that right...sorta

Wouldn't call any of those countries SOUTH East Asia.

But yeah, they're fucked for racism. Japan fetishises the "halfs" though (but only if they're half white because SIGHHHH).

Not entirely true. Didn't a half black woman just win Miss Japan last year or something?
Of course there were shitbags online talking trash, but that is to be expected nowadays, unfortunately. Seems like she was very popular among the general populace.
Pretty much any "half" is going to face stereotypes and diet racism, though a half-black half-Japanese person is obviously going to stand out more.

Most of my friends who have lived in both countries did say that they ran into more inconveniences in SK, despite the English level being higher and such. Especially restaurants and bars straight up denying foreigners service.

I've still never been denied service in my 10 years living in Japan.

The problem with apartment hunting is real though. It's fucked up, but as someone who has seen at least a dozen foreigners dip out of leases for various reasons I can sort of understand why that shit happens.

Not entirely true. Didn't a half black woman just win Miss Japan last year or something?
Of course there were shitbags online talking trash, but that is to be expected nowadays, unfortunately. Seems like she was very popular among the general populace.
Pretty much any "half" is going to face stereotypes and diet racism, though a half-black half-Japanese person is obviously going to stand out more.

Most of my friends who have lived in both countries did say that they ran into more inconveniences in SK, despite the English level being higher and such. Especially restaurants and bars straight up denying foreigners service.

I've still never been denied service in my 10 years living in Japan.

The problem with apartment hunting is real though. It's fucked up, but as someone who has seen at least a dozen foreigners dip out of leases for various reasons I can sort of understand why that shit happens.

from my understanding there are japanese only places in japan too.

Interestingly enough, there are a few Japanese only clubs in Bangkok Thailand.

Metroxed

People kept telling me it was healthier to use that type of toilet. I don't wanna believe them

It is. Squatting is a more natural position that sitting, that's how children do it (also most other mammals if you think about it). It's better for the vowels too.

from my understanding there are japanese only places in japan too.

Interestingly enough, there are a few Japanese only clubs in Bangkok Thailand.

I've only heard of that happening at places like strip clubs, brothels, etc. but I guess it is possible in certain areas. Definitely not a thing you will run into in Osaka, even in the more isolated areas.

[boots]

Thanks for this video. I saw it and this one below
https://youtu.be/vA7CcAvhpoI

I had read that South Koreans were racist,didn't know how bad it is. Folks are racist af.

Yeah, why am I totally not surprised to see you in here and taking this stance...

As a matter fact I have two Chinese restaurants within 2 blocks of my residence at either end, 3 if I expand it to 8 blocks. And yes I eat beef and pork, but here where I'm from 🇺🇸, dogs are a man's best friend. We don't eat dogs or cats or hamsters. And yea I should be wary of the Chinese dude maybe. Apple sticks are good tho.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240570084&postcount=51

Funny how the ones that show their racist asses are the ones to always blame others for it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
And Japan, and China, etc etc. SE Asia is a rough place to be a minority.

Japan is nowhere near this bad. I say this as someone who has lived in Japan for years.

When I taught English in Korea, I had dinner with a fellow foreigner who happened to be black. She told me some real horror stories. Had parents pull their kids from her class, coworkers putting on blackface "as a joke", people generally believing that she's less intelligent and talking at her very slowly in English, being called ugly specifically because she was black, etc.

She'd been there two years and yet still wanted to stay. The people who were good to her were so good that it negated the horrific other bullshit she endured, somehow. Never kept in touch with her, but I wish I'd had the courage at the time to tell her how much I admired her.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
US gets a lot of flak, but compared to a lot of other countries USA is better.

Look at any countries in Asia, from SK to India, you'll experience racism there probably more than you will in America.

Look at the recent threads about Black Americans experiencing racism in certain parts of Europe.

America just gets a lot more attention.

disagree 100%

black and i live in south korea now. raised in america. id rather deal with the racism here than in america any day.

Usobuko

Banned
[boots];243232722 said:
Yeah, why am I totally not surprised to see you in here and taking this stance..

Funny how the ones that show their racist asses are the ones to always blame others for it.

Learn not to engage with them.

In GAF, it's really hard to find posters with any realm of consistency and not just pushing a view point for their own benefit.

Look at how many bothered to reply whenever a thread of brown civilian lives got destroyed via drone strike.

All these equality and fairness from the great old USA propaganda are bullshit, especially coming from them.

Goofalo

Just clocked this is a LOTTE product.

A korean company

Lotte is Korean/Japanese.

It was started in Japan after the occupation , by a Korean who was raised mostly in Japan. He did repatriate at some point, and started the Korean branch in the 60's. He has a Japanese name, and splits his time between both countries.

It's a unique product of the socio-political economic situation between the countries at the time.

Lotte isn't really considered a Korean company in Japan, nor is it really considered a Japanese company in Korea. Especially since it's only been in the last 25 years that Japanese products were available for open importation into Kore.

KillLaCam

Banned
disagree 100%

black and i live in south korea now. raised in america. id rather deal with the racism here than in america any day.
I agree. I'm in Singapore right but I've lived in South Korea. It's in general waaaaaay better than America as a black guy. Sure I've had some racist things happen but theyre all small and don't compare to what happens in the US.

I actually wanna move back to Korea soon and I've never had a racist situation in Singapore

watershed

Banned
I agree. I'm in Singapore right but I've lived in South Korea. It's in general waaaaaay better than America as a black guy. Sure I've had some racist things happen but theyre all small and don't compare to what happens in the US.

I actually wanna move back to Korea soon and I've never had a racist situation in Singapore
Exactly. It's fundamentally different. Being a foreigner is of course a different experience. But as a POC living in South Korea with lots of other expat POC, we never felt like South Korea was systemically invested in our failure or oppression and even the casual discrimination we encountered felt far less hateful or aggressive than in the US.

Top Bottom