• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Korea's first black model faces widespread racism

The beauty trends and looks are inspired by Korean movie stars and celebrities, the plastic surgery they choose and skin lightening routines are too look like other Koreans not Julia Roberts.

I agree with this, but at the same time those celebs are having the 'western' surgery.

Koreans want to look like their celebs who have western surgery.

The beauty trends and looks are inspired by Korean movie stars and celebrities, the plastic surgery they choose and skin lightening routines are too look like other Koreans not Julia Roberts.

So there are no outside influences whatsoever on these beauty trends? But yet their culture shows these outside influences.

WaterAstro

Is the racist demographic older people? I think since SK is adopting a lot of things from African American culture, like raps and gangster stuff, that the younger crowd will not be racist.

I would think that Japan is also facing similar racist feelings, but they have Jero, the first black Enka singer, that was very popular with the younger crowds.

ITT: White Americans being smug about the fact that the are slightly less racist compared to the South Koreans despite the fact that South Korea is a pretty homogenous nation and that America claims to be the bastion of human rights and multiculturalism.

ITT: White Americans being smug about the fact that the are slightly less racist compared to the South Koreans despite the fact that South Korea is a pretty homogenous nation and that America claims to be the bastion of human rights and multiculturalism.
I wouldn't say it's slightly less racist if there are laws literally encouraging racism in that country

What are you talking about? Who is saying the US doesn't have it's own racial issues. What country doesn't have racial issues and disproportionately hates black people? I think people are seemingly rightfully pointing out that parts of Asia has a special brand of racism that makes you recall what the US experienced in the Civil Rights Era.

From denial of service at restaurants, bars, and in public transit. Although obviously it isn't outright encouraged and officially on the books like Jim Crow was. And it helps there are no guns - less people killed unlike the US. But the US gun problem is a whole separate thing. But it's certainly looking like a bad state of affairs if you happen to have some melanin in your skin.

A government survey in 2015 showed that 25 per cent of South Koreans do not want a foreigner as a neighbour - far higher than the 5.6 per cent in the US and China's 10.5 per cent.

only 5.6% of people in the US don't want a foreigner as a neighbour?

Err..

giphy.gif

Is the racist demographic older people? I think since SK is adopting a lot of things from African American culture, like raps and gangster stuff, that the younger crowd will not be racist.

I would think that Japan is also facing similar racist feelings, but they have Jero, the first black Enka singer, that was very popular with the younger crowds.

I can only speak from my own experiences as a white male, which of course are not gonna come anywhere near to what friends have experienced, but i view the younger generation as less welcoming to foreigners. A lot of the older generation tend to remember the Korean war and are very thankful for foreign help.

The younger generation seems to want to keep their distance at time. In Gangnam, the place PSY made famous, they have bars and clubs that flar out refuse foreigners, even white people. I remember an article in a Korean paper a view years back that younger Korean felt threatened about losing jobs in the key industries to foreigners and that was a reason why they were not welcoming.

Of course it is my own experience and I am sure a large percentage of older Koreans would not want their children marrying non-Koreans.

JimiNutz

Banned
Sounds to me like your mate was already racist, but just feels safer living in a country where as a white male nobody will bother you. I have heard a lot of white people say that there are no black or muslim people to make them feel threatened.

I suppose that's very likely but he was SO Liberal when I knew him. He was a Philosophy student and heavily involved in campus politics. I suppose you don't just turn into a racist overnight though.

only 5.6% of people in the US don't want a foreigner as a neighbour?

Err..

giphy.gif

Probably the abstract nature of the statement. After all, a 'foreigner' can be anyone, like say... a white Brit. Ask them if they want an Iraqi, Nigerian, or Mexican neighbour and the answer might be quite different.

The cultural dissonance to have your entire pop-culture built around shit you stole from black street culture and music (much like the rest of east Asia) and yet be revolted by the very idea of a black person being equal to you.

East Asian racism is a special brand of dehumanizing.

Take everything you can hijack from a different source and then drop kick the rest.

LordKasual

Banned
"GAME OVER"

" BAD LUCK "

" MONEY AND POWER "

Jesus christ this article lol. Is the kid successful or is he a flop?

I'm just gonna be happy that he's a working model, I feel like that counts for something.

I feel like the fact that he's a "Rising Star" over there should be a bit more prevalent than the racist minority who do what they usually do. But what do i know. : (

_Ryo_

This is very unfortunate and awful, but it is not surprising. I've read a lot of shameful stories about racism in SK, seems to be quite a xenophobic country.

It really makes me sad because I'd love to visit there some day but I don't feel like I ever would now, even if I could afford to.

Ovid

Right but why were blacks enslaved en masse over other populations? Simple logistics?
Yes.

Prior to Europeans venturing to the New World they traveled south to West Africa. I believe it was the Portuguese that first made this journey. The British were the laggards in the quest to the New World after seeing how rich the Spanish and Portuguese were getting. It was easier for them to enslave Africans as a labor force to develop parts of S. America, the Carribean and N. America. European racism toward the Black race was shaped as a result of the slave trade.

the african slaves were physically able to tolerate conditions and exposure to illnesses that would kill the whites and the native American slaves. the people they enslaved first began to die out, so they had to go find someone else.
This too.

The African population were better equipped than the White population.

The Native rebellions and disease played a role as well. The Europeans couldn't get a handle on the Native population. Africa proximity was the next best thing.

Haha SK still on that "purebred" shit I see. I'm sure that won't change in our lifetimes but it's still entertaining.

I wish this young brother the best. Gonna be a long road.

akira28

Right but why were blacks enslaved en masse over other populations? Simple logistics?

the african slaves were physically able to tolerate conditions and exposure to illnesses that would kill the whites and the native American slaves. the people they enslaved first began to die out, so they had to go find someone else.

"GAME OVER"

" BAD LUCK "

" MONEY AND POWER "

Jesus christ this article lol. Is the kid successful or is he a flop?

I'm just gonna be happy that he's a working model, I feel like that counts for something.

I feel like the fact that he's a "Rising Star" over there should be a bit more prevalent than the racist minority who do what they usually do. But what do i know. : (

Okay

Is you saying we durable? LOL

Pretty much this. They quite literally killed off the entirety of the central american and south american natives which comprised the majority of their slaves and workers. African slaves were seen as "tougher" (obviously genetics says we're all the fucking same but hey).

Yes.

Prior to Europeans venturing to the New World they traveled south to West Africa. I believe it was the Portuguese that first made this journey. The British were the laggards in the quest to the New World after seeing how rich the Spanish and Portuguese were getting. It was easier for them to enslave Africans as a labor force to develop parts of S. America, the Carribean and N. America.

Didn't the various governments of West Africa have any kind of standing army that would fight back against European invaders trying to steal their citizens?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The white skin fetish that Koreans have isn't because of white people or Western culture. It's been a thing in Asia, at least in Japan and Korea, since the early days when Korea still had a royal family with a King and Japan with geisha.

As for the 5x more racist than Americans, I think they're just more honest about it. I find it extremely hard to believe that only 5.6% of Americans are racist. That's laughable. .

The poll only tells you 5.6% of Americans and 25% of Koreans are happy to tell a stranger they're racist. there's no control for honesty.

And Korean beauty culture samples more than white powder color from European ideals.

Korea's gonna get FUCKED when mixed race folk start to build up in numbers. People are so unbelievably xenophobic, it's disgusting.
They'll go through what every previously homogeneous western societies are going through. While most will eventually be fine with it, there's always a segment of the population that will double down on prejudice. Though with time, that segment get's less and less relevant.
It's the kind of thing that literally takes generations to happen. But with globalization and the decline in birthrates in developed countries, the notion of homogeneous societies will increasingly become a thing of the past.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is you saying we durable? LOL

Hard working white guy: "Driven, focused"
Hard working black guy: "Sturdy, durable"
Hard working Asian guy: " bought all the houses in Vancouver!"
Hard working Inuit guy: "They have a hundred different words for hard work!"
Hard working Mexican dude: "Lazy indolent"

Source: white People.

Izuna

Banned
1415385536_how_to_scare_korean_women_in_korea.gif

Staged or not, every time racism in East Asia comes up as a topic, this gif comes to mind.

This fucking gif out of context again

She's a fan of the dude so she's shocked/happy to see him.

---

Does Crystal Kay not count? I'm sure she did some modelling...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This fucking gif out of context again

She's a fan of the dude so she's shocked/happy to see him.

Does Crystal Kay not count? I'm sure she did some modelling...
I love how when people defend this gif they always talk about the woman always. Completely ignoring the guy with the far more extreme reaction.

Hint of you have completely ignore an element of piece for your argument to work it's not a salient argument.

Didn't the various governments of West Africa have any kind of standing army that would fight back against European invaders trying to steal their citizens?
For a long time the most common form of slave trade actually involved trading prisoners of war and other people who belonged to other tribes for goods with the local leaders.

frontovik

Banned
I remain surprised that certain social hubs are banned for foreigners in S. Korea and Japan.

Surely, that does not exist in Western Europe?

Izuna

Banned
I love how when people defend this gif they always talk about the woman always. Completely ignoring the guy with the far more extreme reaction.

Hint of you have completely ignore an element of piece for your argument to work it's not a salient argument.

What? The dude is making a classic "WHOA" reaction that's staged for the program. Have you ever seen an Asian variety show

Ovid

The Europeans and Africans didn't hate each other. They were seen as trading partners.

Tribal leaders traded goods salt with Europeans for African labor.

Usobuko

Banned
You may not get shot or attacked for being black but there are more folks on average that dislike you because of your skin tone?

Yup, sounds about right.

I agree with this, but at the same time those celebs are having the 'western' surgery.

Koreans want to look like their celebs who have western surgery.

But what do you mean by "western"? It's like the OP is about Koreans' that are racist as fuck to people with mixed parents, and I know from living here that includes one white parent, and that's all about how they look different. But then people are getting surgery for it. I've never seen a Korean with surgery that looks like one of my colleagues's kids who are from mixed families?

For a long time the most common form of slave trade actually involved trading prisoners of war and other people who belonged to other tribes for goods with the local leaders.

So Europeans traded for slaves with the local African authorities?

Yes. Usually in exchange for jewels, guns, or other material goods. Eventually when the 'triangle trade' was in full swing, it went:
1) Goods from Western Europe which were taken to Western Africa and traded for...
2) Slaves, then taken to the Americas and sold, the profits from which were used to buy...
3) Raw goods, like cotton and sugar, to be taken back to Europe for use and/or processing.

Eventually the European powers - primarily Portugal and Britain - set up shop within the region personally, but even in the 1700s, many slaves were kidnapped inland by African slavers. It was even a bit of a problem when Sierra Leone was first being colonised, to prevent the colonists being taken (back) into slavery and undermining the whole point. But make no mistake, it was Europeans that drove the trade, and the cultural notions that emerged from it.

This is very unfortunate and awful, but it is not surprising. I've read a lot of shameful stories about racism in SK, seems to be quite a xenophobic country.

It really makes me sad because I'd love to visit there some day but I don't feel like I ever would now, even if I could afford to.

Yup. Not wasting my money to travel somewhere I'm not wanted I can get that shit right here made in USA.

Top Bottom