• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OUYA - A new $99 console powered by Android [Kickstarter ended, $8.5 million funded]

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Kickstarter has ended. You can pre-order the Ouya here.

Update: 7/26:

onlive-coming-ouyaw0zxf.jpg

ouya_07-27_0018ejub.jpg

ouya_07-27_00201kym.jpg

ouya_07-27_00349k86.jpg

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/275869

9iitz.jpg

What is Ouya?

Ouya is a $99 android based, game console. Designed from the ground up to be hacked, the console focuses on downloadable, free-to-play games. The games will be made available through the Ouya marketplace. Boxer8 has included dev kits with every unit, so developers and programmers can easily make, and release games for the system.

*To clarify, when they talk about free-to-play, it means every game will have a free demo on the marketplace. *

Controller

tf27K.jpg

A wireless controller, featuring two analog sticks, a directional pad, four face buttons, four shoulders, touchpad, and a system button. It won't, however, have an accelerometer or rumble. Much like the console itself, the controller was design to be hacked.

Specs

-Nvidia Tegra 3 processor
-Android 4.0
-1080p HD output via HDMI
-1gb of ram
-8gb flash storage
-Bluetooth 4.0 LE
-USB 2.0(one)
-SD card port
-802.11b/g/n

Games

Human Element(episodic prequel)
Final Fantasy III

Software developer kit

Coming soon!

Apps and other features

Twitchtv
OnLive
Vevo

Info/News
Release date- March 2013
Vote for the games you want to see: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ouya

Links

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console
twitter.com/playouya
http://www.youtube.com/user/OUYAS?nomobile=1
http://www.fuseproject.com/

Who is behind the Ouya?

Boxer8 is the company developing, and producing the console. Some notables include:

- Julie Uhrman (CEO, and founder. Former IGN staffer)
- Yves Behar (designer, Jawbone Jambox and One Laptop Per Child)
- Ed Fries (former Xbox head)
- Muffi Ghadiali (Amazon, worked on kindle fire)
- Amol Sarva (Peek)
- Peter Pham (Color)

Media

0SrMR.jpg

For the person asking about graphics power, I think this is concidered the best looking Tegra 3 game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpavilFFoNY

Resilient

I dunno. I would hardly call this a console. To me it just seems like those generic MegaDrive/Genesis knock offs that come preloaded with 20 games and a controller.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Could someone please explain the appeal to me?

Surely anyone with a PC that runs the Internet will have more powerful hardware than is in this thing.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I'm pledging for one during my next PAYUCHECK.

In what way is this advantageous over a PC?

All of those who are part of the console exodus, and subsequently went mobile, now have a new device to develop for.

It is more powerful than the PS3 + Wii-U, but the question is: Who will develop for it?

Phantasy Star Online II lol

I don't think it'll ever exist. That said, if it does I'll wait it out and maybe pick one up.

Why so doubtful? They thought they needed $950,000 to get it done, they've got almost $1,000,000 more than they asked for, with 29 days still to go.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I wonder if it'll be easy enough for Android devs to basically enable controller input on whatever game they're making and bam suddenly it's an Ouya game. I know there are a ton of really good games on both Android and iOS right now but I can't stand playing them because I just don't like the touch controls in most cases, but it'd be awesome if this was a way to make those games be more playable.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Why so doubtful? They thought they needed $950,000 to get it done, they've got almost $1,000,000 more than they asked for, with 29 days still to go.

When has a third party "console" ever done well, let alone get released?

MikkaQ

Neo Member
This could not turn out any better than something like the GP2X could it? I just sorta see this thing running a lot of emulators and not a whole lot else. Maybe it'll be a good set-top box.

Also I'm a bit surprised this wasn't being run on straight-up Linux.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Or they could develop a PC game, which brings me back to my original question.

But they won't because they want to go mainstream, also the development costs for PC gaming is high than Android.

Tomat

What? How are they third party? They are releasing it themselves. And how many have released for around $100?

I used the term third party incorrectly, I meant to describe any console that isn't released by Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo.

dLMN8R

IMO its potential as an HTPC and emulator box are way too awesome to overlook for $100. I don't even care if it actually gets a huge number of developers creating games for it. That would just be a nice bonus for me.

SMT

When has one even tried? Particularly one with an open-source OS that is completely free to use?

Because they aren't the ones who made Android - this isn't really a new game console, it's an Android device with a controller and no screen.

I come to the party thinking that Android is an OS, like Microsoft Windows 98, and this device is like a custom tegra PC.

Like the handheld asus pc running skyrim, except this imitates a console.

And people will develop games for it. This does not constitute third party.

I'm pretty curious and may write my own game for it.

Tomat

How big is the android marketplace in terms of games?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I used the term third party incorrectly, I meant to describe any console that isn't released by Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo.

Ohh ok. Well, my question still remains though, how many have had a price tag of around $100. And don't forget, gamers are helping to bring this to the market.

It's going to slow down and cap out once all the consoles are sold out.

No doubt. I figured it would start dropping off after a week or two. Curious to see if they bump up the $99 rewards again.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
In what way is this advantageous over a PC?

I would like for them to make software that let you play Ouya games on your PC. I know you can already run Android apps on computers now but it's mostly for developers for debugging and stuff. It'd be great if they made a user-friendly way to do it where the user can be gauranteed that every app/game would work with their USB gamepad.

IMO its potential as an HTPC and emulator box are way too awesome to overlook for $100. I don't even care if it actually gets a huge number of developers creating games for it. That would just be a nice bonus for me.

I see this as essentially a decent android tablet (specs look sort of like an Asus Transformer eee Pad) with no screen.
For $100, that's actually a good value proposition.

Assuming of course Ouya co. delivers.

Tomat

Ohh ok. Well, my question still remains though, how many have had a price tag of around $100. And don't forget, gamers are helping to bring this to the market.

Not many. Regardless, I don't think there is much of a market for them anyway. Aside from the people supporting the kickstarter I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't get much support.

Who knows though, I could be wrong.

Jonnyram

We have Xbox Live Indie Games, and there is also the potential release of a Steambox, with Steam Greenlight.
I don't think there is a big enough market for Ouya, and I certainly don't think any of the games that will be made for it will be Ouya-exclusive.

DiscoJer

Bear in mind, when they say "Free to play", that includes simply having a demo. Sort of like XBLA - they have demos (which are basically the full game) but you can buy the full version.

I'm also not sure it will have a SD card slot (doesn't say so on the KS page, but some articles have indicated it)

SMT

I just backed the $99 Setup. :) You don't get charged until August 9th.

Top Bottom