• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nyko introduces PS4 Data Bank - 3.5" HD bay

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/01/nyko-data-bank-for-playstation-4/

First of all, let us set the record straight – the Nyko Data Bank is a hard drive dock for the PS4, and not a hard drive itself, where it is meant to replace the top of the console alongside the 2.5” hard drive so that it can deliver provide compatibility with 3.5” hard drives as another avenue of internal storage. Not only that, the solution will also do away with the need for an external hard drive, which does not support game installs or save data at this point in time. In addition, it would also pave the way for larger storage, faster running speeds and less expensive prices thanks to the deluge of 3.5” hard drives that are in the market.

Nyko-Data-Bank-For-PlayStation-4.jpg

Now this looks intriguing!

$30-40, piggybacks off PS4 power cord for power

Hoje0308

Banned
In addition, the design of the replacement dock lid will not make your precious PS4 look as though it has an unsightly growth somewhere – no sir, it will seamlessly match the minimalist design of the PS4.

That render says otherwise.

Ugly, but I like the idea. If my 2TB fills up before larger 9.5mm drives become available, this could always be a possibility I suppose...

SerTapTap

Hideous. Personally I'll probably get a 1TB SSHD now and wait for 4+TB to be available by the time I fill that up.

Caayn

The idea is nice but the design could use some work.
2TB is plenty... >_>
Absolutely not. For example I'm already over 1TB on my XB1 and the generation has barely even started.
Is there a big difference in price between 2.5" and 3.5" HDDs?
Generally a 3.5" disk is cheaper than a 2.5" disk of the same size. Also 3.5" can store up to 8TB where as a 2.5" has a max of 2TB.

Haven't they pretty much hit the density limit of single platter drives(9.5mm)? So the mechanical drives that can currently fit in the PS4 most likely won't get too much bigger over the next couple years.
SSD is our only hope, but that'll have to come down in price more for the big(2TB+) drives.

Oh no... oh no no no no no.

When my hybrid drive fills up I'll buy a larger one. There's no way that I'd ever buy something like this. Looks like a PSTumor.

NickFire

Hideous. Personally I'll probably get a 1TB SSHD now and wait for 4+TB to be available by the time I fill that up.

I considered that but ended up getting the 2 TB instead. I just cant see the load time savings justifying buying a second drive once 1 TB fills up.

I'd prefer a first party version of this. I don't want a Nyko logo on my console. I also don't want to void my warranty with third party add one.

Cool idea though.

Arttemis

Sure, it's ugly. The Nyko logo is the biggest offender in my eyes. That said, though, for someone who wants a cheap BIG HDD, this is an awesome attachment. Since I'm probably going to wait for a hardware revision before I buy a PS4 for myself (my roommate has one in the living room), the cost of a 2.5" 2TB drive will likely not be an issue for me.

If I had a PS4 now, and wanted an inexpensive way to stuff more than half a TB into my console, I'd definitely consider this.

SerTapTap

I considered that but ended up getting the 2 TB instead. I just cant see the load time savings justifying buying a second drive once 1 TB fills up.

Well I figure 2TB will eventually be too small, so I'm just wasting money if I get a 2TB as my not-final drive, but 1TB is a happy medium. All depends on how many games you end up with, but my PS3 is almost at 1TB despite (mostly) smaller games. I figure in 5 years I'll probably be well over 1 or 2 TB but in the short term nah, because I wont' have all the cheap games I've gotten on PS3.

Wii U owner here. 16 GB is plenty. :D

It's really not though...even single games from the Club Nintendo or Mario Kart 8 deals would immediately fill up the internal storage.

Top Bottom