• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Channel imminent (?)

Ogawa-san

For a lot of people, thats not a problem
You can't download patches without eShop access. It's a minor thing until it isn't, see: Pokemon X/Y.

And even if you do have access, you can't download patches for games that aren't in the store you have access to, the one you're locked to by your NNID. So there's that for region free.

upandaway

You can't download patches without eShop access. It's a minor thing until it isn't, see: Pokemon X/Y.

And even if you do have access, you can't download patches for games that aren't in the store you have access to, the one you're locked to by your NNID. So there's that for region free.
Well, it's also possible that they'll find a way to install the patches manually through the homebrew channel, by ripping the patch file and uploading it somewhere.

For important patches like Pokemon, at least

Faustek

What is a homebrew device exactly?

Homebrew is a term for "home made" software.

Meaning you could write your own application/software and boot it up to your device without taking the steps through the platform holder.

This is kinda similar to rooting/jailbreaking your Smartphone. You'll enable software that perhaps where not made to work on your device.

Examples:

Add blocker on a root level.
Remove Software you can't delete(bloatware)
Install Software from outside the appstore(sideloading)
By pass security measures taken by the platform holder.

On Consoles and Handheld Consoles it can enable all different sort of things.

XBMC was a popular media application made for the OG Xbox. Still going strong but renamed since it doesn't work on Xbox any more.

Wii had tons of fun ones. Could enable it as an FTP server, play radio channels from the internet, make it a, good, media player heck both PSP and Wii had some ok home made games that would probably never have graced the platform otherwise.

But, what is getting me interested in this is that this is a first step to actually removing that pesky region lock Nintendo is enforcing. The sad part is that many people, not all I hope, will just use it to pirate games.

We can't have good things because of that...Man I miss OtherOS :(

Remember people it's not nice to pirate. Don't do it. If you feel like "just testing it" try to at least find a demo or a reviewer/LP you know share similar tastes with you and go after that :)

ELAMOR

so i can go region free? if so, is time for this
nintendo-3ds-ll-limited-pack-turquoise-x-black-337201.3.jpg

Faustek

No region unlocking is still not a thing. It'll be. He/she just needs more time.

FFs English language, you can't have a genderless - missing english word for this, my bad- pronoun?

No region unlocking is still not a thing. It'll be. He/she just needs more time.

FFs English language, you can't have a genderless pronoun?
Use "they".

Also, I doubt it will only stop at just homebrew and region free. If not Smealum, then someone else.

Keyouta

If I can get region free, I have list of a few games I want to import from Japan, so that's great. I hope that Nintendo makes their next handheld region free too.

Faustek

Use "they".

Also, I doubt it will only stop at just homebrew and region free. If not Smealum, then someone else.

Thanks.

Yepp, as I said earlier. That is why we can't have nice things :(

Home brews in itself is an awesome thing. The dark places it leads to are not :(

More like, yes, please, before Smash is out. I'd rather remove the region lock on my 3DS than have to import one.

fair enough, would like that too but it will be just a few steps until hackers ruin online.

if all this does is disable region lock and allow homebrew then fuck yeah.

Hatchtag

Banned
fair enough, would like that too but it will be just a few steps until hackers ruin online.

if all this does is disable region lock and allow homebrew then fuck yeah.

If this requires an external device, <1% of 3ds owners will install it, so it won't ruin online until it doesn't require a device.

M3d10n

I wonder what this "homebrew" device is. If it's user-mode, it's likely likely to be something that hacks some specific physical games' saves. Also, if it's user-mode, there are very low chances for hacking in online games.

Homebrew is a term for "home made" software.
Remember people it's not nice to pirate. Don't do it. If you feel like "just testing it" try to at least find a demo or a reviewer/LP you know share similar tastes with you and go after that :)

Thanks for the explanation mate. Sounds like a real game changer for the 3DS.

Tenki

Region unlock is cool, but piracy isn't. Let's see what happens after this thing ships. I want to play Taiko 3DS, so I may get it, unless Nintendo releases the damn 2DS in Japan.

I like the region unlock but not the piracy which is the next thing happening despite how many are pretending as though piracy totally isn't the intent on them doing this.

Just like piracy totally wasn't the intent of PSP homebrew stuff.

epmode

I like the region unlock but not the piracy which is the next thing happening despite how many are pretending as though piracy totally isn't the intent on them doing this.

Go on...

Storm360

based on what smealum says, piracy isn't possible with this at all

this exploit only works on userlevel, it doesn't have the permissions to be able to play retail games

epmode

I hope Nintendo patches that hole ASAP, I don't want online-play compromised!

PC stuff plays fine and it's wide open to "homebrew" and piracy. Developers just have to take potential hackers into account when designing their game.

Garou

PC stuff plays fine and it's wide open to "homebrew" and piracy. Developers just have to take potential hackers into account when designing their game.

Your comment is like digital victim-blaming.

You realize that services like Steam have a HUGE infrastructure behind this, which simply doesn't exist at Nintendo. But in a better world neither should have to exist.

Vappy

Neo Member
SHHHHH!!!

Dont RUIN THIS GAF

WE might actually have a chance at homebrew, emulators and region free systems

This isn't the first place it's been talked about widely. Several other forums, a few of which Smealum posts on himself, have known about this for months now.

As for anyone thinking this will lead to piracy, I can promise it won't. If any of you have ever heard of or have any experience with Half Byte Loader on PSP or Vita, it works similar to that. It runs arbitrary code, but within the restrains that are placed on a legitimate, licensed game running on the system. It doesn't have enough access to the hardware or software that'd be required to boot a ROM. Unfortunately, that also means other interesting toys like screenshots and ROM decrypting and modifying are off the table.

Region-free is nice for the people that want it, but the impending piracy and hacking makes me wish these people would just do something else with their time.

Nosgoroth

I loved using homebrew on GBA (I read a good number of books on my SP) but I don't think I'll have any use for 3DS homebrew, at least until a fan translation comes along, so I'll pass.

epmode

Your comment is like digital victim-blaming.

You realize that services like Steam have a HUGE infrastructure behind this, which simply doesn't exist at Nintendo. But in a better world neither should have to worry about this.

VAC (Valve Anti-Cheat) is not nearly as common as you seem to think it is. It's also a relatively new thing. Online PC games have been around for decades now.

The benefits of region free games and homebrew far outweigh the downside of a compromised online mode that can be patched if the developers care to do it.

Not that it matters. It's not like we need Nintendo's permission to hack a 3DS.

Robin64

I look forward to a SNES emulator with some nice frameskip and timing errors, and everyone going "See, the 3DS can emulate SNES, Nintendo are just lazy! This is fine!"

SigSig

Hell yes! This time I will stay strong and just not update.

I like how you are pretending that all homebrew hackers are some kind of hivemind.

Sendou

That's nice, but I personally witnessed what hacked streetpasses could do to Monster Hutner 4 and it wasn't nice until it got patched.

I'm sorry you had to experience that. Still if I can get my region free 3DS XL then I don't think twice about the potential trade-off.

Top Bottom