• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Channel imminent (?)

BlackJace

On one hand,
EWmof.gif
region-free
p0QHO.gif
, fuck yes.

On the other hand, piracy...

Hopefully Nintendo can get this blocked with a nice stability update before it gets out, there's no way I can see this not leading to piracy

elektrixx

Banned
I don't think I have a need for the Homebrew Channel on 3DS. The main thing for me is backing up data and I can clone the SD card just fine as it is.

Vappy

Neo Member
Hopefully Nintendo can get this blocked with a nice stability update before it gets out, there's no way I can see this not leading to piracy

Not sure how you think they'd be able to block it without having the faintest idea how it works yet. And besides, as I said in a previous post, this exploit /cannot/ by itself lead to piracy. You'd need to develop a further kernel exploit on top of this for that, and kernel exploits are MUCH more difficult to find and implement.

On one hand,
EWmof.gif
region-free
p0QHO.gif
, fuck yes.

On the other hand, piracy...

Well i dont know how powerful this hack even is or how far you could take it

Sounds like its relatively harmless from a piracy perspective. Heck I am not even sure the region lock bypass is even possible with this

Its just a usermode exploit to run homebrew at the moment right?

Vappy

Neo Member
Sounds like its relatively harmless from a piracy perspective. Heck I am not even sure the region lock bypass is even possible with this

Its just a usermode exploit to run homebrew at the moment right?

It is, yeah, but the only one who knows the intricacies of just how much access this exploit has is Smealum himself, and he's all but confirmed that region bypass should be possible.

Not sure how you think they'd be able to block it without having the faintest idea how it works yet. And besides, as I said in a previous post, this exploit /cannot/ by itself lead to piracy. You'd need to develop a further kernel exploit on top of this for that, and kernel exploits are MUCH more difficult to find and implement.

I don't pretend to have any technical knowledge, however Nintendo could have some more ideas about how he's done it than we know and even if piracy does require more effort it's still opening a door that it could be dangerous to open

It is, yeah, but the only one who knows the intricacies of just how much access this exploit has is Smealum himself, and he's all but confirmed that region bypass should be possible.

Its fascinating how much of this stuff is even possible after all the breaches that came before

Amazing

Vappy

Neo Member
I don't pretend to have any technical knowledge, however Nintendo could have some more ideas about how he's done it than we know and even if piracy does require more effort it's still opening a door that it could be dangerous to open

The only kind of hint he's given as to how it might work is the exploit name, SSSpwn, which even then, the 'SSS' is probably just an acronym for something arbitrary. And there's no danger to making a usermode exploit public. No cheating, no piracy, none of that is possible. Unless someone manages to find a new ARM9 kernel exploit the 3DS is going to remain as secure as it currently is.

The only kind of hint he's given as to how it might work is the exploit name, SSSpwn, which even then, the 'SSS' is probably just an acronym for something arbitrary. And there's no danger to making a usermode exploit public. No cheating, no piracy, none of that is possible. Unless someone manages to find a new ARM9 kernel exploit the 3DS is going to remain as secure as it currently is.

How are you so sure that its only a usermode exploit if he hasnt release any details ?

Or has he say that ?

Awwwwwww yeah.

I hope they get this functional for full homebrew without having to take the hardware off the network (so that I can still play all my original games and downloaded games and not worry about the 3DS phoning home or getting banned or something). Handheld emulation has been pretty underwhelming outside of specialized devices, so it'd be awesome to see the 3DS become a place to do it - and possibly very well.

Delt31

can someone explain how this enables region free but not piracy? Usermode only shouldn't provide region free.

Westraid

Regionfree feature would make my 3DS a lot more appealing than it is now, gathering dust on the shelf.
Even so, these hacks aren't something I'm going to wait for when the next generation Nintendo handheld comes out. Region free or no buy. I loved my DS and there is still a lot of games I haven't played yet, but I'm really unhappy with my 3DS. There's a lot of games I'd have loved to play but can't because of that dumb lock.

Elija2

So I'm guessing this won't just be a simple file you put on your SD card and run. Still, it's interesting to see an exploit that works on the latest firmware version. Let's hope the 3DS gets a good homebrew community.

Danneee

Region free, genesis emulator and Doom 3D homebrew (because I've given up hope of seeing an official release on the system) is all I want from this.

inthegray

the homebrew device mentioned in the original article is a flashcart. i've updated the article, though, to note that -- at least according to Smealum a month ago -- the exploit will not require a flashcard to get it to work.

sirap

Would be cool to play with older gameboy games on my 3ds. Too bad about region free, I'd love to be able to try Japanese games.

Sakujou

Banned
Region free systems are a blessing.

Sony did a nice thing, but unfortunately they fucked up the european market with it.

Nintendo is doing it also wrong.

I hope nintendo will let us do homebrewing with genuine copies of original games. Iam ONLY interested region free, nearly nothing else, but i will welcome the rest which will follow.

Jomjom

Banned
YESSSSSS to region free! Hoping I can finally import one of the way better looking JP LE 3DSes. Nintendo you deserve this for being so damn stubborn about region free!

I hope nintendo will let us do homebrewing with genuine copies of original games. Iam ONLY interested region free, nearly nothing else, but i will welcome the rest which will follow.

Guaranteed they won't. Leaving a software exploit in your software is always a mistake.

Wondering if this exploit is system menu linked or game linked... If game linked, we could see Nintendo pull a sony and temporarily remove a game their online store till they 'fix' the issue.

Joey Ravn

Banned
What about region free eShop?

I'm not particularly affected by being restricted to the EU eShop, though paying in US dollars would be great. But a friend of mine has to deal with the Latin American eShop, which lacks 90% of everything available elsewhere. If he could access the US, or even the EU, eShop, it'd be an absolute blessing for him

He should've waited until after Smash was released to come public, so that Nintendo wouldn't have noticed the (presumed) hole and patched it before Smash's release in a mandatory update.

He should've waited until after Smash was released to come public, so that Nintendo wouldn't have noticed the (presumed) hole and patched it before Smash's release in a mandatory update.

Saying you have an exploit doesn't do much if the software engineers aren't sure where to look, and it doesn't appear that Smealum has left a lot of hints as to what it is or how it's exploited. There is even talk of him not releasing it till after Smash is released to make it hard for Nintendo to track...

That said, Smash isn't likely to come with an update that would block it at this point (it's got to be getting close to gold, it takes more time to produce 3DS cards than DVDs/Blurays), and if online play will require an update to play they can release it at any time after smash is released and get the same effect.

What about region free eShop?

I'm not particularly affected by being restricted to the EU eShop, though paying in US dollars would be great. But a friend of mine has to deal with the Latin American eShop, which lacks 90% of everything available elsewhere. If he could access the US, or even the EU, eShop, it'd be an absolute blessing for him
I thought Mexico was the only Latin America eShop and as a result they can just change to Canada unless they were foolish enough to link an NNID to Mexico. Besides if they have an NNID they won't be changing eShop any time soon. The 3DS eShop (without NNID) seems to make a wallet for each country but the NNID only has one wallet and kicks you out (or possibly doesn't let you enter) if wallets don't or can't match (this is why I have yet to link an NNID).

But yes those without NNID, in principle it should be as simple as changing the country code as dictated on system settings. Well to buy content anyway (getting it to launch is another matter). It worked that way on the Wii (though got locked down because naive fools like me would buy points from Japan, spend them in other regions which due to the difference in prices lost Nintendo money*).

*-1000 Yen was around £5, saving of £2 on the UK Wii shop price. I buy an 1000 point game. Nintendo pays developer 70% of £7...£4.90. However, from the NOE perspective they lose £7 (their cut and having to pay) while the NCL perspective they gain £5 (as the points are never spent in Japan). I like to think this is exactly why the 3DS eShop has a separate wallet for each country.

This is what Nintendo gets for releasing a handheld that's region locked. The more you lock things away; the more it will drive people to circumvent it, which then opens up even more vulnerabilities.

Mr-Joker

Banned
While the idea of having a region free 3DS is nice but this also opens the door to piracy and I am pretty sure that Nintendo is going to shut this down in a future update.

I hope Nintendo patches that hole ASAP, I don't want online-play compromised!

This too, facing against a hacker on-line isn't fun.

This is what Nintendo gets for releasing a handheld that's region locked. The more you lock things away; the more it will drive people to circumvent it, which then opens up even more vulnerabilities.

The DS was region free and that got pirated like hell as did the PSP.

While the idea of having a region free 3DS is nice but this also opens the door to piracy and I am pretty sure that Nintendo is going to shut this down in a future update.

This too, facing against a hacker on-line isn't fun.

The DS was region free and that got pirated like hell as did the PSP.

Valid point. But the DS sold gangbusters of hardware and software; which the 3DS needs. Locking it away ultimately is preventing companies such as Nintendo making even more money. Also; even if you disregard what I just said, the 3DS should have improved upon the DS and not taken a step backwards with an artificial barrier.

Top Bottom