• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Channel imminent (?)

FrsDvl

It's probably a long shot, but anyone here have an extra copy? Could've gotten it yesterday for 10$ but my credit didn't clear till today dammit. I'm in Canada, but will pay shipping etc.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Woo!

eJcK6Ox.png

Hasney

I remember seeing people injecting their own GBA roms into ambassador titles on GBAtemp, will I be able to do things like that once the exploit is out? Full GBA compatability like that would be amazing

Wait, if this were to work, wouldn't that basically mean installing eShop content just with the changed ROM and therefore not be possible with this?

If we can do that, I wouldn't be shocked if eShop piracy would be there at the same time.

Rich!

Yeah, this exploit is just opening the gates, it won't surprise me if it leads up to more.

It's no different to the PSP.

Remember, apart from the initial JP 1.0 firmware that had no protection, that started with a usermode exploit loaded via GTA:Liberty City Stories. You had to boot the game each time to load homebrew.

And we all know what that led to.

Remember, apart from the initial JP 1.0 firmware that had no protection, that started with a usermode exploit loaded via GTA:Liberty City Stories. You had to boot the game each time to load homebrew.

I followed that scene for years.

Every one of those hacks had a new attack vector.

1.0 simply ran any code that you compiled and put in the right place on your memory stick.

1.5 simply ran any code that you compiled and put in the right place on your memory stick in two places by exploiting the way the OS deals with FAT32 features.

2.0 and on, I don't remember the exact methods, but GTA: LCS didn't "enable" piracy. It's just what we had in the interim until the next kernel exploit was found.

If you already have a Gateway and a Gateway compatible 3DS what is the benefit of this new exploit?

There is no benefit.

Piracy will be coming.

You'd be a fool to think otherwise.

People want to be able to pirate and still keep their consoles on the latest firmwares. This is probably going to eventually do that.

Gateway is already a thing if piracy is what you want, and has been for some time now. This isn't going to "lead to" anything because it's a usermode exploit. A new kernel exploit will have to be found to enable piracy.

rjc571

Banned

That was only if you updated your firmware, version 1.50 didn't require any extra game.

Put the game on hold at Gamestop but when I got there, they couldn't find it.

Going to try some mom and pop stores in NYC. Online looks crazy expensive right now, lol.

Rich!

Omg, my PAL/region E New Nintendo 3DS XL has just been dispatched! I'll have it in a few days!

Absolute perfect timing.

Hasney

Oh yeah, but it fits all the criteria like DOA does too. Either way, DOA is great so jump on it. Cubic Ninja... Not so much.

EDIT: Unless you see Cubic Ninja for £1.50 with only one in stock and jump on that bad boy because you're weak.

The greatest moment of weakness I ever had.

Rich!

I don't suppose this would let you play Wario Ware Twisted with the 3DS's gyro controls, would it? Longshot I know, but it can't hurt to ask.

Nope. I wouldn't expect a GBA homebrew emulator that allows that to take too long to appear though.

I don't suppose this would let you play Wario Ware Twisted with the 3DS's gyro controls, would it? Longshot I know, but it can't hurt to ask.

ooooh you could use the camera's too for Boktai's sun sensor. At last we'd have a perfect portable emulation machine (minus PSP I guess)

Fularu

Banned
Got my copy from EBgames, except it's 15$ here in Canada.

Oh well, I won't complain seeing those prices. The girl at the counter was all confused when she saw me buy it. She even said "You know it's terrible, right?"

She must have seen my Kirby 3DS in the bag I gave her to put the game in :p

sörine

Banned
So, just for a taster of what you will be able to get after saturday's release:

Gameyob - a gameboy emulator. It's got near-perfect compatibility and has been ported to the 3DS. Here's some shots I took of the DS version:

Throw in the GBC Bios file, and you have flawless GBC hardware support too, right down to the startup with selectable colour palettes:
I'm salivating at these pics. Everything I wanted Virtual Console to be but isn't.

I hope quality SNES/GBA solutions are around the corner.

I don't know anything about the Gateway cards other than that they used to only work on a really old firmware. From reading the thread, it seems that isn't the case anymore (or won't be soon). If so, then I have a few questions:
- Are new / soon to be released Gateways going to be compatible with all current firmwares?
- Can Gateways be used for anything other than piracy?
- Will homebrew made for this exploit work with Gateways?
- Can someone boot a legit import game card with it, or would they need to dump the rom?

rekameohs

Banned
I don't know anything about the Gateway cards other than that they used to only work on a really old firmware. From reading the thread, it seems that isn't the case anymore (or won't be soon). If so, then I have a few questions:
- Are new / soon to be released Gateways going to be compatible with all current firmwares?
- Can Gateways be used for anything other than piracy?
- Will homebrew made for this exploit work with Gateways?
- Can someone boot a legit import game card with it, or would they need to dump the rom?

1. Gateways now only support firmwares 4.1-4.5. The official site says that a new update with support for 9.0-9.2 will be releasing shortly.
2. Yes, custom applications can also be run
3. Yes
4. I believe there is an option in the Gateway menu to do exactly this, but I'm not certain.

KemoSabe

I called a gamestop near my home and the said they will hold it back for me...
I hope thats true
They had one used copy left for 8€..

But it sounded like the clerk didnt knew about the true "powers" of the game...

Kouriozan

My copy finally was dispatched, the exploit won't be released before Saturday I think, as long as I get it for that date I'm happy.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Maybe I'll stop off at the local independent I have. Of course this being a day later means I've left a wide window for someone else to swoop in, but I suspect I live in an area where people don't follow 3DS homebrew news.

Petrie

Banned
How about buying only what you need and let someone else have the second one ?

How in the fuck do you know how many he needs? Are there not people with more than 1 3DS, or kids, or a spouse, or any number of reasons to need a second copy?

My god the entitlement of people.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I wouldn't personally buy copies to scalp and sell for $$$$$ but I can't really fault anyone else for doing it either.

Rich!

Right. Seeing as it's being released today, here's some emulators to test. Bear in mind they are all in alpha stages - gameyob is amazing on the DS, but the 3DS version still has a way to go.

None of these emulators currently support sound and have low compatibility due to the limitations of the Gateway flashcard's homebrew support. This will all change shortly, as now the coders can move development to smealum's hack which offers full access for homebrew.

GameYob (Gameboy/Color)

BlargSNES

3DNES

Top Bottom