• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Channel imminent (?)

wrowa

Ah, whatever. I don't know if 3DS Homebrew is something I need - it's likely going to be patched long before anything cool gets released - and neither do I know if DoA:D is indeed the game that enables it, but I just bought a copy just in case. Who knows how long it will remain as cheap as it is right now if it's indeed THE game. Worst case I've got another fun game for the 3DS.

Zornica

Banned
[...]
Pokemon XY and many other games do not allow screenshots to be posted on Miiverse (and the browser does not do image upload either it would seem). Also Miiverse requires an NNID...

in fact it does (if the software has the ability to save directly to the sd card):
hni_0064_jpgbxz1r.jpg

hni_0044_jpgmtz02.jpg

hni_0005_jpgamyc1.jpg

hni_0016_jpg1djzq.jpg
all of those were uploaded straight from the sd card through the 3ds browser to abload

It's probably something they could easily change to work similarly to the WiiU with a firmware or browser update

There are not many cheap old 3DS games that are not out on all eShops (I think this is all that has been tweeted) and it has a potential attack vector via the photo mode.

It is not guaranteed but logically it makes sense to be as it ticks the required boxes.
Technically, Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon are also in that list of eshop games not digitally available in every region and they go for sub-10€ here.

But yeah, DOA sounds very likely.

Letep

What difference does it make which game is the exploit one?

Because whichever game it is, physical copies will get scooped up quick or the price will increase.

But, yeah, at this point it doesn't really matter because we don't know which game it is.

M3d10n

in fact it does (if the software has the ability to save directly to the sd card):

all of those were uploaded straight from the sd card through the 3ds browser to abload

It's probably something they could easily change to work similarly to the WiiU with a firmware or browser update

It's been so long I'm sure it's intentional. The notes app can display the suspended game's top and bottom screen since launch, but there was never a way to save them, except for Miiverse.

I really hope it's DoAD. I have the game! Haven't played in ages but did use spot pass back in the day to get the free downloadable content.

Isotope

Man, I am so tempted to go out right now and get DOA:D just in case, but if it doesn't end up being the needed game, then I'll have wasted money for a game I'll never play. Hmm...

Persona7

Banned
I need to get another copy of this game before it jumps in price. My cartridge fell in a glass of water and I feel like playing it again.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Oh well, I went ahead and bought DOA new for 10€ shipped from Amazon, I can always send it back if it's a different game...

I just hope we EU owners won't be SOL because the exploit only works on US consoles/firmware, that'd be horrible

Lazaro

What if the game in question is: Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D.

It has the ability to open and save images and has a built in Photo Viewer (I think) The game had an ability to use photos on the 3DS and convert them into outfits for Snake.

Since the game is quite a bad port, It could be Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D.

It has the ability to open and save images and has a built in Photo Viewer (I think) The game had an ability to use photos on the 3DS and convert them into outfits for Snake.

Since the game is quite a bad port, It could be Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D.
It's not that cheap...

Zornica

Banned

It's not a bad port :(
it's an unoptimized remake!

MGS 3D was my first time beating MGS3 and i had the PS2, xbox 360 and PS2 rerelease red box special edition, but never beat them on those systems B^)

but i will pick up a copy of DoA tomorrow just in case, if it works i will import smash to play day 1 :D

Lazaro

MGS 3D was my first time beating MGS3 and i had the PS2, xbox 360 and PS2 rerelease red box special edition, but never beat them on those systems B^)

but i will pick up a copy of DoA tomorrow just in case, if it works i will import smash to play day 1 :D

MGS 3D was my first time beating MGS 3 as well, and I'm sorry its actually a decent port but unoptimized. I didn't mind using X Y A B to aim. lol.

If its DOA (most likely is) I'll be sure to import it from Europe. Unless I find a cheap copy in-store here in AUS.

I'm personally hoping to get some Retroarch on my 3DS from this exploit.

Lettuce

So what's the current FW for the 3DS?, guess I should update mine to the latest FW TODAY if I'm not already on it before Nintendo release a counter FW

On another note, will this mean that we could possible get 3D emulator of snes, megadrive, stuff???

Hasney

So what's the current FW for the 3DS?, guess I should update mine to the latest FW TODAY if I'm not already on it before Nintendo release a counter FW

On another note, will this mean that we could possible get 3D emulator of snes, megadrive, stuff???

Speaking of this, does DoA have a patch available as well or not?

Ordered it. Looking forward to playing the game as much as the homebrew now.

As for the 3D stuff, I guess it would be theoretically possible to split out some layered backgrounds for a 3D effect as well as Super FX games, but I wouldn't bank on it. Even if they figured out a way, I can imagine performance taking on hell of a hit.

Khaz

Damn I freaked out, I couldn't find my cartridge anywhere, I was considering buying another copy tomorrow to replace it. Turns out it was tucked in my 3DS, waiting to be played. I played too much digital download I forgot it had a slot lol.

3D Megadrive emulator already happened, It's called the Sega 3D Classics. But it was made by a team of wizards (M2) and each game is heavily tweaked to get 3D. Don't count on a playable generic 3D emulator.

Rich!

I see no reason why layers cant be arranged in 3D in Snes9x and the like. It would look shit most of the time, but the bg layer in games like DKC2 would be sweet

I guess speed would take a hit though

I meant like Wii U where you can bypass using Miiverse when uploading screens.

Speaking of this, does DoA have a patch available as well or not?
A DoAD patch wouldn't help as there would be no need to use the v1.1 patch.

eShop download so far download version 1.0 then you have to get the 1.1+ patches separate. But DoAD only being on the Japanese eShop makes it less of an issue.

Hasney

A DoAD patch wouldn't help as there would be no need to use the v1.1 patch.

eShop download so far download version 1.0 then you have to get the 1.1+ patches separate. But DoAD only being on the Japanese eShop makes it less of an issue.

Right, but if there was a patch already and this needed it, if there was a 1.2 later, it would probably just download that so you'd go from a 1.0 that didn't work to a 1.2 that didn't work. If there's no patches at the moment though, then that's a non-issue.

Khaz

Right, but if there was a patch already and this needed it, if there was a 1.2 later, it would probably just download that so you'd go from a 1.0 that didn't work to a 1.2 that didn't work. If there's no patches at the moment though, then that's a non-issue.

There is no auto-patching on the 3DS. At best you would download it automatically but not install it.

For cartridge games you are only notified of it when on the eShop and maybe via spotpass. I don't know any cartridge game that were patched, outside of Mario Kart, and the patch is only required if you try to go online.

SenkiDala

I don't understand why everybody is buying a copy of DoaD, nothing says it's this game. So why?!

Sweet to see so many people wanting to play homebrew games on 3DS. :D

Hasney

I don't understand why everybody is buying a copy of DoaD, nothing says it's this game. So why?!

Sweet to see so many people wanting to play homebrew games on 3DS. :D

It looks very likely unless it is MGS (which isn't cheap) and the one from CEX is £6 with a £4 trade-in. It's a good game anyway, so I'll keep it regardless, but if it wasn't and it tuned out not to be the case, £2 isn't a massive deal to lose out on for a rental.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Wait, so is DOA the exploit game? Does that mean I would need a Japanese copy for my JP 3DSLL? It'd be great if I could make it region-free considering I only have a US OG 3DS.

Top Bottom