• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Channel imminent (?)

inner-G

Banned
qZ6LxTM.png

Not first party confirmed xD
It would be amazing if the exploit was in Steel Diver

rjc571

Banned
Well we know it's a game which is available on the eShop in some territories but not all, so most likely in Japan and NA but not Europe. Does anybody have a list of such titles?

Damn, didn't even think of this. But is the 3DS even powerful enough to emulate it? VB uses a 32 bit processor running at 20 MHz. It's a lot more powerful than the SNES, which some people seem to think the 3DS can't emulate fully.

Either way, there's a damn good VB emulator for the Wii, which you can play in 3D using cheap 3D glasses, if you have a pair.

The VB used an ARM processor so that could(?) Make it easier for the 3ds to emulate

EDIT - actually no it doesn't so ignore what I said sorry

jbueno

All I want from this is a Region Free mod and the ability to install retail carts to SD, then I'll get a 128 SD class 10 card so my carts remain safe at home.

All I want from this is a Region Free mod and the ability to install retail carts to SD then I'll get a 128 SD class 10 card so my carts remain safe at home.

Nasty filthy rotten piracy then

Not saying you are going to pirate but that's what you want to be enabled, if games being on your SD card matter to you you should've bought them on the eshop

FrsDvl

Since Smealum is from France, it would be pretty safe to assume it would be on the EU eShop right? Hope it will be available in NA.

Also piracy, I know he says it wouldn't be supported, but that's what GeoHot said about the ps3.. I hope it won't happen, but I'm not surprised if it will eventually happen.

Sakujou

Banned
please let it happen, iam so all over region lock.

some games are cheaper in the us, other games only available in japan.

and iam awaiting localized games by fans, so i can patch these upcoming games.

Pikma

Banned
All I want from this is a Region Free mod and the ability to install retail carts to SD, then I'll get a 128 SD class 10 card so my carts remain safe at home.
Yeah, let's benefit the 5 of you that want such an insignificant feature while everyone else gets fucked because of piracy.

What I want is to be able to dump our games and be able to mod the game files to make new stuff. When Smash Bros and all that come out we can start having mods, I'm hoping for this too on the Wii U for the new Smash as well. I'm sure theres a way to do that without enabling piracy.

jbueno

Nasty filthy rotten piracy then

Not saying you are going to pirate but that's what you want to be enabled, if games being on your SD card matter to you you should've bought them on the eshop

I'm not one to get digital versions of games available on a physical format, specially on Nintendo's less than ideal account system. Only games I have on my SD card are DL exclusive games. Hell I even remember before launch that Nintendo thought about a system to let you install your games, requiring authentication every X amount of times, but I don't think they've said anything about it since then.

I just want to be able to play my own backups like on CFW PSP and the Wii HBC.

I'm not one to get digital versions of games available on a physical format, specially on Nintendo's less than ideal account system. Only games I have on my SD card are DL exclusive games. Hell I even remember before launch that Nintendo thought about a system to let you install your games, requiring authentication every X amount of times, but I don't think they've said anything about it since then.

I just want to be able to play my own backups like on CFW PSP and the Wii HBC.

Strangely enough everyone always says it's their own back ups they want to play, I doubt the number of "back ups" that are played by people that actually own a copy of the game is anything more than a single digit percentage

Strangely enough everyone always says it's their own back ups they want to play, I doubt the number of "back ups" that are played by people that actually own a copy of the game is anything more than a single digit percentage

Don't go there.

Edit: I too would like playing backups of my collection for convenience, but just region free would be nice too, that way my brother in New Zealand could get a 3DS and be able to import or borrow my US games. Plus Smash modding.

I'd actually love a legit feature to copy my physical games to the SD, simply because I have no cases for several of my used game purchases from before I switched to all digital... or as much digital as I can get lol.

Of course that would lead to piracy but its nice to dream.

All for region free though, there are several games I would love to not have to buy another 3DS for. Toss in GBA emulation and I'm in.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Then it stands to reason that you'll be able to take ten random posters in this thread and point out nine pirates to me.

jbueno

Yup, pirates always ruin it for the rest of us legit customers, and I doubt that will change in the near future. Hopefully home brewers can implement a system that won't allow piracy on the console.

Don't go there.

All I'm saying is back ups lead to piracy, yeah there are some people that legitimately back up their own stuff and they would be benefited by such hacks however their benefit is dwarfed by the benefit to legions of pirates, 3ds software sales ain't (outside of some big titles) that great and third party support isn't as good as it could be, it'd be a tradgedy for the 3ds software market to collapse and the remaining 3rd parties to run to the f2p mobile he'll hole

Yup, pirates always ruin it for the rest of us legit customers, and I doubt that will change in the near future. Hopefully home brewers can implement a system that won't allow piracy on the console.
Devolution for playing Gamecube games on Wii, whilst not perfect, is a decent setup. You have to verify it with the disc.

Then it stands to reason that you'll be able to take ten random posters in this thread and point out nine pirates to me.

Some of the posters will be, sure, who I don't know, I'd like to hope there's less on GAF than most sites but who knows, it just riled me up that someone actually was hoping "back ups" become possible

Ogawa-san

If it's a hack based on a specific game, I guess there isn't a lot to be excited about.

I'm not terribly knowledgeable on how this one works, but look at how it does on Vita for PSP games. They find a save game exploit, Sony removes the game from PSN to avoid it from spreading too far, a new firmware that fixes it follows in a month at most. Then you're off to choose between keeping the exploit or having PSN access - you can't go online with an outdated firmware.

And in this case, if you're only using for region free only, in a few months games will come out requiring a firmware you don't (and can't) have.

Am I wrong?

If it's a hack based on a specific game, I guess there isn't a lot to be excited about.

I'm not terribly knowledgeable on how this one works, but look at how it does on Vita for PSP games. They find a save game exploit, Sony removes the game from PSN to avoid it from spreading too far, a new firmware that fixes it follows in a month at most. Then you're off to choose between keeping the exploit or having PSN access - you can't go online with an outdated firmware.

And in this case, if you're only using for region free only, in a few months games will come out requiring a firmware you don't (and can't) have.

Am I wrong?

Maybe it will be able to be updated like the Wii Homebrew Channel so a new firmware update won't delete it?

Iceberg

qZ6LxTM.png

Not first party confirmed xD

Cheap games available in all regions and with a limited eShop availability:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games#Download_Software

(Order by Nintendo eShop (last column))

Dead or Alive Dimensions (eShop Japan only)
Pro Evolution Soccer 3D (2012 & 2013 versions, North America eShop only)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (North America eShop only)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D (NA eShop)

I guess the desired game should be among those 5 games.

Am I wrong?

I know on the PS3, games that needed higher firmware could be patched to be playable on whatever firmware you were on.

jbueno

Devolution for playing Gamecube games on Wii, whilst not perfect, is a decent setup. You have to verify it with the disc.

Yup, I also remember one of the installers of Wii HBC required you to provide original discs for installation, hell it even asked you if you intended to use HBC for piracy, if you said yes it blocked the installation for a while. That's of course not ideal, but perhaps they can come up with a good solution.

lol. Smealum puts out a joke tweet about how he'll tell someone the name of the game right now if they buy him a Smash 3DS XL. Then someone is offering to do it. The internet, man.

Luigi87

Very curious about this... I have a 3DS XL that I don't use, because I replaced it after the Zelda 3DS XL came out...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Luckily 3DS doesn't have enough digital exclusive releases to keep me from using this and staying off the wifi. The funny thing though is that the need for region free isn't nearly as great as it was a year ago.

Powerwing

The Wikipedia list is innacurate, both Tom clancy's games are available for 19.99€ in the euro shop

I hope it's Shadow Wars because that's an awesome game everyone should play anyway.

It's kind of obvious just looking at it that it used to be a DS game and was up-ported, so maybe there's some other aspect of it that was done shoddily and quickly that allows for this exploit.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
How can a hack like this allow hombrew and not piracy ?

Well this hack specifically probably wont allow it, but it'll open the way for piracy. But also wonderful things such as allowing you to dump your GBA library and play them on the 3DS, which for me is awesome since my DSLite broke horrribly and the battery in my GBA SP is straight up dead. (It loads for a second, the chargelight goes on then turns off immediately ;-;)

Jomjom

Banned
I hope it's some stupid baby game, just so I can put that on my shelf and people will wonder why the hell I have it.

Hmmm since it seems like the exploit will require some western game, does that mean the exploit won't work on a Japanese 3DS?

M3d10n

the homebrew loader we're about to release will require you to have a specific retail game. the game is also on eShop but not in all regions

I called it. They're just hijacking a game to run additional code, thus it's an user-mode hack. Let's see if the region unlock works.

It's very likely to be DoAD:

1) DoAD is one of the earliest games with a photo-mode and has a in-game photo viewer that only works with it's own photos (I believe it writes extra data to the JPEGs).

2) The photos are written to the SD card using a very simple game-specific encryption, not system-based encryption.

3) Since they claim you can use the eShop version, it can't be a save game exploit because eShop games use system-based encryption (which is very strong and is different for each console unit).

So, the hack is probably a custom made JPEG to be loaded in DoAD's photo viewer. It could also be Metal Gear Solid, since it's not available on the NA eShop and can load JPEGs for custom camo.

baphomet

I called it. They're just hijacking a game to run additional code, thus it's an user-mode hack. Let's see if the region unlock works.

It's very likely to be DoAD:

1) DoAD is one of the earliest games with a photo-mode and has a in-game photo viewer that only works with it's own photos (I believe it writes extra data to the JPEGs).

2) The photos are written to the SD card using a very simple game-specific encryption, not system-based encryption.

3) Since they claim you can use the eShop version, it can't be a save game exploit because eShop games use system-based encryption (which is very strong and is different for each console unit).

So, the hack is probably a custom made JPEG to be loaded in DoAD's photo viewer.

Seems like the most likely scenario.

Some of the posters will be, sure, who I don't know, I'd like to hope there's less on GAF than most sites but who knows, it just riled me up that someone actually was hoping "back ups" become possible

GAF has a policy of not accusing people of piracy without proof. It also has a policy of defending the use of backups. How about you stop with your backups = pirate talk.

Damn, didn't even think of this. But is the 3DS even powerful enough to emulate it? VB uses a 32 bit processor running at 20 MHz. It's a lot more powerful than the SNES, which some people seem to think the 3DS can't emulate fully.

Either way, there's a damn good VB emulator for the Wii, which you can play in 3D using cheap 3D glasses, if you have a pair.

It really depends on how VB works... part of the reason the SNES is so hard to emulate is because even though it's 'only' 3.58mhz, it's got a lot of components that require VERY precise timings to get accurate results. The 3DS is more than powerful enough to emulate the SNES and at full speed with a few custom hacks (akin to what SNES9x and Zsnes used to use, as well as what the current SNES emulators on GBA/DS use) but the rendering may cause some slow downs on some of the more difficult games (SuperFX, SDD-1, and SPC700 chips come to mind especially, but even something simpler like the DSP series could be troublesome).

Do I personally believe the 3DS is capable of emulating the VB? Yeah, I think so. Even if the processor ran at 20mhz, it's a rather simple RISC design with no exotic hardware (custom sound chips, etc). I don't know the hardware intimately, but at least from what little I can gleam from Wikipedia, it doesn't look like a particularly hard system to emulate.

Cubic Ninja is very old, very cheap, only available on eshop in Japan, and has some sort of level editor. Not really familiar with the game but if the data structures used for the level editor had some exploit you'd have a way in.

batbeg

GAF has a policy of not accusing people of piracy without proof. It also has a policy of defending the use of backups. How about you stop with your backups = pirate talk.

He's not wrong and he's not accusing anyone in particular of piracy. I know he's raising a moot point, but the idea that backups open availability to piracy can certainly be worthy of discussion, particularly in a market that the 3DS is in. The 3DS software situation is pretty abysmal, and when some of its direct competitors are devices that have thousands of free games, it isn't a stretch of the imagination to see where $30-40 titles are suddenly going to be marked 100% off for many. Maybe he didn't push this point in the best way possible, but I hate the way posters will jump all over someone like they want them to be banned for raising a perfectly valid point. Now I myself backed up my own titles on Wii and PSP, two markets fucking rampant in piracy, so I know it's frustrating to be accused of piracy when you're a legitimate consumer, but I didn't take his initial statement as an attack on anyone.

big_z

The doa photo mode makes sense. Smealum has said in the past that only homebrew runs and not retail code. If he cracked the doa photo encryption then you can encrypt homebrew with it and use an exploit to run it.
Retail encryption has yet to be cracked as far as I know.

The doa photo mode makes sense. Smealum has said in the past that only homebrew runs and not retail code. If he cracked the doa photo encryption then you can encrypt homebrew with it and use an exploit to run it.
Retail encryption has yet to be cracked as far as I know.

Wouldn't that contradict his claim of being able to bypass the region lock?

Top Bottom