• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Channel imminent (?)

big_z

Wouldn't that contradict his claim of being able to bypass the region lock?

You could probably use the homebrew channel to ignore region when a retail cart is used. The gateway cards have been able to do something similar for a long time. The region lock seems relatively easy to get around.

So you're telling me I should buy DOAD in anticipation of the rush on it shortly?

Honestly I've been kind of jealous of it since I got SF4 at launch and realized I kind of bet on the wrong horse if I wanted a good single player fighter with lots of unlockables.

lupinko

So you're telling me I should buy DOAD in anticipation of the rush on it shortly?

Honestly I've been kind of jealous of it since I got SF4 at launch and realized I kind of bet on the wrong horse if I wanted a good single player fighter with lots of unlockables.

I wanted to pick it up but you can't get the dlc anymore I think. :/

OmegaFax

Wait, wait, wait... it's Dead or Alive Dimensions with the exploit? A game I already own? Sweet!

It's probably on the shortlist. Unless the guy's messing with everyone on his Twitter account ... game is old, not in every eShop region, and can be bought on cartridge for as little as $30 for 4 of them. Kind of makes for only a few titles. Considering the guy likely testing on European 3DS, makes for a short list. Maybe? Am I going somewhere with this?

Maybe it's one of the Tom Clancy games, too?

flohen95

You mean the spotpass distributions? Yeah, those are long gone.

Picked the game up for 7,99€ in mid 2012 iirc. Very fun and actually got me into the Dead or Alive franchise (I now own every game except 4 in some form).

On topic: I really couldn't care less about actual homebrew stuff, this is only interesting for me if they can bypass the region lock. Hope it happens *fingers crossed*

Jomjom

Banned
Anyone know if this would work with a Japanese 3DS?

If assuming it's DOAD, would I just buy the american version or would I need to buy a Japanese version?

Yeah, it sucks, but oh well, not much you can do now. Can't even get a used version with it already unlocked I think, because it requires setting up space on the SD card, and it's not downloadable anymore.

big_z

I wouldn't get too excited for this exploit yet. It's probably worth giving it a little time and seeing if Nintendo can block it.

If this exploit uses doad to inject a homebrew channel onto sd card with the doad encryption then it will be tricky for nintendo to fix.

Anyone know if this would work with a Japanese 3DS?

If assuming it's DOAD, would I just buy the american version or would I need to buy a Japanese version?

Think about your question a little bit and you'll have your answer.

Exentryk

Only thing I want out of the 3DS is gameplay capture, so if this homebrew can allow that then awesome. I doubt it tho :(

not very knowledgable in all of this, but does this mean we can easily get to play region free games? i'll still legally purchase JP releases via online if so.

Only thing I want out of the 3DS is gameplay capture, so if this homebrew can allow that then awesome. I doubt it tho :(

Homebrew could lead to screen capture... but you can already use that with miiverse. If you want to capture video, you're going to need to buy one of loopy's modified systems.

Isotope

not very knowledgable in all of this, but does this mean we can easily get to play region free games? i'll still legally purchase JP releases via online if so.

If this allows region free gameplay, then you are correct; you'll be able to play any 3DS game from any region.

Region free <3 Shame it couldn't have come sooner, SMTIV is out in Europe next month. Though the very day this lands I'm importing a copy of Rune Factory 4
and probably a physical copy of SMTIV.

He's not wrong and he's not accusing anyone in particular of piracy. I know he's raising a moot point, but the idea that backups open availability to piracy can certainly be worthy of discussion, particularly in a market that the 3DS is in. The 3DS software situation is pretty abysmal, and when some of its direct competitors are devices that have thousands of free games, it isn't a stretch of the imagination to see where $30-40 titles are suddenly going to be marked 100% off for many. Maybe he didn't push this point in the best way possible, but I hate the way posters will jump all over someone like they want them to be banned for raising a perfectly valid point. Now I myself backed up my own titles on Wii and PSP, two markets fucking rampant in piracy, so I know it's frustrating to be accused of piracy when you're a legitimate consumer, but I didn't take his initial statement as an attack on anyone.

Then he should create a thread for that. GAF mods have repeatedly argued against bringing piracy arguments into these types of threads. Relating backups to piracy in threads such as these leads to nothing more than sidetracking the actual topic.

Exentryk

Homebrew could lead to screen capture... but you can already use that with miiverse. If you want to capture video, you're going to need to buy one of loopy's modified systems.

Yeah, video capture. I don't want to buy another console just to record one game >_>

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Region free <3 Shame it couldn't have come sooner, SMTIV is out in Europe next month. Though the very day this lands I'm importing a copy of Rune Factory 4
and probably a physical copy of SMTIV.

Yeah, being able to own and play a physical copy of SMT4 would be nice. Though I wonder how game specific patches would work. D: and muh eShop.

M3d10n

Wouldn't that contradict his claim of being able to bypass the region lock?

AFAIK it's not certain it can bypass the region lock yet and hi claimed he was going to "look into it". Either Nintendo placed the flag that control the region lock in memory the game can access (and modify) or he's hoping the exploit to modify it can be reproduced in user-mode.

Forget about it. This hack runs inside a game. Barring some outrageous exploit, it won't be able to make any persistent changes to what happens outside the game. Also, how could homebrew enable video capture? I don't think there is enough power on the 3DS to stream to handle streaming the framebuffer into the SD card (is there even enough bandwidth on the SD card port for that?)

Elija2

Luckily my little brother owns a copy of DoA if that does end up being the game required for the exploit. I'm probably not gonna bother with this though because by the time enough good homebrew content comes out Nintendo will have patched the exploit in an update. This doesn't seem like a Wii situation where hackers kept finding new exploits after Nintendo patched an old one.

I think I'm gonna wait until Nintendo stops supporting the 3DS before I get into hacking it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It's very likely to be DoAD:

1) DoAD is one of the earliest games with a photo-mode and has a in-game photo viewer that only works with it's own photos (I believe it writes extra data to the JPEGs).

2) The photos are written to the SD card using a very simple game-specific encryption, not system-based encryption.

3) Since they claim you can use the eShop version, it can't be a save game exploit because eShop games use system-based encryption (which is very strong and is different for each console unit).

So, the hack is probably a custom made JPEG to be loaded in DoAD's photo viewer. It could also be Metal Gear Solid, since it's not available on the NA eShop and can load JPEGs for custom camo.
I think you nailed it, unless it's MGS3 for the same photo mode reason.

Krammy

As a big Dragon Quest fan, this is incredibly exciting news. I'll be eagerly awaiting the release this week and seeing what comes out of it. Until then, I might grab a second 3DS to sit on for modding purposes.

I happen to own DoAD. Thanks Argos for £5 copy (no thanks for torn cover despite being factory sealed :( ). In before the price surge...

Sad to hear the spotpass distro is long dead so I'll never be 100%. Thanks Tecmo...

Homebrew could lead to screen capture... but you can already use that with miiverse.
Pokemon XY and many other games do not allow screenshots to be posted on Miiverse (and the browser does not do image upload either it would seem). Also Miiverse requires an NNID...

But more to the point that requires this exploit to be able to load games which is not that likely.

1) DoAD is one of the earliest games with a photo-mode and has a in-game photo viewer that only works with it's own photos (I believe it writes extra data to the JPEGs).

2) The photos are written to the SD card using a very simple game-specific encryption, not system-based encryption.
From reading what the DoAD photo decrypter does, the images are stored in a TGA format (l and r images for each...so you can make it 3D).

However, using the decrypter requires you to take a specific photo (an all black image, you then substitute this with the photo you want) so maybe the encryption has some level of user or system specific changes.

Maybe such attacks (or potential) are why things like Streetpass Mii Plaza garden use JPEG (I think you get MPO as well)

Hasney

Dead or Alive 3DS is £6 in CEX. Going to grab one tomorrow because if it is the game, it will probably get scarce/go up in price. If it's not, well I like DoA anyway.

Well, I usually leave my 3DS on all the time in sleep mode. I just turned it off. Don't want any undue stability sneaking onto it.
While I guess it is better safe than sorry I don't think the 3DS can install updates on its own (kind of falls under hacking in a legal framework). It can download them and then go "system update is ready, want to install?" to which you can say no (you might be lower on battery etc).

Hasney

While I guess it is better safe than sorry I don't think the 3DS can install updates on its own (kind of falls under hacking in a legal framework). It can download them and then go "system update is ready, want to install?" to which you can say no (you might be lower on battery etc).

They actually advertised an automatic update feature in sleep mode before it launched. It's probably too risky to try it though as it'll brick if there's not enough battery.

I called it. They're just hijacking a game to run additional code, thus it's an user-mode hack. Let's see if the region unlock works.

3) Since they claim you can use the eShop version, it can't be a save game exploit because eShop games use system-based encryption (which is very strong and is different for each console unit).

So, the hack is probably a custom made JPEG to be loaded in DoAD's photo viewer. It could also be Metal Gear Solid, since it's not available on the NA eShop and can load JPEGs for custom camo.

This paired with the fact that DoAD is available for super cheap makes it the most likely candidate, I think.
Just looked it up on eBay (Germany) and it was available for 1-8€ a piece.
MGS3D on the other hand was like 15-30€ a piece.

tsab

Dead or Alive 3DS is in CEX. Going to grab one tomorrow because if it is the game, it will probably get scarce/go up in price. If it's not, well I like DoA anyway.

DOA for 3ds is very good. It retains the DOA2 era style and gameplay which I used to play on the Dreamcast (yeah yeah nostalgia). The tag AI could be better though

There is free spotpass DLC costumes. I don't know if it still available.

Khaz

Dammit, now there will be even less chances for this game to appear on the eShop! The only reason I don't play it more often is that I have to carry the cartridge with me :(

If you all are going to get DoA, don't just use it for the exploit and discard it, it's actually a fantastic game that ought to be played.

KingKiller

Neo Member
Okay, so having previously never owned a Nintendo device (at least since my DS which I played solely Chrono Trigger on) I really have no idea what a homebrew channel is. I know that I'll be able to use my 3DS as an emulator, which would be awesome. Can someone please give me a quick run down of the pros/cons?

Rich!

Okay, so having previously never owned a Nintendo device (at least since my DS which I played solely Chrono Trigger on) I really have no idea what a homebrew channel is. I know that I'll be able to use my 3DS as an emulator, which would be awesome. Can someone please give me a quick run down of the pros/cons?

Search for the homebrew channel for Wii on google.

Pros:

- Usb loader and backups for gamecube and Wii games
- Patches and mods
- Region free
- Emulators for nearly all systems
- You can back up your purchased digital titles, fuck the lack of an account system on nintendo consoles
- You can play gamecube games on the Wii U

Cons:

- Piracy.

Hesemonni

Banned
3DS Homebrew Channel would definately push me over the edge to finally buy a 3DS XL. The main reason I never got one was region lock.Silly reason, but artificial barriers like that really rub me the wrong way these days.

Smealum is really passionate what he does and I just hope he has the energy to further develop the Homebrew Channel after the initial release.

Khaz

I wonder if this will allow to bypass the country lock preventing from using the eShop from another country in the same region?

Even better if we could access the eShop from other regions, but this one is doubtful.

I wonder if this will allow to bypass the country lock preventing from using the eShop from another country in the same region?

Even better if we could access the eShop from other regions, but this one is doubtful.
Linking an NNID introduced the country lock and it is a lock on launching the eShop due to NNID being a piece of crap with 1 wallet ever (vs. the wallet for each country you had before linking NNID), 1 user per system which is why I never bothered with it on 3DS (I still think Nintendo are assholes for making free stuff the carrot here, jokes on them it has cost them a Pokebank subscription, SteelDiver Subwars premium purchase and a digital copy of FE Awakening).

If usermode can edit the region settings in system settings you might be able to change your 3DS country to one outside of the normal values and so access eShops outside of your region. However, it is unlikely anything you buy will be able to launch (without a region lock removal in any case) and it could lead to issues down the line (the exact version of a game you downloaded needs to be out in the country you are connected to for a redownload to happen and they could do like they did on the Wii to lock you into whatever region you first connect to*).

*-Sadly I am responsible for a European GAF member being stuck in the US Wii Shop...

How certain are we that DOAD is the game? I'll swing by my local gamestop after work today if that's the case. The idea of HBC on my 3DS is...scintillating.

Rich!

How certain are we that DOAD is the game? I'll swing by my local gamestop after work today if that's the case. The idea of HBC on my 3DS is...scintillating.

its a good game regardless. worst comes to worst, if its not that then return it. just dont unwrap it until its confirmed

There are not many cheap old 3DS games that are not out on all eShops (I think this is all that has been tweeted) and it has a potential attack vector via the photo mode.

It is not guaranteed but logically it makes sense to be as it ticks the required boxes.

M3d10n

I happen to own DoAD. Thanks Argos for £5 copy (no thanks for torn cover despite being factory sealed :( ). In before the price surge...

Sad to hear the spotpass distro is long dead so I'll never be 100%. Thanks Tecmo...

Pokemon XY and many other games do not allow screenshots to be posted on Miiverse (and the browser does not do image upload either it would seem). Also Miiverse requires an NNID...

But more to the point that requires this exploit to be able to load games which is not that likely.

From reading what the DoAD photo decrypter does, the images are stored in a TGA format (l and r images for each...so you can make it 3D).

However, using the decrypter requires you to take a specific photo (an all black image, you then substitute this with the photo you want) so maybe the encryption has some level of user or system specific changes.

Maybe such attacks (or potential) are why things like Streetpass Mii Plaza garden use JPEG (I think you get MPO as well)

I suppose libraries for reading JPEG images are more battle-hardened than a custom-made encrypting TGA parsing library. Also, many 3DS games output images, very few are capable of loading them.

Top Bottom