• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: Microsoft won't announce any new games at TGAs

Salex_

So WTF is coming out for this console during Q1 and Q2 next year?

Why did i buy this thing again...?

They operate during the holiday season. I'm kind of surprised that no one realizes this.

From January 1st to September 29th Kinect Sports Rivals was their retail exclusive (Xbox only).

RE_Player

They operate during the holiday season. I kind of surprised that no one realizes this.

From January 1st to September 29th Kinect Sports Rivals was their retail exclusive (Xbox only).
This. Sony has been known too spread releases through out the year. Microsoft has always had a holiday push with the rare game coming out during the early parts of the year. Both valid approaches.

Leflus

They operate during the holiday season. I'm kind of surprised that no one realizes this.

Yup. This is pretty much how they've operated since 2011.

I'd prefer it if they would space out their retail releases more, but it's not like they're forcing me to buy all their releases as soon as they come out.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Yup. This is pretty much how they've operated since 2011.

I'd prefer it if they would space out their retail releases more, but it's not like they're forcing me to buy all their releases as soon as they come out.

Or have a few flop sales wise from an otherwise more promising potential? I am no one to criticize MS for their business strategies....it has worked for them for quite a while. The question is how well will it work for a whole 5 years into this generation.

And yet the narrative that they have so many more games has gained so much strength. I just don't understand

GHG

Gold Member
Say what you want. The only game released on ps4 that isn't on pc aswell that I found even remotely ejoyable over the past year is TLOU remastered.

-Killzone is a joke and not nearly as good as previous installments (should have ended it in favor of resistance).
-Knack is.....well let's not talk about it.
-Infamous is by far the most dissapointing entry in the series and has a terrible story, too similar powers, very little content, horrible boss battles, ect.
- and driveclub isn't that great either. Despite what the deniers say.

I could draw up a similar list for the Xbox one exclusives so this is where it all boils down to personal preferences. FWIW I enjoyed a few of the titles you listed there. This is about the fact that there is very little for xbone owners going forwards into early 2015.

You have a PS4, PC and XB1 so there is going to be overlap for you, but that's not a common situation. Plus, PS4 had an extremely weak holiday and is making up for it in spring whereas MS has a much stronger holiday lineup, or at least would have if Halo hadn't had so many issues.

This is true but the holiday seasons are when the big hitter 3rd party exclusives launch so everyone has something to play regardless. Most people play 3rd party games at this time of the year. Spreading the exclusives out over the course of the year would be welcomed. That way there is always something to look forward to round the corner.

And this here summarises the problem nicely.

sn00zer

They are very smartly waiting for Sony to show their hand first. Im actually loving how competitive this gen has gotten, both companies are duking it out with software rather than advertising (there is still a ton of that dont get me wrong)

Jomjom

Banned
I think Greenberg is just lying to keep people surprised. Remember when David Jaffe straight out lied about Twisted Metal? I think thats whats happening here.

GnawtyDog

Banned
And yet the narrative that they have so many more games has gained so much strength. I just don't understand

It's a perception challenge. Sony should hire the PR firms doing the work - I'm sure Sony knows who they're - how it works. Problem is the FCC won't turn the other way on them...

Leflus

Or have a few flop sales wise from an otherwise more promising potential? I am no one to criticize MS for their business strategies....it has worked for them for quite a while. The question is how well it'll work for a whole 5 years in this generation.
There are certainly a couple of drawbacks to their strategy.

It could also lead to games being rushed to get released in time for the holiday season. Halo TMCC being a recent example.

Confirmed for 2015:
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Quantum Break
  • Screamride
  • Fable Legends
  • State of Decay: Year-One Survival Edition
  • Ori and The Blind Forest
  • Below

Below is a self-published indie game and timed exclusive, so you can take that off your list.

The Order is a delayed 2014 title....
Wat. I'm not sure I'd try to use that argument when trying to defend a lineup that includes Quantum Break, Halo 5 and Ori.

In a technical sense, yes. Though you wouldn't refer to them as such because they use AAA budgets and are large games with large dev teams. Many indie games have publishers like Hotline Miami or Journey. They are still referred to as indie games. Indie games usually refers to a small game, with a smalll budget, developed by a small studio these days. For all intents and purposes I would consider even a studio owned by Sony/MS like Twisted Pixel to still make indie games because thats the category the games they make fit into. Maybe a better term would be "Small downloadable games" but that doesn't really come out as easy.

That's even worse logic than when Microsoft listed Crytek and Double Helix as indies. Indie != "small downloadable games" or independently owned studios, indie == independant games. This means that the game needs to be developed independently from a major publisher.

So no, Journey isn't an indie game at all, it's a Sony first party game. If anyone says otherwise, they're wrong. Plain and simple. Similarly, Ori is a Microsoft first party title. Below, on the other hand, is an indie game, because Capy own and are self-publishing it.

As for Hotline Miami, I'm not entirely sure how that worked. I wouldn't necessarily rule it out just because it had a publisher, I think it depends on how involved they were. If say, Devolver Digital funded it, then yeah, I wouldn't consider it an indie game. If they merely distributed it then I'd probably give it a pass.

GHG

Gold Member
They market their bigger retail titles very well. Sunset Overdrive for example was treated similar to other Xbox One exclusives this year.

And yet it didn't even sell well...? Neither did Halo MCC if the UK sales results are anything to go by.

The reason the console itself sold so well this holiday season is because it was the cheapest place for the masses to play multiplatforms. Plain and simple. Its got nothing to do with the exclusive games.

And that is why I fail to understand their strategy of loading all of their exclusives into the last 4 months of the year. I understand its a momentum and "hype" thing for the holiday season, but surely it would be better to have some sort of steady momentum throughout a whole year rather than just for 3 months of a year?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Do MS have anything planned for next year beyond Halo 5 and Quantum Break? It seems like it's going to be a long and barren year for Xbone owners.

image.php

So WTF is coming out for this console during Q1 and Q2 next year?

Why did i buy this thing again...?

As an XB1 owner im really looking forward to Q1 - Q2 next year....Q4 2014 treated me so well im still backlogging but if i was greedy and had the time:

The Witcher 3
Evolve
pCars
Quantum Break - Unless its pushed back.
ScreamRide

Yup. Its painfully obvious even when looking at the previous generation that Microsoft is quite happy to coast in terms of first party support pre September.

The only real big exception I can see was Alan wake.

Whats different now is they dont have the third party exclusives and XBLA to fill in the gaps.

Bgamer90

Banned
And yet it didn't even sell well...? Neither did Halo MCC if the UK sales results are anything to go by.

Not sure I understand your point. The people who don't get into "console exclusive list battles" online (the majority of people who buy consoles) mostly care about third party multiplatform titles anyway. You are bringing up the fact that you want more exclusives but yet mention the fact that some don't sell well; doesn't that kind of go against your point/assumption about the lineup during the first six months of 2015?

Also, the Sunset Overdrive bundle sold out (at least here in North America). While I'm sure many got it due to the white color of the system, I'm also positive that others got it for the game too. That bundle helped Xbox One sales this past month.

The reason the console itself sold so well this holiday season is because it was the cheapest place for the masses to play multiplatforms. Plain and simple. Its got nothing to do with the exclusive games.

Again... not sure what you are trying to say. My point was never about sales. I simply just mentioned an exclusive game.

And that is why I fail to understand their strategy of loading all of their exclusives into the last 4 months of the year. I understand its a momentum and "hype" thing for the holiday season, but surely it would be better to have some sort of steady momentum throughout a whole year rather than just for 3 months of a year?

The last 2-3 months of the year are the biggest months for console sales. That's pretty much the reason why. Your complaint could be made about many third party companies.
Gaming as a whole is usually a bit slower during the first months of a year than it is during the AAA Fall onslaught.

GHG

Gold Member
Not sure I understand your point. The people who don't get into "console exclusive list battles" online (the majority of people who buy consoles) mostly care about third party multiplatform titles anyway. You are bringing up the fact that you want more exclusives but yet mention the fact that some don't sell well; doesn't that kind of go against your point/assumption about the lineup during the first six months of 2015?

Also, the Sunset Overdrive bundle sold out (at least here in North America). While I'm sure many got it due to the white color of the system, I'm also positive that others got it for the game too. That bundle helped Xbox One sales this past month.

Again... not sure what you are trying to say. My point was never about sales. I simply just mentioned an exclusive game.

The last 2-3 months of the year are the biggest months for console sales. That's pretty much the reason why. Your complaint could be made about many third party companies.
Gaming as a whole is usually a bit slower during the first months of a year than it is during the AAA Fall onslaught.

You said they "market their exclusives well". If they really did then the games wouldn't have sold below expectations.

As for my point about wanting more exclusives despite them not selling that well, what is wrong with that? You don't see Nintendo and Sony commonly giving up on their exclusive franchises and studios just because of sales. This is where Microsoft needs to see their 1st party as more as a long term investment. They need to understand that they should be building a centre of excellence, not just for now, but for the future as well. New ip didn't sell well 1st time round or did not turn out as good as expected? That's ok, as long as the studio are still motivated to go again and have a second stab at it then they should be allowed to do so without too much pressure. This is how you allow your talent to be creative.

If you look at how little they have actually built in house in terms of franchises and studios vs how long they have been in the industry its pretty shocking. The exclusive games should be reward you get as a consumer for investing in a console.

If Microsoft want to just ride it out on 3rd party games for 90% of the time going forwards then good luck to them because I'm not interested in being part of that journey with them.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This is true but the holiday seasons are when the big hitter 3rd party exclusives launch so everyone has something to play regardless. Most people play 3rd party games at this time of the year. Spreading the exclusives out over the course of the year would be welcomed. That way there is always something to look forward to round the corner.

Why is this time of year any different than the rest of the year? Do 3rd party games coming out for XB1 between now and next fall not count then?

Personally there are so many games I've bought in the past month that I'll be playing them well into next year.

Rembrandt

Banned
You said they "market their exclusives well". If they really did then the games wouldn't have sold below expectations.

As for my point about wanting more exclusives despite them not selling that well, what is wrong with that? You don't see Nintendo and Sony commonly giving up on their exclusive franchises and studios just because of sales. This is where Microsoft needs to see their 1st party as more as a long term investment. They need to understand that they should be building a centre of excellence, not just for now, but for the future as well. New ip didn't sell well 1st time round or did not turn out as good as expected? That's ok, as long as the studio are still motivated to go again and have a second stab at it then they should be allowed to do so without too much pressure. This is how you allow your talent to be creative.

If you look at how little they have actually built in house in terms of franchises and studios vs how long they have been in the industry its pretty shocking. The exclusive games should be reward you get as a consumer for investing in a console.

If Microsoft want to just ride it out on 3rd party games for 90% of the time going forwards then good luck to them because I'm not interested in being part of that journey with them.

how do you know they sold under expectations? you really shouldn't have bought a console you obviously do not like just because of one game.

Bgamer90

Banned

I simply meant that they actually talk about them and advertise them well (via various forms of media) instead of sweeping them under the rug; no matter what their style may be.

Also, how do you know Sunset Overdrive sold below their expectations? As I said before, the special bundle is sold out (at least in North America) and I would assume that the number MS made was based on how they felt the game/bundle would do (unless they really wanted to just be unique/special and nothing more).

That's the thing... there will be more new IPs coming to the system. This is still the very early part of the gen. You are making a pretty silly assumption based simply on you not having information about 2015 games in 2014.

They were for me at least. But I don't really see things as "first party retail exclusive", "third party retail exclusive", "digital exclusive", etc.

I'm mainly a console gamer so I view a game that isn't on the other two current gen consoles as an exclusive. Games like Forza, Titanfall, Killer Instinct, and Sunset Overdrive were all reasons why I bought the Xbox One before the PS4.

Heh, I (again) don't really understand your point. Games that aren't exclusive will probably make up around 80-90% of the libraries of both the Xbox One and PS4. The only console I could see you being happy with right now is the Wii U.

GHG

Gold Member
How about you stop peddling your biased opinions as facts?

I'm biased for stating there are a lack of exclusives coming to the console for early next year? Ok then... Maybe you want to put that quote back into the context of what this whole discussion is about?

Show me a list of exclusives confirmed to be coming out q1 and q2 next year. I'd like to be enlightened.

I'm biased for stating there are a lack of exclusives coming to the console for early next year? Ok then... Maybe you want to put that quote back into the context of what this whole discussion is about?

Show me a list of exclusives confirmed to be coming out q1 and q2 next year. I'd like to be enlightened.

I assume you have felt the same way about the PS4 this fall/holiday season?

Do you even own a Xbox One? Seems weird you just bought a console you clearly seem to dislike and think is going to have no games next year. I wouldn't do that myself... seems like a waste of money. But if you do my gamertag is Matty aka Matty. Add me and we can find something in this barren lineup to play sometime!

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

The thing is you only play exclusives on your XB1 because you play multiplats on the PS4, for someone that doesn't have a PS4 there will be games to play early next year.

Your argument seems to only relate to multi-console owners who prefer to play games on the PS4.

GHG

Gold Member
I assume you have felt the same way about the PS4 this fall/holiday season?

Yep I have actually and I've was pretty vocal about the driveclub launch fiasco. But, because of the volume of multiplatform games the exclusive drought has not been felt as much on the PS4.

The same will not be able to be said for the Xbox one for me at the start of next year however. There are not that many multiplatform games scheduled and there are pretty much no exclusives scheduled. This is further compounded by the fact that I would buy any exclusives on the ps4 or the PC dependant on what type of game it is and how well the PC port turns out. So if there are no exclusives on the Xbox one it will not get much use from me.

No, that's not at all what you are saying, you are saying that there are very few games for Xbox One owners to look forward to in early 2015. You are speaking from your position as a multiple console owner with a capable PC, yet at the same time you are making sweeping statements about all Xbox One owners. I already pointed that out for you, but you keep doing your thing. I wonder why...

And even if we were to talk about exclusives alone - and let's face it, the situation is not all that different on PS4 either, there is, what, one extra retail title, with most indie releases on both platforms not having set release dates or being much more than console exclusives or "exclusive console debuts"? - you'd just keep waving them off as games you're not interested in, like you've been doing all along. Everyone can play that game with the line up of any console.

Yep I have actually and I've was pretty vocal about the driveclub launch fiasco. But, because of the volume of multiplatform games the exclusive drought has not been felt as much on the PS4.

The same will not be able to be said for the Xbox one for me at the start of next year however. There are not that many multiplatform games scheduled and there are pretty much no exclusives scheduled. This is further compounded by the fact that I would buy any exclusives on the ps4 or the PC dependant on what type of game it is and how well the PC port turns out. So if there are no exclusives on the Xbox one it will not get much use from me.

Translation: You bought an Xbox One so you could bitch about it on NeoGaf and then play the but I own one card.

Rembrandt

Banned

the witcher, evolve, dying light, saints row iv, doa, resident evil, bladestorm, project cars, battlefield hardline, though? very light on exclusives, I agree, but there are definitely many multiplatform games coming out. once again, it's your fault for buying a console you do not like because of one game, even more so when you have a pc and the system that will get the better version of aforementioned multis. as just a xbox/pc owner, i'm pretty satisfied. not too many exclusives, but the ones coming out interest me and I'll have tons of multiplatform games to play, along with halo 5 beta and the fable legends one.

GHG

Gold Member
Translation: You bought an Xbox One so you could bitch about it on NeoGaf and then play the but I own one card?

Yeh 100%. You got me.

That and sinking over 50 hours into Horizon 2. But mainly to bitch on neogaf.

Think I'll leave this as it is. I've stated my opinion. But apparently every other Xbox one owner is ok with there being no exclusives early next year. I'll jog along now.

That's a strong accusation...

Is it? Am I in the clear to jump in every PS4 thread and shit it up because I own one, but clearly prefer my Xbox? PS4 has no games because I buy them all on my Xbox One... therefor PS4 sucks. I own it though! Look, I can do the same thing as this guy!

SgtCobra

Ah, this thread turned out pretty wel...
Think I'll leave this as it is. I've stated my opinion. But apparently every other Xbox one owner is ok with there being no exclusives next year. I'll jog along now.
Ehh there are enough Xbox One exclusives for next year, just not that many big ones. If you're a XB1 only owner you're gonna have a pretty good time.

Unfortunately Halo 5 and Quantum Break (Don't delay it Remedy, please) are the only 2015 AAA Xbox One only titles that interest me at the moment, but that's another story.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Is it? Am I in the clear to jump in every PS4 thread and shit it up because I own one, but clearly prefer my Xbox? PS4 has no games because I buy them all on my Xbox One... therefor PS4 sucks! Look, I can do the same thing as this guy!

Happens quite often.....it comes in different flavors too.

Rembrandt

Banned
Ratchet and Clank Remake, Teraway Unfolded, Deep Down...

Until dawn, Disgaea 5, Yakuza Zero...

these don't even have official dates yet, besides for disgaea 5, iirc. and that poster talked about early 2015. as it stands, it's basically the order and bloodborne in comparison to screamride, state of decay and ori. i think the ps4 has the stronger lineup in the first months, too, but am I missing games that would extend this supposed huge gap in quantity of exclusives from here until march?

Sigh.

As it stands, it's 3v3.

Order, Bloodborne, MLB15 v Screamride, Ori, SoD.

3 retail titles vs 1 ,if you care so much about such foolish semantics.

Top Bottom