• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: Microsoft won't announce any new games at TGAs

Welp Microsoft are in a world of trouble if Sony announces a few brand new games or new IPs. They would lose all the momentum they built up with the price drop.

Head.spawn

“TGS is a Japanese show. It’s a games show, it’s a Japanese games show, so it didn’t really feel like the right place for us to talk about Microsoft products, but Japan and Japanese games isn't exactly critical to Microsoft’s success."

Phil Spencer

What does TGS have to do with this thread?

Err, it's not padding a list if I find all those games appealing. And what's wrong with Happy Wars? I've had some of my best times with friends on that "shitty" game on the 360.

I listed all Microsoft owned IP and some "timed" exclusives that look pretty damn promising. Anyways, I wasn't trying to one-up Playstation or whatever, in fact, I think Playstation looks to have an AMAZING line-up next year that beats X1's any day... but my point of the list was that the X1 isn't "baren" or whatever hyperbole troll things people like to come up with. If you don't like some of those games, then fine, but it's pretty diverse and there is plenty to play.

But ya, as usual, MS doesn't look to have any good "AAA" games until late summer. That's sorta their thing though, so if anyone was expecting otherwise that's on them

This is my point, I'm not saying you can't enjoy those games, its subjective and those games can satisfy you, I never brought up Playstation. My point is the bolded

MS owned IP, therefore MS funded...sooooo

See, my post above. For all intents and purposes its what we would refer to as "indie." If you'd rather me say small downloadble title than thats fine.

Leflus

In a technical sense, yes. Though you wouldn't refer to them as such because they use AAA budgets and are large games with large dev teams. Many indie games have publishers like Hotline Miami or Journey. They are still referred to as indie games. Indie games usually refers to a small game, with a smalll budget, developed by a small studio these days. For all intents and purposes I would consider even a studio owned by Sony/MS like Twisted Pixel to still make indie games because thats the category the games they make fit into. Maybe a better term would be "Small downloadable games" but that doesn't really come out as easy.
Eh. I disagree with you then.

I consider indie games to be games made and owned by independent studios. "Downloadable games" is a much better umbrella term imo.

Leflus

Like Sunset Overdrive then.
That's certainly closer to the definition of an indie game than Ori is. Seeing as how the game was funded and published by a major publisher, I wouldn't excactly call it an indie game either though.

Xando

Lol @ Sony blowing its load before E3 = MS teh doomed.
It's always interesting to see MS focusing on E3 and the US audience so much and then do shit at GC and TGS while the perception of some Gafers seem to suggest E3 is the only worthy place to unveil games.

chadskin

Welp Microsoft are in a world of trouble if Sony announces a few brand new games or new IPs. They would lose all the momentum they built up with the price drop.

I wouldn't go as far just yet but yeah, I feel MS dropped the ball here. It's nice to have a great holiday exclusives lineup and all but then you don't need to be surprised when your competitor takes the lead in the remaining 10 or 11 months of the year in NPD sales.

Their relatively barren release schedule for the first half of 2015 was what ultimately kept me from buying a XBO this holiday. Sunset Overdrive alone doesn't justify spending 300-400 bucks for me while all other games on XBO I'm interested in are available on PC and/or PS4. Here's hoping for a slim XBO bundled with Quantum Break for $299 in the fall next year. :)

Bgamer90

Banned

Uhh... how? The momentum they've gained with the price drop has pretty much been thanks to the Holiday season having a ton of third party releases/support. Both companies will have new games and IPs to announce next year, you know... as is the case every year.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah this strategy is going to come back to bite Sony in the ass when E3 rolls around and they literally have no games to show.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic but I'm sure Sony has a lot of new game announcements planned at next year's E3 too. Would be surprised if the majority of it will be for 2015 though.

Halo 5
Screamride
State of Decay Year 1 Edition
Ori & the Blind Forest
Fable Legends
Cuphead
Quantum Break
Forza 6 (probably)
Below
Rise of Tomb Raider
Inside
Neverwinter Online
Happy Wars
Killer Instinct Season 3
Indies, Indies, Indies

Your concern is noted however

That list is oozing with quality.

I personally can't wait to play indies, indies, indies. I wonder what it's gonna scale on the metacritic.

chadskin

Halo 5
Screamride
State of Decay Year 1 Edition PC
Ori & the Blind Forest PC
Fable Legends
Cuphead PC
Quantum Break
Forza 6 (probably)
Below PC
Rise of Tomb Raider PC, PS4 after the exclusive deal ends
Inside PC
Neverwinter Online PC
Happy Wars PC
Killer Instinct Season 3
Indies, Indies, Indies

So, yeah. But tough spot to be in for MS. On the one hand you want to sell your Xbox, on the other hand you have to support Windows with some games, too.

lol it was only a matter of time b4 M$ didnt have anything new to announce...

just like the x360 days...

just keep doing halo, forza, Gears.. seems to be working right?

Xbox always starts strong has games then droughtt...

xbox fanboys always argue different lol

This is a joke post right? The Xbox 360 had very good first party support for the first 4 or so years before relying on their primary stable of successful franchises you mention in your post. Even then, they still produced games that weren't in those franchises, just not as frequently. For the Xbox One we have a minimum of a few years before we can expect the same few franchises to be the only milk from the first party teet.

keep telling your self that brotha..

the problem with MS is that they only invest in games that will sell Millions.. yeah MS has some games coming to the Console in 2015 but for many of those its a new IP and you wont see a sequal if they dont sell... thats why you see halo, forza, Gears all the time

You're being silly, just because Microsoft does depend on a stable of reliable selling franchises doesn't mean they won't support other games as well. We saw multiple Viva Piñata games on the 360 even though the first didn't set the world on fire. We have a new Crackdown and Phantom Dust coming, which if you were to ask me, neither deserves to be made after the poor showing of Crackdown 2 or the likely horrendous sales of the first Phantom Dust. Sony relies on their stable of primary games, just the same as Microsoft and Nintendo do. You've got to take a step back and see that.

This is a joke post right? The Xbox 360 had very good first party support for the first 4 or so years before relying on their primary stable of successful franchises you mention in your post. Even then, they still produced games that weren't in those franchises, just not as frequently. For the Xbox Ome we have a minimum of a few years before we can expect the same few franchises to be the only milk from the first party teet.

the problem with MS is that they only invest in games that will sell Millions.. yeah MS has some games coming to the Console in 2015 but for many of those its a new IP and you wont see a sequal if they dont sell... thats why you see halo, forza, Gears all the time

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

So much shit in one post. Kudos.

PhatSaqs

Banned

Yep. Killer Instinct, Quantum Break, Scalebound, Phantom Dust, Crackdown, Cuphead, State of Decay etc are all games that will all sell millions hence the investment by MS.

So 2015=Indiebox One?

Will be funny looking at post histories for 'Lol indiestation4' comments.

Its also funny reading the posts about how MS has no exclusives. Pot kettle black. Sony's output this year has been abysmal. I think you guys have misplaced your anger.

Somnia

You're gonna last long here.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Its also funny reading the posts about how MS has no exclusives. Pot kettle black. Sony's output this year has been abysmal. I think you guys have misplaced your anger.

Do you practice cognitive dissonance or what? You and anyone else who consistently says the PS4's output has been abysmal, despite it having a larger library than Xbox One, is asinine.

Edit: Argh, I didn't read that you said 'exclusives', but even on that front there are technically more exclusive games on the PS4. As far as which games are better, that's another, subjective, issue. So it still remains that their output has not been abysmal.

Do you practice cognitive dissonance or what? You and anyone else who consistently says the PS4's output has been abysmal, despite it having a larger library than Xbox One, is asinine.

Do you? I was specifically talking about Sony's output. You know, since we're shitting on MS for that I thought it was fair game.

Lmao, like you didn't contribute.

I have, but I don't recall ever downplaying any part of any "list."

I list games as they are, from Halo to Hohokum. Whether or not any of you all want to discredit or devalue a particular game in the list,well, that's your opinion.

Top Bottom