• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Debut Trailer [Update: Leaked Screenshots In OP]

I really hope the Assassins feel like some sort of Order again, instead of just random people who suddenly decide they are one of the Assassins.

Randdalf

Remember when Assassin's Creed was about assassinations?

To be honest, it hasn't really been about assassinations since AC2, and even then they were a bit thin on the ground. I really liked the intent behind AC1, and I'd like to see a game with the same intent but better execution.

This game reeks of retcon

How can Edward Kenway be a pirate, yet during his son Haytham's backstory, he lived in a mansion?

velociraptor

I really hope the Assassins feel like some sort of Order again, instead of just random people who suddenly decide they are one of the Assassins.
I gather you are referring to AC3, correct? Connor was trained by former Assassin that was part of the order. However, it appeared to be a two man operation, lol.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Too soon. I can understand a next game but why is it jumping straight to AC4 and not AC3:Subtitle.

I felt that a lot more could be done with AC3 and it's era. I know Connor was boring but it could still be expanded on.

Atleast this character seems to be alot more lively. A personality along the lines with Ezio.

Might pass on this in favor for Watch_Dogs though.

Remember when Assassin's Creed was about assassinations?

Well to be fair, you could only stretch the whole actual assisination mechanic so far (hence AC1 is about 3 times too long and most people can't stand it). I mean what do people want, for this to become the Hitman series?

It's always been just a name of an organization that does quite a bit more than just kill people. I agree that maybe they could have considered a different name for the Assassins though.

Still love this series and, even though it took this long, gladly we're finally getting a motherfuckin' pirate game!

ultron87

Boarding an enemy ship in that era will always be the coolest possible action scene. So hopefully this game does that all the time. The two or three times you do it in AC3 were great.

This game reeks of retcon

How can Edward Kenway be a pirate, yet during his son Haytham's backstory, he lived in a mansion?

A successful pirate/privateer would end up pretty rich.

Flipyap

Too soon. I can understand a next game but why is it jumping straight to AC4 and not AC3:Subtitle.
Most likely because marketing managed to discover that numbered sequels sell better than clearly marked spin-offs, even though it's a franchise built around spin-offs. Consumerist psychologyyy.

There are still people saying the series needs to take a breather? They sell a minimum of 10 million copies for every new entry in the series every year.

Not of fan of COD but I'm past the point complaining about annuel entries. If it sells, people want it. Accept it and move on.

sappyday

It actually looked pretty good and better than AC3. However I was saying the same thing when the first AC3 trailer came out. I just at least hope the MC is somewhat more interesting than Connor and that the PS4 version looks close to that CG trailer in terms of visuals.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Haha there are definenently people in here who know what they are talking about and posting "speculation" that's actually fact ;).

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Here's some speculation, because I really don't know, but we don't actually know who Achielles mentor was correct? He's one of the best characters added to the series, I think it would be great if he's somehow tied in since this is really about how the Order made it to the America's in the first place

the best part of ac3 was sailing and the battles.. i don't see any other games that will let you be a pirate and open world sailing. picking this one up.

Irish

AC CG trailers are the best. I still want to see a high-quality AC CG full-length feature film.

I wonder what new features we'll have this time around. I also hope this character is as interesting as a character as Altair was and nowhere near as bland as Ezio, Haytham, or Connor. In addition to that, I want it to have a tone very similar to the one found in AC1 and AC:R.

CrazyDude

AC CG trailers are the best. I still want to see a high-quality AC CG full-length feature film.

I wonder what new features we'll have this time around. I also hope this character is as interesting as a character as Altair was and nowhere near as bland as Ezio, Haytham, or Connor. In addition to that, I want it to have a tone very similar to the one found in AC1 and AC:R.

Altair is the most bland character out of all them. He barley has any character. I can't how you can like him over Ezio.

When will this medium grow up and stop plastering giant boobs all over everything?

"Woah, a naked girl with another woman in the bed!? And that girl at the end had some nice tits too! Definitely buying the game now!"

No one will take this medium seriously as long as we continue to market them to people with the mentality of 16 year old boys. Yes, it's a business, blah blah blah, but it still holds the medium back.

Other than that, it seems interesting enough.

CrazyDude

When will this medium grow up and stop plastering giant boobs all over everything?

"Woah, a naked girl with another woman in the bed!? And that girl at the end had some nice tits too! Definitely buying the game now!"

No one will take this medium seriously as long as we continue to market them to people with the mentality of 16 year old boys. Yes, it's a business, blah blah blah, but it still holds the medium back.

Other than that, it seems interesting enough.

Because no other medium has boobs in them.

CipherT

Neo Member
I lost interest in Assassins Creed awhile back (Haven't even played the last two games) but just the setting of this game has me extremely interested! I ain't expecting any gameplay changes with this title for obvious reasons.

Because no other medium has boobs in them.

And it makes me roll my eyes just as much when other mediums do it, but it seems to me that gaming relies on it far more than movies or TV shows (not counting reality TV).

And it it's not boobs, then it's excessive amount of violence. Or both a la Tomb Raider.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Altair is the most bland character out of all them. He barley has any character. I can't how you can like him over Ezio.

Because Altair progressed, learned, changed his views and matured over the game. They didn't need 3 expansions to his game to get there. Oh.. and he was an ice cold gangster.

Love Altair.

CrazyDude

And it makes me roll my eyes just as much when other mediums do it, but it seems to me that gaming relies on it far more than movies or TV shows.

Why? There are hardly any boobs in video games. I have seen more sex scenes in other media then I have in games. I think you are exaggerating on how wide spread it is.

Because Altair progressed, learned, changed his views and matured over the game. They didn't need 3 expansions to his game to get there. Oh.. and he was an ice cold gangster.

Love Altair.

Unnaturally progressed. I killed a bunch people, now all of a sudden I am changed person for no reason what so ever and I am still as boring as ever! His progression is so poorly executed you might as well not have it. It was to rushed and there was no good reason for his change.

Why? There are hardly any boobs in video games. I have seen more sex scenes in other media then I have in games. I think you are exaggerating on how wide spread it is.

You may be right, but I feel like I've been seeing a lot more of it lately, with Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, and now this. Obviously I haven't spent much time analyzing trends in gaming or whatever, but it just feels like it's getting worse, not better. Who knows.

I just want to see some women in gaming that don't have boobs the size of my head every once in a while. I'm aware they exist, but they're in such a minority it's stupid.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.

Unnaturally progressed. I killed a bunch people, now all of a sudden I am changed person for no reason what so ever and I am still as boring as ever! His progression is so poorly executed you might as well not have it. It was to rushed and there was no good reason for his change.

.... i dunno man. It was a lot less "forced" then either Ezio or Connor's eventual change to mature assassin. Altair started out as a master assassin... was brought low by his arrogance and then slowly worked his confidence back up over the course of the entire game via the sub missions and talking to other assassins. He clearly starts cocky as fuck - gets regulated on - starts of bitter and in a rush to redeem himself and then slowly learns what it means to be a Master Assassin... where towards the end of the game he is conscience of not only his enemies goals and desires but also the help and support he has been receiving and the gravity of his situation.

Compared to - Herp derp revenge in both the other games.

edit:
Blackbeard is saying all those exact things about him in the voiceover.

Edward's swagger is on display hard as well through out the whole thing. No super hardcore "moment" in this trailer for me tho... not like the AC3 Cinematic Trailer (war time assassination was epic)

I'm willing to bet you work with Blackbeard at some point. I don't wanna be a no-name up and comer who stumbles into this historic role... I want to be a fucking known terror of the seas. Cause i'm a fucking assassin. And they are supposed to be freakin epic.

I am kind of subtly reminded of Spawn - Where they would have Pirate and wild west and old roman and caveman and alien and futuristic versions of spawn pop up all over the place when he went to hell and then every once in a while tell one of their stories. Like - being an assassin makes you mad dangerous. Being a Pirate Captain of fearsome renown and ALSO an assassin... well... that's someone you don't fuck with.

CrazyDude

You may be right, but I feel like I've been seeing a lot more of it lately, with Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, and now this.

I just want to see some women in gaming that don't have boobs the size of my head every once in a while. I'm aware they exist, but they're in such a minority it's stupid.

Because boobs are generally pretty visible on women. Have you seen women? Thier boobs generally stick out from there chest.

Bioshock infinite and the new tomb raiders boobs are not that big.

GAMERG0D

What if
Edward dies during the main story (AC Encyclopedia says he died when Haytham was 8) and you play as Haytham post-game?

Top Bottom