• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Debut Trailer [Update: Leaked Screenshots In OP]

DMB4237

Neo Member
Had the name Edward Kenway been confirmed after the rumors and before this trailer? Because that pirate just confirmed it.

Ask about everyone who played the first AC, most of the responses will go along the lines of "It had potential but became too monotone", that is the response I get from a lot of friends and here in GAF.

So it's because Assassin's Creed 1 was not heavily marketed that it "bombed" critically not because of it's glaring flaws with repetitive gameplay?

Hate to get speculative this early, but if the MC is Connor's grandfather, could this mean AC4 is just a throwaway tale from the middle of the overarching AC story? I mean,

how can Desmond's ancestors advance the AC story any farther after his death at the end of AC3? Seems like there's plenty of story left to tell in the AC narrative, but I don't see how it can be continued through Desmond's lineage without being some kind of throwaway story set before (or during?) the events of AC3 without some retcon.

Hate to get speculative this early, but if the MC is Connor's grandfather, could this mean AC4 is just a throwaway tale from the middle of the overarching AC story? I mean,

how can Desmond's ancestors advance the AC story any farther after his death at the end of AC3? Seems like there's plenty of story left to tell in the AC narrative, but I don't see how it can be continued through Desmond's lineage without being some kind of throwaway story set before (or during?) the events of AC3 without some retcon.

Or maybe they should just throw away Desmond's arc and do whatever they want with the setting.

Another Ezio-like Character ?!, meeeeeh, I will skip it then.

It is sad what is becoming of AC series, the series that used to be about Assassination & Stealth, now it is about Pirates and Grand Naval Battle.

2 Swords, 4 Guns, 100 Canon, no need to use a hidden blade any more LOL

edgefusion

Can't help but get excited for a new AC game, even if 3 was a bit of a deflator. The news it's coming to next-gen consoles makes me even more excited! Can't wait to see some gameplay running on PS4. E3 I guess?

Rtas

There better be a fucking sneak button otherwise no matter how pretty they make this game I'm going to find it just as annoying as fuck as AC III

The only major problems I had with AC3 were the secondary objectives and the throw away Desmond missions.

I am glad that they are going to a new character straight away. Conner was kind of lacking any personality. Judging from the trailer it seems that Edward will be very similar to the cocky ladies man that Ezio was, which is awesome.

I am also loving the look of the Assassin too (maybe a little too much armor) Its good seeing him back in white and red.

I hope that wasn't all the content we will be getting monday. I also hope that this means Ubi will have a booth at PAX East for AC4.

Gadirok

Wow, I thought the revelations CG trailer was mind blowing. This is great too, but nothing tops the revelations cinematic trailer. Glad it won an award at the 2011 VGAs for it too because it deserved.

This is probably the second best CG trailer I've seen in awhile. It has some great execution, and if this is like Sly 3 naval and exploration I am so down.

How was AC3 naval battles? I wanted to check it out but didn't get the time, and then I heard all the bad press on the glitches and mess that it was. Going to my cousin's house to see him die on a bridge 1000 times due to uneven odds was worse because he couldn't stealth or hide properly or the AI picked up on him way too early to give him a fighting chance.

Also opening a door to fall through the level was hilarious, because thats exactly what happened when I saw him playing.

dEvAnGeL

Another Ezio-like Character ?!, meeeeeh, I will skip it then.

It is sad what is becoming of AC series, the series that used to be about Assassination & Stealth, now it is about Pirates and Grand Naval Battle.

stealth? we must have played different franchises and ubisoft was very smart with the animus idea, they can make a game on any time period regardless of the mechanics, if you think is sad why don't you let us know what ideas would you implement in the franchise to make it better, how about some constructive criticism

Luthos

On one hand, I've always wanted more attempts and open-world pirate games.

On the other, it doesn't seem to mesh right with Assassin's Creed. A pirate assassin? I'd rather they go with their supposed "cliche" route, in feudal Japan or China.

Mogwai

I've been thinking this too. But let's be honest. Stealth has never worked very well in the AC series anyway. At least the combat has developed over the course of the games. I would like to see some better sneak action though.

What does sequential time have to do with the story?

With Juno on the rampage, there is a crisis to fight, plus there's still the templars and all sorts of Pieces of Eden. It's entirely plausible that some older part of Desmond's lineage comes into contact with other pieces or is otherwise the key for some modern-day part of the story.

As long as Desmond stays as is he can't relive those moments but he's certainly not the only animus-compatible person out there.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's bound to be different from previous AC games as a result of the ships being central to the theme.

All AC trailers, except ACR, have shown what the game would be like. Look at AC2's trailer, which showed you could hire prostitutes, revealed the day/night cycle, hidden-gun, etc.

In this one there is dual sword wield, four guns, ship battles and boarding, jungle/nature, underwater, cities, rain (as in AC3), maybe teammates (black guy and the other pirate), etc. And ninja-pirate.

I dunno how to feel.

Day 1.

Goddamn it, Ubi, you got me again. I'm just gonna ignore the modern day stuff cause the historical stories are at least always interesting.

JoshHood

Can't help but get excited for a new AC game, even if 3 was a bit of a deflator. The news it's coming to next-gen consoles makes me even more excited! Can't wait to see some gameplay running on PS4. E3 I guess?
Yeah, gameplay seems to be in the Ubi and Sony conferences lately. Guessing half the demo in each or something, with an emphasis on PS4 in the Sony one.

Spinluck

They should just make CG movies, they're far more interesting than the actual games at this point.

I won't be fooled again. I own AC1-2-3, and won't buy 4 unless it's a vast improvement. I'll wait till this is like $15-$20. At least it isn't a spin off. I wouldn't even consider it then.

C'mon Ubi, put some damn facial hair on this "pirate"

mHs5hVX.jpg

Oh wow, I like that.

Costume design is hard as hell, especially when it has to be; realistic, subtle yet familiar. Having to reflect the time period, incorporate a solid silhouette that is easily identifiable yet at the same time recognizable as connected to past assassins but dissociated with their style is insanely tough. Also, Ezio and Connor's costumes are fucking beautifully done. They all look similar solely because of the hood, since the head is the central spot most people focus and they are kind of stuck with that design because that's the recognizable feature the series has in common.

Plus with Connor, blending his native american heritage into a colonial garb that blends in with the average person, yet stands out and identifies him with another group and at the same time showing his neutrality and physical ability is also tough. The similar hood is a bit cheap and I'd like to see it incorporated someway else, but they are kind of stuck with that design decision now.

This issue is, the designs lack any renovation- it looks like a medieval Assassins Creed cloak with a few color swaps and accessories to match the era. I want a revamp to truly make it fit the era, but also defining the assassin look. I was really disappointed with the lack of American Indian influence in Conor's clothes- he also sticks out like a sore thumb. Its just weird.

I don't think they would've announced this as soon as they did if ACIII had fared better. I know it sold well, but there has been a lot of complaints about bugs, poor missions design, and a generally lackluster experience. I feel as though Ubisoft is finally sensing some brand fatigue, or is atleast trying to minimize it by jumping straight into the next numbered installment so soon. Putting "Black Flag" in the title also distinguishes it further from ACIII just in case consumers had any reservations about picking it up after being let down by that game.

That being said, the trailer looks very cool but gameplay will be more crucial than ever this time around. I hope they aren't relying too heavily on the change in scenery.

Meet the new Assassin, same as the last Assassin.

Not gonna touch this one on release because I know a complete edition with all the preorder DLC will come out four months later.

CG was really impressive almost fooled me for live action at one point. Will wait to see some actual gameplay before i get too hyped. Love the setting though. Hope we can have giant ship to ship battles boarding enemy ships like a errol flynn film.

TrutaS

Looks interesting, but more fitting of next-gen. I guess Ubisoft can't wait a few months to get their money...

I wonder if we'll get some insight on Haytham in this game. I mean, they have to, right?

Probably not. Haytham wasn't born until after Edward retired in London and married Haytham's mother. We'll probably learn more about Edward's first marriage and Haytham's half-sister Jenny.

If you wish to know more about Haytham, they released a novel, Assassin's Creed: Forsaken; it goes over Haytham's life before and during the events of ACIII.

kitsuneyo

Since it was all-CG, I'm going to try and imagine what my reaction would be if this trailer was for a movie...

I don't think I'd be lining up at the box office.

Keasar

Definetly a lot more interesting premise than the 3rd game. Pirates instead of "AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!".

Thebrokenleg

Neo Member
Hard to get a good picture of the game since it was CGI, but I guess it'll be the same as the other games: good story and bad gameplay.

HardRojo

So it's because Assassin's Creed 1 was not heavily marketed that it "bombed" critically not because of it's glaring flaws with repetitive gameplay?

What? How did you come to that conclusion? I just mentioned it bombed critically and yeah, it was because of its flaws.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I dont know how they do it but every damn year they come up with some way to make Assassins Creed appealing again. Fucking pirates yo.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The main character looks so uninspired. He's just a generic Assassin's Creed assassin in a pirate setting. How boring is that? Give him an eye patch (they could do some cool Eagle Vision stuff with it), a hook for a hand (you can still climb, zipline, and even fight with it - give a whole new meaning to the hook blade), a peg leg - at the very least give the man a beard! Have some fun with it, ffs.

LOCK

It's actually cool that we have no real idea how this game is going to advance the AC story.

But it looks interesting!

SJRB

Gold Member
The main character looks so uninspired. He's just a generic Assassin's Creed assassin in a pirate setting. How boring is that? Give him an eye patch (they could do some cool Eagle Vision stuff with it), a hook for a hand (you can still climb, zipline, and even fight with it - give a whole new meaning to the hook blade), a peg leg - at the very least give the man a beard! Have some fun with it, ffs.

Might still happen though. Similar to previous games we'll probably see different moments in the character's life.

stealth? we must have played different franchises
Nope we just had different expectations.

and ubisoft was very smart with the animus idea
Agree 100%

they can make a game on any time period
True

regardless of the mechanics
See ?!, different expectations.

if you think is sad why don't you let us know what ideas would you implement in the franchise to make it better
Sure just take a look at Dishonored, I want to be able to sneak into a place, assassinate the target, then leave without anyone knowing, we already got the open world formula, we need the sandbox level design formula now.

Using the refined Crowd Stealth System from ACIII, using the crowd to slip past guards, or even using the crowd to distract guards, reaching the target and assassinating him from the crowd without anyone knowing who did it.

Or climbing up the building, avoiding roof guards by either slipping by or killing them, searching for entry points -the place should have multiple ones-, searching for the target inside, if detected more guards come to fight, if not you can reach the target in his room and assassinate him in his sleep or something.

These are like very VERY basic ideas.

how about some constructive criticism
I am all for that in the official forum, there are no devs here right ?!.
Though I doubt Ubi would listen, they target mass appeal.

I hope I am not cynical or came as a rude person, I am actually more into Ninjas than Pirates, heck Ninjas are more about Stealth than pirates.

==========================================================

I've been thinking this too. But let's be honest. Stealth has never worked very well in the AC series anyway.
It had potential, it was something new that needed improvements and refinements rather than abandoning it all together, right ?!

At least the combat has developed over the course of the games. I would like to see some better sneak action though.

I agree to a degree, in terms of what you can do with combat it improved with more options, sadly it still lacks the challenge part.

while playing ACIII I did this awesome Double Takedown, but I was never able to do it again, cause the enemies rarely attack together, it is always one at a time, and believe me I tried ALOT, standing there in the middle of 3 or 5 guards, blocking and waiting, blocking and waiting, too many times.

Top Bottom