• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 singleplayer gameplay october 1st at 1PM PDT

Vic_Viper

actually really impressed with the SP. Ill definitely be buying it now day one. Wish there were more games like this more often. Hope they do WW2 next!

Didn't notice the first time through, but the tank gunner spares a German soldier crouched in a fetal position at around 7:10 (other obviously shocked soldiers listlessly stumbling backwards aren't as fortunate though).

Machina

Banned
This is just the intro, folks. When that black screen kicks in right at the end, that's where the Battlefield 1 logo is supposed to pop. Is this how the whole single player is gonna pan out? You play one characters story until they (you) die then you move on to the next one? That would make for an awesome meta game, trying to stay alive as best as possible so you can view this characters whole story. It brings the threat of death right back into the fold.

Wow, this is all speculation of course, but has Battlefield ever won Game of the Year before?

Gameplay looks pretty standard, but it comes together nicely. It should be quite the experience, like Killzone 2 was.

But sadly, it doesnt look anywhere near as fun as BC2. I guess that's the sacrifice. Cant exactly respectfully tell WW1 while tearing your way through open levels.

I will pretty much play this for the setting and weaponry. I couldnt get through BF3 and BF4's bro stories so I dropped them. I expect level design and gameplay to be just like that, but spruced up with incredible graphics and a different setting.

Hopefully there are some really good plane and horseback levels.

Watching it again, I think only the first three deaths 'need' to occur; the death at the house, the death in the church, and the death in the Mark V. After that I bet you could either clear out the Germans enough or move up on the position enough to trigger the cutscene of the soldier incapacitating you but then killed by the Artillery bombardment before delivering the killing blow.

Wow, this is all speculation of course, but has Battlefield ever won Game of the Year before?

I could see a case being made for Battlefield 2 winning it in 2005; unless San Andreas or Bully came out that year it's not a particularly strong one, closest competition would be like Call of Duty 2 off the top of my head.

Disxo

This is freaking amazing, I felt bad while watching the video.
I want to feel horrible after finishing the campaign.

hey gaf, I made a 3 min youtube illustration on battlefield 1. Hope yall like it, now I need to rest and have a drink lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb-ar5UIHOM
Nice I can never make something like that!
This is just the intro, folks. When that black screen kicks in right at the end, that's where the Battlefield 1 logo is supposed to pop. Is this how the whole single player is gonna pan out? You play one characters story until they (you) die then you move on to the next one? That would make for an awesome meta game, trying to stay alive as best as possible so you can view this characters whole story. It brings the threat of death right back into the fold.

Welp to me and many others, Battlefield series has always been MP. I cant think of a MP within the last few years that won GOTY. Of course its just what I am remembering as of now. I could be wrong.

DOWN

Banned
Honestly from a creative/art standpoint this is one of the most sophisticated shooters ever based on current footage. It's setting and motion look very evocative and strong.

hope you can toggle the hitmarkers off

i felt sick to my stomach watching. I also wanted to cry toward the end. War fucking sucks

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not sure if this footage is indicative of how the campaign actually plays out. I expect each chapter to be a bit more character focused rather than following this formula, but who knows. Maybe they're going for a different approach this time around.

I aimlessness is obviously intentional though. It's an opening level that essentially serves two purposes; tutorialise game systems and set the themes for the setting. The absence of locked objectives and any real sense of flow beyond absolute chaos seems to intentionally provide a bit of a playground to familiarise yourself with the core shooting, vehicle, and mounted weapon functions. All under the backdrop of the whole war-is-hell shtick cranked to 11.

Looks good.

Pusherman

Gameplay itself didn't seem like a lot of fun and I thought the presentation was pretty tasteless. I don't think a game known for fun over-the-top multiplayer mayhem is the proper medium for an examination of the horrors of war. I mean, names along with every death... and are those the names of actual people btw? And shell shocked guys walking around for you to gun down. Dice should try and make the single player reflect the realities of the multiplayer, not of actual warfare.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Gameplay itself didn't seem like a lot of fun and I thought the presentation was pretty tasteless. I don't think a game known for fun over-the-top multiplayer mayhem is the proper medium for an examination of the horrors of war. I mean, names along with every death... and are those the names of actual people btw? And shell shocked guys walking around for you to gun down. Dice should try and make the single player reflect the realities of the multiplayer, not of actual warfare.

What? So they shouldn't make a good single player with examination of horrors of war simply because they aren't known for it? That's a rather silly criteria for them to uphold.

Unless this a joke post? I'm 9 hours into a 13 hour shift so my radar may be off.

Pusherman

What? So they shouldn't make a good single player with examination of horrors of war simply because they aren't known for it? That's a rather silly criteria for them to uphold.

Unless this a joke post? I'm 9 hours into a 13 hour shift so my radar may be off.

Battlefield games are primarily multiplayer-focused and are all about providing large open maps and plenty of destructive tools so that a large number of players can have chaotic unpredictable fun. The game play, visuals and everything else in these games are all built around that core identity. Attaching a self-serious campaign about the horrors of war to what is in essence a silly multiplayer game seems like a bad idea. First of all, and most importantly, the game play in the video does look like fun. The lack of objectives, the lack of interesting level design, the sense of aimlessness followed by a scripted sequence in a tank... none of it seemed fun to play because actual WWI warfare doesn't make for fun game play. So fun is sacrificed to make a point. And yet, that point is still, despite the sacrifices, undermined by the game's mechanics. I mean, hitmarkers when you gun down a shell shocked soldier? Really? And do you honestly think it's a good idea to follow up me strafing around a flame-throwing enemy and getting blown up together with a dramatic goddamn epitaph?

This was a short 10 minute video so I'm not going to write off the entire single player campaign just yet. However, Dice's track record does not inspire me with a lot of confidence. Like I said, I wish they would keep their campaigns light and fun, like the BC games, because that better reflects what the games are actually known for. Plus, it would allow them to focus on what makes Battlefield great: big maps, a large assortment of destructive options and chaotic mayhem. Their attempts at more serious Battlefield campaigns have been utter failures and were pretty tasteless too, especially 3.

Auctopus

The gameplay put far more faith in DICE for me than that dismal cinematic trailer.

- The music wasn't triumphant Hollywood fodder either. For the majority of the gameplay, it was really grim and intimidating.

- The gameplay presentation was interesting, how you would respawn as other soldiers until an objective was met. Showed how brutal and endless the loss of life was. Doubt that's how the actual game will work as we're following characters.

Fractal

Banned
I must admit, I'm really impressed. For a high-budget "military" shooter, that looked very oppressive and atmospheric. Love this idea about switching characters as they die, hope it stays through the entire campaign in some capacity, seems interesting, and if they use it right, it could provide an unique twist to the genre. Still, I expect they'll quickly revert to a standard character focused story, but hey, at least we're getting a great intro. Reminds me of "Saving Private Ryan", where the opening scenes are easily the best and the most powerful part of the movie, doing the best job of portraying the chaos and brutality of an open conflict.

The visuals are great as well, some of the best I've ever seen... though I'm a little bothered by that blue lens flare when looking at the sun, it just doesn't fit the aesthetic they're going for. Not a big deal, but still, worth mentioning.

RoKKeR

Skimmed through a bit of the footage, really impressed with the atmosphere they've created. I'm more hopeful for this campaign than I was for BF3 or 4. I think the "War Stories" angles will help them created a handful of more focused and impactful stories rather than some big globe-trottng, summer-blockbuster fare like BF4.

haveheart

Banned
Respawning is such a great idea. Instead of being a invulnerable bullet-eating no-name, you get the feeling of being a human sent to war to die.

And as mentioned before, this really looks dark, almost unfun.

malcher

Is there any info how long the campaign is supposed to be? I looked and only found names of the missions, no mention of their length.

ThisOne

i cant believe this is xbox one gameplay? what happened to the resolution has it been confirmed at 1080p this time?

Just so you know, the video mentioned in the first post as "gameplay section" is almost certainly from PC and not from an Xbox.

Top Bottom