• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 singleplayer gameplay october 1st at 1PM PDT

Disxo

Shell shock

bf113s3v.gif
Wow, they nailed that, fuck...

SilentRob

Shell shock

bf113s3v.gif

You are mowing down shellshocked, poisoned people while wearing a gas mask. Watch this never being reflected in the story or the character's mental state.

I'll be incredibly impressed if this stuff will actually have any consequences for the story but for now I'm afraid of them trying to paint this purely in the light of an awesome entertainment blockbuster. And that would not work for me at all. You can either go for Call of Duty or full Spec Ops: The Line - but both at the sime time? Not so much.

You are mowing down shellshocked, poisoned people while wearing a gas mask. Watch this never being reflected in the story or the character's mental state.

I'll be incredibly impressed if this stuff will actually have any consequences for the story but for now I'm afraid of them trying to paint this purely in the light of an awesome entertainment blockbuster. And that would not work for me at all. You can either go for Call of Duty or full Spec Ops: The Line - but both at the sime time? Not so much.

The "person" who the player is controlling soon died after that, so their mental state is pretty poor.

Aside from the fact that that particular player controlled character died. The first few moments of the game pretty much show that the guy narrating this section isn't exactly okay. Just from what we've seen so far of the campaign and what DICE has said I don't think this will be as tone deaf as some of you are hoping it won't be.

Vidpixel

Did no one here watch the actual livestream? The prologue literally starts with a soldier having nightmares about the events transpiring in this level...

SilentRob

The "person" who the player is controlling soon died after that, so their mental state is pretty poor.

characters' instead of character's ;) We already know there will be actualy main characters in the story, that's what I'm talking about.

Aside from the fact that that particular player controlled character died. The first few moments of the game pretty much show that the guy narrating this section isn't exactly okay. Just from what we've seen so far of the campaign and what DICE has said I don't think this will be as tone deaf as some of you are hoping it won't be.

I saw that and that's fine but I am talking abou the actual focus of the story here. If you have nightmares on the one hand and a stereotypical hero's story on the other it could seem incredibly disconnected and half-assed. Obviously they have to deal with a disconnect form the get-go since they stage all the violence and suffering as spectacular setpieces, if possible in slow motion for you to really take it all in.

Again, I'll be really impressed if DICE can pull it off. But I don't think I'm completely crazy for being sceptical after over a decade of mainstream shooters glorifying (often real) wars into tales of glory, heroism and bathing in the spectacle of the violence and the utter trash that were the stories of Battlefield 3 & 4.

Alienous

Tonally they've figured out how to tackle WW1, I think.

It's very 'Medal of Honor'. Fucked up war, but characters you can empathize with.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

jediyoshi

You mean the game literally making the distinction between what the player is specifically doing and reflecting that? You don't think whatever character makes it out of their situation alive is going to be affected completely regardless? Have you played a video game before? What do you mechanically think what you're actually asking for looks like in the background? The different states of the DOOM guy in the HUD?

The graphics are fantastic and the story segments seem alright but the actual gameplay looks quite boring; a slogfest compared to the little we've seen of Titanfall 2 and COD IW.

SilentRob

You mean the game literally making the distinction between what the player is specifically doing and reflecting that? You don't think whatever character makes it out of their situation alive is going to be affected completely regardless? Have you played a video game before? What do you mechanically think what you're actually asking for looks like in the background? The different states of the DOOM guy in the HUD?

Yup, I have! Again: I have merely voiced my skepticism and I think past experiences give us more than enough reason for that. I don't think this weird harshness on your part is called for.

This gameplay part especially simply reminded me of a very specific scene in Spec Ops: The Line. That scene changed the characters forever and was an integral part of the story. It wasn't there just to be eye candy or for the shock factor. It was an integral part of the character development and the story they were going for. Here it almost happens in passing, with no consequences to the story since the character dies shortly afterwards, anyway.

It is very possible that my scepticism is entirely unfounded and Battlefield 1 will actually be about the horrors of WW1 and how any sense of glory or honor was instantly washed away the second you actually had to fight in this war. What I am afraid of is DICE trying to make an epic, awesome, entertaining mainstream blockbuster with cool action, relatable heroes and easily identifiable villians. Because that's what games like Call of Duty often do: They, too, portray the horrors of war and show that the character's suffer from it...but in the end it's rendered moot since it doesn't actually have much of an impact on the story and often even contradicts the stereotypical hero's journey these games go through.

thejpfin

Shell shock

bf113s3v.gif
When I first saw this scene, I thought the game glitched or something, cuz it looked like enemy animation just stopped for no reason.
Man, I was wrong. This sure is shell shock reaction. Pretty interesting.

It was a bit immersion breaking when the player melee sprinted towards enemy while bulletsponging bullets, but I doubt this is an issue if you play on the hardest difficulty.

Really nice gameplay. Bf3/Bf4 singleplayer campaigns were really bad, I hope this one is actually good.

Considering the last campaigns DICE created and how their marketing puffed them up, I don't think anyone has room to push back hard against skeptics here.

ActWan

Looks good (assuming it's not some pre-rendered bullshit).
If the multiplayer would've looked like this I might've bought the game.

What do people see in this?

The gameplay just looks like any standard military shooter. This one looks to be about five years late to the party.

Also, what is up with the cheesy as fuck narration over the cutscenes? It sounds like a military recruitment video, not some emotional tale of suffering. That stuff seems tonally out of wack with the game itself as well.

DevilDog

Considering the last campaigns DICE created and how their marketing puffed them up, I don't think anyone has room to push back hard against skeptics here.

Battlefield 3 campaign reveal was absolutely nuts, yet the campaign was one of the worst I've ever played in my life.

The gameplay just looks like any standard military shooter. This one looks to be about five years late to the party.

Also, what is up with the cheesy as fuck narration over the cutscenes? It sounds like a military recruitment video, not some emotional tale of suffering. That stuff seems tonally out of wack with the game itself as well.

Sounds like a historian is giving context.

Izayoi

Banned
Technically speaking, I think that this is the best looking videogame of all time.

Battlefield campaigns are all about the eye candy for me, this is perfect.

Battlefield 3 campaign reveal was absolutely nuts, yet the campaign was one of the worst I've ever played in my life.

Sounds like a historian is giving context.

No it doesn't. It's just a bunch of meaningless dialogue that could be applied to any US military recruitment video.

"The world is the war, and the war is the world."

"We are the knights in the sky, the ghosts in the desert, and the rats in the mud"

"We are the bound to legend, and lost to history"

It's almost like they're applying this stuff to the trailers to hide any bad writing they may have cooked up for BF1.

It was cheesy, but that's not something you'd really find in a US military recruitment video, especially some of the other stuff you left out. I agree with your ultimate point, though.

Even so, you could probably apply that dialogue to any game with war in it, and it wouldn't feel out of place. If I never heard of Battlefield 1, and I saw this video, I would probably think it was a new Medal of Honor game or something.

Giganteus

No it doesn't. It's just a bunch of meaningless dialogue that could be applied to an US military recruitment video.

"We are the knights in the sky, the ghosts in the desert, and the rats in the mud"

It was cheesy, but that's not something you'd really find in a US military recruitment video, especially some of the other stuff you left out. I agree with your ultimate point, though.

Even so, you could probably apply that dialogue to any game with war in it, and it wouldn't feel out of place. If I never heard of Battlefield 1, and I saw this video, I would probably think it was a new Medal of Honor game or something.
Agreed.

Like I've said in the past, I expect nothing but mediocrity from the campaign, just like the other previous ones. The campaign is mainly for trailers. I'm actually a little pleasantly surprised that the beginning of the game has a more serious tone than I was expecting.

Frankly I'm willing to give BF1 the benefit of the doubt with the encounter design here; that the tedious, mindless, and futile human wave tactics of the Germans is kind of the point of showing how fucked up WWI battles could be.

I also like how anti-climactic the tanker's death is, just shelled out of nowhere.

Also I know it's a little cheesy, but I loved the "60 Million Soldiers served in 'The War To End All Wars'. It ended Nothing."

5 years behind? What the hell kind of shooters do you play? cause Battlefield has some of the best gunplay out of them all. The weapons are so satisfying to shoot due to the meaty hit reg and bombastic sound design, not to mention just how incredible it all looks in motion, headshots in the beta were the most satisfying I've ever experienced in a game, topping only counterstrike. The sound of the bullet slapping their helmet is so satisfying.

I think the tone is appropriate, it's treading a line but it's being respectful about it's subject matter. It's not out tonally out of wack from what we've seen of the gameplay, modern warfare 2 style/micheal bay jingoistic hoo-rah propaganda bullshit this is not. "Behind every gunsight is a human being" is definitely more respectful than the "KILL EVERY LAST ONE OF THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS!" that you get in most modern shooters.

Intro set a nice tone, incredible graphics, and then...hitmarkers.

They should have turned off the hud. Pulled me out of the mood they set instantly.

DevilDog

No it doesn't. It's just a bunch of meaningless dialogue that could be applied to any US military recruitment video.

It's almost like they're applying this stuff to the trailers to hide any bad writing they may have cooked up for BF1.

Yeah you're right.

Also If BF1 is anywhere as good as this...

I dunno, there's no reason why a video game can't do an anthology story where each arc is only 90-120 minutes long.

Not for a shooter

More than half of that time will be spent on just gameplay with very little narrative being delivered to the player. I mean, we just saw a 12 minute gameplay clip from the campaign, and barely any of it was dedicated to progressing a plot or developing characters.

Not for a shooter

More than half of that time will be spent on just gameplay with very little narrative being delivered to the player. I mean, we just saw a 12 minute gameplay clip from the campaign, and barely any of it was dedicated to progressing a plot or developing characters.

Because the point of this piece was purely thematic and aesthetic. It wasn't meant to progress a plot or develop characters.

It was meant for a trailer. And knowing DICE this is all its ever going to be.

Eh, I know there's some 'we won't be fooled again' sentiment with how underwhelming 3/4/Hardline's Campaigns were, but I'm willing to give them the benefit because they really did nail both of the Bad Company campaigns.

Obviously this is not a great slice from a 'this is representative of the story' standpoint, but I think it speaks to the ambition they have in contextualizing the action.

I just watched over half of the footage and decided to not see the rest. Damn, that looks absolutely visceral. And the graphics are insane.

Tovarisc

Intro set a nice tone, incredible graphics, and then...hitmarkers.

They should have turned off the hud. Pulled me out of the mood they set instantly.

If they allow as extensive HUD customization for SP as they do for MP then you can really tone down HUD elements, full immersion.

That was surprisingly tasteful, I mean, as much as possible for the fact that it's Battlefield and obviously entertainment. Really liked the way they did this, smart execution.

looks incredibly boring
My thoughts exactly. I'll wait for reviews and if they confirm my suspicions, I'll wait for a steep discount. After the terrible multiplayer beta, my hype for this game drastically reduced and now this "campaign" gameplay is killing any hype I had left. It's still the same stupid whack a mole ai from the joke that was the bf3 and 4 campaign.

lekink

Neo Member
I was never thrilled by BF sp before than this. Really looking forward to playing the missions first than the multiplayer.

Top Bottom