• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 singleplayer gameplay october 1st at 1PM PDT

Keasar

How'd you take that as a "fuck the other side" view?

I'd say that was a bit of a knee jerk reaction, but here is the thing I've seen so far. During the presentation before showing the clips they talked about the different war stories and he started to name them off, none of them were anything about the Central Powers. Then they showed the prologue clip and he specifically said it was called "Storm of Steel". Storm of Steel was mentioned in the other thread earlier where it had been talked about and the name is actually from the title of a memoir written by a German soldier named Ernst Jünger (In Stahlgewittern) and was one of the first accounts to tell the story of the horrible trench warfare. Through that name people assumed that there was gonna be at least one character from the Central Powers that was playable. As it stands now though after watching this presentation, they pulled that name for the prologue cause "look tons of bullets flying around" and not more than that.

https://youtu.be/CYlD-SSHF4s?t=12m2s
This here being the montage I mentioned.

Please tell me how that blows.

It's cool for one level but you're telling me it would be fun to have 0 challenge because you have infinite respawns, and zero character development because everyone is expendable, FOR THE ENTIRE GAME?
Well jeez I didn't say the entire game. But even so, it's possible to create challenge with infinite respawns... it could just get very difficult in the later missions so you die more, OR it's just a lot harder to move forward.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Well jeez I didn't say the entire game. But even so, it's possible to create challenge with infinite respawns... it could just get very difficult in the later missions so you die more, OR it's just a lot harder to move forward.
It'd get old incredibly quick for EVERY death to slow the entire game down to slow motion and switch to another perspective. It wouldn't even be that innovative and would be criticized as gimmicky.

bounchfx

agreed, of course it is. see: hotline miami, superhot, hotman x

Love the premise to the opening , and actually wish I could have higher expectations for the anthology of stories that makes up the wider campaign, but there really wasn't any "gameplay" on offer for those save for a single opening cinematic.

For a 30 minute singleplayer gameplay reveal, we really only got a few minutes of a very strictly controlled scenario. Its like selling Halo Reach based only upon the ending scene.

Still cautiously pessimistic, and still have no idea whether BF1's campaign breaks the mold of BF3 and BF4's disappointments.

It'd get old incredibly quick for EVERY death to slow the entire game down to slow motion and switch to another perspective. It wouldn't even be that innovative and would be criticized as gimmicky.
I think it would be innovative. I also agree though, because I don't think DICE has the chops to design a campaign with gameplay like that. Few probably do though. I don't think it's so bad that I want a war game to be a war game for once...

How is that any different than the current death/checkpoint system? I'd even go as far as calling this system more respectful to a players time.

Sou Da

agreed, of course it is. see: hotline miama, superhot, hotman x

That isn't the same thing at all, also all of those games use small enclosed spaces.

HM and superhot are more of the equivalent of restarting the level without a checkpoint within, that's not what could happen with the mechanic in Storm of Steel.

Vidpixel

They had that clip from the trailer of the two soldiers aiming at each other then lowering their weapons, but then they had a montage of the "War Stories" and all of them were from the Allied Entente forces point of view. Nothing indicated that this is gonna be a two sided story.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that it's a missed opportunity to not have one these "stories" take place in the perspective of the Central Powers, but given the footage we've seen of the campaign, I wouldn't say Dice is treating the opposition in the way that you were describing.

That isn't the same thing at all, also all of those games use small enclosed spaces.

HM and superhot are more of the equivalent of restarting the level without a checkpoint within, that's not what could happen with the mechanic in Storm of Steel.
You are suggesting it can't be done only because you haven't seen an example though. You may think it's not the same, and you'd be right. It would be way harder to do, but I don't agree that it's impossible.

Crossing Eden

I think it would be innovative. I also agree though, because I don't think DICE has the chops to design a campaign with gameplay like that. Few probably do though. I don't think it's so bad that I want a war game to be a war game for once...
I mean no dev does as it'd be incredibly expensive from a design standpoint, (hello, we're talking at least two hours of cinematics already). Let the hype of what is an innovative intro die down before saying "the WHOLE GAME should be like this." It'd be like saying all of the TLOU should've involved Joel literally carrying a teenager.

This is cool in concept but I've always really disliked these kinds of unwinnable scenarios in videogames, particularly early in the campaign. What's to stop the player from intentionally getting themselves killed to speed this whole thing up? Where's the drive to actually kill any enemies or attempt forward progress beyond keeping up the facade? It works in, say, Halo: Reach because that was a really interesting high in the campaign and came all the way at the end, but here? Ehh.

Sou Da

You are suggesting it can't be done only because you haven't seen an example though. You may think it's not the same, and you'd be right. It would be way harder to do, but I don't agree that it's impossible.

I don't think it's impossible I just don't think any less of the campaign for trying to do more of a character driven story.

I know you want and I also know that it would pretty much be seen as the equivalent of bot match multiplayer, which probably wouldn't be looked at so well for a 60 dollar title.

This is cool in concept but I've always really disliked these kinds of unwinnable scenarios in videogames, particularly early in the campaign. What's to stop the player from intentionally getting themselves killed to speed this whole thing up? Where's the drive to actually kill any enemies or make attempt forward progress beyond keeping up the facade? It works in, say, Halo: Reach because that was a really interesting high in the campaign and came all the way at the end, but here? Ehh.
I'd guess it just swaps you through characters continuously until the preprogrammed auto-death is triggered. So I'd be surprised if you could somehow speed it up by dying quickly. Gotta let the script play out.

Sou Da

This is cool in concept but I've always really disliked these kinds of unwinnable scenarios in videogames, particularly early in the campaign. What's to stop the player from intentionally getting themselves killed to speed this whole thing up? Where's the drive to actually kill any enemies or attempt forward progress beyond keeping up the facade? It works in, say, Halo: Reach because that was a really interesting high in the campaign and came all the way at the end, but here? Ehh.

It's scripted to a degree, they are clearly certain markers for progression. You can tell because some deaths don't get the voiceovers and they keep you within the same scenario.

EDIT: I don't think it's time based like the poster above does though.

Newlove

That Storm of Steel video on Xfactor's channel there was very impressive. The music as it got more and more intense...awesome. I assume that isn't a full 'story' as it was rather short, and more a prologue to the stories based on how it ends.

Theorry

It looked great tho. 4k is gonna be insane.

EnragedSoupyAnnelida-size_restricted.gif

They had that clip from the trailer of the two soldiers aiming at each other then lowering their weapons, but then they had a montage of the "War Stories" and all of them were from the Allied Entente forces point of view. Nothing indicated that this is gonna be a two sided story.
That's not quite "fuck those Nazi bastards," but yeah that's no focus on the Central Powers is disappointing. Have we even seen a hint of someone like the French?

I'd guess it just swaps you through characters continuously until the preprogrammed auto-death is triggered. So I'd be surprised if you could somehow speed it up by dying quickly. Gotta let the script play out.

Ughhhhhhhh, I hope this isn't the case.

It's scripted to a degree, they are clearly certain markers for progression. You can tell because some deaths don't get the voiceovers and they keep you within the same scenario.

EDIT: I don't think it's time based like the poster above does though.

They could just as easily have those scripted deaths trigger from outside the field of view after a certain amount of time, but yeah I do hope it's based on pushing forward to a "tripwire" rather than time.

I mean no dev does as it'd be incredibly expensive from a design standpoint, (hello, we're talking at least two hours of cinematics already). Let the hype of what is an innovative intro die down before saying "the WHOLE GAME should be like this." It'd be like saying all of the TLOU should've involved Joel literally carrying a teenager.

Yes, who needs ambition when we can have the same second rate movie analog storytelling, interspersed with linear shooting galleries and regenerating health?

Not that I would expect Dice to be able to pull anything else off though.

Alienous

I was wondering when Battlefield single-player would have that player jump between soldiers during a mission. Battlefield 2: Modern Combat did that, I think.

So the cutscenes aren't real-time... disappointing. It's gonna suck playing on PC at 4K 60fps then going to bad quality low res videos for cutscenes...

Crossing Eden

Yes, who needs ambition when we can have the same second rate movie analog storytelling, interspersed with linear shooting galleries and regenerating health?

Not that I would expect Dice to be able to pull anything else off though.
That would be more expensive but not anymore ambitious than creating an intro to a campaign that takes place from multiple perspectives. You're being really irrational.

Keasar

That's not quite "fuck those Nazi bastards," but yeah that's no focus on the Central Powers is disappointing. Have we even seen a hint of someone like the French?

That we actually did.

The soldiers running around in the Prologue missions spoke French, the helmet the black guy was wearing is French (most black soldiers from America were picked up by the less racist French forces since white Americans didn't want to fight with them).

WillyFive

The concept is really high-brow for what DICE has been doing thus far with single player campaigns, but as soon as the game switched to gameplay it was the same bland shooting gallery style mechanics from the BF3 and BF4 campaign.

Why can't we get single player Battlefield instead?

Stiler

There is a mission where you play as a German. We don't know much about it yet though.

No there isn't, sadly.

Everyone assumed it was the "Storm of Steel" mission, however they showed that today in the stream and it's a prologue to the game that has you in the tank and what not, not playing as a German.

They said there are five people, and we already know them all.

The flyboys, the tank driver, the Italian alps guys, the woman who's the right hand of Lawrence of Arabia, and the Anzac runners.

None of them are from the central powers.

REally disappointing that they decided to go for a one-sided story, especially since they are doing multiple protags, it makes little sense why they couldn't do a German/Austria-Hungary character or something.

That we actually did.

The soldiers running around in the Prologue missions spoke French, the helmet the black guy was wearing is French (most black soldiers from America were picked up by the less racist French forces since white Americans didn't want to fight with them).
Hallelujah.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The concept is really high-brow for what DICE has been doing thus far with single player campaigns, but as soon as the game switched to gameplay it was the same bland shooting gallery style mechanics from the BF3 and BF4 campaign.

Why can't we get single player Battlefield instead?

Because BF is a multiplayer oriented series.

Ok, i was already fine with them treating this war with levity in benefit of the gameplay, but this name stuff? For real? This game better not back out of all its attempts to capitulate on the themes of worthless death and suffering. You don't get to show those things and then make a game about having fun shooting people.

N7.Angel

The respawn mechanic where the current character dies and their name and birth/death shows up is pretty neat. This looks a lot more hectic than most recent shooters.

I like that too, very good idea but everything else looks very generic, it's a blockbuster shooter alright and I'm pretty tired of them, I'm much more Overwatch/Doom type of shooter now, fun and ridiculous.

VariantX

I was rather impressed with that intro level. Felt hopeless as you lost sight of who was wearing what army's uniform and all you could mostly see is bodies piling up everywhere. I'm hoping DICE can really succeed and produce a decent SP campaign at least mechanically.

Top Bottom