• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda has an embargo on announcing the FO4 review embargo, are you kidding me

Patryn

The last episode of the Giant Beastcast had a discussion on this happening in general. This isn't the first time.

Regardless the embargo on actual reviews is still before the game releases so this is a storm in a teacup.

amnesiac

I mean I'm pretty sure none of the big gaming sites are going to heavily criticize this game so I don't see the embargo embargo as a sign that the game might be bad or anything. It's going to get 85-95s across the board, regardless if it deserves those scores.

It's worth noting most Bethesda games have had a Monday before release embargo. Skyrim, Oblivion, etc. Unrelated from this silliness, but this is directed more towards people worried they're trying to hide something.

Of course you might have not liked either of those games, but that doesn't change that the embargo was the day before release and they were well reviewed.

Grief.exe

What's wrong with buying a Bethesda game day one? Many people like their games and are excited for it. This is no different.

Yeah why would I buy day one after so many times buying their games at launch and loving them? How dare I buy from a company had provided me more than a thousand hours of gaming enjoyment.

These are emotional arguments, rather than objective.

Bethesda launched a completely broken Skyrim on PS3 which was never fixed as well as consistent left over Gamebryo issues on their PC launches.

Didn't Kutako basically brake the embargo by publishing the date of when the reviews are going to be published? or does the date not apply to them?
The context seems as long as they do not say when they are posting the review, everything is fine. I heard the 11/9/15 embargo two days ago, so they are not first.

Yeah why would I buy day one after so many times buying their games at launch and loving them? How dare I buy from a company had provided me more than a thousand hours of gaming enjoyment.

All of the bugs and issues exist but people love to make a big deal out of them like they weren't able to enjoy the game because an enemy fell into the ground or an npc got stuck walking into a wall.

I guess I grew up with janky early 3d games and I'm not very affected by it.

Ascenion

Kotaku didn't get this email, hmm..... What did you guys do to piss off Bethesda to the point they didn't send you a review copy? (Which is what seems to be implied here.)

Broken or glitchy? These are different. No Bethesda game for me has been broken.

Skyrim on the PS3, Fallout on the PS3. All broken. No one on here cares, though. Bethesda could launch babies into the sun and people on here would be all "derp de derp no one does what they do derp de derp".

Justinh

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've heard of this happening before in one of Totalbiscuit's vlogs or streams or something.
In fact, I'm pretty sure I've heard Mr. Bloodworth talking about this in an old Invisible Walls before.

Like...when you couldn't disclose anything about the embargo or when a review would go up at all.

Trace

Banned
Didn't Kutako basically brake the embargo by publishing the date of when the reviews are going to be published? or does the date not apply to them?

Kotaku wasn't part of the embargo, they were informed by someone who was. So whoever sent it to them technically broke embargo, but Kotaku did not.

lol Kutako

They know their game is piss poor.

You really can't handle seeing a Fallout 4 thread and not shitting in it can you? Fallout 3 and Skyrim both had review embargos on the Monday before, it doesn't signify anything wrong with the game.

Bethesda launched a completely broken Skyrim on PS3 which was never fixed as well as consistent left over Gamebryo issues on their PC launches.

That ps3 skyrim issue existed in fallout 3 and oblivion as well. I would grant you that you should be cautious about the ps3 version of fallout 4, were it to exist.

What I'm saying is that was a ps3 issue with that engine. The 360 versions of all last gen Bethesda games worked fine with minor open world jank.

RPGam3r

I didn't buy any Bethesda game for PS3. So what you say is factual but of no interest or impact to me. Yet again why would I not buy day one? They've done no wrong to me, in fact they've only done great.

cyba89

Can't wait til tomorrow when the embargo ends so that gaming sites can finally tell us when the embargo ends.

NIN90

Must be the same reason they didn't show much of the game until few days ago.

I simply I don't get what would be the reason to withhold the date for the embargo from a business perspective. Like, are they afraid preorder numbers would drop if the embargo date is announced early?

I just shake my head more at the reactions in this thread than the "embargo". Some people need to relax and take a chill pill.

Skyrim on the PS3, Fallout on the PS3. All broken. No one on here cares, though. Bethesda could launch babies into the sun and people on here would be all "derp de derp no one does what they do derp de derp".

Nobody cares now because the ps3 is not an issue for them any longer. There is zero reason to think those ps3 engine issues would carry over to pc/ps4/xb1 for fallout 4.

To try to act like you think it will carry over is either ignorant or just trying to be inflammatory.

Grief.exe

Nobody cares now because the ps3 is not an issue for them any longer. There is zero reason to think those ps3 engine issues would carry over to pc/ps4/xb1 for fallout 4.

Do try to act like you think it will carry over is either ignorant or just trying to be inflammatory.

You mean to say a publicly traded company that puts profits ahead of the consumer won't do that again?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I understand review embargos sure. But why one for just telling when a review will go up? Why? What's the point?

My only guess is that they feel sites try to circumvent the review embargo by running major preview coverage to get clicks, which may spoil too much of the game and dilute the impact of the chorus of reviews all releasing at once since people will already have a large amount of previews to satiate their information desires.

Social media is king these days, getting a huge blowout of info at once is what you want.

This isn't a small game with low mass appeal or recognition. They'll get a lot of coverage no matter what so best to focus it into one big bang than attempt to build it up over time and run the risk of getting over shadowed by something else.

Patryn

I simply I don't get what would be the reason to withhold the date for the embargo from a business perspective. Just why?

PR likes to control the information flow. They want the pop of sites announcing on Friday that reviews will hit Monday.

While I've never done it, I do believe Bethesda games are best served a year after release with the GotY releases, most bugs squashed & add-on DLC included.
I've double dipped a couple times with GotY versions - Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout3.

That ps3 skyrim issue existed in fallout 3 and oblivion as well. I would grant you that you should be cautious about the ps3 version of fallout 4, were it to exist.

What I'm saying is that was a ps3 issue with that engine. The 360 versions of all last gen Bethesda games worked fine with minor open world jank.

It wasn't a PS3 issue, it was Bethesda issue with not properly optimizing their shitty, broken engine for use on a whole other console and telling that user base to go fuck themselves by releasing a bunch of bullshit patches, having the gall to tell them that it fixed the issues and get some good PR (it didn't fix shit).

To try to act like you think it will carry over is either ignorant or just trying to be inflammatory.

The point is that this is a company that has a long history of lying, shipping unfinished, buggy or straight up broken products, expecting the community to fix it with mods and then lapping in riches because "no one else does what they do".

You choose to support that company. I do not.

bumclot

I've seen PLENTY of people, most recently in the Fallout 4 threads but also in pretty much any Bethsoft thread, heap plenty of criticism on the Bethsoft for releasing broken games, among other things.

There are the apologists, sure, but to say "No one on here cares, though" is ridiculous. It gets so old seeing the thisisneogaf.gifs and generalizations of users on here. C'mon.

Kadin

Is there no embargo on this letter about the embargo on the review embargo?
We really need to go deeper.

On a different note, has history shown us anything consistently with regards to reviews being embargoed right up until the last day? Are there any stellar games (rated very highly) that had embargoes like this?

Ascenion

There is your answer. I appreciate the reviewer emailing the picture because it amuses me.

They are still pissed over that? Jeez that's a hell of a thing to hold a grudge over since that leak was 2 years ago almost and they were just doing their jobs technically. Let it go Bethesda.

Lingitiz

We really need to go deeper.

On a different note, has history shown us anything consistently with regards to reviews being embargoed right up until the last day? Are there any stellar games (rated very highly) that had embargoes like this?
Plenty. It means nothing other than there's late patches or functionality, or merely just giving reviewers enough time.

Top Bottom