• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

If this is the handheld, which it very well could be I'm sad about it not being clamshell but at the same time fuck it the freeform display looks cool as fuck.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not sure if this has been posted yet but the image on the screen is from about 6 seconds into this tech demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=LMcscM_Hogc

Edit:
4tXwXqP.jpg

Wow. Nice detective work here. If this thing is pulling 62 FPS for a UE4 demo, that speaks well for the system's power.

Luigiv

Ideally, Nintendo would be using something like this, but it's probably a few years away and *very* expensive!

haptic_STILL.jpg

It's also pretty limited (the size shape and location of the buttons are predetermined, you can't actually change the layout) and appears to leave stretch mark across the screen when the buttons depress. No thanks.

Ideally you'd want something like this. Real, physical buttons with touch for supplementary functions. Maybe you wouldn't need the entire ABXY diamond layout (that wouldn't much room for touch targets out on the periphery) but physical A & B are a must (though without X and Y, don't expect any fighting games, outside of smash and maybe some smartphone style garbage).

QHSPzFH.gif

However even something like this does not have me sold. Why? Because of the Vita of all things. It's way too easy to accidentally hit touch targets on the thing when using the sticks and it has a good 5-6mm of space between them and the screen. Imagine what will happen if the screen actually surrounds the buttons and the touch targets are right next to them. Either the developers need to come up with some clever programming to accurately ignore accidental touches (may or may not be viable, depending on the game) or the touch targets need to be further away from the inputs to the point where the whole freeform display thing pretty much goes to waste.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but the image on the screen is from about 6 seconds into this tech demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=LMcscM_Hogc

And just when I was starting to think it real, I am unsure again. If I were making a fake, this is exactly what I would do. Use a non-descript scene from an obscure Unreal Engine 4 demo video and hope no one traces it. What are the odds that the company in question would have that running on their dev kit?

Edit to the last sentence: As opposed to their own game/software. Unless they really JUST got the dev kit.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's not really a gimmick. It's maximizing the screen space on a small and ergonomic form factor. There might be fewer buttons than one would like but that's hardly a gimmick.

Maximizing screen space - underneath/around your thumb, palm and fingers.

It makes no sense at all.
Developers would have to create every single game with either a dummy art border around the actual playscreen or go with a huge ultrawide FOV and make sure the outside edges are completely non-essential because otherwise your fingers could be blocking the content. How does it honestly add anything? Putting HUD elements there would equally be annoying as it's outside of the central view and periodically obscured by your hands.

Sounds to me that Nintendo just grabs one idea and just runs with it all the way to the end without ever stopping to go 'why'. The Wii-U is a splendid example. Brimming with potential but completely underutilized in practice.

yoonshik

Right, one thing about this concept is that you could in theory make the buttons anything you wanted them to be, and as many as you want.

You could also opt to just have a regular rectangular screen in the middle with black around the edges outside of the buttons.
Yep.

y8b3Lf8.png

Yup, my guess is most games won't use the whole screen, but rather have UI elements around the joysticks.

That's the only way it wouldn't be horrible. The sticks going out of a continuous image like in this example are just awful and distracting. Then again, it seems way worse than just having physical buttons. The entire concept is flawed imo.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm going to post a long, well-detailed post later, but still, since Rosti hex'd us...well, how well did that tech demo run on PS4 back then? I mean, we have that small number "62" on top, which should be the fps.

That looks stupid (If real or close to the real design). Innovation vs comfortability of playing Nintendo games for the next 6 years. Looks like I'm Day 1 for the NX pro Controller.

I thought the market very clearly rejected a controller with a screen on it.

I think we need to ease into the market to let people get used to the idea. Gamepad leapt when it should've walked. Hopefully ten years from now it becomes more acceptable.

georly

Easy, if you want to do a lazy port, render only to a rectangle in the middle, put a frame with some ui elements on the sides, or just black(cinematic) borders

I assume you still have to swap your UI around and have it display virtual buttons (all of which I assume there will be tools for in the devkit). You could be right, though. To get a 'proper' port on it will require a bit of work, i'd imagine.

Maximizing screen space - underneath/around your thumb, palm and fingers.

It makes no sense at all.
Developers would have to create every single game with either a dummy art border around the actual playscreen or go with a huge ultrawide FOV and make sure the outside edges are completely non-essential because otherwise your fingers could be blocking the content. How does it honestly add anything? Putting HUD elements there would equally be annoying as it's outside of the central view and periodically obscured by your hands.

Sounds to me that Nintendo just grabs one idea and just runs with it all the way to the end without ever stopping to go 'why'. The Wii-U is a splendid example. Brimming with potential but completely underutilized in practice.

Why would they be overlaying the GAME where your fingers will be? No, games will be cropped into the center and the outside will be for HUD elements/additional touch buttons, etc.

Boogdud

Right, one thing about this concept is that you could in theory make the buttons anything you wanted them to be, and as many as you want.

You could also opt to just have a regular rectangular screen in the middle with black around the edges outside of the buttons.

You could also change the edges and button areas with themes ala 3ds interface. IE) make your handheld/console your own. Which is a rad idea.

... But not having physical buttons kills this thing dead.

It's going to be hilarious if this thing is real and seeing some of the people who were so sure it was fake because of how dumb it looked do a 180 and try and talk themselves into it.

It's happening already. It's like people woke up hungover with a hideous person lying next to them in bed and are desperately trying to find any positivity in the situation.

Well, maybe I can love her cankles.......

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm going to post a long, well-detailed post later, but still, since Rosti hex'd us...well, how well did that tech demo run on PS4 back then? I mean, we have that small number "62" on top, which should be the fps.
This was only ever a mobile tech demo.

The PS4 one was based on Elemental.

kankki

Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe
But that tech demo video seems to be running on a Snapdragon phone processor? So maybe not very impressive after all?

Or is there multiple versions of the demo?

Schnozberry

Honestly the weird screen and shape does not bother me nearly as much as no physical buttons. Fuck that. Haptic buttons aren't the same.

If this is real, then Nintendo's really going to have to sell me on why this is a good idea.

You can differentiate buttons by feel with good haptics, plus it allows developers to customize controls based on what makes sense in the context of the game. It's certainly more adaptable than trying to cram more and more features onto four face buttons, or getting into complex control schemes with analog stick gestures. You can customize the number of buttons, the layout, and have different feedback settings for different actions. It's certainly not all bad.

I guess maybe I'm the opposite of y'all but the fact that what is shown on the screen can be found in a video online takes away credence from this leak, not lends to it.

BahamutPT

It's also pretty limited (the size shape and location of the buttons are predetermined, you can't actually change the layout) and appears to leave stretch mark across the screen when the buttons depress. No thanks.

Ideally you'd want something like this. Real, physical buttons with touch for supplementary functions. Maybe you wouldn't need the entire ABXY diamond layout (that wouldn't much room for touch targets out on the periphery) but physical A & B are a must (though without X and Y, don't expect any fighting games, outside of smash and maybe some smartphone style garbage).

QHSPzFH.gif

However even something like this does not have me sold. Why? Because of the Vita of all things. It's way too easy to accidentally hit touch targets on the thing when using the sticks and it has a good 5-6mm of space between them and the screen. Imagine what will happen if the screen actually surrounds the buttons and the touch targets are right next to them. Either the developers need to come up with some clever programming to accurately ignore accidental touches (may or may not be viable, depending on the game) or the touch targets need to be further away from the inputs to the point where the whole freeform display thing pretty much goes to waste.

Oh, I know. It was just a possibility in a few years after the technology was more refined.
But it shouldn't be too hard to actually define the coordinates where you wanted the screen to be raised. Just "copy" the ones used to draw the buttons. So I don't think it would be limited to a specific layout.

As for the unintended touches, check my post quoting Nintendo's patent after the user Graphics Horse pointed out to me they had something about that in there. They seem to ignore accidental touches/inputs in clearly defined areas depending on how the analog stick is being moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom