• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogdud

I am not going to argue about physical buttons verses touch display buttons with haptics. To me haptics are the future of innovation. A place between touch screen and and an actual button. This will work wonders on the NX as well as mobil, PC, and VR. I have tried haptic feedback on the Steam Controller and I love it. As an example, I played various 2D platformers with the right trackpad. With haptic feedback set on high I was able to get used to it in about a week. I set it up like an oldschool d-pad and now it feels great to me. I have the feedback on medium now and can even play it well on low, but I quite like the sensation the feedback gives me so I am comfortable with it on medium.

To me, haptics are nothing more than a half measure compromise. 'The future of innovation'? Innovation doesn't typically come from making an existing solution less practical.

We use controllers with our hands. Our hands rely on touch. Having a virtual button on a flat surface that buzzes when you hit it with no other reference than vision to see if you're in the correct position is anything but innovation. It's a compromise for a physical button at best and a cumbersome gimmick at worst.

Link_enfant

I'm getting smash bros leak flashbacks.

My thoughts exactly

I can't even decide if it looks good or not, if its nice regarding ergonomics and it's fake or not

So it's a pretty cool thread to follow, whether it ends being fake or real I always love those moments of discussion

orioto

Good Art™
I'm assuming this *IS* the portable. Would be really dumb to be wii u 2 with what seems like a worse (and waaaaaaay more expensive) gamepad. NX would be 400-500+ at launch.

Well, if it's the portable, there is no way it has this shape. Cause that design could easily have rounder (not oval) sides and then it would actually fit into a pocket (also would be better for hands).

Now if it's a console pad, then yeah it would obviously be for ui.
But my idea is that they'll stick with 2 screens for the portable. That means if they have a compatibility with the home console, it'll have to have some sort of 2nd screen to. It has to.

But anyway that thing is fake as hell lol.

EhoaVash

I remember the free form display thread a while back, lots of interesting ideas from that thread lol like someone needs to shop this gif to this new controller

InfamousGratefulHowlermonkey.gif

and i hope heptic feedback stuff is more visable like this too
freeform_zpsrca9zxsn.jpg

Yes, the controller is the mobile device. Which with the right equipment could clip into a headset ala Samsung Gear.

I could see that.

The only relevant pieces of information needed to predict what the NX is are the statements from Iwata and what he considers were the reasons for the failiure.

leading a software-only business would only put us at a big disadvantage, which is another reason why we insist on our integrated hardware-software model

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/satoru_iwata_outlines_belief_that_continuing_with_hardware_and_software_will_amplify_nintendos_strengths

That's definitely a Japan-centric view.

What if is both?

Needlessly expensive.

I'm curious, what about this makes you more interested in it than when you learned about the Wii U?

Mostly just the possibility of developer customization inputs around the joysticks instead of being required to only use the usual 4 face buttons.

The Wii U is technically capable of that too with the touch screen, but being resistive, not having any kind of haptic feedback (not that the NX is confirmed to have it or anything), and not being a quick thumb movement away from the sticks limits the Wii U's potential in terms of additional main inputs. The scrolling triggers could also be an interesting new input method for it as well.

And if the other rumors about it being a separate portable system are true, I'd definitely prefer that over having to be within a few meters of the Wii U console for it to work. I'd much prefer to be able to take it anywhere I want than to be tethered (my Wii U is located slightly too far away for it to be used in other rooms of my house).

Not saying I love this thing from what I've seen, and I do hope it ends up being fake, but it at least seems more interesting than Nintendo simply shifting the DS and 3DS's main feature to a console (and because the controller is further away from the TV, it's not as useful as the bottom screen on the DS).

georly

Everyone with their pitchforks so fast. Sheesh. He could have been joking, yet everyone assumes it's an insider leaker confirming it's real and then someone supposes that it's possible it's just a photoshopped screen from youtube and everyone grabs their torches and is ready to get rosti banned or something.

Then why post in the first place?

Humor. To rile the bees nest. To admit he knows something and it's real. Bunch of reasons he could have posted.

No need to get riled up about it. He made one post, everyone freaked out about it. No need to persecute him.

Well, if it's the portable, there is no way it has this shape. Cause that design could easily have rounder (not oval) sides and then it would actually fit into a pocket (also would be better for hands).

Now if it's a console pad, then yeah it would obviously be for ui.
But my idea is that they'll stick with 2 screens for the portable. That means if they have a compatibility with the home console, it'll have to have some sort of 2nd screen to. It has to.

But anyway that thing is fake as hell lol.

I would be OK with it if you see the inventory and other things while you see the game itself on your TV. All this handheld stuff doesn't make sense anyway with how well the 3DS is doing.

I remember the free form display thread a while back, lots of interesting ideas from that thread lol like someone needs to shop this gif to this new controller

freeform_zpsrca9zxsn.jpg

An important question nobody that I've seen try to answer is why Nintendo would do this. It is more screen, real estate that isn't really useful functionally, and also a screen that is more specialized than a regular rectangular screen. It drives up the costs, probably a decent bit. And what does it add? What's the purpose other than being different?

Galava

Everyone with their pitchforks so fast. Sheesh. He could have been joking, yet everyone assumes it's an insider leaker confirming it's real and then someone supposes that it's possible it's just a photoshopped screen from youtube and everyone grabs their torches and is ready to get rosti banned or something.

Being a trustworthy user on gaf should be enough for him to think about what he writes before doing it.

orioto

Good Art™
Doesn't this feel like it's just repeating the mistake of the Wii U?

By the way WiiU's "mistake" isn't the second screen. This is a great idea. Nobody never didn't buy the WiiU cause "i hate that second screen idea". It wasn't enough to sell the console, not innovative enough and there was other problems, communication problems and deeper Nintendo problems. BUT the second screen was never rejected. I damn hope Nintendo realizes that.

If anyone has read the Destructoid article, it states that the image was NOT photoshopped. That would mean that this is most likely not a simple crop job if it is indeed a fake controller.

georly

Being a trustworthy user on gaf should be enough for him to think about what he writes before doing it.

And if he's not lying and this is legit and everyone is assuming fake incorrectly? How is that his fault?

And if it's just a throwaway joke, it's not a big deal, no need to freak out about it.

RhyDin

Then why post in the first place?
Why have any discussion about the topic, by that logic? He didn't confirm or deny. Even if he knew, he couldn't. People took what he said and gave it their own meaning.

I still say real, even despite the crop job. Who knows what is actually going on there. It's possible this is a regular panel in a 3D printed shell, but you are entitled to believe what you want.

Galava

And if he's not lying and this is legit and everyone is assuming fake incorrectly? How is that his fault?

Oh, that's not his fault. I actually I understand that if this is real and he knows something, probably he's under NDA and can't say more than put some Hex code to say something without saying it.

Tuck

freeform_zpsrca9zxsn.jpg

That looks horrible - both sides of the screen would be moved by my hands, so why make it a screen? Seems like a waste.

Lets say the image is fake and it just happens to resemble a real prototype which wouldn't be far fetched considering it more or less mirrors a patent. We can hardly blame Rösti for this.

The only reason I believe that this isnt a fake is because of what he said. Its either fake or it isnt, theres no middle ground here. Imo this is either the overall controller design or it isnt, regardless of what is presented on the screen.

Link_enfant

By the way WiiU's "mistake" isn't the second screen. This is a great idea. Nobody never didn't buy the WiiU cause "i hate that second screen idea". It was enough to sell the console, not innovative enough and there was other problems, communication problems and deeper Nintendo problems. BUT the second screen was never rejected. I damn hope Nintendo realizes that.

This. Great reminder, totally agree

To me, haptics are nothing more than a half measure compromise. 'The future of innovation'? Innovation doesn't typically come from making an existing solution less practical.

We use controllers with our hands. Our hands rely on touch. Having a virtual button on a flat surface that buzzes when you hit it with no other reference than vision to see if you're in the correct position is anything but innovation. It's a compromise for a physical button at best and a cumbersome gimmick at worst.

I think it be one of those things that once you get used to how haptic feels and where the buttons are it would become second nature. It might take a while to get used to, but from what people have said about apple's new trackpad , the click of it is quite satisfying.

The advantages are that:

You can customise the layout. This effectively gives you a southpaw controller if need be. Or you can move buttons to where you feel it is natural .

The buttons can be changed in that they can become visual representations for the game, sword button? Have a sword button. It opens up the game up to be quite accessible. You could also perhaps change the size of buttons to, so the action button is bigger.

I'm not sure how far along haptic technology is, but each button can be programmed to have a different feel too, which potentially could be awesome, you could perhaps mimic different guns in COD with different resistance and feel parameters to make them unique - But i might be ahead of my self there.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Why in the world would Nintendo double down on a concept that failed so miserably with the Wii U. This makes no sense at all which is why I think it's fake.

Deku Tree

By the way WiiU's "mistake" isn't the second screen. This is a great idea. Nobody never didn't buy the WiiU cause "i hate that second screen idea". It was enough to sell the console, not innovative enough and there was other problems, communication problems and deeper Nintendo problems. BUT the second screen was never rejected. I damn hope Nintendo realizes that.

Well what I really mean is this... Nintendo wanted to hit a certain price point with the Wii U. The launch price of $350 was already a high price for a Nintendo system. And the cost of the controller forced them to go with very weak internal hardware in order to hit their console price target.

I think selling a system with weak internal hardware was a mistake, and putting a basically uninteresting and mostly useless second screen into the Wii U made sure that Nintendo had to launch their system with weak specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom