• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gino

Look at the shadow, What angle is the light coming from? Why does the cord project such a wide shadow if the light is coming from low and behind the person taking the picture.

Shadows don't seem to make sense to me.

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe, the controller is not displaying a tech demo, but a VIDEO of the tech demo? As in testing the system's media player capabilities with a prerecorded UE4 demo included in the devkit, as well as its cropping abilities to accommodate the form factor?

This would explain the the 62.71 at the top as it is the length of the video, and also the fact that it is a perfect match on that one frame.

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws here. #TeamReal

I remember the free form display thread a while back, lots of interesting ideas from that thread lol like someone needs to shop this gif to this new controller

InfamousGratefulHowlermonkey.gif

and i hope heptic feedback stuff is more visable like this too
freeform_zpsrca9zxsn.jpg

I seriously don't see the appeal of this, why would I want to have my hands to partially block the game screen?

Imaging playing with your hands raised and visually blocking part of your tv? That's how bad this is.

Obviously this is fake, but I also hope nothing close comes into fruiton.

catbrush

To me, haptics are nothing more than a half measure compromise. 'The future of innovation'? Innovation doesn't typically come from making an existing solution less practical.

We use controllers with our hands. Our hands rely on touch. Having a virtual button on a flat surface that buzzes when you hit it with no other reference than vision to see if you're in the correct position is anything but innovation. It's a compromise for a physical button at best and a cumbersome gimmick at worst.

The sticks could be 3D (able to be pushed in/out on a Z axis along with the X & Y axis of a traditional analog stick). Haptic feedback with motor resistance could be built into the sticks to provide the feeling of multiple physical buttons under your thumb (slide the right stick down and feel the B button, slide the stick to the right and feel the A button).

georly

By the way WiiU's "mistake" isn't the second screen. This is a great idea. Nobody never didn't buy the WiiU cause "i hate that second screen idea". It was enough to sell the console, not innovative enough and there was other problems, communication problems and deeper Nintendo problems. BUT the second screen was never rejected. I damn hope Nintendo realizes that.

I don't think the second screen did them any favors, either. Very few games use it well enough to justify adding the expensive controller to the console's price. I think it was a mistake in that it meant they could never drop the price to a level where it would be competitive because they'd lose money.

For SURE, it was not the biggest mistake, tons of other factors added together made the wii u a failure, but the gamepad definitely didn't help it out any.

Can NX succeed if it's a Wii U 2? Possibly, but it's definitely going to jack the price of the system up if you need both a set top box AND an expensive controller with brand new free-form LED screens.

I seriously don't see the appeal of this, why would I want to have my hands to partially block the game screen?

Imaging playing with your hands raised and visually blocking part of your tv? That's how bad this is.

Because it'd be something more like this in an actual game:

y8b3Lf8.png

Where the areas in black are relegated to UI and stuff.

Giever

By the way WiiU's "mistake" isn't the second screen. This is a great idea. Nobody never didn't buy the WiiU cause "i hate that second screen idea". It was enough to sell the console, not innovative enough and there was other problems, communication problems and deeper Nintendo problems. BUT the second screen was never rejected. I damn hope Nintendo realizes that.

The second screen idea wasn't a problem, but it did drive the price up, which was a problem.

gafneo

Banned
An important question nobody that I've seen try to answer is why Nintendo would do this. It is more screen, real estate that isn't really useful functionally, and also a screen that is more specialized than a regular rectangular screen. It drives up the costs, probably a decent bit. And what does it add? What's the purpose other than being different?

The reason is to make the screen suit phone games where you normally have to play with extra space using only touch. This engraves the screens with only things it needs to play all mobile. It is designed slimmer than a Wii U Pad so that you can use it as a Wii Mote I'm guessing.

Ansatz

Why in the world would Nintendo double down on a concept that failed so miserably with the Wii U. This makes no sense at all which is why I think it's fake.

The thing that matters is what Nintendo thinks is the reason Wii U failed.

If NX handheld is comparable to 3DS in terms of functionality (clamshell design, two screens) and taking the merged software library theory into consideration, then they absolutely need the NX console controller to offer an equivalent control scheme to the handheld and they accomplish that with this pototype while also moving away from the bulky, rectangular shaped Wii U gamepad.

otakukidd

The developers rejected it cause barely anyone actually used it effectively. And customers rejected it cause it made the console way more expensive than it should of been. Also love your art. About to buy a couple more prints for my basement.

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe, the controller is not displaying a tech demo, but a VIDEO of the tech demo? As in testing the system's media player capabilities with a prerecorded UE4 demo included in the devkit, as well as its cropping abilities to accommodate the form factor?

This would explain the the 62.71 at the top as it is the length of the video, and also the fact that it is a perfect match on that one frame.

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws here. #TeamReal

I don't even...

Boogdud

I think it be one of those things that once you get used to how haptic feels and where the buttons are it would become second nature.

I'm not sure how far along haptic technology is, but each button can be programmed to have a different feel too, which potentially could be awesome, you could perhaps mimic different guns in COD with different resistance and feel parameters to make them unique - But i might be ahead of my self there.

Some of you guys defending the haptic train (as it is proposed in regards to this controller)really need to get familiar with the technology and where it is today. Whatever it is in your minds is not even close to actuality.

Lets say the image is fake and it just happens to resemble a real prototype which wouldn't be far fetched considering it more or less mirrors a patent. We can hardly blame Rösti for this.
Nintendo patented the tech so they'll likely use it and maybe that's all Rostii knew, but I don't think it would look so similar to the patent

TAS

I hope to God this is fake..otherwise 3rd party developers are going to avoid this thing like the plague and it will tank harder than Wii U.

The reason is to make the screen suit phone games where you normally have to play with extra space using only touch. This engraves the screens with only things it needs to play all mobile. It is designed slimmer than a Wii U Pad so that you can use it as a Wii Mote I'm guessing.

How would having a normal, rectangular screen not accomplish that with the additional benefit of being cheaper and easier to produce? The extra screen stuff has no functional reason for existing beyond simply having more screen - and even then it's awkward, partially obscured, and makes development and/or porting probably that much more difficult.

I think it be one of those things that once you get used to how haptic feels and where the buttons are it would become second nature. It might take a while to get used to, but from what people have said about apple's new trackpad , the click of it is quite satisfying.

The advantages are that:

You can customise the layout. This effectively gives you a southpaw controller if need be. Or you can move buttons to where you feel it is natural .

The buttons can be changed in that they can become visual representations for the game, sword button? Have a sword button. It opens up the game up to be quite accessible. You could also perhaps change the size of buttons to, so the action button is bigger.

I'm not sure how far along haptic technology is, but each button can be programmed to have a different feel too, which potentially could be awesome, you could perhaps mimic different guns in COD with different resistance and feel parameters to make them unique - But i might be ahead of my self there.
I like your ideas! This kind of customization is what excites me about this tech. The NX could have as many inputs or buttons as the screen will allow. Add in gyro, facial tracking with the camera, the scroll wheels that double as L and R buttons and you have plenty of exciting possibilities as far as control options go. Far more than a PS4 or Xbone Controller could have.

grkazan12

I remember the free form display thread a while back, lots of interesting ideas from that thread lol like someone needs to shop this gif to this new controller

and i hope heptic feedback stuff is more visable like this too
freeform_zpsrca9zxsn.jpg

Although, I do think the analog sticks could get in the way, the screen being the entire unit would be really immersive. You would no longer be confined to small borders, idk I think it could work.

It's a controller/handheld piece of plastic... People take this crap too seriously.

I mean, he knows that people take his posts seriously. Dropping some ambiguous response in a thread about a potential leak and not clarifying is only going to serve as thread derailment. He should know better.

Peru

I hope to God this is fake..otherwise 3rd party developers are going to avoid this thing like the plague and it will tank harder than Wii U.

Western 3rd parties have nothing to do with Nintendo's success or failure in future hardware endeavours.

This is the exact frame that was used. You can tell from the various parallax elements that converge at that moment ( pillars, branches etc. ).

IFQjguB.png

Quick & dirty perspective overlay ( close enough though ) ...

h1KxzWr.gif

Did you perspective-transform the overlaying image, or is it simply scaled and rotated? If not, and the image still lines up it must've been added in post processing onto the display.

The tech demo is almost 2 years old. That seems weird.

Would you expect the next Nintendo handheld to be able to run a newest UE4 demo? A 2 year old demo sounds about right for Nintendo!

Because it'd be something more like this in an actual game:

y8b3Lf8.png

Where the areas in black are relegated to UI and stuff.

Guess that could work, but still I don't see anything real special about it, is Wii U pad 2.0.

This is one of the fakest looking leaked photos I've ever seen.

Everything about it from the little camera cuttout at the bottom of the oval not being centered, to the left inverted control pad, and the image on the "screen", it's just a total shop job.

Unless this thing has some sorta convex/inward curved face then it just doesn't make sense.

Looks exactly like patent drawing
+
image is cropped from a tech demo
+
is the stupidest thing I've ever seen
=
probably fake, Rosti notwithstanding.

However, I don't consider it impossible that the NX ends up doing something like this.

Papacheeks

Banned
The NX handheld definitely won't, let alone the handheld and console combined.

The console alone, though? That remains to be seen.

If they don't throw in a regular controller with physical buttons and no screen gimmicks, then I would say the console would be fine. If this type of controller and it's functions are mandated to be vital the way the console operates and how games are designed, then it will tank harder than Wii U for sure.

I'm starting to think that while I believe it's fake that the controller could look like that. I'm not sold on the screen covering the entire thing, but the thing about that is that it'd be up to devs how to implement that, like how in some of these mock-ups they could do it to where the sticks don't cover any actual screen space.

Hm. I'm warming up to the idea, but still, the lack of buttons... I've tried playing phone games with screen buttons but not being able to feel them is a huge turn off to me.

That's vague. Either means A) they are tired of false leaks coming, B) Tired of leaks in general, or C) It's real and isn't happy a leak occurred. I would go with A since we keep seeing fake leaks happen on a weekly basis at this point.

He did use the word "exposed" in his original statement though.

Well if they were smart, they would consider the center part of the controller where your hands aren't blocking anything the "safe" zone. Within that safe zone is all the important visual info like the HUD or anything else important happening visually. Then everything outside of that is kind of like if your regular monitor or TV could display what was happening just outside the actual visible screen.

barit

If this is real then yeah Bye Bye Nintendo. It was nice to meet you. Like serious this looks awful even for an edgy handheld

Xiao Hu

Nintendo patented the tech so they'll likely use it and maybe that's all Rostii knew, but I don't think it would look so similar to the patent

This is where I am basically now. The shape is just...too off. I mean why would you chose that display shape in the first place? It makes sense in the context of a patent application where you have to convey that the display is in fact free form (thus the unusual shape). Now when it comes for the finished product the shape of the display can be anything from a donut to a bloody hexahedron.

Oddduck

Western 3rd parties have nothing to do with Nintendo's success or failure in future hardware endeavours.

If you're only talking about Nintendo's handheld business, then you might have a point.

But they need third parties for their home consoles.

optimiss

I'm pretty sure the innovation in NX will be the software platform and services. I don't see them doing anything really crazy on the controller front. An evolution of the gamepad seems completely likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom