• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Genuine question: what has he leaked/said before that makes him trustworthy? I'm not well versed in this GAF lore unfortunately.

He/She doesn't leak anything. He/She posts patent stuff. Everything else has the comprehensibility between a cboat post and a politician deflecting a question.

The_Lump

Banned
Can be read either way. They may well be annoyed that such a fake is out in the wild causing debate

I don't see why Nintendo bods would give a crap, to be honest. There are plenty of NX fakes all over the internet - why would this one illicit a response?

If it's fake then what would be the reason for the careful vagueness of Rösti's post? Could just say "it's fake" and be done.

Seems Rösti is saying (without explicitly saying), that it's not a fake but it's also not necessarily what NX currently looks like.

This is the same company that brought this to market:

Nintendo-64-controller.jpg

<3

Pokemaniac

Sounds more like it's an early prototype of the hardware, but the unreal demo is BS.

Lets not forget that Nintendo did file a patent for this goofy, un-ergonomic controller design.

This is the same company that brought this to market:

Nintendo-64-controller.jpg

Pre-unveiling patents usually don't resemble the final product to this degree.

maxcriden

His source knows but Rosti doesn't. I imagine a Nintendo (?) employee would be upset either way.
Rosti saying that they don't know if the device is accurate or not (or if it's a prototype) seems to indicate that it's not a confirmation which everyone took the original post to be

I see what you mean. I guess I read that as part of the overall coyness of the post, but that's more inference on my part than anything concretely there.

It's not a confirmation, but it's unclear just what the source thought of it. I agree they'd be perturbed regardless of its veracity, but I would say the mention that the source was also upset by events earlier in the year--there are multiple things that could refer to, but the first that comes to mind for me is Trev's leak, which we know at least in part was legit, so that makes me think this could be legit to at least some degree as well. Whether that would mean it's a devkit or prototype or an actual finished product, who knows. Or, whether it's a handheld or a controller for a console.

Why is everyone thinking about that when it seems obvious, if such a tech was used, it would be more for something like that.

NXdemo.jpg

And the portable would have a smaller version of it to replace the bottom screen of the 3ds.

If all this leak is real, this is the way the control/portable device probably display the image. Looks cool but not confortable at all.

gulma1

Neo Member
I'm not a fan of semantics, but couldn't you easily interpret that quote as, "My source tells me that isn't a real prototype or a recent prototype, but he/we can't say anything because of NDA's and it's frustrating to have all of these crazy rumors surrounding the NX."

wait, didn't his source already break the NDA by telling Rosti?

RomanceDawn

Well after Rosti's words I guess I'm leaning over to the real side of the fence. Though I can't imagine that as a final product. I think I'd still be surprised if Nintendo showed this off at E3 or what ever, even with the patents and this potential leak in mind.

Like this...
Tabkswq.jpg

Why is everyone thinking about that when it seems obvious, if such a tech was used, it would be more for something like that.

NXdemo.jpg

And the portable would have a smaller version of it to replace the bottom screen of the 3ds.

I'd be pretty happy with something like this and well a few physical buttons to go on the front. The oval shape gives me a futuristic vibe where as the Wii U game pad gave me a bit of a 90's Game Gear vibe.

If it had a few physical buttons with the option to customize as many haptic feedback buttons as I wanted I'd pretty cool with that. Well maybe not as many as I wanted.

The_Lump

Banned
I'm not a fan of semantics, but couldn't you easily interpret that quote as, "My source tells me that isn't a real prototype or a recent prototype, but he/we can't say anything because of NDA's and it's frustrating to have all of these crazy rumors surrounding the NX."

An NDA telling them they can't deny any NX rumours, true or fake BUT they can a) tell him about it and b) he can vaguely confirm or deny he is privvey to said info? Unlikely.

I'm very unsavvy with this stuff. Does Kjell's analysis mean this is likelier fake or real?

It proves that the content on the screen has the correct perspective from the cameras point of view.

It could mean that the photo is real. But it could also mean that if someone did fake this, they at least thought of making it look authentic in that regard.

Ultimately it means that nothing is debunked so far.

MLH

Been following this thread for several hours now, thought it was fake when I first saw it and I still think its fake now.
But looking at the practicality of the design I think it's interesting, suited to some games more than others. For instance the Goldeneye & Metroid mock-ups; both would work well on that handheld, dual sticks and shoulder button controls (scroll wheels for weapon switch).
Touch screen buttons however are too unreliable for quick/ reactive use which are the primary buttons in Nintendo's games. Looking at Nintendo's library the design of the handheld doesn't really work that well, no physical buttons & no d-pad, both of which are the most useful in Nintendo's platformers. Knowing that Nintendo's in-house devs get a say during the design process I can't imagine they would okay such a design.

ecosse_011172

Can we blame him for speaking? He's as entitled to post as any of us, its just he knows something but can't say it.

If you have a reputation as someone with insider contacts, someone who is trusted, then posting utterly vague comments which can be read in several ways does way more harm than good. He is completely entitled to post whatever he wants, I just don't get the point in this case.

Again, nothing against him, he clearly has added a lot to the forum, I'm only referring to this case.

maxcriden

It proves that the content on the screen has the correct perspective from the cameras point of view.

It could mean that the photo is real. But it could also mean that if someone did fake this, they at least thought of making it look authentic in that regard.

Ok, excellent. Thank you for the clarification!

An NDA telling them they can't deny any NX rumours, true or fake BUT they can a) tell him about it and b) he can vaguely confirm or deny he is privvey to said info? Unlikely.

I doubt the source is holding true to the NDA or else Rosti wouldn't even hear this from them. I would think if the NDA's this tight they're not supposed to discuss NX at all. But that's just speculation on my part.

wrowa

Well, considering he has a pretty good reputation so far, why bother to assume he's being a dick this ONE time?

Has he? I don't want to discredit him at all, but from what I remember he's mostly just posting patents and the like which are public information everyone can access. I haven't yet seen anything that proves he has actual inside information.

Again, I don't want to discredit him, but when it comes to supposed insiders I always remain skeptical, since there are always more people who just like the attention than there are people who are actual insiders.

Anth0ny

They're using similar logic to how they proved mario maker's leak fake. There are tons of other possible explanations for why that scene is on the screen, like... the system actually running that tech demo?

remember doctor mario in smash 4? lol

georly

Has he? I don't want to discredit him at all, but from what I remember he's mostly just posting patents and the like which are public information everyone can access. I haven't yet seen anything that proves he has actual inside information.

Again, I don't want to discredit him, but when it comes to supposed insiders I always remain skeptical, since there are always more people who just like the attention than there are people who are actual insiders.

Yeah, I mean he has a reputation for not joking around, doing drive-by posts, shitposting, etc. All of his posts have been informative and helpful. Why would he start stirring up the pot today in this thread?

remember doctor mario in smash 4? lol

The stage or the character?

Pokemaniac

While the image itself is perspective-correct relative to the person who took the photo, the way that image lines up with the video screenshot is a bit suspicious. The image on screen really shouldn't be at the same perspective as the one from the video.

georly

While the image itself is perspective-correct relative to the person who took the photo, the way that image lines up with the video screenshot is a bit suspicious. The image on screen really shouldn't be at the same perspective as the one from the video.

Why's that? Is the video someone playing through the tech demo, or is it possible the tech demo itself renders exactly what you see in the video, so a device running the tech demo natively would also display the exact same thing? Similar to how game benchmarks typically just show the same scene every time you run it and don't allow you to interact.

That's one of the ways we get insider information. People who have firsthand knowledge either make a post on here or tell somebody who makes a post on here. If the information is specific, it puts the insider at risk if the information can be traced to a select group of people that know it. I've seen several insiders become very vague or stop posting because they were worried about being found out.

Sometimes we get legit leaks that are very specific and turn out to be true. Sometimes we get ambiguity. If Rosti's ultimate point is that he/his source are tired of NX rumors and that one or some of them have some merit but he can't comment further than that, I don't think that is too unbelievable. Maybe his comments are a subtle confirmation that this prototype is real, but I don't read it that way.

Why's that? Is the video someone playing through the tech demo, or is it possible the tech demo itself renders exactly what you see in the video, so a device running the tech demo natively would also display the exact same thing? Similar to how game benchmarks typically just show the same scene every time you run it and don't allow you to interact.
But being zoomed in as much as it is and being off centered seems like a red flag.

georly

But being zoomed in as much as it is and being off centered seems like a red flag.

Or that's just how that weird display is currently rendering the tech demo.

April 1st will be full of NX "leaks" this year.

What if the person rostii says is upset is only upset because this was supposed to be for their site's epic april fool's NX joke and now they have to come up with a brand new one in less than two weeks.

unless you can shift the viewport up and down via the headtracking sensor, which is something I was wondering about months ago.

So what's the point in saying anything?
I didn't like his original drive by post either, but he gave enough clarification in his response about what he meant. Regardless if this is real or not his sources are not happy about this. If it's real it's damaging, because Nintendo can't control the message or the information. If it's fake they are in the same boat. It's a no win situation for Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom