• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daakusedo

I found Rosti posting awful. Starting with a first useless cryptic post that implied more than he knew and confused people.
To an equally convoluted explication that is still confusing lot of posters but being basically "I don't know what this thing is but some higher ups are upset by the slew of leaks and rumors".
Well such information doesn't need roleplay and covering...
It didn't help in the slightest.

I found Rosti posting awful. Starting with a first useless cryptic post that implied more than he knew and confused people.
To an equally convoluted explication that is still confusing lot of posters but being basically "I don't know what this thing is but some higher ups are upset by the slew of leaks and rumors".

His thesaurus posts were even worse.

I agree. Unfortunately, there are people here who perceive that valid criticism to be some sort of attack on his character.

Malus

Hey man he needs to keep everything on the down low or else he puts the whole scene in dangerville.

I agree. Unfortunately, there are people here who perceive that valid criticism to be some sort of attack on his character.

It's kind of weird because people clearly want to be entertained by Rosti's Rumors but we know he can't say much and wants to protect his sources. So in the end we get haikus and number games that give tiny bits of non exciting info but stir people's imaginations for a while. If not for that all we'd get is the occasional "lol" or "I dunno." I suppose that might be better than being ambiguous and potentially creating confusion. On the other hand crazy gaf is fun.

Tends to happen to everything. Xbox One and PS4 had their specs leaked, we pretty much know almost everything about the iPhone 7 and even the Wii U had the gamepad leaked out by Nikkei since the system was rumored. It happens.

Its totally going to happen, I think Nintendo can contain it through April, past that its just playing with fire, specially if Ubisoft really has dev kits.

213372bu

Banned

I agree:
Posting a backwards hex code, which you can solve by easily googling.
Trying to hide 3 words with the letter "e" while saying "the powers at hand are very disappointed"

sounds like something straight out of a half-assed TV script.

Not a slight on the poster, but it is just too "roleplay"-y for me.

213372bu

Banned
So is it a confirmed fake or a confirmed leak?
It depends, if you believe this dude.

Rösti;198593439 said:
2e6465736f707865206e65656220544f4e206576616820646c756f68732073696854

Which translated from HEX to text is

Read it backwards.
Rösti;198611791 said:
Alright, alright, I will provide you a brief elucidation. What the embodiment in the image is representative of I do not know, it may or may not be a prototype related to the project of interest, it may or may not be a final design to the consumer. What I do know is what I originally said, and that x distinguished excellencies/individuals have expressed indignation about this situation (and earlier events this year). I have full trust in my source. These leaks are unfortunate.

I have no intention to troll anyone or cause a commotion. My original post was primarily a way for me to express my thoughts about this. While it is of course nice to have something to discuss in terms of NX, I am hoping that future stories of this calibre house less harmful properties. I have faith in this clarification providing sufficient eligibility.
Click the arrow on the second quote for the decrypted message.

It's something like : "This shouldn't have gotten out." or something.

It's just a prank bro

Rösti;198611791 said:
What I do know is what I originally said, and that x distinguished excellencies/individuals have expressed indignation about this situation (and earlier events this year). I have full trust in my source. These leaks are unfortunate.

Well shit, I'd be upset too if fake leaks about my console are fucking up the image of it.

213372bu

Banned
Well shit, I'd be upset too if fake leaks about my console are fucking up the image of it.

Never though it about that way, but that actually makes sense.

Some person that works at Nintendo tells his friend that the company is pissed some guy faked a prototype based off an old patent, causing backlash toward Nintendo's new product that may have branched off that concept.

Then he comes on Neogaf and tries saying something without getting anyone in trouble so just tries spreading the answer in some tropey way that looks "secretive".

I guess it sounds kinda real then.

It's kind of weird because people clearly want to be entertained by Rosti's Rumors but we know he can't say much and wants to protect his sources. So in the end we get haikus and number games that give tiny bits of non exciting info but stir people's imaginations for a while. If not for that all we'd get is the occasional "lol" or "I dunno." I suppose that might be better than being ambiguous and potentially creating confusion. On the other hand crazy gaf is fun.

I don't agree at all with piling on Rosti but Trev's verified source blowout was so unprecedented in not beating around the bush like all other sources have done so all these years and just going straight to dropping nukes that I think people are spoiled now. Even if Trev never posts again there's no going back. Ultra vagueness, word puzzles and coy one line "lol" type replies from certain sources won't be as easily tolerated and fawned over as they used to be.

Peru

If Rosti's comments are legit and someone at Nintendo is pissed I would assume it is not over a complete fake. Fakes come and go, there were more elaborate ones ahead of the Wii launch. If this is early hardware, dev kit, etc, then someone would be pissed.

Peterc

Despite reports saying the picture ISN'T photoshopped?

The picture being from the Unreal Engine tech demo doesn't really disprove anything either.

What about this picture:

ET-on-Controller.jpg

213372bu

Banned
If Rosti's comments are legit and someone at Nintendo is pissed I would assume it is not over a complete fake. Fakes come and go, there were more elaborate ones ahead of the Wii launch. If this is early hardware, dev kit, etc, then someone would be pissed.

They could be mad that someone is putting out a fake that iterated on a past patent that their work branched off of, and they are mad that people are already getting pissed over the design.

Kinda like rallying people up against a product, and when the actual console actually does resemble it, people are going to backlash harder.

It's actually one of the most sane theories in this thread.

I can remember seeing some show about a outdoor show projector setup with a semi-circle shaped screen. They said that shape is actually works better with how vision works.

I don't agree at all with piling on Rosti but Trev's verified source blowout was so unprecedented in not beating around the bush like all other sources have done so all these years and just going straight to dropping nukes that I think people are spoiled now. Even if Trev never posts again there's no going back. Ultra vagueness, word puzzles and coy one line "lol" type replies from certain sources won't be as easily tolerated and fawned over as they used to be.
For me, it doesn't have anything to do with beating around the bush. He's never leaked anything, so I don't really expect anything from him. He's good at digging into patent information. It wasn't until recently he suggested that he had insider information. But he hasn't really given much. I don't expect him to risk anything by doing so, of course, but the way he speaks just makes me think he likes to remind us that he knows more than we do. It's usually an off-hand comment like how strict the NDA is. Once he said he might have more information for us the next day. Fast forward one day, he apologized for not coming through. That wasn't a big deal. At worst, he shouldn't have said he could potentially give info at a later date, but I don't think anyone resents him for that.

In this case, he posted an overly dramatic post in hex code or something. I don't really think he wanted to hide anything. It kinda feels like a game, kinda like with CBOAT. Unlike CBOAT, though, he told us basically nothing. All he said was "This should not have been exposed." Does that mean it's fake or true or what? People leaned toward it being true. It took him a considerable time to clarify as well, and it took a really verbose passage for him to say "My sources aren't happy about it."

I'm not asking for leaks. I just don't like these weird games. Matt is very straightforward with what he says. GopherD doesn't really leak specific things often, but he does make vague statements that are meant to fuel hype. With Rosti, we don't really have anything. I don't mind that, of course, but he posts like a leaker when he isn't one. I mean no disrespect to Rosti, of course. He's a valuable member to the community. Just sharing my thoughts on what's been going on recently.

I don't appreciate people accusing others of being a liar, especially without solid proof. He's a valid member of this community and has contributed a lot, imagine how it feels for him to read posts calling him a liar. This isn't how we do things on NeoGAF.

NDA restrictions are also very strict so we can't expect Rosti or anyone for that matter to confirm and deny anything like this, we shouldn't get angry at him for posting.

AniHawk

I like the concept, I just hate that ovoid shape.

i think my problem with the shape is that it's by itself and your hands cover the screen. but if developers can customize it so that isn't an issue, i think it could be pretty slick.

i'm leaning towards this being an unfinished model of some sort though.

Neoxon

i think my problem with the shape is that it's by itself and your hands cover the screen. but if developers can customize it so that isn't an issue, i think it could be pretty slick.

i'm leaning towards this being an unfinished model of some sort though.
Then what of the messed-up perspective of the image on the screen? If this was accurate, the image would line up with the perspective that the image was shot at.

Could this be a quick mock up of someone who has seen a devkit model? Seems like shopping a bad but not 100% accurate interpretation of an prototype could be a clever way around the NDA.

AniHawk

Could this be a quick mock up of someone who has seen a devkit model? Seems like shopping a bad but not 100% accurate interpretation of an prototype could be a clever way around the NDA.

this is my second guess. either way, i would go with some idea that allows nintendo to continue wii u and ds/3ds ideas at the same time for the next generation.

Then what of the messed-up perspective of the image on the screen? If this was accurate, the image would line up with the perspective that the image was shot at.

The perspective does doesn't it? Aside from not being the middle of the 16:9 version.
I think the right side of the photo (looking from the orientation of the date stamp & note) has been cropped off, which makes the perspective look a bit odd in general, especially the tops of the sticks.

Peterc

I'm thinking again about the price for the NX. I hope it will not be cheap like 200$.

When you hear the rumors that a ps4.5 maybe is comming for 4k res and it will cost about 400$ + Again 400$ for the VR = 800$.

Why the hell should we expect an NX system for 200$ to compete again ps4.5.

At the moment the ps4 still cost about 350$

I'm afraid if the NX will cost 200$, we just have another wiiu again.

Fawk Nin

I won't judge it until it's in my hands. Like most are saying though, it's probably fake. It could end up looking somewhat like it in the end, surely they will add grips tho

wrowa

this is my second guess.

There's no way making a "similar but not 100% accurate" mock-up wouldn't be a breach of the NDA. You aren't allowed to even vaguely describe what NX is, so making a mock-up that kinda gets the point across would still be very much against the NDA.

Of course, tracking down the person who made a mock-up would be significantly harder, so I guess you might mean that, but it still strikes me as something with an exceptionally poor risk/reward ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom