• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Microsoft to unlock more GPU power for Xbox One developers

MogCakes

How is what he said not definitive? Not only did he give an example of biometric data that is indeed collected, he gave a link to a page that clearly defines all of the data that is collected, where's it's stored, and how it's used.
How that isn't a clear enough "Yes" is beyond me.

Oh, because Wicked is being a smart ass, that explains it.

To be fair, the most definitive way to answer a Yes or No question is to either say Yes or No.

xaosslug

How is what he said not definitive? Not only did he give an example of biometric data that is indeed collected, he gave a link to a page that clearly defines all of the data that is collected, where's it's stored, and how it's used.
How that isn't a clear enough "Yes" is beyond me.

Albert basically said 'er, I don't know... read this!' LOL

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sony would get harped on even harder than Microsoft if they tried to pull the same. Two back to back blunders that's why. Persecution complex. I remember when PS3 was harped on for years and Wii and 360 was consistently praised. Funny how situation is reversed at the moment. Wii-U and Xbone is having nothing but bad publicity this time around.

This is a gaming forum. Get in the way of the games and you get roasted. PS3 got criticised on cost, people suggesting bluray was a waste of time - for games yes, it was good for those wanting entertainment but that was a distraction that delayed it and increase the cost, and GAF was very critical.

This is a gaming forum. Get in the way of the games and you get roasted. PS3 got criticised on cost, people suggesting bluray was a waste of time - for games yes, it was good for those wanting entertainment but that was a distraction that delayed it and increase the cost, and GAF was very critical.

Alot of people here who are critical of the Xbox One either own a 360, were open to buying an Xbox One, or are actually buying one. We're not mindless fanboys

MogCakes

Which just leads to more questions.
Answering a question fully the first time, in my opinion, is more appreciated than leaving the door open for speculation.

I don't disagree, but a Yes or No thrown in at the beginning or concluding sentence would not only fully answer but definitively answer said question :p

I cant be the only one that this biometric stuff scares right??

I mean I know Penello said theyd give users the option but about what W!CKED said?
People NEVER read those long informative pop ups that come up. They just see yes/no and optin/optout. How many people will really know what theyre signing off on when they select yes?

What some dont seem to understand is biometric data is almost invaluable and having that type of data at your disposal is a gold mine.

Even if we elect to opt out, who's to say that info still isnt being collected?? Come one now man I cant trust something like that to a corporation as large as MS...especially after the NSA stuff(yes i know tinfoil hat something something)

EDIT: And this is coming from a OG Xbox and 360 only owner. Alot of use with concerns arent just Sony fans looking to pile on.

If you have it snapped it would be "active"

This is the first time I've 'twigged', "oh yeah, they're using 10% because you can run Internet Explorer alongside your game". I've been sitting here thinking my iPhone must reserve a lot for this functionality but it is essentially different from what MS are doing.

I'd like Albert to comment on the effectiveness of the reputation management firms that have been employed to boost the xbone's popularity. Is there a metric that allows Microsoft to gauge their effectiveness?

For example, here were we have strong moderation and knowledgable members their efforts have probably had the opposite of the intended affect.

I mean I know Penello said theyd give users the option but about what W!CKED said?
People NEVER read those long informative pop ups that come up. They just see yes/no and optin/optout. How many people will really know what theyre signing off on when they select yes?

What some dont seem to understand is biometric data is almost invaluable and having that type of data at your disposal is a gold mine.

Even if we elect to opt out, who's to say that info still isnt being collected?? Come one now man I cant trust something like that to a corporation as large as MS...especially after the NSA stuff(yes i know tinfoil hat something something)
Is the Kinect the first camera/microphone you'd own that is connected to a smart device?
If not, and you don't worry about those devices, then you probably don't need to worry about the Kinect.

My last post before heading to bed.

A simple "yes or no" answer doesn't give the appropriate level of weight to an important issue. I would rather give a more thorough answer, and point people to places where they can get more information.

There is a reason you create a multi-page FAQ because everyone has different questions or concerns. Yes or No assumes every person reading this thread has the same level of understanding and the same issues,

There is nothing coy about my response. It's a serious issue for some people and I'd rather give examples and links then just be flippant.

In any case, this is super off-topic for this thread, which I only originally posted in to say I'm still around. :)

Hitting the hay, g'night!

If anyone is that concerned about that data being collected without them giving permission then I don't think you should be buying a system with a camera that's always on. But I agree that it should concern people.

Albert works for MS, he's gonna give answers that suits his company, that how it is. If I were in his shoes I wouldn't do it any differently. Let's just appreciate the information he gives us and we can pick and choose what we believe as true and what we believe is PR, no need to bash the guy and call him a liar.

Tabular

Banned
Wouldn't that lead to slowdown of the Os when playing a game, much like the XMB on PS3?

That depends .. They could alternate when in snap mode .. Half the frames . Draw the game in one frame then update the os in next . If the ui is running solid 60 fps it would knock it down to 30 bug that would not affect the speed at which the ui runs ... Just the speed at which it is drawn.

And wow at the Sony defense force .. You have nothing to defend here. So they can knock 10 percent of the gap. You still have 30%

Wow! How in the hell did you come up with 30%? Microsoft defense force 101? It's been explained quite well but obviously you didn't bother to read before coming up with some bogus magic math.

Yes.

But let's say Sony took the same reservation, in absolute terms, as on XB1.

That would be - using flops as the metric - 1.71Tflops.

1.71 : 1.18 = ~45% difference, up from 1.31 : 1.84 = ~40% difference

If Sony takes half the reserve XB1 does, that would be:

1.77 : 1.18 = ~50% difference

I reckon it'd be somewhere between those two scenarios.

Of course, devs already knew about this, but we didn't so much. We heard these rumours but I think it's the first time we've had it out of the horse's mouth (?) And having it confirmed again post-upclock is significant, one might have thought they might reduce the reserve in light of that.

If you want to put a number out there 45-50% GPU difference is the most accurate.

EDIT: And this is coming from a OG Xbox and 360 only owner. Alot of use with concerns arent just Sony fans looking to pile on.

The NSA fiasco opened everyone's eyes. It's a legitimate concern.

A simple "yes or no" answer doesn't give the appropriate level of weight to an important issue. I would rather give a more thorough answer, and point people to places where they can get more information.

There is a reason you create a multi-page FAQ because everyone has different questions or concerns. Yes or No assumes every person reading this thread has the same level of understanding and the same issues,

There is nothing coy about my response. It's a serious issue for some people and I'd rather give examples and links then just be flippant.

In any case, this is super off-topic for this thread, which I only originally posted in to say I'm still around. :)

Very reassuring

MogCakes

It is possible to give a thorough answer covering all facets of the intent behind the question that also clearly and without a doubt answers the 'yes or no' part of it - by adding a yes or no somewhere in the response :p

Having said that, thanks for your efforts in communicating with us here.

""I don't trust Microsoft now," he said, adding that he only uses open source software where he can examine the underlying code. He also said he has not carried a mobile phone for two years."

Yikes

Sent from my iPhone

Maybe due to his position, the guy was able to witness things that warranted his concerns. I think one thing the Snowden leaks demonstrated was that we can't have a dismissive attitude concerning privacy.

"How many people are in the living room? Are they taking any action based on the advertising they just saw?" Watts said. "Can we watch the customers' reaction, and if we can, do we have the capability of showing a different ad, or the same ad, depending on what the reaction was?" http://goo.gl/NzGDp

Although now a year old, it's statements like this from Microsoft that make me wonder wether the reason that they are so insistent on bundling Kinect into every box is more to do with potential ad revenue than with providing a gaming experience. I mean Kinect 2 specific software is pretty thin on the ground for something that is costing them a packet to include.

Is the Kinect the first camera/microphone you own that is connected to a smart device?
If not, and you don't worry about those devices, then you probably don't need to worry about the Kinect.

TBH I really should even worry about it at all because I wont be purchasing an Xbone. Just think there is something inherently different about that, that makes the kinect and data mining not sit well with people.

If it wasnt anything to really worry about nc our cellphones and pc's have cameras and mics Germans wouldnt be so cautious of the tech.

KidBeta

""I don't trust Microsoft now," he said, adding that he only uses open source software where he can examine the underlying code. He also said he has not carried a mobile phone for two years."

Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone

Whats wrong with only using open source software?.

TOYCOFFIN

Banned
Which just leads to more questions.
Answering a question fully the first time, in my opinion, is more appreciated than leaving the door open for speculation.

Jesus, what are you his bodyguard?

Answering the yes or no question doesn't lead to more questions cause all he had was the yes or no. Albert is all over the map.

Barzul

It is possible to give a thorough answer covering all facets of the intent behind the question that also clearly and without a doubt answers the 'yes or no' part of it - by adding a yes or no somewhere in the response :p

Having said that, thanks for your efforts in communicating with us here.
As far as I can tell he answered the question. He said the only biometric data he is aware that MS collects is voice data which is opt in and if he is wrong on that or that changes he will inform us. How does that not answer the question? This is not a question where a simple Yes or No response would suffice especially when it's in regards to something as sensitive as biometric data.

Darn, I wanted to ask Albert if he knew if there would be a price disparity between retail and DD games :/ Lame that this hasn't been mentioned, or if it has, that I haven't seen it.

Nothing is wrong with open source... It's freakin amazing.

Only using open source because you're fearful of privacy... IDK.

If you're using the Internet, it doesn't matter what software you use, they apparently can tap into the providers to filter all data.

Jesus, what are you his bodyguard?

Answering the yes or no question doesn't lead to more questions cause all he had was the yes or no. Albert is all over the map.
Hahaha yep, I'm his bodyguard.
I disagreed that he wasn't answering the question so I must be his personal little bodyguard.

KoopaTheCasual

Don't you know? Having legitimate concerns about your privacy in light of uncovering massive data mining operations, and taking appropriate steps to avoid being passively monitored is crazy talk! Heaven forbid people actually prioritize their privacy!

I really wish this stupid patronizing talk about people, who actually care more about privacy, would stop. Just because a lot of people are too lazy to take these measures, doesn't make them trivial. This is also coming from a guy, who owns an iPhone and a laptop with a camera. I can still empathize with people's concern and approve the effort of their actions.

Darn, I wanted to ask Albert if he knew if there would be a price disparity between retail and DD games :/ Lame that this hasn't been mentioned, or if it has, that I haven't seen it.

I want to ask him when the web X1 marketplace will actually go online.
Same week as launch so i could buy some games already and put them on a download queue and keep on downloading in the background while playing. And dont have to do it at launch or on setup..

"How many people are in the living room? Are they taking any action based on the advertising they just saw?" Watts said. "Can we watch the customers' reaction, and if we can, do we have the capability of showing a different ad, or the same ad, depending on what the reaction was?" http://goo.gl/NzGDp

Although now a year old, it's statements like this from Microsoft that make me wonder wether the reason that they are so insistent on bundling Kinect into every box is more to do with potential ad revenue than with providing a gaming experience. I mean Kinect 2 specific software is pretty thin on the ground for something that is costing them a packet to include.

Exactly this. Ad revenue has to be why they pushed this Kinect so hard. Like you said where is all the incredible software devs wouldve been compelled to make knowing kinect would be mandatory?

If ad revenue is why the xbone is 500 dollars then id be really upset because it was originally the system i planned on getting.

EDIT: and for those that will say 100 dollars isnt a huge difference. It is for me a college student, and there are lots of us out there with the same mindset and wallet problems.

As far as I can tell he answered the question. He said the only biometric data he is aware that MS collects is voice data which is opt in and if he is wrong on that or that changes he will inform us. How does that not answer the question? This is not a question where a simple Yes or No response would suffice especially when it's in regards to something as sensitive as biometric data.

Albert himself said he wasn't really answering the question. Do you really have to defend him?

jusufin

Man its like you guys are trying to do something to him lol

Nah, I personally got nothing against any one of the big 3 console companies. I just feel like they keep playing the wrong cards. Their recent tactic has been to try to downplay the power difference and at the same time to make it seem like they have shortened the gap between the ps4 considerably. It’s not working because the tech enthusiasts will be right there to call them out on the bullshit. The real problem is the $100 dollar price difference. Why are we paying $100 extra for a system that has less power than a lower priced competitor? What is MS plan for the kinect? They included it in the system by default, but have been shying away from it ever since. There are still people out there who won’t buy the X1 because they are afraid that MS may drop Kinect to reduce the price and then they will be left with another useless accessory. They really haven’t done anything to reassure their existing fanbase let alone sell it to everyone else.

SHADES

This, was the one the reasons why I didn't go with a kinect in the box XBone. For a device that's labelled as the differentiator to said company's gaming mantra & the "reason" it's in the SKU is so that dev's can fully support it with games, but where are these games?

The fighter within & kinect sports rivals just don't seem like enough depth to warrant its purchase, surely we'd have more reveals of up coming software to make it more of a compelling choice? Don't get me wrong it looks an awesome bit of tech but IMO its lacking the software to best make use of that tech & it's price tag.

KoopaTheCasual

Where is this biometric talk going too?
Did they made kinect mandatory again or something?

No, they did not. I understand W!CKED's concern, but if it truly bothers him, I think the easiest solution is just to unplug the Kinect. Btw, Thank GOD they 180'd on that BS "must be connected" policy. Saved themselves from a much more nightmarish media blitz, when the console would release and outlets like CNN and FOX would likely report, "Microsoft video recording Kinect tool must remain on 24/7. Are they spying on our living rooms?!" The media knee-jerk reaction, especially with MS's involvement with the NSA, would have been catastrophic.

MogCakes

Albert didn't answer it with the solid definitive 'this is the answer' yes or no part that Wicked asked for. I'm not attacking or defending Albert, just voicing what I see is going on. It's understandable why he wouldn't answer with a yes or no somewhere in his response of course. Answering yes or no has a lot of weight with a situation like this, and could put his credibility and relations with the members here on the line if his answer turns out to be wrong.

TOYCOFFIN

Banned
Exactly this. Ad revenue has to be why they pushed this Kinect so hard. Like you said where is all the incredible software devs wouldve been compelled to make knowing kinect would be mandatory?

If ad revenue is why the xbone is 500 dollars then id be really upset because it was originally the system i planned on getting.

EDIT: and for those that will say 100 dollars isnt a huge difference. It is for me a college student, and there are lots of us out there with the same mindset and wallet problems.

Exactly why it drives me nuts when people argue about Kinect privacy. Especially the ones who take it to the very end and assume because you're upset about the Kinect (and the type of behavior in the article) then you must certainly are against phones and laptop cameras.

Or that because you already have a phone or laptop then you most assuredly be OK with Kinect--both of which are fallacious arguments.

Don't you know? Having legitimate concerns about your privacy in light of uncovering massive data mining operations, and taking appropriate steps to avoid being passively monitored is crazy talk! Heaven forbid people actually prioritize their privacy!

I really wish this stupid patronizing talk about people, who actually care more about privacy, would stop. Just because a lot of people are too lazy to take these measures, doesn't make them trivial. This is also coming from a guy, who owns an iPhone and a laptop with a camera. I can still empathize with people's concern and approve the effort of their actions.
Haha suddenly thinking it's odd that someone only uses open source software and doesn't own a mobile phone because privacy means that I don't care about privacy or believe that everyone is guaranteed a right to privacy.
Maybe I just don't think the answer is to drop the past ~30 of technological advancement?
Nah.

Barzul

Albert himself said he wasn't really answering the question. Do you really have to defend him?
No I didn't but I did anyway. Because I can't tell how his responses are not an answer. Not seeing an answer in his responses would be suggesting he had knows more than he is letting on and there's no one here that confirm or deny that but Albert himself and maybe cboat.

KidBeta

Haha suddenly thinking it's odd that someone only uses open source software and doesn't own a mobile phone because privacy means that I don't care about privacy or believe that everyone is guaranteed a right to privacy.
Maybe I just don't think the answer is to drop the past ~30 of technological advancement?
Nah.

most open source doesn't mean you forgo the past 30 years of technological advancements, if any at all, considering that a large number of the computers and devices that run the internet run off FOSS I don't think you can argue that really.

TOYCOFFIN

Banned
Nah.

Funny you reached that inevitable conclusion because on the previous page you were wondering how people are cool with cell phones and webcams.

KoopaTheCasual

Nah.

Well some people have different priorities than you. There's nothing to make fun of. His life might be a bit more complicated, but I hardly see how that garners ridicule.

most open source doesn't mean you forgo the past 30 years of technological advancements, if any at all, considering that a large number of the computers and devices that run the internet run off FOSS I don't think you can argue that really.
Why would I argue? I've already mentioned I love open source stuff.
Nothing is wrong with open source... It's freakin amazing.

I just don't believe the answer to be using all open source and no Internet

KidBeta

Why would I argue? I've already mentioned I love open source stuff.

I just don't believe the answer to be using all open source and no Internet

You are suggesting that not using a mobile phone and only using FOSS is somehow transporting us back 30 years, how is it doing that exactly?.

No, they did not. I understand W!CKED's concern, but if it truly bothers him, I think the easiest solution is just to unplug the Kinect. Btw, Thank GOD they 180'd on that BS "must be connected" policy. Saved themselves from a much more nightmarish media blitz, when the console would release and outlets like CNN and FOX would likely report, "Microsoft video recording Kinect tool must remain on 24/7. Are they spying on our living rooms?!" The media knee-jerk reaction, especially with MS's involvement with the NSA, would have been catastrophic.

Come on i wouldn't be surprised that NSA already has made deals with Intel, AMD, Microsoft and Sony to have baked in back doors in the chips themselves.
Three of those are american. And Sony is using AMD tech so yeah. Pre the NSA leaks i would have had the same concerns now yeah im too reliant on USA made
products. Even opensource projects can't even be save AMD and Intel chip design aren't public properties god knows how much they can configure in the microcode.

Bsigg12

I'm thoroughly pissed right now. My friend is online on an Xbox One right now.

POesYt8.jpg

Top Bottom