• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Down Memory Lane : Revisiting the ps3 doom and gloom articles

Loudninja

The PS3 may not have been a success but its turnaround was pretty incredible.

It also taught Sony a good lesson,they should have known better in the beginning though.

Replicant

Who'd guess that this disaster would end up having the strongest lineups of games towards the end of its life? Certainly not me.

And hopefully it'd teach Sony to be humble and to work harder at producing more good games for their consoles.

Fistwell

Lots of people here with revisionist history. The PS3 did not become a success by any metric. In order to get it to the point where it's posting respectable numbers Sony had to spend every penny of profit SCE had made since it's inception, lose 70million PS2 users to Xbox 360 and fire/lose most of their management.
Yeah I think it depends how far back you go. Coming off of the PS2 and pre-$599 announcement, the PS3 was expected to wreck all shit up. From that perspective, it's performed pretty poorly. But then things got bad enough that the turnaround, in terms of sales but also in terms of the quality of the games, is pretty remarkable.They've come a long way since the days they were trying to hype up lair and haze.

I mean, have you seen haze?

Lots of people here with revisionist history. The PS3 did not become a success by any metric. In order to get it to the point where it's posting respectable numbers Sony had to spend every penny of profit SCE had made since it's inception, lose 70million PS2 users to Xbox 360 and fire/lose most of their management.

Turning it around was a great achievement and PS4 will be all the stronger for it but to call it a success is being massively generous.

Yeah, let´s forget that the PS3 won Sony the HD format which gave Sony plenty of money from royalties, BR disc manufacturing, and BR players sales, and build very good first party studios.

Not an article, but Amir0x rant was pretty awesome.

Dramatic reading edition.
0jlMs6H.jpg

Was this why he was de-moded ?

Burai

shitonmychest57
Yeah, let´s forget that the PS3 won Sony the HD format which gave Sony plenty of money from royalties, BR disc manufacturing, and BR players sales, and build very good first party studios.

Incorrect. PS3 won the Blu-ray Disc Association the HD format war.

Sony do not own or control Blu-ray.

Erasus

I picked the PS3 in 2007 but it really wasnt until 2009 that it became fucking amazing and imo way better than 360

Another thing I always find funny is how the drop in sales from PS2 to PS3 will end up being much smaller than the drop from the DS to the 3DS and yet none of the hyperbole around the supposed doom for the PS3 ever hit that system.

Valnen

I'm upset with myself that I actually believed the "gaming press" back then and bought an Xbox because of it. So much money wasted that could have gone to buying a PS3.

jtb

Banned
all this proves is that global sales is meaningless. the wii "won" via global sales and yet no one's bringing out the gloom and doom shit where the articles were actually applicable and there was real, tangible crow to be served. because it's not even funny, it's just sad. (though the wii u is kind of funny)

plus, how much money did the PS3 lose Sony? maybe not as much as MS lost on the OG xbox but still... they pissed away so much good will and money. they won the fanboy battle and lost the war. better luck with the PS4.

Abylim

Wow, slightly off topic, but thanks to this topic I found out;

Why Amir0x was Demodded which lead too best gaf exits;

Drinky crow stuff

But most importantly, spent 4 hours reading about JBaird. Holy shit, this site is awesome.

MGS4 helped a lot but I think LBP and Uncharted 2 helped tremendously especially the latter with all its GOTY awards. 2009 was the year of the revival of the ps3.

Draft

Sony lost billions of dollars and blu ray is on the ash heap of history. But uh congrats on outselling the Xbox in Japan?

Bumhead

Banned
The PS3 was abysmal back in 2007. After deciding Resistance was crap all I played on mine was PS1 and PS2 games until Uncharted came out. The entire system was the industry red headed step child at that point.

£425 as well.. good grief.

I don't expect the Xbox One to fare anywhere near as bad as that in Year One, although some of Microsoft's pre-launch antics are pretty equal with 2006/2007 Sony. "We have an offline system for you, it's called Xbox 360" is right up there with "You'll want a second job for this".

Cartman86

Banned
It wasn't till 08 and 09 that Sony started to turn things around. I don't blame those early articles. Especially in light of them under-performing compared to last gen in both sales and innovations in the services they offered with the hardware (anything involving online).

snarge

It makes you think, with all these doom and gloom articles for the XBone, that maybe in a few years we'll beDAAAAHAHAHAHA

I'm sorry, I couldn't finish that.

Turning it around was a great achievement and PS4 will be all the stronger for it but to call it a success is being massively generous.

Basically this. I'm really impressed that Sony managed to salvage it but it was at great cost. The good news is that they seemed to have learned from their mistakes, the PS4 looks great.

Facism

If anything it shows the strength of the playstation brand that they fought back to 2nd place worldwide from that hole of shit they dug themselves at the start of the generation.

Mokubba

How many of these rants do you guys have saved lol.

It's like I see a new one every week.

Shady business over the de-modding though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Looking at PS3's turnaround really is remarkable and it can't all be attributed to the price drop either, Hirai did a good job of salvaging things and definitely earned his promotion.

As for Amirox, he was a fanboy who was emotionally invested at a moment where emotions were high. There was a ton of stupid hyperbole after E3 that year so it's unfair to single him out. Hilarious considering how meaningless the Xbox port ended up being in the grand scheme.

Nintendo can learn something from Sony when it comes to the WiiU.

GamerJM

Banned
Wow, slightly off topic, but thanks to this topic I found out;

Why Amir0x was Demodded which lead too best gaf exits;

Drinky crow stuff

But most importantly, spent 4 hours reading about JBaird. Holy shit, this site is awesome.

Mind giving a summary of some of this stuff (or linking to one if it already exists somewhere)? I went ahead and read Amir0x's story but right now I can't be bothered to read any of that other stuff. That JBaird topic is like 100 pages long, ain't got no time for that.

kirby_fox

Banned
Had bluray failed, I feel as though the PS3 would have also failed. It was lucky for Sony that during that war HD-DVD lost the battle in the end- as early on it seemed like that was going to be the format that won.

They would not have been able to decrease price as much to become a formidable opponent. They would not have increased their first party output as they did, and would have potentially then failed.

Their outlook was not very good, and they spent money the right way to turn it around. It's unfortunate they did not learn the same lessons for Vita but seem to learn it for the PS4.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Realistically though, Sony did 'lose' this generation. If you look at units sold, which is the console warz metric of choice but largely pointless, they did okay. But if you look at their market share or profit—the kind of things that demonstrate the health of the company—they did really badly. If you were an investor you'd rather have invested in MS or Nintendo this generation.

Salaadin

I forgot how bad the early PS3 years were. It was pretty damn hard being a Sony fan and PS3 owner back then. Between the shitty launch lineup and year long drought followed by all the rough sales and doom and gloom headlines, it really did feel like it might be over.

sinseers

If this current generation has taught me anything it's that crazy trends can pop up out of nowhere. I am glad some people saved the 2006 and 2007 articles. Please do so for this year and 2014 as they may come in mighty handy down the line.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, that Kagari post. COMPLETE WITH A LIGHTENING AVATAR.

Not an article, but Amir0x rant was pretty awesome.

Dramatic reading edition.
0jlMs6H.jpg

I'm still waiting on that MGS4 on 360, hehe.

Man, this is amazing. I remember before the previews of Haze, that I thought this might have been an interesting game. Boy, I was so wrong. Shame it killed Free Radical in the long run, with the help of Lucasarts.

A picture of the PS3 should be featured alongside the video game entry for Pyrrhic victory. Maybe the Vita will replace that eventually. Still, good on Sony for keeping it from sinking.

PS3 was TERRIBLE at first. Got mine in February 2007. This was all I had that year:

- Resistance Fall of Man Multiplayer (pretty cool but nobody had a mic)
- Motorstorm demo (hey it was better than Gran Turismo Prologue)
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma (thank god for this game)
- Virtua Fighter 5 vanilla version with no online play
- Warhawk which was really cool for like an hour
- Call of Duty 4 (thank god for this as well)
- The original Uncharted with plastic graphics, simple puzzles, and as much if not more shooting than Uncharted 2. Also jetski level
- And a version of the Orange Box with a practically unplayable version of Team Fortress 2

So just think twice when you complain about a launch that will have a 60 FPS 64-player Battlefield game, a handful of indies, a full blown Killzone, Watch Dogs, a driving sim with high production values, a full blown Assassin's Creed, a new CoD, e.t.c. because the PS4's launch day lineup alone already trumps the PS3's entire first 12 months.

Wait, um... notsureifserious.gif?

You're complaining because all you had to play was Orange Box, Uncharted, Warhawk etc? I'd be cool playing most of the games on that list today, in 2007 Uncharted was a revelation! If you said "all I had to play on PS3 at first was Heavenly Sword and Lair" I'd get it.

Oni Jazar

PS3 was TERRIBLE at first. Got mine in February 2007. This was all I had that year:

- Resistance Fall of Man Multiplayer (pretty cool but nobody had a mic)
- Motorstorm demo (hey it was better than Gran Turismo Prologue)
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma (thank god for this game)
- Virtua Fighter 5 vanilla version with no online play
- Warhawk which was really cool for like an hour
- Call of Duty 4 (thank god for this as well)
- The original Uncharted with plastic graphics, simple puzzles, and as much if not more shooting than Uncharted 2. Also jetski level
- And a version of the Orange Box with a practically unplayable version of Team Fortress 2

So just think twice when you complain about a launch that will have a 60 FPS 64-player Battlefield game, a handful of indies, a full blown Killzone, Watch Dogs, a driving sim with high production values, a full blown Assassin's Creed, a new CoD, e.t.c. because the PS4's launch day lineup alone already trumps the PS3's entire first 12 months.

Shut your dirty whore mouth about Warhawk.

Savitar

For so many years we had that chalkboard image of what would save the PS3, none of those games did on their own but collectively they helped. The Blu ray coming out on top over HD DVD really did help, especially for PS3 sales as it's widely considered the best blu ray player. Even then it's only within the last year the PS3 made it to a point they were able to get pass the 360, up until then the overall mood towards the system was definitely.....shall we say melancholy.

With the news of the sales and the fact that Sony had a balls busting E3 while MS floundered so horrible some people are certainly tooting their horn. But then for the last number of years they haven't had much to really celebrate without being dogged by a lot of stupid ideas and blunders on Sony's behalf while MS was seemingly on a roll amassing good will.

Top Bottom