• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Down Memory Lane : Revisiting the ps3 doom and gloom articles

lefantome

They were completely right and what happened in the first years was pretty clear but then microsoft decided to not sell xbox 360 at an aggressive price point and shifted gaming investments to kinect.

Comsider that most of the consoles sold are less than 4 years old.

see5harp

There are countless other threads regarding ps3's doom and gloom. All these guys needed to do was just look at worldwide sales figures and the exchange rate that was hurting SONY. However , we don't see that many articles on x360 being third in console race though

Yes the exchange rate was why PS3 was selling so poorly.

No the exchange rates were hurting Sony, is what he said.

The PS3 sold poorly initially because of $599, its esoteric hardware forcing many games to go Xbox exclusive and poor multiplats.

Sony did a bang up job turning things around, but a the time it certainly did look dire indeed.

Burai

shitonmychest57
That´s not what i have said. And way to ignore that Sony manufactures BR discs, and sell BR players.

So do a lot of other people. And there's even more with their fingers in the pie taking that licensing money.

Toshiba had far more invested in HD-DVD than Sony have ever had in Blu-ray.

So do a lot of other people. And there's even more with their fingers in the pie taking that licensing money.

Toshiba had far more invested in HD-DVD than Sony have ever had in Blu-ray.

You avoid what i say to try and prove your agenda. And you are still talking about only licensing and ignoring the other benefits that BR brought to Sony. Ok then.

see5harp

No the exchange rates were hurting Sony, is what he said.

The PS3 sold poorly initially because of $599, its esoteric hardware forcing many games to go Xbox exclusive and poor multiplats.

Sony did a bang up job turning things around, but a the time it certainly did look dire indeed.

I agree with that, but it seems like the OP is attempting to deflect blame on exchange rates and global sales numbers. Even if Sony as a whole was doing poorly, most gaming websites would not have said a damn thing if the PS3 were actually selling well and moving quality software early on. The price was too high, the games just weren't there, and the online sucked. It's easy to look back in retrospect and say I told you so. People could just as easily dug up a bunch of articles prior to the 360 launch and threads from PS3 E3 unveil and laugh at the people there.

krae_man

Sony got blasted hard. Every game that came out had to be the best game ever made to justify the PS3's price tag or it was total shit and the PS3 was a failure. People probably would have shit on The Last of Us if it came out back then.

That could be what Microsoft is in for. Every game will have to be amazing to justify Kinect and the infinite power of the cloud and the $500 price point.

Burai

shitonmychest57
You avoid what i say to try and prove your agenda. And you are still talking about only licensing and ignoring the other benefits that BR brought to Sony. Ok then.

What agenda? What benefits?

There really isn't much point in arguing with him, he's set in his views regardless of the evidence presented.

What evidence?

The evidence where the money made by Sony from Blu-ray that offsets all of the losses made by PS3? Yeah, I'd love to see that.

Taurus

Yeah, let´s forget that the PS3 won Sony the HD format which gave Sony plenty of money from royalties, BR disc manufacturing, and BR players sales, and build very good first party studios.
Exactly how much money has Sony gained from Blu-ray? Because as far as I know, there's Blu-ray association behind the format which includes several companies, and Sony is only one of the many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

Sony looked rough as fuck at the beginning of this gen. They really turned it around 3 or 4 years into it(I think the year Uncharted 2 came out was the turning point for the PS3). But circa 2007 I probably would have bet on Sony getting demolished in the gaming race.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Wait, um... notsureifserious.gif?

You're complaining because all you had to play was Orange Box, Uncharted, Warhawk etc? I'd be cool playing most of the games on that list today, in 2007 Uncharted was a revelation! If you said "all I had to play on PS3 at first was Heavenly Sword and Lair" I'd get it.

Uncharted was cool for one playthrough, it didn't even have trophies. And of course no multiplayer or co-op. Warhawk was shit imo but I can appreciate that it had fans. Orange Box wasn't anything special considered I had already played HL2 and Episode One many times over by that time.

edit: Battlefield 4 alone will satiate me more than all three of those titles you mentioned combined at their best.

StoopKid

yea it was pretty bad back in 07.

you would have thought sony was going out of business , reading some of the comments in 07.

Shayan

Banned

see this is what happens when people have no idea about what they are quoting and wants to make a quote for the sake of making a statement. I meant because the exchange rate SONY wasnt making as much money as they anticipated by selling their products to US . Had the exchange rate been better SONY's gaming division could have posted profit even during turbulent times. As for PS3 selling poorly, it might been outsold by X360 in US but it had always outsold x360 globally except for 1/2 random years if i am not wrong

Is Sony's Playstation 3 the Next Sega Saturn?
(via PC-World, but the link is dead)

Isnt PCWorld owned by MS?

Uncharted was cool for one playthrough, it didn't even have trophies.
edit: Battlefield 4 alone will satiate me more than all three of those titles you mentioned combined at their best.

Lol uncharted is plastic and BF is better than all those titles? UC2 was gaf's goty and arguably the best game of last gen . UC2 won 150 goty awards . I can bet my account at GAF that BF1 -BF10 wont get 150 goty awards combined like UC2

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Lol uncharted is plastic and BF is better than all those titles? UC2 was gaf's goty and arguably the best game of last gen . UC2 won 150 goty awards . I can bet my account at GAF that BF1 -BF10 wont get 150 goty awards combined like UC2

Excuse me, I was talking the original Uncharted, not UC2 which was a superb game.

I wouldn't go so far as to call the original Uncharted bad either, but it didn't have much appeal beyond that initial playthrough. Although I guess a few people liked playing through Crushing.

Shayan

Banned
Excuse me, I was talking the original Uncharted, not UC2 which was a superb game.

I wouldn't go so far as to call the original Uncharted bad either, but it didn't have much appeal beyond that initial playthrough. Although I guess a few people liked playing through Crushing.

Original Uncharted is an awesome game too (in my opinion)but we all have our own preferences so our opinions would vary for sure.

ctothej

I didn't get a PS3 until 2011. Honestly, these articles weren't that out of line. I don't think most people had a reason to buy one until like, 2009.

Another thing I always find funny is how the drop in sales from PS2 to PS3 will end up being much smaller than the drop from the DS to the 3DS and yet none of the hyperbole around the supposed doom for the PS3 ever hit that system.

What the fuck is this, lol.

Every single sales thread outside of media create usually has people discussing how the 3DS' market has dramatically shrunk and nobody in the press ever even discusses handhelds other than to say that Nintendo should stop making hardware. It's probably going to be a big disappointment and will still do far better than the PS3 in terms of not losing billions and billions.

beast786

My fav

Couldn't go to XMB while playing game , hence can't answer a message from friend during game

No background downloading

Thank God to comletition , PSN has improved Day and night since its launch.

C-DubSP

Neo Member
It just goes to show no one stays down forever. In this coming generation i approach the consoles the same way I did then, considering the long term potential of them. I think most do so, and ultimately don't write off any console as quick as some in the press does.

Toxa

Not an article, but Amir0x rant was pretty awesome.

Dramatic reading edition.
0jlMs6H.jpg

thank you, amazing best post ever

Top Bottom