• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the advantage of multitouch screen if it's going to increase the price point. I haven felt even once that it would improve the experience in all this years of DS family and Wii U gaming. Not worrh the hassle.

Multi touch isn't new tech anymore, I highly doubt it increases the price at all.

Heck I'd guess resistive would be more expensive since they're rarely bought in but anymore.

Neoxon

Im not sure what i expect really, but the second one i wouldnt be surprised, the first one i would. In all honesty, that sounds like typical Nintendo reasoning for not showing off BOTW NX screenshots yet. Have to get their "message" right.
Or, & hear me out on this, maybe they're waiting for the NX reveal before they show NX footage of BotW.

Rodin

Im not sure what i expect really, but the second one i wouldnt be surprised, the first one i would. In all honesty, that sounds like typical Nintendo reasoning for not showing off BOTW NX screenshots yet. Have to get their "message" right.

What are you talking about? Matt told us that NX isn't less powerful than Wii U last july.

It's not.

and the new eurogamer info about Tegra X1 corroborates that even without considering that thrustworthy people are saying that the chip is actually Pascal based, which is even more modern (hell, it's not even out yet). What Nintendo did in the past isn't necessarily what they're doing now, in fact this silly line of thinking needs to stop.

ggx2ac

Of course you wouldn't be surprised. But you are thinking that for the wrong reasons.

I would be surprised if the NX is weaker than a Wii U because that means Nintendo learned nothing when they had every bit of trouble they had with having to develop 3D games for 2 different systems and having the Wii U become their biggest failure of a console.

I've said this before but seriously, they merged their hardware divisions and Genyo Takeda is just a 'fellow' not managing the division. Are you telling me they decided at their meetings that they should become a failure again merging their devices into one -> a hybrid but decide that it should be weaker than a Wii U even though there is tech we just looked at for months that is way stronger than a Wii U and powerful for portable hardware?

It makes sense that Nintendo repeated the same things when the Wii succeeded when they created the Wii U because they thought there were no concerns.

How would they have no concerns now going from the 3DS and Wii U to NX? That doesn't make sense, they may as well go third party if they can't solve their own problems. (Oh wait they did technically with mobile, the point still stands.)

ozfunghi

The highlighted would make sense if the NX is a 2016 available product.

The main stream audience will buy whatever product picks their interest during the 2016 holiday shopping season, one in which the NX won't be available.

And ozfunghi, your mind set actually affects Nintendo. To better explain, a pre holiday unveil affects Nintendo more than the competition. The people that will surely hold up purchase money for the NX are the ones interested in Nintendo products in the first place.

Moreover, the consumers you are talking about (the valure oriented ones) will favor Sony and MS offerings because these companies will offer better prices and bigger catalogue of games. The ones that would pick up an NX are either the NIntendo or "New Gadget" oriented.

No. The consumer that still hasn't bought a PS4 or XBO after 3 years but is on the lookout for a new gaming system, is very well a potential consumer. NX will offer something new and different, so you have no basis to state that it will only appeal to Nintendo die hards and gadget freaks. If the rumors from ArcadeGirl do have merrit, then so do those where she claims that there is already more quality software for NX than there ever was for WiiU. Reports (Eurogamer iirc) are claiming the price will be much lower than what would be anticipated, so there is no reason to assume that NX could not appeal to that kind of consumer. So no, waiting until millions of "on the fence" gamers bought their new system, is not a good idea.

I think capacitive is a given if the rumors of NX support for Nintendo's mobile titles have any weight.
That report likely meant being compatible with mobile title as in using data from those games to improve applications or games on NX (Animal crossing Go->Animal Crossing Newer leaf; Miitomo->MiiMaker )

This thread blows my mind.

For months I've been saying "The NX portable should have a 720p screen. It should be more powerful than the Wii U, and it should be able to run games at native 720p." And everyone was like "Nah bro, it's gonna be 540p. Don't you know this is Nintendo? Don't you know the Vita couldn't hit its native resolution half the time?"

And now that I get a rumor agreeing with me, everyone's all "720p? That's like a baby's toy!"

I'd kill to get what some of these people are smoking. Do they honestly think that a <$300 handheld with a decent battery life is gonna be able to play modern games, with all the bells and whistles and special effects expected of them, at native 1080p?

360793.jpg

It really bothers me that you don't have Homer saying no in the last panel.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If the retail unit is 6.2inches then it's the same size as the one in the WiiU gamepad.

I can't see it being much smaller then this:

Not exactly super portable.

If the retail unit is 6.2inches then it's the same size as the one in the WiiU gamepad.

Well, people have smartphones for their daily fast gaming needs now.

It's the question if there is a market for a larger device filling the gap between smartphones and console gaming.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
That has massive bezels though. It's closer to the size of a 9-inch tablet.

Those joysticks and buttons need to go somewhere...

Whichever way they do it. A device with physical controls and a 6.2 inch screen isn't going in your pocket.

takriel

It could be a lot smaller tbh. All this extra space left and right to the screen could be reduced dramatically with newer tech.

Are we really having expectations below 720p? Wow lol

Absolutely. This is Nintendo we're talking about. The company that released a handheld with a 240p screen in 2011 and still does it today. The company that released the GamePad with a 480p screen in 2012, despite tablets already having Full HD screens at that time.

Rodin

When we were convinced that the NX was a family of consoles that shared the same architecture, OS and library, we were guessing a 4.8-5" 540p screen for the handheld to save on cost, battery life and SoC (a less powerful chip would've been enough to handle that resolution with WiiU-like graphics). As a hybrid it didn't make any sense to go lower than 6-7", and with that size anything less than 720p would have looked like crap.

It can be much smaller than the Wii U frankenpad.

Can't be much less wide when assembled but doesn't need to be as tall. The depth should all be in the controllers to keep the central section thin (no 'shelf')

If extreme portability is a concern, then it's worth remembering it doesn't all have to fit in the same pocket ;)

KAL2006

Banned

Yuck thay thing gave me hand cramps holding something that big for more than half hour just wasn't comfortable.

Hopefully down the line they release a NX Micro that's 4.5 inch for handheld gamers. When the tech matures and becomes smaller and more efficient.

Oxn

It can be so, so much smaller.

Question is will nintendo put the money into making it smaller, or keeping it like a leapfrog plasticky toy.

KAL2006

Banned
It can be so, so much smaller.

Question is will nintendo put the money into making it smaller, or keeping it like a leapfrog plasticky toy.

Thing is it will always be so wide. Holding a controller that wide like the Wii U Pad felt so uncomfortable.

I would even prefer slide out or clamshell design or detachable controller at the bottom so it's less wide to hold.

I don't see too many people be over excited for the NX.

Just anxious for a reveal.

It seems like a great handheld but possibly a poor console. Which annoys people Who play mainly on home console.
This is not my case.

However I'm waiting for a little something to get excited. Games.

Of course we are. Letting aside this is Nintendo we're talking about, that's the Vita's resolution which is far and away sufficient for any portable console. More resolution requires more power to render native games, which in turn results in less battery life.

Frankly the Vita form factor and particularly screen size and resolution is perfect as far as I'm concerned (it just needs an L2/R2). I can't see how a 6.2" screen plus pad/analogs/buttons isn't going to result in a monstrosity. I don't want to go around carrying a Wii U gamepad.

I'm fine with all of that, but would hope for the 4 usb and 1080p on the big screen. They really wouldn't port over Smash 4 without 1080p. Would make 8 player smash a mess for 1.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Those joysticks and buttons need to go somewhere...

Whichever way they do it. A device with physical controls and a 6.2 inch screen isn't going in your pocket.

I'm not arguing that it will, but it's still possible to make it noticeably smaller than the gamepad. I'm talking like an inch on every side.

KingBroly

Banned
Thing is it will always be so wide. Holding a controller that wide like the Wii U Pad felt so uncomfortable.

I would even prefer slide out or clamshell design or detachable controller at the bottom so it's less wide to hold.

Well, I think Nintendo's thinking is that if you take this on the go, you're going to take it without the traditional controller parts. While that would reduce its' size by 3-4 inches, it would mean no traditional gameplay on the go.

No. The consumer that still hasn't bought a PS4 or XBO after 3 years but is on the lookout for a new gaming system, is very well a potential consumer. NX will offer something new and different, so you have no basis to state that it will only appeal to Nintendo die hards and gadget freaks.
The highlighted is an statement invented by you ozfunghi since you are taking context away. i would like to clearly state that wasn't what the posted you responded to meant.

In the first place, we are talking about the potential impact the NX reveal date could have in Nintendo's fincancials if it happens pre or post holiday season and the fact that NX is not 2016 product. With this in mind the Value Oriented consumer is a non factor:
  • 1. Because if he is in the market for a video game product you can't expect then to come home empty handed from a holiday season and wait 4 months for a product.
  • 2. A product that in the first place this type of buyer won't be probably aware of during holidays.

Seems to me the "Right now or is too late" mind set comes more from the desire of Nintendo gaming enthusiast more than what the general public thinks or what exactly would be the most wise and logical decision for the company.

But hey, if it ends up been September the better for me personally. XD

cyberheater

I'm not arguing that it will, but it's still possible to make it noticeably smaller than the gamepad. I'm talking like an inch on every side.

I agree.

Yuck thay thing gave me hand cramps holding something that big for more than half hour just wasn't comfortable.

Hopefully down the line they release a NX Micro that's 4.5 inch for handheld gamers. When the tech matures and becomes smaller and more efficient.

Yep. It's a possibility.

The other option is that it just turns into a tablet for Pokemon Go types games.

Galang

Banned

For months I've been saying "The NX portable should have a 720p screen. It should be more powerful than the Wii U, and it should be able to run games at native 720p." And everyone was like "Nah bro, it's gonna be 540p. Don't you know this is Nintendo? Don't you know the Vita couldn't hit its native resolution half the time?"

And now that I get a rumor agreeing with me, everyone's all "720p? That's like a baby's toy!"

I'd kill to get what some of these people are smoking. Do they honestly think that a <$300 handheld with a decent battery life is gonna be able to play modern games, with all the bells and whistles and special effects expected of them, at native 1080p?

I completely agree with what you're saying. This thread took a weird turn. I'm one of those people that would be surprised if this thing even goes above 540p and now people are saying 720 is horrible?... Blows my mind. If this rumour is true it sounds good to me

KAL2006

Banned
Something the size of Wii U Pad may impact portable gamers. Although 3DS XL is big it had the clamshell form factor which made it quote portable.

i'm wondering if some games with touch only controls could allow you to take it out without the controllers, it'd probably be just about pocketable as a screen only i'm guessing

MuchoMalo

Banned
What if we've been looking at this the wrong way the entire time? What if this is only meant to replace consoles with something more Japan-friendly and a smaller, weaker handheld will come later?

i'm wondering if some games with touch only controls could allow you to take it out without the controllers, it'd probably be just about pocketable as a screen only i'm guessing
That's not that hard to imagine.

If Nintendo includes index operated buttons (shoulder ones probably) in the frame that holds the screen, then you can suplement the thumb operated inputs with on screen Virtual Buttons since on the go the user interaction with the device will have them looking at the screen in the first place.

So in this way, the size foot print is reduced by detaching the controllers while having enough functionality to play more complex games than normal touch screen only mobile ones. That would be a possibility for gaming on the go.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'd prefer smaller and 540p to the 1080p upscale. We'll see if these rumors amount to anything, prototypes can change wildly if they're even true.

It's almost like this "everyone" you're referring to is actually two separate set of posters and not actually a collective whole. &#129300;

cyberheater

Yes. That's what I'm thinking too.

watershed

Banned
I think the relatively large screen size is a good thing but I hope the bezel and overall casing are better designed and more aesthetically pleasing than the WiiU gamepad which just screams cheap both to look and touch.

Neff

6.2" and adding the size of the controllers... so much for portable

I don't think it'll be portable enough to fit in your pocket, in fact I'm sure it won't.

It sounds like it'll be portable in the way you can have it lying around like a tablet, or throw it in a bag to take round your buddy's house for a game of Splatoon.

hokahey

I don't think it'll be portable enough to fit in your pocket, in fact I'm sure it won't.

It sounds like it'll be portable in the way you can have it lying around like a tablet, or throw it in a bag to take round your buddy's house for a game of Splatoon.

I'm almost in disbelief anyone thought this thing would fit in their pocket, or that portable automatically meant pocket sized. My damn phone barely fits in my pocket! This has two controllers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom