• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX prototype had a 6.2" 720p multi-touch screen, 2 USB ports on dock

Status
Not open for further replies.
What lesson is learned from the failure of the wiiu by making a hybrid? "If only our failed console could be toted around cumbersomely, it would resonate with consumers"?

10000mAh battery ain't gonna happen. I'm expecting 3000-4000mAh at the most.

The Wii U gamepad's official extended life battery is something like 2700mAh for reference.

vgamer1

10000mAh battery ain't gonna happen. I'm expecting 3000-4000mAh at the most.

The Wii U gamepad's official extended life battery is something like 2700mAh for reference.

The Wii U gamepad also isn't a standalone portable device - completely different ballgame.

ggx2ac

What lesson is learned from the failure of the wiiu by making a hybrid? "If only our failed console could be toted around cumbersomely, it would resonate with consumers"?

Hmm... Let's see where do we begin.

The Nintendo 3DS had a shit launch comprised of mediocre 3rd party titles and an expensive price for the handheld because Nintendo thought that Glasses-Free 3D would have been the next Wii Remote.

They ended up having to move a lot of their resources to release strong first party titles immediately because 3DS wasn't doing so well in its first year, historically, handhelds are their bread and butter when it comes to revenue. They even did a price cut not long after launch which caused Nintendo financial losses.

Having moved all their resources to make strong first party 3DS titles left a lack of resources for the Wii U in which Nintendo suffered from HD development because they had never prepared for it.

Wii U ends up with a launch of NintendoLand and New Super Mario Bros U which didn't look significantly different from its Wii predecessor. They were banking on Nintendoland to be the Wii Sports of the Wii U, sales shit the bed again and Nintendo panics by showing in January 2013 all the titles they have planned for release which funnily enough finished at the end of last year with the release of TMS #FE in Japan.

The Wii U continuously suffered droughts due to lack of third party support while the 3DS pulled strong every year because it was easier to develop for in comparison and had Japanese 3rd party support.

The point is, unlike the Wii and DS. They were not prepared for the 3DS and Wii U. They can't handle supporting vastly different 3D graphics platforms because it stretches their resources too thin. You can see this with Sony, look at how much first party support is given to the Vita.

So what point is there in Nintendo making the exact same consoles again? If you think they found some magic formula then I've got some magic beans that I'd like to sell you.

There is a risk with making this hybrid since the current rumours point it to being a powerful handheld but a weak console, do you think Nintendo would choose the other way around when they have to compete with Sony and Microsoft?

One idea is that it's easier making a hyrbid because with multiple form factors they can release a console that's just a PS Vita TV equivalent of NX. They can't spread their resources thin so it's easier to have one platform with multiple form factors that has a shared software library than to do the same shit last gen.

They might not get AAA Western games but, the NX is reflected off the current times and with having a powerful portable, it is easier getting third party support from mobile game developers than it is from AAA western publishers.

I've already seen now that some people are putting aside their irrational hate of mobile games because Platinum Games is making a mobile game. That's pretty telling that people will play games on whatever platform from their favourite third party.

I can't be bothered saying anymore because I already talked about what can be done to the size of the NX with regards to bulk in earlier pages.

One thing that bothers me about the detachable controllers:

One has an analogue and 4 buttons. The other has an analogue stick and a dpad, making it pretty useless.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

One has an analogue and 4 buttons. The other has an analogue stick and a dpad, making it pretty useless.
One can always use the stick as 4 buttons and the d-pad as a stick.
failed joke attempt

ggx2ac

I know this was speculated before, what if: The detachable controllers are also customisable? It feels like when looking at the patent with the "empty controllers" and the patent where you switch a D-pad for buttons.

If you look at them in combination, It seems that's something you could actually do.

The way I understand it is that it is a single controller split in 2 parts. Attached to the screen part for handheld mode, attached together to form a regular controller for console mode. Or not attached, like wiimote and nunchuk.
For console mode local multiplayer , you'll buy an extra controller, or the friend that has an NX will use his one.
Dunno. Seems to be the most simple explanation.

Speely

Banned
I know this was speculated before, what if: The detachable controllers are also customisable? It feels like when looking at the patent with the "empty controllers" and the patent where you switch a D-pad for buttons.

If you look at them in combination, It seems that's something you could actually do.

Especially for the dpad and buttons since they could both conceivably use modules without electronics as per the patent describing the ir light-reflecting button model.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1261569

Edit: there could be a ton of simple modules that don't rely on internal circuitry and are thus cheap to make. Games could come with special adapters because they could just be pieces of plastic. Who the hell knows? If the NX were to use this kind of approach, however, I think it would make a lot of sense.

BONKERS

720p, if true 1280x720 at 6" for a handheld would be perfect!
Great performance/iq ratio. It's not retina, but that's irrelevant. Retina doesn't stop aliasing from being a problem.

gogogow

720p, if true 1280x720 at 6" for a handheld would be perfect!
Great performance/iq ratio. It's not retina, but that's irrelevant. Retina doesn't stop aliasing from being a problem.
Retina display is something Apple came up with. From iPad 3 onwards, the ppi has been 263, which is just a lil bit higher than the supposed 236 ppi NX display. So this IS a Retina display.

You are right to be bothered, why would they ever use that setup? :) The only games in general that actually use both an analogue stick and a d-pad at the same time use the d-pad purely as extra buttons, and Nintendo prefers simpler controls, so no need for a controller with both on it.

Much more likely for it to be basically two identical controllers on either side of the screen. Think of a device with two Wii Remotes, except each one is a bit wider, with an analog stick instead of d-pad, and 4 face buttons instead of 2. The controller on the right attaches upside-down, so the 4 face buttons are at the top, second analogue stick at the bottom. They can be attached the opposite way, for left-handed mode, or for two analogue sticks across from each other.
Possibly they could have a second optional attachable controller that would replace one of the normal ones, that replaces the analogue stick with a d-pad to be even more Wii-Remote-like for games that would work better with d-pad. It's more likely for them to have entirely different controllers you can mix and match than replaceable/loseable/damagable parts for customizable controllers.

Branduil

The reason all controllers still have D-pads even though 90% of new games just use them as buttons is because some games still need D-pads to be playable. This is especially true on the NX which will have virtual console games and all sorts of retro games. Seriously, there is a 99.9% chance the left half of the controller will have a D-pad.

Wil348

They could make it so that the d-pad on the left half acts as another set of face buttons when detached from the screen.

11redder

I'm laughing now thinking how Trev wanted to stop all discussion about Parker because he concluded it's for cars but when the DMP M3000 has similar applications for gaming and automotive... Well it's not hard to point out its okay for him to approve of DMP M3000 for a handheld because it fits his M.O. on NX being an AMD home console for some arbitrary reason, lol.

Yes, I know that Parker is designed for cars. Duh, it's obviously made for cars. The base design is still a Tegra GPU that can be used for any application including gaming. It was confirmed in the above quote that it can be used for AR/VR.

I think this was already obvious for some of you but, I remember seeing some people jump to the conclusion that there's only Parker and somehow that invalidates Nvidia from being able to use Tegra GPUs for games. lol

https://youtu.be/0tXU3ZKpQmM

It all fits - the Tegra X2 is designed for cars, this model is mobile, has two controllers, a cartridge slot, and the projectors mentioned in the rumour from a few weeks back, and it obviously has appeal for families. The NX will evidently be a hybrid variant of this early prototype.

Dunno how they'll manage to price it at $200 to $250 mind - but that fits the rumour of Nvidia cutting them a good deal.

Narroo

6.2 inch 720p screen seems a bit much for a handheld...

Maybe, but people will never stop complaining unless they have a quantifiably 'true HD" screen. To be fair, if it does output to a TV, 720p would be a good idea, since you don't want to have completely disparate resolutions in the different modes, and everything supports at least 720p nowadays.

6.2 inch is way too big. Even the 5" Vita is too big with the controller. Why make it portable if the whole package is so big.

And no people don't carry 6" 7" tablets. This is not 2013.

jdstorm

Banned
I'm guessing 720p is probably the cheapest screen availiable. There wouldn't be too many smart devices with 540p screens. 768p is probably too exotic, and 1080p too power intensive.

ozfunghi

That's just the topping.

But the combination of 800GF + Nvidia flops are better than AMDs talk is pretty much a revival of the old WiiU threads.

No it's not. 800Gflops is what Nvidia basically says in the specs (1.5TF at half precision). And generally, Nvidia get more performance out of their flops than AMD, not by magic or special sauce, but because AMD - or so i have been told by people more knowledgable than me in a non-Nintendo oriented discussion - appoints more SPU's towards compute than Nvidia does in comparison. EDIT: meaning less of those flops go towards shiny graphics.

Peterc

The reason all controllers still have D-pads even though 90% of new games just use them as buttons is because some games still need D-pads to be playable. This is especially true on the NX which will have virtual console games and all sorts of retro games. Seriously, there is a 99.9% chance the left half of the controller will have a D-pad.

I don't like 2D games with 3d stick, it's bad.

For example fighting games

Every device, input has their own advantage

EMILY - Email 8.27.2016: The big question about resolution.

email.png

Hi Emily,

I was wondering if you could clarify on the NX touchscreen having a 720p resolution. I was honestly expecting Nintendo to cheap out on the screen with a 540p resolution.

— Mark H.

Emily Rogers:

That is correct. I heard that the NX’s touchscreen in the prototypes / development kits had 720p resolution. It’s unknown whether the NX’s portable touchscreen can provide better resolutions than 720p. Reminder: Nintendo is trying to balance performance with battery life on this device.

The Wii U supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. The NX is more powerful than what the Wii U can currently offer.

Here’s my guess/theory: Maybe the NX portable’s touchscreen is 720p to increase battery life, but it can *potentially* output at 1080p on the big screen television when connected to the dock? That is just a guess or a theory. I’m not passing this off as a fact, rumor, or insider knowledge.

When Nvidia released the Shield Portable in 2013, it was a $199 product that offered 1280 x 720 px (294 ppi) resolution. That was three years ago.

And speaking of Nvidia…

nvidia.jpg

Does anyone remember this old NX survey from January 2016? (Source)

– Gameplay flows between NX console and NX handheld device.

– Supports 4k/60 fps video streaming.

– Gameplay graphics at 900p / 60fps

FYI: The Nvidia Shield, a $200 product, supported 4k video streaming and 4k playback. Eurogamer reported that Nvidia will be powering this portable Nintendo hybrid device.

Wouldn’t it be super hilarious if there was a teeny tiny bit of truth to that old January 2016 survey? I have no idea if NX will support 4k video streaming, but it’s interesting to wonder whether that survey had any accurate information.

Since we’re on the topic of 720p vs 1080, let’s take a quick stroll down memory lane with the Wii U. The majority of Wii U games were 720p — not 1080p.

xenoblade-6.gif

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 720p & 30 FPS (Source)

Bayonetta 2: 720p & 60 FPS (Source)

Xenoblade Chronicles X: 720p & 30 FPS (Source)

Super Mario 3D World: 720p & 60 FPS (Source)

Mario Kart 8: 720p & 60 FPS (Source)

Pikmin 3: 720p, outputs in 1080p (Source)

Splatoon: 720p & 60 FPS (Source)

Captain Toad:Treasure Tracker: 720p & 60 FPS (Source)

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 1080p & 60 FPS (Source)

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: 720p & 60 FPS (Source)

Nintendo Land: 720p & 60 FPS (Source)

New Super Mario Bros U: 720p & 60 FPS (Source)

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/08/27/email-8-27-2016-the-big-question-about-resolution/

No it's not. 800Gflops is what Nvidia basically says in the specs (1.5TF at half precision). And generally, Nvidia get more performance out of their flops than AMD, not by magic or special sauce, but because AMD - or so i have been told by people more knowledgable than me in a non-Nintendo oriented discussion - appoints more SPU's towards compute than Nvidia does in comparison. EDIT: meaning less of those flops go towards shiny graphics.

Live in your dream world.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
6.2 inch is way too big. Even the 5" Vita is too big with the controller. Why make it portable if the whole package is so big.

And no people don't carry 6" 7" tablets. This is not 2013.

Get a sleek case and carry it with your other things. It's not that hard. People on here act as if a portable device needs to fit in your pocket. It doesn't.

ozfunghi

Live in your dream world.

Ok, so you're an expert? Maybe respond with some arguments or facts instead of this drivel.

This is the maximum possible performance, to expect from the Pascal Tegra. Not necessarilly what the NX will be capable of doing. But if that chip makes it inside without being gimped and at full speed (in dock mode), then that is indeed what you can expect. Graphical performance not far from what the XBO is able to pull off... which falls in line with what Emily Rogers said 3 months ago, around the same time OsirisBlack said ports would not be a problem form a technical point of view.

Turrican3

If it is revealed that the NX is an ARM/DMP GPU Handheld and with a x86/AMD GPU Home Console coming along another year, I would die of laughter.
This wouldn't necessarily translate into another 3DS/WiiU droughts scenario though, assuming the home console shares its library with the portable, that is.

120v

i don't think "portability" is really a factor anymore. people are accustomed to carrying around just one pocketable device now, so whether a secondary device is the size of a DS lite or a standard tablet, it's going to be considered unwieldy regardless. if somebody really wants to game on the go they'll settle for a tablet

also i think the selling point of this thing isn't strictly "game on the go" but being able to move it to another tv (friend's house, hotel, ect) with relative ease

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so, how are games going to be sold? One single cart for both formats? Is this the end for the usual handheld/home console different boxes?

watershed

Banned
From what I've seen both in Japan and the US, people tend to keep their portables in a bag of some kind not in their pockets. So the NX could easily be around the wiiu gamepad size and still be portable. I don't think people will scoff if the NX can't fit in their pockets.

King_Moc

Banned
You guys need to see these devices to get an idea of what to expect from the NX. The JXD S192 tablet is powered by the Tegra K1 chipset and lets you play on a small 7" screen with 1,920 x 1,200px resolution.

Specs: http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/jxd-nvidia-s192-android-retro-gaming-tablet

This thing has a 6 hour battery for gaming, but the battery is 10000mAh. I think 6 hours is the best case scenario too.

The price is $300+

XBIji93.jpg

Worth bearing in mind that Nintendo can release something like this at a much lower profit margin as they make the money on the game sales. These guys most likely have a one off profit on the sale of the console so need to charge more.

KingBroly

Banned
so, how are games going to be sold? One single cart for both formats? Is this the end for the usual handheld/home console different boxes?

It's carts and digital. Because it's a portable.

Whatever the second device is, assuming it even exists, won't use a different storage media.

MuchoMalo

Banned
From what I've seen both in Japan and the US, people tend to keep their portables in a bag of some kind not in their pockets. So the NX could easily be around the wiiu gamepad size and still be portable. I don't think people will scoff if the NX can't fit in their pockets.

Even the original Game Boy didnt fit in your pocket. Portable gaming was always playing games without the need of a TV and on the go and not that the handhelds fit in your pockets.

Peltz

For the most part, most games will be 720p across the board. There will probably be some rare cases where games are downscaled from 1080p on the handheld or simply run at 720p on the go and 1080p in the dock (this is how I assume Smash will be handled) and even the rare port running at sub-720p from third-parties, but beyond that I'd say to expect 99% of games to be 720p. It's just easier.
I also suspect this is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom