• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

famousmortimer: Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grimløck;87825196 said:
Jeremy Conrad ‏@ManaByte 7m
"We won't review a Xbox One until the end of 2014...because by then the OS will work"

I wonder who he's quoting, or if he's pulling it out of his ass.
Sounds like he's just being funny.

Grimløck;87825196 said:
Jeremy Conrad ‏@ManaByte 7m
"We won't review a Xbox One until the end of 2014...because by then the OS will work"

I wonder who he's quoting, or if he's pulling it out of his ass.

Troll

My fear is that if they do well in a years time you will see loads of people going "see it didn't matter , people can't change anything and actually the ideas they had were good and so we will let them do it this time", if they still do gangbusters well out of the gate they will say that the negative campaign was a flash in a pan and move forward with the terrible ideas, and the publishers will follow (as they kinda wanted them)

That's possible but I don;t think they would be so blase about it if they have a rough start. Sony certainly learned their lesson after their slow start - and definitely caught up.

Faustek

Cheers. I made a dumb mistake. I'll most certainly make more dumb mistakes in the future. Live and learn.

We all do, heck I'm sure I've made a few just this recent week without realising it yet.

I don't want MS to leave the industry but I do want them to take a beating for the the Xbox One's truly awful original vision. They should have known better after seeing our reactions to the many rumors we had about the 'always online' and the used games restrictions. The whole thing is just baffling, and the horrendous PR afterwards made it worse.

This is pretty much it. Their original vision was so awful, to me that is, that it tipped the scales for me. Having a hard time finding replacements for everything I've been using in Windows(third party) that works as well in Linux. It's hard and many of things are only half done so a lot of coding from my part is needed. And I unfortunately don't have all the coding experience I believed myself to posses.

But I think I could forgive Microsoft if they just admitted how much they ffed up and asked for forgiveness or at least did an apology promising to actually have the consumer in first place when thinking about Money. Make no mistake, every company exists to make money even if they are an charity organizations. Even they exist to make money to help those in need.

And most of all, those rumours saying that all Microsoft studios are run by Suits without caring about gaming? Pretty sure we got that confirmed somewhere. Anyway replace them with people that actually care about gaming.

At this point maybe SwiftDeath or a mod could just make a new thread with the OP from this thread and SD's thread summary both in the OP? Would (hopefully) save a lot of "can someone catch me up?" posts, that is if people read the OP before posting anyway.

Dlacy13g

a company should be recognised for its successes, especially when it raises the bar for everyone. But that doesn't give them a free pass.

there is nothing wrong with a temporary monopoly (as unlikely as that is). We've had it before and new competition has emerged.

And there has been no free pass given to MS clearly. I still find it a sad statement on gaming that we have the rabid enthusiasts running around gleefully hoping for the utter failure of any platform and/or company. All of the big 3 have made good tangible contributions to the industry on many fronts. Losing even one of them would be bad to the long term health of the industry. And lets not forget most importantly the failure of any said 3 results in job loss on a large scale. I don't think any of us should be hoping to see industry laymen losing their jobs.

The only thing anyone should be hoping for in this next generation from a gamer point of view is the console or platform of their choice delivers them the kind of experience they want/expected to enjoy. If you have no skin in the game for another platform it shouldn't matter to you what they do.

kaskade

Dunlop

a company should be recognised for its successes, especially when it raises the bar for everyone. But that doesn't give them a free pass.

there is nothing wrong with a temporary monopoly (as unlikely as that is). We've had it before and new competition has emerged.

The backlash MS is receiving was for a vision they shared that consumers did not agree with, it never affected a single person. Imagine if this had happened when they announced LIVE with the OG Xbox (Broadband only!!!!!OMFG)

While I'm not saying it would have the same results, someone needs to take chances

I personally would have loved if they launched with the original idea and let the market decide instead we get 2 almost identical boxes with upped hardware specs that will play out the same formula that has been used for the last 7 years and it comes down to whether you prefer Halo or Uncharted

I am picking up a PS4 on day 1 but let's not pretend there is anything remotely innovative about it

I have played games and purchased consoles for over 30 years, I will be surprised if there is still 10 years left in the traditional console industry

At this point maybe SwiftDeath or a mod could just make a new thread with the OP from this thread and SD's thread summary both in the OP? Would (hopefully) save a lot of "can someone catch me up?" posts, that is if people read the OP before posting anyway.

I have pmed the OP to add my summary in or at least link to it but have heard nothing back

I'll pm a passing mod and see if its worth adding to OP in their opinion

Dragon

Banned
The backlash MS is receiving was for a vision they shared that consumers did not agree with, it never affected a single person. Imagine if this had happened when they announced LIVE with the OG Xbox (Broadband only!!!!!OMFG)

While I'm not saying it would have the same results, someone needs to take chances

I personally would have loved if they launched with the original idea and let the market decide instead we get 2 almost identical boxes with upped hardware specs that will play out the same formula that has been used for the last 7 years and it comes down to whether you prefer Halo or Uncharted

I am picking up a PS4 on day 1 but let's not pretend there is anything remotely innovative about it

I have played games and purchased consoles for over 30 years, I will be surprised if there is still 10 years left in the traditional console industry

Screwing over your customer base is innovative now. Awesome.

Crackbone

Do you even realize that the box is not even out yet? I understand being upset with the changes they tried to make with DRM and always online. Preorder numbers suggest they are in bad position in relation to competition, but the level of criticism from pre launch twitter questions and rumor seem extraordinary. The system is coming out in 3 weeks. They will need to address questions of real importance post launch when people are actually using the system. If you aren't buying the thing and don't think them leaving the industry would be a negative thing, why the fuck would anyone be breaking their backs to appease your wishes?

Pretty simple, because I'd like to buy one. I've supported MS since the OG Xbox. Was a beta tester for Live. I've been there with them since day one.

This will be the first console generation that I haven't owned a Microsoft console @ launch.

The level of criticism they've received is justified. Underpowered hardware and a vision that doesn't align with core gamers. What do you expect the reaction to be?

Their failure of a PR campaign that's designed to hoodwink and sidestep questions only makes it worse.

unwound

Neo Member
MS has changed their focus though (For now). They got rid of DRM. They responded to consumer backlash, and Sony's competition and have responded accordingly.

Not defending them by any stretch, but they are essentially doing exactly what they need to do to stay competitive.

For your analysis to hold, it requires the fundamental products themselves to be comparable. The situation we may have here, going from cboat's revelations and jackfrag's recent tweet, is an offering with inferior hardware, a substantially paywalled software environment, and an extra $100 price tag to boot. It certainly helps MS' cause to remove some of the objectionable aspects, but it's not enough if the product itself isn't up to scratch.

The bottom line is that engaging in competition and actually being "competitive" are two different things.

Verendus

Banned
Do you understand the full implications of trying to implement a similar DRM system to Microsoft? Especially in regards to some of the markets where SCE operates and gets a substantial amount of marketshare? And I could go on and on and sound even more condescending.

The fact that people still say this when the head of SCE has basically said it was never even an option just amazes me. Not to mention, how idiotic someone has to be to believe that SCE were still not decided as late as February as to what to do with DRM, neglecting how much of a ball ache it would be to try and implement something like that as a last minute thing.

You're free to believe though.

But I think I could forgive Microsoft if they just admitted how much they ffed up and asked for forgiveness or at least did an apology promising to actually have the consumer in first place when thinking about Money. Make no mistake, every company exists to make money even if they are an charity organizations. Even they exist to make money to help those in need.
I agree. But instead of an apology we get 'our vision was just too far into the future for people to accept, but we'll get there some day' kind of statements.

sTaTIx

MS have announced 15 games from launch to the end of 2014

Sony have announced around 10 games out of a stated 20 in the same period.

just because we don't know the names doesn't mean they don't exist. Sony may have fewer at launch but will have more by the end of next year and that suits me just fine

PS4 fan here.

I keep seeing people debating, "Who has the most exclusives?" It's making me nauseous. Fact is, "who has the most exclusives" is irrelevant.

Quantity != Quality.

dosh

Someone shine the cboat light in the sky. May the bombs start dropping!

gaf_signal.jpg

todd360

Screwing over your customer base is innovative now. Awesome.

Yea I'm so sick of this. Ever since microsoft was forced to get rid of their new policies its been nothing but people saying how great it would have been. Like it was going to turn into steam on consoles. 24 hour check is so cool guys. This is great for the consumer.

Why does it have to be innovative market-wise?
You would like your PS4 to have an always-online requirement?
What about once every 24 hours?
Digital only? Even with games beeing 40Gb or more?

If you did want all this stuff, you gotta understand you are a vast minority. Like 1% of console buyers. MS couldn't ignore 99% of the maket to please the 1%. They would be out of the console business before people got used with the idea.

We are seeing the oposite. Console are multiplying.

What exactly do you see wrong with the "traditional console industry"?

For your analysis to hold, it requires the fundamental products themselves to be comparable. The situation we may have here, going from cboat's revelations and jackfrag's recent tweet, is an offering with inferior hardware, a substantially paywalled software environment, and an extra $100 price tag to boot. It certainly helps MS' cause to remove some of the objectionable aspects, but it's not enough if the product itself isn't up to scratch.

The bottom line is that engaging in competition and actually being "competitive" are two different things.

games and features will determine the competition not hardware
which is good because the xbones hardware is much inferior.

kyser73

I reckon if MS hadn't called the XBone 'X box', and instead had twin tracked two products - one a decently powered console with buy a dsci, sell it 2nd hand approach, the other a fart-sensing multimedia uber-machine that had all the crummy policies, but one that was unveiled at something like CES as a general consume gadget, they wouldn't have had half this crap now.

bGanci

Banned
Why does it have to be innovative market-wise?
You would like your PS4 to have an always-online requirement?
What about once every 24 hours?
Digital only? Even with games beeing 40Gb or more?

If you did want all this stuff, you gotta understand you are a vast minority. Like 1% of console buyers. MS couldn't ignore 99% of the maket to please the 1%. They would be out of the console business before people got used with the idea.

We are seeing the oposite. Console are multiplying.

What exactly do you see wrong with the "traditional console industry"?

PS4 is More powerful than the X1...But has no unique innovation. In my personally opinion is the only pro to the PS4 over X1...Xbox One is much more appealing to me...This is only my Opinion.

todd360

Do you understand the full implications of trying to implement a similar DRM system to Microsoft? Especially in regards to some of the markets where SCE operates and gets a substantial amount of marketshare? And I could go on and on and sound even more condescending.

The fact that people still say this when the head of SCE has basically said it was never even an option just amazes me. Not to mention, how idiotic someone has to be to believe that SCE were still not decided as late as February as to what to do with DRM, neglecting how much of a ball ache it would be to try and implement something like that as a last minute thing.

All of these people also seem to think that if Microsoft were to leave gaming sony would immediately turn evil drm scheming mastermind like Microsoft as well. I'm not saying Sony wouldn't make any mistakes but it seems to me that the gaming division actually loves and respects its consumers. You could see it at E3 when jack tretton was talking about ps4.

This.

I don't work at SCE, but I've been around developing markets where SCE is actively trying to push the brand and product hard. ( India, Middle East, etc )

People who, for a second, believed that SCE was going to implement something anywhere close to what MS was doing has no sense of global business acumen. ( something which is a bigger priority to Sony than MS, I might add, given the way their businesses are structured )

Could they had wanted to do some sort of DRM? I won't say no, but definitely not the kind of 'developing region' killing DRM that MS had in place.

India would've been fucked in the ass by the old DRM policies, PS4 or XB1.

Please all of you stop with the bad news. Please stop, understand that some kids will enjoy their 720p. I hope nobody get hurt. feel.

I'm not invested in this topic or thread, but people should stop talking about it because other people might not care? May I remind you where you are?

Don't like it? Don't read it.

*Raises hand*

Ermmmm...

If Microsoft is having so much problems getting the OS to work as it should, who is to say they may not have given the systems security the attention it deserves?

With 3/2 and half Os's there are going to be plenty of vectors of attack.

I just thinking outloud and I dont want to spread FUD, but Id feel slightly paranoid putting my credit card details into an Xbox one, especially if I had an EA account...

Likewise, I hope PSN sticks with real money vouchers. I dont trust either of these compaines to keep my details safe.

viveks86

This.

I don't work at SCE, but I've been around developing markets where SCE is actively trying to push the brand and product hard. ( India, Middle East, etc )

People who, for a second, believed that SCE was going to implement something anywhere close to what MS was doing has no sense of global business acumen. ( something which is a bigger priority to Sony than MS, I might add, given the way their businesses are structured )

Could they had wanted to do some sort of DRM? I won't say no, but definitely not the kind of 'developing region' killing DRM that MS had in place.

India would've been fucked in the ass by the old DRM policies, PS4 or XB1.

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom