• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goddamn America, Trump is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingeniero

I'm rooting for him since day 1.
He has to be elected, imagine all the comedy on a daily basis.

President Trump FTW

It seems that every election people say "Gee, this lot makes the last GOP candidate look sane!" It happened last time with people pining for McCain (who at least pointed out to a voter that Obama wasn't a Muslim and he didn't hate America, they just disagreed on things) and now it seems like Romney wouldn't be a bad pick between all this lot.

I am not American so I dont get one thing. Are they no rules or legal standards in place to prevent people like Trump from contesting. If someone spouts racist bullshit or hatred should they not automatically be disqualified by an authority from contesting? ( For example in India , the election commission has the power to disqualify candidates on grounds of inciting religious hatred. It has not been effective but the law is still there ). I dont get how Trump is still allowed to contest after the nonsense he has been spewing?

Freedom of speech. It's why Fox News can get away with whatever vitriol it can spew on a daily basis - they should be labelled as a tabloid but they can say whatever they want.

Loxley

is there any chance Trump could end up being president? or is just all like a big joke, i´m not american but it kind of worries me

The guy is unelectable - he has zero political experience, his party really fucking hates him, and he'll get even less of the minority and female vote than Romney did (which is saying something). The last election showed that you simply cannot rely on the white-guy vote to get you into office anymore.

Kibbles

I am not American so I dont get one thing. Are they no rules or legal standards in place to prevent people like Trump from contesting. If someone spouts racist bullshit or hatred should they not automatically be disqualified by an authority from contesting? ( For example in India , the election commission has the power to disqualify candidates on grounds of inciting religious hatred. It has not been effective but the law is still there ). I dont get how Trump is still allowed to contest after the nonsense he has been spewing?
There would be no Republican Party then

woolley

The only thing disqualifying someone from running is by not meeting the requirements set by the constitution. Hate speech is a first amendment right and is protected by the constitution. The only thing people can do is go out and vote for the better candidate.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
The only thing disqualifying someone from running is by not meeting the requirements set by the constitution. Hate speech is a first amendment right and is protected by the constitution. The only thing people can do is go out and vote for the better candidate.

Freedom of speech. It's why Fox News can get away with whatever vitriol it can spew on a daily basis - they should be labelled as a tabloid but they can say whatever they want.

Hmm.. So there is no law in America that prevents Hate speeches? Wow!

Interesting.. Freedom of speech is awesome but absolute freedom like this seems kind of dicey. There should be some exceptions - like inciting communal hatred.

There would be no Republican Party then

I dont know about that. Politicians will adjust. You will probably get a better Republican party than today with more focus on actual issues and not on religion because they are forced not to talk about it by law.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Hmm.. So there is no law in America that prevents Hate speeches? Interesting.. Freedom of speech is awesome but absolute freedom like this seems kind of dicey. There should be some exceptions - like inciting communal hatred,

I dont know about that. Politicians will adjust. You will probably get a better Republican party than today with more focus on actual issues and not on religion.

Problem is that in India the authorities use it to squash people they disagree with / do not like. Corruption is too high, which is why they don't do that here, and I am glad for it.

cyba89

President Trump FTW

I don't see what's funny about this at all.

Maybe you should go out of your meme-filled 9gag timeline and look how this affects the real world.
Trump is way past the point of being hilarous. He's dangerous and his success is worrying.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Problem is that in India the authorities use it to squash people they disagree with / do not like. Corruption is too high, which is why they don't do that here, and I am glad for it.

In India it does not work because of corruption. Just seemed to me that US is much better in making sure the law is followed than India so I was thinking having a law like this would work better in the US.

I guess all we can hope is that better judgment prevails in America and he does not get elected.

The guy has to be unelectable, right. Trump is like the personification of the 'greed is good' 80s, but 30 years later and way older and crazier. I mean, what crazy fictional alternate universe are we in where this guy becomes president. It surely cannot be.

Although, sometimes I think he might be able to beat Hillary Clinton. She is not a popular candidate at all, and inspires very little reaction in people. Whereas Trump, in his own bizarro world way, is all of those things.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
In India it does not work because of corruption. Just seemed to me that US is much better in making sure the law is followed than India so I was thinking having a law like this would work better in the US.

I guess all we can hope is that better judgment prevails in America and he does not get elected.

I think part of the reason US is better at following law is because they do not give them as many options for corruption (born in US, parents moved to US from Ahmedabad in 70s).

I think better judgment will prevail if Trump wins the nomination. We will have to fight but I think we will beat Trump.

AaronB

You think Trump is anti-war/non-interventionist? Have you even been listening to the debates?

No, but have you seen any of the alternatives? Rubio, Cruz, and Hillary might as well be George W. Bush as far as foreign policy goes. Trump at least seems to recognize that the interventions in the Middle East made things worse, and would take a hands-off approach to Syria. That's enough to put him ahead of the very low bar set by most of the remaining candidates (Hillary managed to be the leading figure in ruining Libya even while not holding an elected office).

The guy has to be unelectable, right. Trump is like the personification of the 'greed is good' 80s, but 30 years later and way older and crazier. I mean, what crazy fictional alternate universe are we in where this guy becomes president. It surely cannot be.

Although, sometimes I think he might be able to beat Hillary Clinton. She is not a popular candidate at all, and inspires very little reaction in people. Whereas Trump, in his own bizarro world way, is all of those things.

People in these Trump threads really don't understand one simple thing about Trump: he doesn't really believe in most of what he says. Who knows what Trump really believes, I doubt even Trump knows. He is just crafting every statement to be on the news all the time, I guess its the theory that people will forget what you say and just vote for the guy who seems to be talked about the most.

From Trump's own book Art of the Deal
One thing I've learned about the press is they're always hungry for a good story, and the more sensational the better. Its n the nature of the job, and I understand that. The point is that if you are a little different, or a little outrageous, or if you do things that are bold or controversial, the press is going to write about you. I don't mind controversy, my deals tend to to be somewhat ambitious... the result is that the press has always wanted to write about me.

Trump's just running the exact same playbook he has for 30 years, this time on his biggest stage yet. What effect all his crazy statements will have in the general election remain to be seen. You'd totally think all the things he has said will turn him off 30-40% of the electorate but I'm not so sure.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Interesting.. Freedom of speech is awesome but absolute freedom like this seems kind of dicey. There should be some exceptions - like inciting communal hatred.

You pretty much have to be inciting actual, imminent harm to people before that speech is no longer considered protected.

He's joking.

Yes, Trump and Jeb loathe each other. Jeb is the son of George H.W. Bush, who was president in the 90s, and brother of George W. Bush. He was the presumed frontrunner to get the nomination until Trump showed up and stole the spotlight, and ever since he's been floundering in the polls until he dropped out of the race yesterday.

Trump is tapping into a very angry, very white base of voters who have seen economic stagnation over the years but don't quite understand that their problems are caused by capitalism itself and so they blame Mexicans (illegal immigrants "taking our jobs"), black people (who they think are lazy and sit around all day living off of welfare stealing "our hard earned tax dollars"), liberals who supposedly manipulate everyone and hate America, and Muslims who they are terrified of. Trump is bordering on fascist territory.
Its the president America deserves but not the one it needs

3phemeral

Excuse me, JEB

Great editing, and comedic timing on display by the author.

The camera zooms into the mouth. The pitched up laughter of the other candidates. The abrupt
EXCUSE ME, JEB.​

Then insult after insult punctuated by those mic hits. The clincher is the cacophony of horns harmonizing near the end.

Then you run into "who gets to determine what 'communal hatred' is" and so on. You could just as easily get BLM stuff shut down for inciting "communal hatred" against cops.

I'd really rather not start down that road.

generic_username

I think part of the reason US is better at following law is because they do not give them as many options for corruption (born in US, parents moved to US from Ahmedabad in 70s).

I think better judgment will prevail if Trump wins the nomination. We will have to fight but I think we will beat Trump.

Yeah hope he does not win.

Then you run into "who gets to determine what 'communal hatred' is" and so on. You could just as easily get BLM stuff shut down for inciting "communal hatred" against cops.

I'd really rather not start down that road.

Fair enough. I guess in one way this is better because now everyone knows how racist the republican candidates actually are.

People in these Trump threads really don't understand one simple thing about Trump: he doesn't really believe in most of what he says. Who knows what Trump really believes, I doubt even Trump knows. He is just crafting every statement to be on the news all the time, I guess its the theory that people will forget what you say and just vote for the guy who seems to be talked about the most.

One thing I've learned about the press is they're always hungry for a good story, and the more sensational the better. Its n the nature of the job, and I understand that. The point is that if you are a little different, or a little outrageous, or if you do things that are bold or controversial, the press is going to write about you. I don't mind controversy, my deals tend to to be somewhat ambitious... the result is that the press has always wanted to write about me.

Trump's just running the exact same playbook he has for 30 years, this time on his biggest stage yet. What effect all his crazy statements will have in the general election remain to be seen. You'd totally think all the things he has said will turn him off 30-40% of the electorate but I'm not so sure.

Interesting, but then he's kind of frightening even setting aside some of his most off-the-wall statements. Just who he is as a person is scary. He runs almost entirely on bluster and ego, there's almost no real substance or intelligence or genuine consideration or humanity to latch onto there. Probably his only real skills are promoting himself and being a shrewd, cold-blooded businessman.

And yet, for all that, Clinton has been party to far worse things than what Trump has. Like someone mentioned Libya. She's totally amoral when required as well.

So just another typical election, I guess.

Monocle

President Trump FTW
Yeah, xenophobia is pretty damn funny. Buh-BYE Muslims and vaguely "ethnic-looking" people. lolololololololoolloll

That Trump. Just a harmless buffoon.

RBH

Yeah, it would be HILARIOUS for muslims and other minorities.

I don't see what's funny about this at all.

Maybe you should go out of your meme-filled 9gag timeline and look how this affects the real world.
Trump is way past the point of being hilarous. He's dangerous and his success is worrying.

Yeah, xenophobia is pretty damn funny. Buh-BYE Muslims and vaguely "ethnic-looking" people. lolololololololoolloll

That Trump. Just a harmless buffoon.
Sums up my thoughts.

This shit with Trump was never really funny, as far as I'm concerned.

It's not very democratic to disqualify candidates. For anything.

Didn't Trump admit to making ridiculous and completely untenable promises just to get people talking about him?

Anyways, the real thing that will prove whether this is true or not is if he moves increasingly leftwards over the course of the next little bit. If he is bullshitting he must know he's completely unelectable as he is now and will need to eat more into that sweet moderate vote.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

President Trump FTW
I sincerely want you to think about how much of a detriment to society and the U.S. As a whole, ESPECIALLY if you're a minority, he'd be. Seriously, it's not funny. Especially for people who aren't white.

Does it matter? Because his supporters genuinely believe it whether he does nor not.

Weckum

Absolutely this. Trump doesn't scare me at all, Cruz however....

Salmonax

He isn't hilarious. Not one bit. He is a sad and horrible avatar for the stupid, bigoted, hateful minority that now believes it is legitimized by having this clownfuck be the leading gop candidate. He embodies some of the very worst aspects of humanity and the US should feel incredibly embarrassed about him.

Nailed it. And the jackasses saying he's the embodiment of America can suck a fuck.

jeremiahg

Neo Member
I think people are overreacting a bit with the Trump threat. First, I think a lot of what he's saying is theater to get attention and people riled up. A Trump president would likely be more mellow than his "campaign self". Second, being president doesn't make him a dictator. There is still a Senate and Congress that can keep extremism in check. Trump is someone likely gaming the system for ego or financial reward, not the representative of extreme Right values as he portrays himself to be.

I think people are overreacting a bit with the Trump threat. First, I think a lot of what he's saying is theater to get attention and people riled up. A Trump president would likely be more mellow than his "campaign self". Second, being president doesn't make him a dictator. There is still a Senate and Congress that can keep extremism in check. Trump is someone likely gaming the system for ego or financial reward, not the representative of extreme Right values as he portrays himself to be.

So at best he's an unprincipled puppet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom