• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump urged Mexican president to end his public defiance on border wall

The whole angle on "the wall". Is astonishing to me. Trump is flat out admitting he knowingly deceived voters with his stance on who'd pay for it, openly trying to coerce the very leader of the very country he made his deceptive claims about to be complicit in maintaining the deception by ceasing to debunk it and all in the name of preserving the deception that is a key pillar of his win for many voters?

Flat out astonishing to me this isn't even going to register with his voters nor bring any real sanction against him.

It's the worst kind of self serving political manoeuvring that normally brings severe censure if discovered yet the response seems muted.

I guess the issue is for those well aware of the clear concerns this raises it's essentially preaching to the choir while those who most need to reflect on it will simply ignore it or treat it as fake news and assume it's not even true.

I remember quite clearly how even people on GAF were like "Hillary has a public and private opinion?! The lunacy!! She's not fit to be president!!"

And yet Trump openly engages in deception and nary a peep from those same people.

The level of cognitive dissonance some people partake in is maddening to me.

MIMIC

Banned
What a shitshow
DGU1XJTUwAAStBA.jpg

So he’s making shit up and Turnbull just goes with it

Wait....they released both sides of the conversation? Oh wow. I thought they just released Trump's side of the conversations.

I am re reading some of it (cant drink at work and have to kill brain cells) and it is just insane. It is difficult to convey how crazy this is that the leader of a country is talking like this. You guys HAVE to read this.

And the sheer stupidity on display is just blowing my mind.

So Trump is whining about taking in refugees and Turnbull (being the absolute cunt that he is) gives him an easy out.

Look at this -

TURNBULL - The obligation is for the United States to look and examine and take up to and only if they so choose – 1,250 to 2,000. Every individual is subject to your vetting. You can decide to take them or to not take them after vetting. You can decide to take 1,000 or 100. It is entirely up to you. The obligation is to only go through the process.

And Trump is just too fucking thick to even understand it. He still keeps whining that he has to take in 2000 people.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

Just what the fuck. What the absolute fucking fuck!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I hope the Putin transcript comes next.

I vaguely remember reports of aides and staffers being alarmed at some things Trump was saying to Putin.
Wasn't it confirmed that the WH didn't record the Putin conversations? Would be difficult to get a transcript of those

I am re reading some of it (cant drink at work and have to kill brain cells) and it is just insane. It is difficult to convey how crazy this is that the leader of a country is talking like this. You guys HAVE to read this.

So Trump is whining about taking in refugees and Turnbull (being the absolute cunt that he is) gives him an easy out.

Look at this -

And Trump is just too fucking thick to even understand it. He still keeps whining that he has to take in 2000 people.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

After Turnbull made this statement Trump even said he heard he may have to take as many as 5000 people. He was not listening at all.

Trump:
This is going to kill me. I am the world’s greatest person that does not want to let people into the country. And now I am agreeing to take 2,000 people and I agree I can vet them, but that puts me in a bad position. It makes me look so bad and I have only been here a week.

TURNBULL
With great respect, that is not right – It is not 2,000.

TRUMP
Well, it is close. I have also heard like 5,000 as well.

TURNBULL
The given number in the agreement is 1,250 and it is entirely a matter of your vetting.
This statement happened shortly after the quote you posted.

Also reading Piento continually trying to talk about something else other than the wall and seeing him get increasingly frustrating was embarrassing as well.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Look at this -

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

Yea, and by then it was like the third time he had already explained in full the situation.

While reading it this morning, I kept thinking to myself that Turnbull really needed to pause after every sentence and ask Trump: "Are you with me so far?"

After Turnbull made this statement Trump even said he heard he may have to take as many as 5000 people. Turnbull also pointed out early in the conversation that the Boston Bombers were a form of Domestic Terrorism not Isis. Trump later uses the Boston Massacre as an excuse to not accept the refugees and Turnbull points out they were Russian.

Also reading Piento continually trying to talk about something else other than the wall and seeing him get increasingly frustrating was embarrassing as well.

Yeah. The 5000 people comment is just.....

Everything is rendering me speechless. What do you even say about this?

Yup. I grew up thinking that the worst case scenario was that we would have a president that I disagree with on a lot of issues.

I never thought we would have a complete idiot, a clownish ignoramus, as president.

We do not even have the basic comfort that at least he believes what he's doing is right for the country. He is instead very likely to be a stooge of a foreign government.

It doesn't seem real.

You're clearly not a minority then if you were this naive.

Kenai

Since my opinion on Trump literally could not get any lower I seem to direct even more and more of my distaste to his voting base instead whenever new things come up these days. Go figure. How pathetic of a human being do you have to be to keep approving of this? It blows my mind, probably always will. I won't forget what damage people like that can do with their votes, though. Never again.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This is the most amazing Trump article I've read in a long time. And I've read a LOT of amazing Trump articles these last six months.

This is the most amazing Trump article I've read in a long time. And I've read a LOT of amazing Trump articles these last six months.
Unsure if it can top the NYT and WSJ interviews. However, this provides a different angle and more in depth details about Trump's incompetence than what the majority of the leaks have been about. It's also the most times he has outright been caught admitting these things. Which should in theory be incredibly offensive to all of his voters

No, I do not want say that. I will just have to say that unfortunately I will have to live with what was said by Obama. I will say I hate it. Look, I spoke to Putin, Merkel, Abe of Japan, to France today, and this was my most unpleasant call because I will be honest with you. I hate taking these people. I guarantee you they are bad. That is why they are in prison right now. They are not going to be wonderful people who go on to work for the local milk people.

Yikes

SKINNER!

Banned
Why are there people that still genuinely believe that he's a good negotiator/businessman?

Because he personifies the selfish "America First! Me me me! Fuck everybody else" mentality so effectively and that resonates very well with your average American who thinks/behaves/believes in this manner.

Look at this -

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

After Turnbull made this statement Trump even said he heard he may have to take as many as 5000 people. He was not listening at all.

Yeah, and just to take it a step further, this happens next:

TRUMP
Look, I do not know how you got them to sign a deal like this, but that is how they lost the election. They said I had no way to 270 and I got 306. That is why they lost the election, because of stupid deals like this. You have brokered many a stupid deal in business and I respect you, but I guarantee that you broke many a stupid deal. This is a stupid deal. This deal will make me look terrible.

TURNBULL
Mr. President, I think this will make you look like a man who stands by the commitments of the United States. It shows that you are a committed —

TRUMP
Okay, this shows me to be a dope. I am not like this but, if I have to do it, I will do it but I do not like this at all. I will be honest with you. Not even a little bit. I think it is ridiculous and Obama should have never signed it. The only reason I will take them is because I have to honor a deal signed by my predecessor and it was a rotten deal. I say that it was a stupid deal like all the other deals that this country signed. You have to see what I am doing. I am unlocking deals that were made by people, these people were incompetent. I am not going to say that it fits within the realm of my Executive Order. We are going to allow 2,000 prisoners to come into our country and it is within the realm of my Executive Order? If that is the case my Executive Order does not mean anything Malcom [sic]. I look like a dope. The only way that I can do this is to say that my predecessor made a deal and I have no option then to honor the deal. I hate having to do it, but I am still going to vet them very closely. Suppose I vet them closely and I do not take any?

TURNBULL
That is the point I have been trying to make.

TRUMP
How does that help you?

TURNBULL
Well, we assume that we will act in good faith.

TRUMP
Does anybody know who these people are? Who are they? Where do they come from? Are they going to become the Boston bomber in five years? Or two years? Who are these people?

Turnbull actually gets as blatant as possible that the number actually taken can in fact be ZERO. And Trump STILL doesn't get it. He's too busy working in his electorate total to listen to this man giving him a way to actually get out of the exact "bad Obama deal" he's ranting about.

As a mexican living in Mexico. If I was Peña as soon as Trump said "you can't say" I would - essentially - tell him to fuck off. I would - not subtly - imply I would drop doing all the extra work in our south border with Guatemala. I'm sure all the children dying - sadly - trying to cross to the US would sure make wonders for his (shitty) public image along with me saying I was told to keep quiet but I wouldn't because I'm the fucking president of Mexico I'm not to be bullied over a monument to racism and idiocy.

Let him remember the hostile Mexico that for decades the US had for neighbor. Many countries would love to have friendly neighbors like Mexico and Canada.

I know that if Peña had done that I'm sure it might have ended the NAFTA too. But if Trump pulled out of the NAFTA then I would have taxed the hell out of what we import from the red states (corn, etc). Sure it would damage Mexico too, but I'm sure people here would understand a bit and wouldn't cry too much. Kind of "if it's to say fuck you to Trump and his supporters then we are in".

Sorry for the rant, but it's infuriating to think that he would literally say to another president that he can't speak publicly about something that concern us.

Fuck Trump.

kmax

You have some pretty tough hombres in Mexico that you may need help with, and we are willing to help you with that big-league. But they have to be knocked out and you have not done a good job of knocking them out.

I know this is a tough group of people, and maybe your military is afraid of them, but our military is not afraid of them, and we will help you with that 100 percent because it is out of control – totally out of control.

Is this real life? Dear lord.

SKINNER!

Banned
Yeah, and just to take it a step further, this happens next:

Turnbull actually gets as blatant as possible that the number actually taken can in fact be ZERO. And Trump STILL doesn't get it. He's too busy working in his electorate total to listen to this man giving him a way to actually get out of the exact "bad Obama deal" he's ranting about.

Holy shit. This guy is fucking thick and the only reason people are actually taking him seriously is because he's got his dad's money to play with. No fucking way a person of this stupidity was capable to build a money empire. How?! Just comes to show how much inheritance money and tax evasion can make you an important figure worth listening to in the USA .

SKINNER!

Banned
Sorry for the rant, but it's infuriating to think that he would literally say to another president that he can't speak publicly about something that concern us.

Fuck Trump.

Especially given how he liberally he can talk in public without considering the consequences. Fuck this orange baby cunt.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Weren't the Boston bombers from Russia?

lol yes
And Turnbull knew this and let him know.
Check out the response.

TURNBULL
These guys are not in that league. They are economic refugees.

TRUMP
Okay, good. Can Australia give me a guarantee that if we have any problems – you know that is what they said about the Boston bombers. They said they were wonderful young men.

TURNBULL
They were Russians. They were not from any of these countries.

TRUMP
They were from wherever they were.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
"Putin was a pleasant call" I think he seriously, seriously lacks any self-awareness and I'm constantly in befuddledment because of it

I hope the Putin transcript comes next.

I vaguely remember reports of aides and staffers being alarmed at some things Trump was saying to Putin.
Trump - "You hang up first, no you hang up first, no you hang up first, ok we will hang up at the same time...3...2...1...are you still there Vladdy?...No you hang up first."

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Why are there people that still genuinely believe that he's a good negotiator/businessman?

Because Trump is rich. If Trump wasn't a good businessman, how would he be rich? Therefore, Trump being rich is proof of him being a good businessman.

I just want to know where the hell these drugs are being sold for less than candy because if that's true I've been paying way too much.

DUMB LIBS MAKING UP STORIES ABOUT RUSSIA COLLUSION BECAUSE THEY CAN'T BEAT US AT THE VOTING BOOTHS!

President Trump launched a fresh defense of his campaign Thursday night following news that the special counsel investigating ties between his campaign associates and Moscow had impaneled a grand jury in Washington.

"Most people know there were no Russians in our campaign, there never were," Trump said during a campaign-style rally in Huntington, W.Va.

"We didn't win because of Russia, we won because of you," he added, gesturing to the audience.

The president accused political opponents of pushing a "fake story" that he called "demeaning to all of us and most importantly demeaning to our country and demeaning to our Constitution."

"They can't beat us at the voting booths, so they're trying to cheat you out of the future and the future that you want," he said.

Gelboy is an actual politician, he has sweet talk and money bucket his position. If Iq45 pretends he is going to sweet talk or threaten him, boy, he is going to end up paying for TEARING DOWN the existing wall.

We knew PN was an idiot, but frankly, after Iq45 started his "campaign", I can almost guarantee we all felt at little bit better for us and lot far worse for the US.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think Trump was being obtuse with Turnbull because he wants something in return, he is trying to get him to offer something, he just can't ask for anything himself. Otherwise he would just have had to ask how many do they have to take in and would have said Ok, zero. Instead he is arguing as if he is expecting Turbull to offer something but he never does.

"They can't beat us at the voting booths, so they're trying to cheat you out of the future and the future that you want," he said.

He lost the popular vote, and won based on a outdated weighted voting system that he himself said people should reject and riot over when he though Obama was going to win because of it in 2012.

Why does he get to keep saying these blatantly hypocritical things without someone able to rub his nose in his own damn public statements?

bengraven

Holy fuck he openly admits to lying and coming up with lies. He openly admits to wanting to slander his political opponents with lies.

Oh wait...he's been doing this for a while...

bengraven

He lost the popular vote, and won based on a outdated weighted voting system that he himself said people should reject and riot over when he though Obama was going to win because of it in 2012.

Why does he get to keep saying these blatantly hypocritical things without someone able to rub his nose in his own damn public statements?

Because he's saving America. This place was a mess when he inherited it. Every square mile was as bad as the Polish ghettos.

Now we all chill at the golf course with our beautiful blonde daughter wives.

All in six months. Impressive!

Top Bottom