• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump urged Mexican president to end his public defiance on border wall

Haunted

Wait did Trump literally buy into the whole "most powerful man in the world" thing about the POTUS and think he could literally tell other world leaders what to do and they'd do it like employee's?

Christs alive each day I am constantly more surprised at how a man seems like he'd have trouble running a McDonald's franchise runs a country and has a fanatical fan base because he doesn't pull punches!

I always wondered how Hitler indoctrinated a country so easily, and it seem relatively obvious now, and I'd argue hitler was more charismatic and less openly crazy until he had mass appeal
Though the comparison seems obvious, Hitler was much, much more competent than Trump.

The US electorate of 2016 will not be looked kindly upon in the history books.

MG310

Both from his call with Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull:

And the end of the short call
nJKzNsg.jpg

I can picture Turnbull making the jerk off hand gesture to whoever else was in the room at this point.

Shadybiz

I'm actually a little surprised at how (relatively) coherent the transcript from the Nieto call was. I wonder how much it was edited.

Mahonay

Banned
God. Whom ever is the next president after this administration is going to have to spend the first year of their presidency just repairing all of our foreign relationships.

I hope Trump is losing his shit and crying about leaks over all these transcripts being released.

It was indeed a victory for EPN. He has very low approval ratings and is generally perceived to be an inept president, we Mexicans were half expecting him to play along Trump's stupidity game. But he actually made a video saying "lol no" and, for a moment, Mexican people supported him.

Yeah no kidding. Mexico hates Peña Nieto and I've never seen the public being so much behind Peña as they were when he stood up to Trump's bullying.

Trump is such an imbecile he makes a foreign bad president look good!

Mael

Reading the transcript...
I'm still in awe at how little the orange understands of policy (foreign or otherwise) or what the US actually is and stands for.
And I'm like 20% in the Mexican leader transcript.

So you're saying he has a public position and a private position? That behind all the bravado, he's a beta loser cuck? I am shocked.

Trump's plan for MAGA:
1. Drain swamp
2. Pump in feces
3. Paint feces gold
4. Declare that he has brought about a new Golden Age.

Mahonay

Banned
Reading the transcript...
I'm still in awe at how little the orange understands of policy (foreign or otherwise) or what the US actually is and stands for.
And I'm like 20% in the Mexican leader transcript.
It's not surprising to me whatsoever. He's Donald Trump. A man with ZERO prior political experience, strongly believes in alt-right conspiracy theories, who ran his businesses by simply conning and bullying people,

Also, he's just fucking dumb.

Mael

It's not surprising to me whatsoever. He's Donald Trump. A man with ZERO prior political experience, strongly believes in alt-right conspiracy theories, who ran his businesses by simply conning and bullying people,

Also, he's just fucking dumb.

I'm not saying I shouldn't be surprised , it's more like it keeps getting my mind blown.

jstripes

Banned
He described Mexican drug cartel leaders as “pretty tough hombres” and promised U.S. military support, saying that “maybe your military is afraid of them, but our military is not.”

Peña Nieto responded by saying that drug trafficking in Mexico is “largely supported by the illegal amounts of money and weapons coming from the United States.”
Peña Nieto not afraid to spill the truth there.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So funny, he's only worried about how he'd be viewed for breaking promises, not really what's good for the country.

He basically gave in to Mexico not paying for the wall as long as Mexico pretended like they might pay for it to the media.

Great negotiator indeed.

Trump is so many times worse than I ever assumed he would be at his job.

Fercho

Peña Nieto not afraid to spill the truth there.

For real, and notice how Trump fails to comment about that.

My points regarding the conversion with EPN

- The call seems more cordial than the newsin Mexican media reported

- The suggestion to send US army to crackdown the cartels was reported has a threat in the Mexican media. It actually appears to be an honest offer to help ("honest" by Trump standards)

- Peña was actually very strong during the call more than Trump

- Trump is full of shit in everything he said. From his kind words to tax plans and of course, the wall. Only an idiot will trust in anything this con man says.

- Now i want to know about the "plan" that Kushner and that filthy traitor gringo bitch of Videgaray were working on.

PSqueak

Banned
Peña Nieto must be overjoyed about this, he needs every little bit of help to gather sympathy from the mexican populace.

jmdajr

They are spinning as a good thing, as Trump acting strong. That's how anyone who watches Fox News will see it too.

Look at the headline, the MEGA LEAK is the bad part to them.

LOL. Well that certainly is quite the interpretation. But yeah I wouldn't doubt some feel this way.

Mondrian

They are spinning as a good thing, as Trump acting strong. That's how anyone who watches Fox News will see it too.

Look at the headline, the MEGA LEAK is the bad part to them.

I don't doubt it... but If they are trying to make him look strong, they chose a pretty shitty pull quote to run with the headline.

Curufinwe

I guess this is the thread for the leaked transcripts.

Gotta love the Trump dummies believing his lie on twitter about how well the call with Aussie PM went.

Despite the friction, Trump at other moments sought to sweet-talk Peña Nieto, telling him that “you and I will always be friends,” and that if they could resolve their disputes over the border and trade, “We will almost become the fathers of our country — almost, not quite, okay?”

The fuck does this even mean, in the diseased recesses of his mind?

We'll almost become a metaphorical figurehead that makes no sense in the context of our current lives and conversation... but not all the way, okay? Like seriously, what is the implication here, is he trying to marry the guy?

Sobriquet

I hope the Putin transcript comes next.

I vaguely remember reports of aides and staffers being alarmed at some things Trump was saying to Putin.

EGM1966

The whole angle on "the wall". Is astonishing to me. Trump is flat out admitting he knowingly deceived voters with his stance on who'd pay for it, openly trying to coerce the very leader of the very country he made his deceptive claims about to be complicit in maintaining the deception by ceasing to debunk it and all in the name of preserving the deception that is a key pillar of his win for many voters?

Flat out astonishing to me this isn't even going to register with his voters nor bring any real sanction against him.

It's the worst kind of self serving political manoeuvring that normally brings severe censure if discovered yet the response seems muted.

I guess the issue is for those well aware of the clear concerns this raises it's essentially preaching to the choir while those who most need to reflect on it will simply ignore it or treat it as fake news and assume it's not even true.

Top Bottom