• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goddamn America, Trump is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noshten

And he will get the Mexicans to pay for it

BB8BLx.gif

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Reflecting on the whole thing i thought the Elmer Fudd hat sunk him when it first appeared. i know in retrospect i was totally naive but in my defense i mean look at this fucking shit..

9v74qVa.jpg

When the McCain remarks didnt sink him i knew it would be Trump to win the nomination.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
He is real funny if you're not part of the minority that he spent energy lambasting on. Like Muslims, for instance.

"Oh Har Har he is advocating banning Muslims from the US DURRRRRR" might seem funny, but he is fanning anti-minority sentiments even further with that among his millions of supporters and that is a real scary thing.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
He's joking.

Yes, Trump and Jeb loathe each other. Jeb is the son of George H.W. Bush, who was president in the 90s, and brother of George W. Bush. He was the presumed frontrunner to get the nomination until Trump showed up and stole the spotlight, and ever since he's been floundering in the polls until he dropped out of the race yesterday.

Trump is tapping into a very angry, very white base of voters who have seen economic stagnation over the years but don't quite understand that their problems are caused by capitalism itself and so they blame Mexicans (illegal immigrants "taking our jobs"), black people (who they think are lazy and sit around all day living off of welfare stealing "our hard earned tax dollars"), liberals who supposedly manipulate everyone and hate America, and Muslims who they are terrified of. Trump is bordering on fascist territory.

Trump is out-Bush-ing the Bush family right now, and in many ways why he can flourish right now is connected to how the Bush dynasty played the American politics so far. Basically, the Bush family inadvertently created a Monster that now is larger than they can handle.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It stopped being funny a long time ago. The fear of a dangerous xenophobic racist bigot like him winning is getting far too real.

SegaShack

I think people are overreacting a bit with the Trump threat. First, I think a lot of what he's saying is theater to get attention and people riled up. A Trump president would likely be more mellow than his "campaign self". Second, being president doesn't make him a dictator. There is still a Senate and Congress that can keep extremism in check. Trump is someone likely gaming the system for ego or financial reward, not the representative of extreme Right values as he portrays himself to be.
This. People act like the president just can do whatever they want but it's actually very limited due to needed approval in congress. Furthermore the Supreme Court would determine some of his ideas as unconstitutional anyways.

For example, look at how many things Obama wanted to do during his campaign and how much of it was either blocked by Congress or a large compromise had to be made. It's not like Trump can just be elected and start deporting Muslims on the spot.

catmincer

Honestly Trump doesn't worry me. I feel he just says shit to pander to idiots who like this sort of candidate.

Rubio and Cruz seem to believe the stuff they say, that worries me way more.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I think people are overreacting a bit with the Trump threat. First, I think a lot of what he's saying is theater to get attention and people riled up. A Trump president would likely be more mellow than his "campaign self". Second, being president doesn't make him a dictator. There is still a Senate and Congress that can keep extremism in check. Trump is someone likely gaming the system for ego or financial reward, not the representative of extreme Right values as he portrays himself to be.

This. People act like the president just can do whatever they want but it's actually very limited due to needed approval in congress. Furthermore the Supreme Court would determine some of his ideas as unconstitutional anyways.

For example, look at how many things Obama wanted to do during his campaign and how much of it was either blocked by Congress or a large compromise had to be made. It's not like Trump can just be elected and start deporting Muslims on the spot.

I don't get people who think "Don't worry! Trump will never become the president anyways!" as if all the hatred and bigoted and racist ideas he implanted upon millions of people during his ascent would just magically disappear the moment he fails to become a president.

Just the same, even if he's mellowing out as a President, the idea that the person spewing such ideas can become the supposed leader of the free world is such an empowering thought to bigots and racists everywhere in this world, that I can't see other eventualities that many will increase their hostilities towards other people perceived different from them.

Trump's danger is not limited to just when he succeeds or fails. His danger is that his voice is the voice of someone who can reach millions at ease, and that voice is a voice that tells minorities and "the other" to fuck off.

fester

Banned
Yup. Every Bernie supporter I personally know has been saying they refuse to vote for Hilary.

The only cool part about trumps future presidency is when he starts telling other countries they're fired.

I have a hard time believing anyone smart enough to vote for Bernie would be stupid enough to turn around and let someone like Trump become president.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yup. Every Bernie supporter I personally know has been saying they refuse to vote for Hilary.

The only cool part about trumps future presidency is when he starts telling other countries they're fired.
This is a problematic viewpoint. If you support Bernie's viewpoints and are willing to let trump get elected then...

I hope he wins, dollar is too high, importing from the US is getting more expensive.

I trust the US institutions are strong enough to not let him do crazy shit tho.

Bernie seems alright too , I think he can make the dollar go down in price too.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I hope he wins, dollar is too high, importing from the US is getting more expensive.

I trust the US institutions are strong enough to not let him do crazy shit tho.

Bernie seems alright too , I think he can make the dollar go down in price too.
There'll always be the Canadian Dollar.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
People in these Trump threads really don't understand one simple thing about Trump: he doesn't really believe in most of what he says. Who knows what Trump really believes, I doubt even Trump knows. He is just crafting every statement to be on the news all the time, I guess its the theory that people will forget what you say and just vote for the guy who seems to be talked about the most.

From Trump's own book Art of the Deal
One thing I've learned about the press is they're always hungry for a good story, and the more sensational the better. Its n the nature of the job, and I understand that. The point is that if you are a little different, or a little outrageous, or if you do things that are bold or controversial, the press is going to write about you. I don't mind controversy, my deals tend to to be somewhat ambitious... the result is that the press has always wanted to write about me.

Trump's just running the exact same playbook he has for 30 years, this time on his biggest stage yet. What effect all his crazy statements will have in the general election remain to be seen. You'd totally think all the things he has said will turn him off 30-40% of the electorate but I'm not so sure.

He is very media savvy. It's probably what got him this far.

Valhelm

contribute something
Honestly Trump doesn't worry me. I feel he just says shit to pander to idiots who like this sort of candidate.

Rubio and Cruz seem to believe the stuff they say, that worries me way more.

We should all be very worried about Trump's supporters. They aren't going away.

I have a hard time believing anyone smart enough to vote for Bernie would be stupid enough to turn around and let someone like Trump become president.

With respect, I feel it is a mistake to atribute an average level of intelligence to a group of people based purely on their preferred candidate.

JasonS

Neo Member
So... Mississippi?

New Hampshire and South Carolina, so far.

For a certain subset of Sanders supporters, Trump's "anti-establishment" persona supersedes all the fascist stuff. This certainly isn't true for all of his supporters, but it's a real phenomenon in my experience; I've even seen this on GAF.

Though I'm sure they're out there, I have yet to come across a Clinton supporter claiming they would vote for Trump over Sanders. This may explain why Sanders has been performing better than Clinton against Trump in recent general election polling.

Opto

Banned
People in these Trump threads really don't understand one simple thing about Trump: he doesn't really believe in most of what he says. Who knows what Trump really believes, I doubt even Trump knows. He is just crafting every statement to be on the news all the time, I guess its the theory that people will forget what you say and just vote for the guy who seems to be talked about the most.

From Trump's own book Art of the Deal
One thing I've learned about the press is they're always hungry for a good story, and the more sensational the better. Its n the nature of the job, and I understand that. The point is that if you are a little different, or a little outrageous, or if you do things that are bold or controversial, the press is going to write about you. I don't mind controversy, my deals tend to to be somewhat ambitious... the result is that the press has always wanted to write about me.

Trump's just running the exact same playbook he has for 30 years, this time on his biggest stage yet. What effect all his crazy statements will have in the general election remain to be seen. You'd totally think all the things he has said will turn him off 30-40% of the electorate but I'm not so sure.
Sure but that's still scary. A guy crafting rhetoric with no foundation? I at least know what Cruz is all about.

Trump also doesn't give enough of a shit for me to believe his presidency (which would be a goddamn embarrassment on an international scale) wouldn't follow through on some promises he has made just to keep whatever following he has calmed down.

As much as I'd like this to be true, Obama compromised because it is in his general nature to compromise. I have zero faith that the Republican party would be as responsible with power if they had the presidency and both houses of congress.

Roc

Neo Member
Well, gaf has gone from "lol, let's be honest. He'll never be elected" to "ah, shit guys, it could happen..."

In all honesty, I can prepare myself mentally, but no matter how much I think I'm ready it's still gonna be surreal in the worst possible way if it happens. I've always wanted to go abroad and study, maybe this will be my opportunity.

Osahi

Everytime i see him i notice his spraytanned skin, and how you can see the imprint if his protective glasses.

Next i imagine him in a tiny speedo in a spray cabin and my eyes start bleeding.

It was funny when this guy was not the GOP frontrunner.

Now it's a sad fucking commentary on America.

He's going to get the nom and that's almost as bad as him getting elected, because American politics will be a fucking shitstain on the world from here on out.

Well what are y'all angry and fractured about?

You name it and this country is pretty pissed about it right now in one way or another. Cops, religion, race, immigration, censorship and so on. Even look at the current presidential candidates. There's a lot of bad blood between supporters of Sanders and Clinton. And on the Republican side you've got those that love Trump and another side that want him as far away from the party as possible. So, Trump definitely represents one nasty side to all of the anger.

lenovox1

But he can win if folks on the other side refuse to go out and vote for X candidate..been seeing a lot of talk like that for a minute.

The only demographic that Trump may win is older white and male voters, which is not a significantly large enough demographic to offset anything but very large decreases in minority and female turnout.

Nipo

Well, gaf has gone from "lol, let's be honest. He'll never be elected" to "ah, shit guys, it could happen..."

In all honesty, I can prepare myself mentally, but no matter how much I think I'm ready it's still gonna be surreal in the worst possible way if it happens. I've always wanted to go abroad and study, maybe this will be my opportunity.

Elected? He won't even get the nomination. I don't think it is surprising that approximately 30% of the Republicans base is angry. His support caps out with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom