• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't get over how bad FFXV's cover is

Verendus

Banned
Do you think this cover was designed this way because they wanted to draw your attention to Noctis and his friend's asses?

killroy87

This is why you buy the Deluxe Edition for the steelbook.

QxDEz4c.jpg

I love Amano as much as anyone, but this isn't great.

Ultimadrago

Yep, I'll definitely take advantage of the reversible cover, but I agree that it's disappointing that the standard cover is rather bad.

Japan got the better cover:
finalfantasyxv-17vuwn.jpg

Yes, I like this. Western marketing would likely never go for the protagonist's face being obscured or turning away for this title, but this is nice.

Do you think this cover was designed this way because they wanted to draw your attention to Noctis and his friend's asses?

Pls. Do not objectify. Also, Notis' jacket is covering. Tease tactics.

jennetics

This is why you buy the Deluxe Edition for the steelbook.

QxDEz4c.jpg

I've ordered the deluxe edition and I still can't figure out wtf is going on with the cover...
Hopefully it makes a little more sense once I've beaten the game.

Otherwise, Amano's got some 'splainin' to do...

jimmypython

I remember the US marketing team was bragging how much effort was put into creating the cover. Based on ALL of their marketing effort, they have to be fired.

sublimit

Banned
+1 on the Japanese cover being the superior one. But yeah like Kinyou said SE's Western marketing team probably told them that it wasn't "edgy" enough for the West.

Adaren

Noctis' pose is the part that gets me the most.

How did he get in that pose in the first place? What is he planning on doing next?

batbeg

I think the new key visual looks absolutely awful as a cover, worse than the awkward stiff one we're getting for sure. The Japanese one looks pretty cool, not great. The Amano art is one of his worst.

I don't know why it's such a struggle to get this game a decent cover, lol.

Yep, I'll definitely take advantage of the reversible cover, but I agree that it's disappointing that the standard cover is rather bad.

Yup.

Problem with reversible is they didn't print the banner on top for PS4 so itll look not legit lol.

Kaizer

Banned
American Cover sucks
Japanese Cover sucks
All-White Cover sucks
Only one I actually like is the fan-made one with the new key visual art.

Jeels

Yup, I am importing from Japan once prices drop and keeping the Japanese cover with my English disc haha. I guess they thought Americans didn't want to look at someone's back?

Zomba13

Yeah. Japans isn't fantastic or anything but it at least gets across the road trip in a fantasy world feeling of the game.

Verendus

Banned
Pls. Do not objectify. Also, Notis' jacket is covering. Tease tactics.
Just saying.

Noctis has the whole contortion thing going on too. Trying to show off his chest at the same time. He's even squatting to make sure those glutes are pulsing. Then you've got Gladio getting in on the action, and Prompto displaying his legs. Ignis is very clearly displaying off his entire frontal body.

There's clearly something very sexual going on here. I think it's intentional.

Fbh

Yeah it's terrible.
Even a super generic cover with Noctis on it (face looking down, eyes looking up) would have been better.

It's specially bad since Japan has a great cover.

FeMui

Banned
The reason why the Amano artwork looks poor is because it's not meant to shrunk down to a tiny hand-sized case. It's supposed to be a giant, sprawling banner art piece as seen at the Uncovered event, where it was first revealed. It looked great there.

jax

Banned
It's a generational thing. The main people who buy games now need things more spelled out for them. They won't understand the 20+ year tradition of logo on white. :(

I actually think the US cover now is just fine. The logo by itself just doesn't look right, and the fan box art is kinda false when you think about it.
Not a fan of the japanese box art.

For the region they're selling the game, the US cover makes since.
tldr; simp it down for the American audience. Aka make it look like a run of the mill western "AAA" release instead of "all white background? Wut. R there zombies in this or not?!"

DMONKUMA

Shoulda have the crew doing a cheers outside while tabata's face is in the cloud looking at them smiling.

Logo with white background would have been perfect.

Setsu00

I've ordered the deluxe edition and I still can't figure out wtf is going on with the cover...
Hopefully it makes a little more sense once I've beaten the game.

Otherwise, Amano's got some 'splainin' to do...

It's really not that hard to make sense of the artwork. The left half is actually pretty direct and it makes me wonder how you can't at least get an idea what he was going for.

Basically, you start at the left side. You can see the Citadel of Lucis in in front of the moon, symbolizing the begin of Noctis' journey. You can also see the Regalia together with Noctis and his companions alongside a blond woman (presumably Luna) getting captured by a knight. The right half shows a couple of the summons; Leviathan and Shiva are pretty easy to identify.

Top Bottom