• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't get over how bad FFXV's cover is

sublimit

Banned
DZUDJOp.gif

Looks like garbage.

I honestly find it hard to believe that an artist of Amano's caliber messed this up so badly.I'm willing to bet that this is a case of bad communication between Amano and whomever was the art director for that cover.

Amano is a fantastic artist obviously but you can really tell when he doesn't give a shit. Nomura at least makes consistent artwork. (Yoshida is probably the most consistent FF artist.)

Jawmuncher

It's a generational thing. The main people who buy games now need things more spelled out for them. They won't understand the 20+ year tradition of logo on white. :(

tldr; simp it down for the American audience. Aka make it look like a run of the mill western "AAA" release instead of "all white background? Wut. R there zombies in this or not?!"

The black background with logo which is the reversible I think looks fine. But the white I think just doesn't sit right on it. Regardless I can understand why they went with each box art they did for every region.

firelogic

Ultimately the cover doesn't really matter to me but yeah I agree, it's pretty ugly. If it was up to me, I'd take the stark white cover with just the title and this instalment's logo by Amano.

And the one they used is complete and total garbage. A composition with a simple face, a compilation of faces or an actual dynamic action shot like the first one would have all been better options than the awkward, stilted nonsense they chose.

It's still way better than all of these garbage you posted.

Has mannequin challenge gone too far?

omg

It's still way better than all of these garbage you posted.
I understand that you're one of indefatigable defenders for the game, but no, no it's not.

It has absolutely no composition coherence to it, just like the key visual released today. The only thing better about the key visual is that at least it's a pretty looking mess instead of the ugly mess that is the actual cover.

Banned
Cover arts are supposed to give an impression on the actual game. They nailed it.

Is this Poe's law? I don't even know anymore.

rhandino

Banned
I honestly find it hard to believe that an artist of Amano's caliber messed this up so badly.I'm willing to bet that this is a case of bad communication between Amano and whomever was the art director for that cover.
Apparently it was something made for a banner but even when they used it for the Undercover event it looked tacky and messy unlike that one illustration of Terra on Magiteck Armor overlooking a city.

This is just a visual mess.

Deluxe Edition is gross.

This is how you do a steelbook:

41VumIqXYGL.jpg
I know, right? I still have mine that I bought second hand and even when it got a little rusty still feels amazing and looks gorgeous.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, I'll definitely take advantage of the reversible cover, but I agree that it's disappointing that the standard cover is rather bad.

Japan got the better cover:

lol if not for the title on the front of the cover I would never guess this is a Final Fantasy game.

It's quite amazing how much this series has evolved (devolved?)

Cloud7

Yeah, the North American cover art is awful. You gotta keep in mind that North American marketers use the cover art as a selling point and mainstream folks look to it as a selling point. It won't matter to any of us but it does help reach new customers. That being said, I'll be using the reversable one myself.

Apparently it was something made for a banner but even when they used it for the Undercover event it looked tacky and messy unlike that one illustration of Terra on Magiteck Armor overlooking a city.

This is just a visual mess.
Nah, I think it was fine as a banner.

It just looks terrible chopped up and smushed onto a cover.

01.-Uncovered-Final-Fantasy-XV-Banner-Los-Angeles.jpg

KiraXD

Note: this is not talking about the quality of the game itself, pls don't jump on me.

I was looking at the Tesco website debating whether to pre-order, and it still blows my mind how utterly awful the cover art is.

What is Gladiolus pointing at? Where the fuck is Prompto going? Noctis' hilariously bad action pose. It just looks like dumb generic fighty game 22922828. This suggestion from the other thread:

would have been great.

Alternatively, as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it:

Reversible cover, sure, but that's not the first impression newcomers are going to have when they see it on the shelf. Also it just looks really bad. Blegh.

im gonna be honest... i love this image.

(Gladio is obviously pointing at the shit in the sky, and prompto just got out of the car and is sliding over the hood, is what i gather.)

H5Pc80c.jpg

jennetics

It's really not that hard to make sense of the artwork. The left half is actually pretty direct and it makes me wonder how you can't at least get an idea what he was going for.

Basically, you start at the left side. You can see the Citadel of Lucis in in front of the moon, symbolizing the begin of Noctis' journey. You can also see the Regalia together with Noctis and his companions alongside a blond woman (presumably Luna) getting captured by a knight. The right half shows a couple of the summons; Leviathan and Shiva are pretty easy to identify.

Yeah...I can see the Citadel and then it just becomes a garbled mess to my eyes, sorry!

wipeout364

I have not seen anything about this game that looks good. I have it preordered as a final fantasy fan but the pr on this game is atrocious. The main characters look the same, the car seems ridiculous, there are no female main characters, the E3 demos looked bad.
I really fear this will be a very poorly selling title for a main line final fantasy and I say this as a final fantasy fan.

Lorcain

The HD image of the cover really brings out the 90's vibe to it, like Streets of Rage with the dudes shirt open and his 12 pack showing, guy leaping over a car in an impossibly weird way, and the guy in front in some kind of modified rear facing horse stance.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I'm fine with it, the real problem is the title, why is it so damn tiny? Where is the awesome logo?

Calm Mind

That looks like an overdesigned mess.

#sorrynotsorry

Seriously Amano can do way better

-----------

The cover is horrific

I am gonna try to create the second cover someone posted from the poster released today. That looks GLORIOUS!

I must agree. This is not his best work *cough* FF6 art *cough*. Or maybe he overdesigned it because reflects the overall game perfectly. The general mood of this game from the marketing, presentation and mainstream response has been complicated at best.

Byvar

I got the deluxe edition because I found it the least gross out of all of the covers (except maybe Japan's standard cover, which is nice enough).
I just wish they'd went with something like this for the standard cover (this must be like the 4th time I post these, sorry for that):
Way more classy than the pure white or pure black from the reversible cover, the logo is actually centered well and no "day one edition" banner.

rhandino

Banned
Nah, I think it was fine as a banner.

It just looks terrible chopped up and smushed onto a cover.

01.-Uncovered-Final-Fantasy-XV-Banner-Los-Angeles.jpg
Yeah, I really disagree because as a banner it just looks like a bunch of spilled ink and all details are lost unless you are really close to it.

I still cannot at the fact that they chopped the most confusing, busy and yet more interesting part that art to fit it in the case.

Top Bottom