• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't get over how bad FFXV's cover is

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The cover looks like a boyband posing with fake weapons for a photoshoot/music video. Would have preferred the classy, European cover variant with just the logo on a white background.

Timu

Yep, I'll definitely take advantage of the reversible cover, but I agree that it's disappointing that the standard cover is rather bad.

Japan got the better cover:
The Japanese cover is the only good one it seems at least for standard edition.

Taruranto

Note: this is not talking about the quality of the game itself, pls don't jump on me.

I was looking at the Tesco website debating whether to pre-order, and it still blows my mind how utterly awful the cover art is.

WYIx2X9.jpg

What is Gladiolus pointing at? Where the fuck is Prompto going? Noctis' hilariously bad action pose. It just looks like dumb generic fighty game 22922828. This suggestion from the other thread:

Looks fine to me.

The other one made me question why it looks like they're getting married while being attacked, makes you think this is some kind of love story which as far as I know it isn't.

brad-t

It's clear that the intent of the cover is for the viewer to feel as if Noctis is protecting them. Noctis is focused on you, which was Gladio is trying to get his attention. I guess?

It's a really ugly cover though. Never forget that this was requested by Matt @ Square-Enix NA himself.

sublimit

Banned
Will the reversable cover have the title on its spine?It will look bad on my shelve among my other PS4 games if it's just black. :/ (yeah first world problems i know )

Edit:Oh the reversable cover also has the title on its spine, thank God.

Loved the JPN box art the moment I saw it; the one we're getting is terrible. Getting the steel book though.

Edit: holy shit the boy band edit. Complete 180, I love it now.

D.Va

Neo Member
It's sad that they have to make things "cool" to appeal to people in America. It's also sad that the box art had to have gone through at least 3+ people and they all ok'd it.

Reminds me of the terribleness of Mirror's Edge Catalyst's cover:

Yep, I'll definitely take advantage of the reversible cover, but I agree that it's disappointing that the standard cover is rather bad.

Japan got the better cover:

Even that cover is pretty nonsensical. Why are three of the walking, one of them carrying a load of bulky camping gear, with a car right there beside them. Ignis is asking them this exact question, from his pose.

Aenima

This is why you buy the Deluxe Edition for the steelbook.

QxDEz4c.jpg

Im actually buying the standard cover box as i dont like the art in the metal box, and i usually buy metal box editions.

The Japanese cover is better indeed, but i dont dislike the western cover.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The key art while nice doesn't make a good cover, ideally you want to show off the party considering the road trip theme, so while the actual cover isn't perfect it at least works. IMO they should've just copied the Beatles:

AudioEppa

I really like the Japanese one with them on the road. It gives off the vibe of going on an adventurous journey and that's the cover I would use for everywhere.

Would love to have that picture as a poster, or at least a background theme for ps4. Unfortunately their shitty UI wouldn't it show it off properly like back on XMB.

Burbeting

Banned
FF covers have been shit since FF13. Original artwork always trumps CG imo. Post MGS4 covers are terrible for the same reason.

Tell that to literally every single USA mainline FF cover since VII.

All of the USA FF covers since 8 are terrible. VII is only decent.

Top Bottom