• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't get over how bad FFXV's cover is

Mario007

Let's remember that the cover was the first time FF`s overseas marketing team did the cover. If you don't know who is the man in charge of the overseas marketing, its the same guy who messed up the Titan demo.

The marketing for this game has been a mess.

PMS341

The Amano art is still Amano art, and so the cover feels appropriate. It's like seeing Shinkawa with MGS.

That being said, I just realized the game came out so soon and now I feel slightly panicked. I don't buy many games day one but this one seems like it'll be worth it... might bite the bullet on that Deluxe.

I like this cover. It's got the simplicity of the logo on a white background, plus a good-looking render of the main character. I definitely could have gone for something like this again. I agree the FF15 cover we got is too busy and overdesigned.

My problem with this, and most game covers in general is just how played out the whole "main character only" cover is. With the 15 cover I see the 4 lead characters, a car, and the knights of the round. I can figure things out by looking at it, as opposed to "it starts a woman I guess" that 13s have.

I do stand by the Japanese cover is better but still.

I understand and largely share the love for the traditional logo, but man, that road artwork with no logo on top of it would be a perfect cover.

Mario007

The other one made me question why it looks like they're getting married while being attacked, makes you think this is some kind of love story which as far as I know it isn't.
Well the premise of the game is Noctis going to find his fiance to marry her but then his country is attacked.

theofficefan99

I love, love, love the art we got today. That should've been the cover.

I ordered the Deluxe edition but it's honestly so fucking ugly. It's washed out, waaaaayyy too busy... it's just ugly. The poster that compared it to doodles in an Algebra book was accurate. Every time I look at it the word "vomit" comes to mind. Idk what they were thinking making it the cover?

Pachinko

If I were designing it , and I was also forced to make sure that the following elements were used - all 4 party members , a sense of adventure, visible weapons to imply combat , floating shit in the sky to stir mystery in what lies ahead , hell perhaps even a visible road and most importantly - the freaking car - I mean, this should have been a no brainer.

You place Noctis in the center , holding his sword aloft / skyward. Gladio to right, Ignis above and Prompto to the left. They are all depicted smaller, there's no scale here. All of them holding their weapons.

Logo is on upper third of design , SQUARE logo on lower right, as is standard Background should have a bluish lower half depicting Insomnia , showing small heads of Regis and Cor , a split down the middle is vaguely a highway , Luna is on the right side (maybe her handmaidens head is next to hers and then on the upper left looking down is the emperor and his adviser , the upper portion of the background showcases Lucian drop ships and the far background an army of vague shapes meant to represent magitek soldiers. The far back ground could still maintain the knights of the round clouds.

I'm far too lazy to actually make this up though. It would look even better if they got it drawn up classic hollywood movie poster style.

As for the car ? well, just use the japanese box art as the back cover art but have all 4 bros sitting next to the car with a couple of screenshots and the tag line "an epic road trip adventure awaits". :p

In all honesty though, plain black background with logo centered would be my go to option.

Nester99

Bring back the solid red background !

final-fantasy-iv-snes-us.jpg

Exr

Cancelled my preorder. Was looking forward to this game for years but I don't want that trash cover on my shelf. Maybe next FF....

bobawesome

Cancelled my preorder. Was looking forward to this game for years but I don't want that trash cover on my shelf. Maybe next FF....

Must be tiring to keep up that smug persona all the time just so people will quote your avatar.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The only standard cover for post-Nintendo FF I've liked is FFX. CGI models by themselves stopped being amazing about fifteen years ago.

Quonny

Such a weird thing to complain about. You're only going to see it for maybe 90 seconds your entire life. Rest of the time it's either going to be in a drawer or facing you sideways.

redcrayon

I like this cover. It's got the simplicity of the logo on a white background, plus a good-looking render of the main character. I definitely could have gone for something like this again. I agree the FF15 cover we got is too busy and overdesigned.
That's just a typical US game cover that feels the need to have a picture of the protagonist holding a weapon on it spoiling the effect though, as the marketing teams are terrified anyone might think a game isn't going to have combat in it. The EU ones with the white covers, with a logo that has a bit of detail to it, are much better.

Agree that the FFXV one seems busy to me, it's completely unnecessary, it's the fifteenth mainline entry of a series that's been running for thirty years and has umpteen dozen spin-offs. If FFVII was fine with a white cover when barely anyone in Europe had played FF before, I don't see how this needs to shout 'Swords! Friendship! Ancient gods! Travel!' It's kind of a given with FF.

Raziel

What is happening in the Japanese cover?

Why are three of them walking alongside the car instead of inside the car?

looking at that alt cover...man why are the women dressed so elegantly in nomura games and then the men look like gothic circus clowns. such a strange gap in quality of fashion and design when looking at both characters on that cover.

That alternative suggestion doesn't tell me anything about the game. My first thought when looking at it was "This is a Japanese dating sim." It's a nice piece of artwork from the game, but that doesn't mean it's a good cover.

The actual cover is pretty bad for the reasons you outlined, but it does at least tell you right away a general sense of what is in the game. It tells you that it's open world, there's a car (and therefore, driving), weapons (and therefore, combat), and some scary-looking boss characters you probably have to defeat that seem very powerful judging by how much space they take up on the cover.

That alternative cover tells me almost none of that except for the swords I guess.

Gemeanie

What is happening in the Japanese cover?

Why are three of them walking alongside the car instead of inside the car?
They're sick of pushing the car while Ignis does nothing so they're gonna leave him alone and set up the camp for the night.

That's what I get from Ignis's WTF hand signal anyway.

Raybunny

You gotta thank that SE guy saying they worked hard on a ugly cover....

Either way you can flip it and have the logo on a black background which is defo the way to go.

Got myself the Deluxe cause you know them art.

Lunafreya

I really wish the new visual art was the cover, maybe a edited one with the friends around Noctis and Luna instead of soldiers.

Yeah I love this one. Also think Regis holding Baby-Noct is good too. Clearly my dad-hood is coloring my opinion on these.

well i think noctis relationship with his father and his upcoming role as a ruler is as important as his relationship with his friends.

So i wouldn't mind that one too.
Actually that's the one i'll get

Top Bottom