• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I legitimately believe Pokemon Sun and Moon was used to influence the U.S. Election.

bionic77

In the past, I would have said "You are crazy, OP" but seeing all of the Russian meddling makes me believe that anything is possible.
Yeah a year ago this would be considered crazy but the whole fucking country and most of the world have gone crazy so who knows.

This would not even be the craziest thing involving our government this week.

Marcel

iNOWGMy.jpg

inner-G

Banned
Well, the Russians did use Pokémon Go for stirring up drama so it may not be far off: http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/12/media/dont-shoot-us-russia-pokemon-go/index.html

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1446971

The donotshoot.us website in turn links to a Tumblr account. In July 2016, this Tumblr account announced a contest encouraging readers to play Pokémon Go, the augmented reality game in which users go out into the real world and use their phones to find and "train" Pokémon characters.

Specifically, the Don't Shoot Us contest directed readers to go to find and train Pokémon near locations where alleged incidents of police brutality had taken place. Users were instructed to give their Pokémon names corresponding with those of the victims. A post promoting the contest showed a Pokémon named "Eric Garner," for the African-American man who died after being put in a chokehold by a New York Police Department officer.

Winners of the contest would receive Amazon gift cards, the announcement said.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I started this thread by posting a link where CNN explains how Russia made a fake Black Lives Matter group in Pokemon Go to influence the election.

I mean it's easy to laugh this off and go "you're crazy", but I don't see the downside in looking into this. It's not like I'm expressing a dangerous idea that could get people hurt like the Pizza Gate folks, it's something that could easily be investigated and I think at this point why not?

Couldn't just the kids check the leaks through their phones anyway?
Am "kid", have phone. Can confirm this is possible.

I'm not sure those too glued to pokemon leaks coming from 4chan to go vote but who otherwise would've is a very large demographic, though. Speaking from my ass, I'd put it at <100 nationwide, seriously.

Tain

"everything is russian dezinformatsiya" is maybe the funniest way that the election broke everyone's brain

I mean, I guess this is possible? But seriously, with absolute numbers, how many people in the US were actually that interested in finding out the S/M leaks? So interested that they were basically glued to their computers?

I can't possibly imagine it was that many. I'm thinking in the hundreds at most.

kiguel182

Nobody saying they did it and millions of people didnt vote. But they could be just thinking every little bit counts. Its kinda how somebody say, "well my vote aint going to count anyway."

Nothing of the stuff described in the OP makes any sense.

How many people do you think are that might not vote because of a Pokemon leak that justifies the effort to do this? It’s an insignificant amount for a not so insignificant effort.

Rellik

I'm worried about some GAF members. Some of you aren't normal and need to leave your gaming bubble. Yes you OP.

But I mean if its true the the US deserves everything they get. Why would you skip out on indirectly deciding the fate of the world for freaking pokemans?

I cannot accept this

I mean sure we do but come on its fuckin donald trump. You know how many people had this mindset of he gonna lose anyway?

Unlikely? Yes
Possible? Yes

Tbh I wouldn’t put anything past Russia. They likely spent millions to influence the election, and they will have tried numerous different approaches to achieve what they want. That said, it is probably just a coincidence.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Also here was the thread on GAF made when the game leaked...

It got up to 112 pages.

I don't think I'm that off saying it was a fairly big deal and something I could easily see people spending most of their day looking at if they didn't have anything better to do...and for many "going to vote" sadly wasn't a better use of their time.

jesu

I realized this thread was made after this but

Holy shit OP

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446971

edit: ^^^poster above and OP are meddling with my head

Read the opening post people, it's already mentioned.

Tagyhag

Am "kid", have phone. Can confirm this is possible.

I'm not sure those too glued to pokemon leaks coming from 4chan to go vote but who otherwise would've is a very large demographic, though. Speaking from my ass, I'd put it at <100 nationwide, seriously.

You're right, but something doesn't have to be effective to be true.

It could have just been just a Trump supporter not affiliated with Russia, but crazier things have happened to influence us during this election.

Top Bottom