• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I legitimately believe Pokemon Sun and Moon was used to influence the U.S. Election.

It sounds dumb, but it's not far fetched.

Even PINTEREST, yes, PINTEREST admitted today that Russia was influencing on their site, too.

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecu...ussians-used-site-as-repository-for-political

Up until they confirmed it, you probably would have had the exact same reaction about that, too, wouldn't you?

No, because that's all online and it's all based on social activity.

This guy is insinuating that a Russian hacker released Sun and Moon early for the people who play illegally released 3DS ROMS, a very specific group of people, in order to somehow influence the election by making them play Pokemon all day.

woopWOOP

lol

So any guesses how many people you think they got to stop voting with their Pokemon news distraction operation?

Korigama

November 7th, 2016. The day of the election.
Except that was the day before the election.
03-073436-new_pokemon_character_looks_like_donald_trump.jpg

it all makes sense

I went in expecting this to be about the Trump weasel. I was greeted with something considerably more insane, where the OP was actually being serious.

Marcel

Also here was the thread on GAF made when the game leaked...

It got up to 112 pages.

I don't think I'm that off saying it was a fairly big deal and something I could easily see people spending most of their day looking at if they didn't have anything better to do...and for many "going to vote" sadly wasn't a better use of their time.

I don't think I'm that off saying you spend too much time reading alarmist news about Russia.

kiguel182

No, because that's all online and it's all based on social activity.

This guy is insinuating that a Russian hacker released Sun and Moon early for the people who play illegally released 3DS ROMS, a very specific group of people, in order to somehow influence the election by making them play Pokemon all day.

You got to love how people take stuff and then extrapolate in the craziest ways.

cyba89

It got up to 112 pages.

I don't think I'm that off saying it was a fairly big deal and something I could easily see people spending most of their day looking at if they didn't have anything better to do...and for many "going to vote" sadly wasn't a better use of their time.

Dude. Stop.

Go outside and catch some fresh air for a bit.

105.Will

I mean, I've heard crazier. I'm willing to belive some people didn't vote because they were to busy playing Pokemon. I highly doubt this was a plan, but hey, could happen

Aters

I legitimately believe Russian hackers stole my GBM and used the Pokemon Ruby cartridge in it to manipulate US election.

You're right, but something doesn't have to be effective to be true.
No, but what's scarier:
-Russians finding an ineffective way to tamper with elections
-Russians finding an effective way to tamper with elections

Both are bad, but the former doesn't have nearly the same consequences. Which is why I find this particular thread funny. True or not, I can honestly laugh at it.

Edit: trimmed quote to make what I was responding to clearer.

wetalo

TRUMP IS SECRETLY AN EVIL GENIUS

HE KNOWS NO ONE CAN RESIST THE URGE TO PLAY POKEMON

Egads! It was so clearly written too! I just had to pry open my third eye!

I swear I'm not being an asshole. But maybe you should see a professional. I was having a lot of crazy fucking thoughts/conspiracies right before I cracked.

Tagyhag

I wonder how hard the Russians tried to use NeoGAF.

Considering some of the shit posts that I saw before and during the election, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some.

Obviously not as much as bigger sites like Reddit.

No, but what's scarier:
-Russians finding an ineffective way to tamper with elections
-Russians finding an effective way to tamper with elections

Both are bad, but the former doesn't have nearly the same consequences. Which is why I find this particular thread funny. True or not, I can honestly laugh at it.

Oh yeah that I understand, if it was used for that, it probably stopped like 5 people lol.

I just don't think that it's impossible that someone could have done this, Russia or not.

Highly unlikely? Sure

Impossible? No

RRockman

Banned
And I get the message saying I make bad threads.

Lol, No you dont. Your threads are magic compared to "kill guys wife and take his place"

Yall acting like the OP said he's 100% sure this happend lol.

Ok, I missed that entire pokemon go thing. I guess it because I dont really use social media other than forums. (I dont ever intend on starting either, I probably would have been caught into that crap) That ups the plausibility here, but I still find it hard to believe.

That's baseless speculation. While it's technically possible, it has no backing in evidence. Therefore, I recommend not worrying about it seriously.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I did get my dates messed up but that doesn't change it...the leaks started around November 7th pretty late and really picked up around November 8th and were pretty much at their peak then.

I remember seeing "GENGAR LOSES LEVITATE!" right as I was headed to the polls. That was a big deal to those really in the competitive scene.

kiguel182

It got up to 112 pages.

The top 10 posters of that thread are like a fifth of the thread.

Even if every post and view is unique how do you even know they are American? It’s such a low number compared to the amount of voters that are.

“People who go crazy for Pokemon leaks” aren’t that big of a group.

Top Bottom