• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I legitimately believe Pokemon Sun and Moon was used to influence the U.S. Election.

Trago

GxTnK.gif

Marcel

I did get my dates messed up but that doesn't change it...the leaks started around November 7th pretty late and really picked up around November 8th and were pretty much at their peak then.

I remember seeing "GENGAR LOSES LEVITATE!" right as I was headed to the polls. That was a big deal to those really in the competitive scene.

Wow, I can't believe Gengar cost Hilldog the election. Crazy stuff, Mulder. Where do the greys and chemtrails fit in?

Moonlight

Banned
I did get my dates messed up but that doesn't change it...the leaks started around November 7th pretty late and really picked up around November 8th and were pretty much at their peak then.

I remember seeing "GENGAR LOSES LEVITATE!" right as I was headed to the polls. That was a big deal to those really in the competitive scene.
My dude. Think about what you're saying. About how many people really had 'Gengar lost Levitate!' that day and the highly competent yet cartoonishly stupid KGB agents that somehow enacted this plan to distract people with changes of varying importance to competitive Pokemon.

Proving once again that piracy of video games isn't just wrong, but makes you a bad person.

I don't know if I'm being sarcastic or not at this point.

Nheco

*Check url* yes, I'm on neogaf.

For a moment I thought that I was o weird shit ufo forum that i read sometimes for laughs

collige

Banned
This is actually kind of plausible except for two parts:
1. How would Russian astroturfers get access to the leaked game or recruit someone who had the leak?
2. Why would they assume this would depress voter turnout in any meaningful way?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So most of those people were supposed to vote for the same candidate?
I think most young voters if they bothered to vote probably would've gone for Hillary, even those who joked about liking Trump and were on 4chan and such and weren't mindless bots I'd like to believe would've probably voted Hillary had they cared enough to actually go to the poll. I think Russia realized this and any method to decrease young voters from turning up would probably work in their favor.

Particularly since the target audience isn't even old enough to vote lol

Pokemon has a huge peripheral audience of those who can vote who grew up with the series, and nostalgia for it was at an all time high when Sun and Moon was released thanks to Pokemon Go.

I don't think this was some long planned deal or anything like that though. Probably an opening they saw and took.

Poppy

no wonder obama won the election, since he wasn’t born in this region the masuda method increased his odds

Dunkley

First it was that weird ass thread killing someone’s spouse and replacing them in a rpg, but now this?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.jpg

It's a good week for GAF.

You are vastly overestimating just how many people are interested in pre-release leaks. Did it keep someone from going to the polls? Probably, 'Murica has a lot of people.

Was it a sizable number by any means? Gonna be bold here and say no.

Kyzer

Banned
Watch Da Birdie what % of voters do you think are big enough pokemon fans to not vote because sumo info was leaking on video game forums

Thorakai

Guaranteed that the russians have Neogaf accounts for the sole purpose of flaming system wars, keep your eyes open in the next MPD thread people.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Also here was the thread on GAF made when the game leaked...

It got up to 112 pages.

I don't think I'm that off saying it was a fairly big deal and something I could easily see people spending most of their day looking at if they didn't have anything better to do...and for many "going to vote" sadly wasn't a better use of their time.

Birdie, I posted in that thread and I was never going to vote in the US election as I am not a citizen of the US and I wager that it was the case for other members that posted in that thread.

Pokémon Sun and Moon was not used to influence the US election and if anyone decided to not to go out and vote and decided to spend more times reading up the leaks then chances was that person was never going to vote in the first place.

Russia is shorting inventory of the SNES Mini to create fear and panic. It fills the working class with a sense of urgency and desperation, causing them to turn on each other.

It undermines Nintendo's own manufacturing claims of supposedly ample stock and sews distrust of their authority. Unable to acquire a SNES Mini, the populace is malleable and easily manipulated. Courtesy is replaced with hostility. Trust is replaced with doubt. Unrest becomes the new normal.

And then it's dos vedanya, comrades.

Join me in the underground. We will be soldiers against this shadowy threat. We are only blind if we don't believe. NeoGAF, believe.

Ambient80

Pokemon has a huge peripheral audience of those who can vote who grew up with the series, and nostalgia for it was at an all time high when Sun and Moon was released thanks to Pokemon Go.

I don't think this was some long planned deal or anything like that though. Probably an opening they saw and took.

Peripheral audience means minority, or less than half. So less than half of the people who would care about this info. Now take how many of those are in the US. Now take how many of those who could vote, but actually did not vote. Now take how many of those even knew about it and cared about this info being leaked. Now correlate that with the number who didn’t vote and find ones that match that criteria, and who were DIRECTLY influenced to not vote BECAUSE OF the info being leaked. Now take how many of those people would have voted for Clinton or even just “not Trump”.

If it’s anything more than maybe 100 people I would be absolutely floored. The onus of proof falls on the one making the claim, and there’s no objective data to back up the assertion.

spad3

Damn those minors who can't vote for ruining the election. Stop meddling in affairs you don't understand gotdammit

Gee wonder what had more sway. Pokemon info leaking or an entire movement developing around harassment and basically creating a divide of with or against and pulling them down a dark politically charged path.

Something from within the community definitely came to a head during the election, but it's not a fucking Pokemon leak.

Top Bottom