• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Dark Soul 3 confirmed real by leaked promo art - Early 2016

HoJu

meh, i felt burnt out from the formula after Bloodborne. i was hoping Miyazaki would do something completely different next because the guy has talent.

functional pvp?

Do you need a reminder of the horrible netcode and lag?

If DSII doesn't have functional PVP, the entire series didn't because the netcode in that was better than the lot, particularly Demon's.

You'd get your bad matchup every now and again but my experiences with PVP in DSII were mostly favorable compared to the other games.

Rurunaki

meh, i felt burnt out from the formula after Bloodborne. i was hoping Miyazaki would do something completely different next because the guy has talent.

He did say he wanted to get back to Armored Core. Unless I missed something, Miyazaki would be pretty much just a producer for this game as opposed to directing it.

If DSII doesn't have functional PVP, the entire series didn't because the netcode in that was better than the lot, particularly Demon's.

You'd get your bad matchup every now and again but my experiences with PVP in DSII were mostly favorable compared to the other games.

This.

Dark Souls 2's netcode was janky but it was still the best of the Souls-style games, including Bloodborne.

No Souls game's multiplayer compares to the shitshow that is Bloodborne.

I don't know what they were thinking with the new summoning/getting summoned system.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Dark Souls 2 matchmaking: godly
Dark Souls 2 netcode: shitpoop. Though really, it's less about the netcode being bad, and more that the way that the netcode operates doesn't really jive well with the kind of game DkS2 is.

No Souls game's multiplayer compares to the shitshow that is Bloodborne.

I don't know what they were thinking with the new summoning/getting summoned system.
The only thing I liked about Bloodborne multiplayer aspect, was it was really easy to play with my RL friend using the password. We never had any issues. I didn't have that much issues after the first few weeks. I was unable to be summon using the password for 2 weeks maybe? Also I never done coop for the souls games, so I can't comment if it's easy or not to find a specific person to play with.

Foffy

Banned
Imru’ al-Qays;167082409 said:
Humanity was in infinite supply for exactly no one their first playthrough of Dark Souls. It was a rare resource that you used for something as crass as healing only when absolutely necessary.

Actually, I had zero trouble getting Humanity in the game before any patches. The key was to farm the rats in the sewers, who were always the easiest and most common route to get Humanity early in the game. I believe the Artorias expansion makes this much easier and more common to do, but you can access that content as early as the halfway mark in the game. The sewers can be accessed really early on.

To the sequels credit, Human Effigies are far more rarer to get and come with the risk of actually being a truly finite resource unless you use the Covenant of Champions or using Bonfire Ascetics to farm, but that intentionally makes the enemies harder to kill. But they sure as shit like to give you a lot of them in Scholar of the First Sin; I may have died about 70 times so far - I'm essentially done with almost everything to do in the main game save for the DLC and the Pilgrims of Dark sidequest - and I have around 47 Human Effigies on me. Most of these are probably from the increased Red Phantom invasions the core game has, to be fair.

Either way, I would like a Humanity system like the first Dark Souls. I think losing your max HP when you die per death can be at risk of heavily punishing players who might be stuck in one location, as even Demon's Souls handled health better. One might say it could make one more responsive to what they're fighting with to "git gud" at it, but what if their health depletes to such a level that a single shot can now kill them? They'd have to play perfectly, and that is just horsehsit as far as I'm concerned. Dying itself is showcasing an error on the players behalf, which itself is the technique to get better, but actively punishing them and increasing the likelihood of dying sooner makes it a little artificial.

Meciu

Some of my friends will be really happy today. Me? Not so much. I'm waiting for another Bloodborne in 2018 maybe? :D

Shinjica

Let's hope the PC version will not be 1 month delay release

Like what? It's by far the best multiplayer (both competetively and cooperatively) in any of the games.

- really difficult to invade in NG because of the rarity of the red cracked orbs (the fact the put a seller in NG+ show that was intended for the newbie)
- Soul memory
- The ring that dont let lose your soul. It make PVP encounter during your adventure less scary
- Arena. I prefer that PVP should be during your adventure and not in a specific place.

Hopefully it will have less shield enemies. I liked the Anor Londo giants in DS1, but the shield-bearing enemies in ds2 track you so hard that it's difficult to slip a hit around the side of the shields.

Either way, super excited for it. Hopefully PVP will be easier (Easier to invade, get invaded etc.) than it was in ds2.

spliced

The most important thing they need to change in online play is to allow summoning and invading across all zones. If you have someone that wants help with a boss and another person that wants to help people in coop they should be able to connect even if they aren't in the same zone, to not allow this is doesn't make any sense(unless it's a technical limitation). Not only does this make sense practically I think it could add some intrigue to the process since you don't know where you'll show up.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Apologize, but at some places it seem like people are saying that this is made by the "B" team a.k.a. the Dark Souls II team? Any credence to this?

If the console version is 30 fps I'd take even half a year delay just to play it @60 on PC. Souls games at 30 fps are just a no no.

Somewhat unrelated but I heard about the weapon durability glitch in Dark Souls 2 Scholar of 1st Sin due to how for some reason since it is 60 fps the game counts more durability loss when a weapon makes contact with an enemy since it uses more frames or something? Is that true?

Durante

Let's hope the PC version will not be 1 month delay release
I'd prefer it to be day and date as well, but I wouldn't mind a one month wait much either. Didn't really matter for DS2.

I'll be waiting however long it takes, given that everyone I want to play Souls with is on PC.

- really difficult to invade in NG because of the rarity of the red cracked orbs (the fact the put a seller in NG+ show that was intended for the newbie)
- Soul memory
I guess so. Both of these do accomplish the goal of reducing griefing. They may be a bit overzealous about it, but I still had more PVP encounters in DS2 than DS1 so it can't be that bad.

- The ring that dont let lose your soul. It make PVP encounter during your adventure less scary
That was in DS1 as well. Though I guess you could only get, what, 15(?) per NG.

- Arena. I prefer that PVP should be during your adventure and not in a specific place.
It's just an addition though, not a replacement.

Xiraiya

Somewhat unrelated but I heard about the weapon durability glitch in Dark Souls 2 Scholar of 1st Sin due to how for some reason since it is 60 fps the game counts more durability loss when a weapon makes contact with an enemy since it uses more frames or something? Is that true?

It's actually more to do with enemy corpses and stuff like that, it registers a single hit as many hits for some reason.
So it's probably something like that, yes.

The B team thing is just a natural conclusion because Miyazaki's team was working on Bloodborne after Dark Souls PTDE came out, and so the other team were left to do Dark Souls 2, and since Bloodborne was still being done, they probably went straight to DS3.

The B team stuff doesn't REALLY matter, they made a great game even if it's a weaker Souls game, they seem dedicated to learn from their mistakes and Dark Souls II's flaws more or less come down to a lack of Miyazaki direction, since he is now the boss at FROM, he can probably poke his head in wherever, the early screenshots implied a more blatant Miyazaki influence in DS3, but we'll see.

GorillaJu

Apologize, but at some places it seem like people are saying that this is made by the "B" team a.k.a. the Dark Souls II team? Any credence to this?

I personally take issue with the idea of a 'B' team. I think most would agree that what DS2 lacked in mood, atmosphere, level design and game feel, BB had in typical Miyazaki abundance... yet DS2 and BB share a good amount of staff.

Games gain and lose members on the project as they reach later stages in development. I think their 'A' team and their 'B' team have rather significant overlap. The difference is that Miyazaki will probably be a lot more hands-on with DS3 and Bloodborne than he was with DS2.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The B team thing is just a natural conclusion because Miyazaki's team was working on Bloodborne after Dark Souls PTDE came out, and so the other team were left to do Dark Souls 2, and since Bloodborne was still being done, they probably went straight to DS3.

The B team stuff doesn't REALLY matter, they made a great game even if it's a weaker Souls game, they seem dedicated to learn from their mistakes and Dark Souls II's flaws more or less come down to a lack of Miyazaki direction, since he is now the boss at FROM, he can probably poke his head in wherever, the early screenshots implied a more blatant Miyazaki influence in DS3, but we'll see.

I personally take issue with the idea of a 'B' team. I think most would agree that what DS2 lacked in mood, atmosphere, level design and game feel, BB had in typical Miyazaki abundance... yet DS2 and BB share a good amount of staff.

Games gain and lose members on the project as they reach later stages in development. I think their 'A' team and their 'B' team have rather significant overlap. The difference is that Miyazaki will probably be a lot more hands-on with DS3 and Bloodborne than he was with DS2.

I agree that it doesn't really matter so long as the quality of the game reflects that.

Hmm, I wonder if that weapon durability glitch is also present in the PS4 version of Dark Souls II... seems really, really annoying....

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's just an addition though, not a replacement.

Not to mention the arenas were not where most of the pvp went down. Most of it took place on the Iron Keep bridge or in the DLC. There was a lot in Heide's Tower and inside Drangleic Castle as well and in the bell towers

We'll see, but it feels like it's coming out too fast. Hopefully it'll be better than DS2, looking back I wasn't impressed with that game.

Xiraiya

Yeah, I think technically, aside from the lighting system being ripped out and not fully restored, Dark Souls II's real problem was it's direction, or lack there of, which is a pretty significant issue.

- Animations/hit boxes (Floaty and flimsy movement with nonsensical parrying logic)
- Area layout design (Impossible space problems and lack of clever shortcuts/connections)
- Contradictory lore implications (They couldn't decide if Drangleic was once Lordran or not, an interview with the director placed them on opposite sides of the world but the game implies otherwise, like the exact same sun alter MODEL ripped out of DS1 and placed into some area with no real reason or changes being made to it despite it probably being beyond insanely ancient)

If more thought had been put into the game's design and how it plays, I really do think it could have ended up surpassing Demon Souls and Dark Souls, or going completely toe to toe with them at the very least.

Despite it's issues it wasn't too far off just from the sheer amount of content in the game.

NEO0MJ

I agree that it doesn't really matter so long as the quality of the game reflects that.

Hmm, I wonder if that weapon durability glitch is also present in the PS4 version of Dark Souls II... seems really, really annoying....

I think they fixed that problem now. Play the game, it's really good!

If the console version is 30 fps I'd take even half a year delay just to play it @60 on PC. Souls games at 30 fps are just a no no.

It will be 30 FPS based on Bloodborne, and they'll probably reuse a lot of stuff from that game to save time and money.

I'm probably gonna get flak for saying this but

I'm hoping they'd include guns in DSIII, though it might not suit the theme and era and all.
They could work around it. Something like muskets or gun powdered pistols or something.

They were so cool in Bloodborne!
All that was left for my pirate cosplay character in DSII was a proper gun xD

I guess I shouldn't really be saying this until the game gets formally revealed..

KaneU

Wow... That is really too soon, I hope it gets delayed until Q4 of next year, too many games are releasing in Q1/Q2.

Actually, I had zero trouble getting Humanity in the game before any patches. The key was to farm the rats in the sewers, who were always the easiest and most common route to get Humanity early in the game. I believe the Artorias expansion makes this much easier and more common to do, but you can access that content as early as the halfway mark in the game. The sewers can be accessed really early on.

Humanity in Dark Souls is one of the most stupid gameplay mechanics I ever witnessed.

It's basically an important resource in the game that you get by endlessly killing the same stupid rats at the same place for hours and hours.

Ferr986

Not to mention the arena were not where most of the pvp went down. Most of it took place on the Iron Keep bridge or in the DLC. There was a lot in Heide's Tower and inside Drangleic Castle as well and in the bell towers

Also an arena was present in DS1 too. It's not something exclusive from DS2.

Yeah, I think technically, aside from the lighting system being ripped out and not fully restored, Dark Souls II's real problem was it's direction, or lack there of, which is a pretty significant issue.

Yes, direction of DS2 was a problem, thats why they switched directors during development, and also that's why the DLC is vastly better in it's level design.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Thank you. Most sense I've seen on here in a while.

Still don't believe it! It's way too soon, and the screens seems strange.

Or maybe there's a From Team C working on it since the release of Dark Souls 2?

If they take my Arena I'm going to be pissed. I love world PvP but sometimes you want to just go from duel to duel. What I want them to do is make it available early on, not tied to any covenants and for the the love of Gwynn don't have any of those hideous auras. My fashion souls was destroyed cause of that damn red aura and I didn't want to use a ring slot to remove it.

Castef

Banned

They also share a similar MetaCritic average... :p ;)

I do love the souls games, still not sure how I feel about them coming out yearly though.

I'll play it since I usually play through them once and put it aside (apart from Dark Souls which I played multiple times) and playing one per year isn't hard to do but it is hard to get excited for it. DS2 was decent but nowhere near as good as DS or BB.

In almost every way, yes.

Bloodborne is a great game, with an amazing atmosphere, lore and art direction, but also a simplified and more streamlined experience compared to the Souls games.

If you care about "built-variety", maybe. Considering that everything that's not melee-combat is a shitshow in Souls, I'm not very convinced this matters a whole lot though.

Top Bottom