• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the end, did Linkin Park deserve all the hate they got? Does it even matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1pevls7jA

I was at this show. I can't believe someone actually bootlegged it and it's on YouTube now. It's a lot of fun to be able to relive it, it was a great time. Hybrid Theory had just released 2 weeks prior and they opened for 3 or 4 other bands that night.

It's worth a watch, it was a great performance especially the vocals.

No way man, I never listened to LP when they were popular, but got into them a few years ago. Great music. I find I usually love stuff about 10-15 years after it loses popularity. Ha!

Salsa

I don't hink they get hate. the "im gonna go listen to" and emo associations cause of crawling are just like a meme

they do have pretty cringey lyrics tho

J-Rzez

Good group. Can't say I liked the lyrics all that much, but the music and Chester's voice were pretty damn good for the most part.

Never thought they got a lot of hate, or at least that I noticed. I mean, Nickleback and Taylor Swift, now there's some hate that's clear as day.

DeSo

Banned
People need to give Hunting Party a listen. They've ditched the limp-dick ballads and soft rock from their last few albums. They've moved on from nu-metal, this is hard rock with some punk and thrash mixed in, really listenable. This is the best thing they've done since Meteora.

I can't believe I'm discussing and rating a LP album in 2015 haha.

I still enjoy Linkin Park, even if only for its nostalgic value. Heck, I've enjoyed everything prior to their latest album, really.

I was never really into Linkin Park, but I think Somewhere I Belong has some of the strongest lyrics I've heard in a mainstream song.

He is right.

Music is the most useless thing to argue about. Everyone thinks they listen to superior music. I've got a breaks and house DJ friend who takes every chance he gets to rip into mainstream EDM like the two are so different.

Add the cult of personality on top and popularity as a pivot and music criticism is a shit show.

Also stop expecting everything to last forever. Some things are made to be consumed, enjoyed, and then mostly forgotten about.

Some people just forget how easily disposable most music is nowadays.

When EDM dies a slow death, people won't remember Hardwell or Above and Beyond. I doubt people will remember Martin Garrix or Deadmau5.

It's like that with a whole lot of musical acts that come and go like the wind.

Linkin Park I feel won't be memorable past those 2 albums.

Dynedom

I still listen to Hybrid Theory every now and then, tbh. Catchy songs.

Never identified with the lyrics when I was a teenager.

that one moment in the Sopranos when an instrumental Linkin Park track was used was really effective, i'll give them that.

cant post a link because android is total ass, but you can find it on youtube just searching "sopranos linkin park". i dunno what it is about it, but it's one of the most mesmerising scenes i've seen on tv (and NOT because of titties).

Oemenia

Banned
Reanimation however was a great album, its stood up extremely well. Shinoda is very talented but he wasted it making generic music.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Once in a while when my friends snickers that I listened to Linkin Park heavily when I was 12-14, I remind him he listened to ICP in his last two years of high school. Shuts him the fuck up.

I have the first two albums on my Spotify playlists for nostalgic reasons. Enjoy pop and rap more now.

TCRS

Banned
they were pretty cool back then

~I tried so hard and got so far
But in the end it doesn't even matter.~
yuzuriha_inori___forum_signature_by_noctak-d5tl0w6.png

Some people just forget how easily disposable most music is nowadays.

When EDM dies a slow death, people won't remember Hardwell or Above and Beyond. I doubt people will remember Martin Garrix or Deadmau5.

It's like that with a whole lot of musical acts that come and go like the wind.

Linkin Park I feel won't be memorable past those 2 albums.

Music has always been disposable. It usually drops into a place and time and dates incredibly quickly mostly due to association. In fact music probably has the most association of any media.

No one starts off crafting their record as though it is going to be timeless. Master of Puppets of Nevermind or what have you just happen to hit that near perfect sound that remains somewhat contemporary.

Culture Club, Hall and Oats, Glass Tiger, Amy Grant, or whatever had their moment and it then passed on. Voice of a summer or part of a decade and then used as a nostalgic throwback to set a time.

I like EDM right now simply because I get the game around it. Create a song that people are into for 6 months and then disappear. If you want to stay on top you better have a new song out every 3 months. It creates a flood of new disposable music that is trying to top pwhat was done before. Yeah people still listen to Tiesto but I imagine few people are listening farther back than his latest release.

Any decade is lucky to create a dozen acts that are still relevant going into the next one. Fashion is a big part of it.

Technical skill, brilliant lyrics, etc means nothing. Sometimes simplicity is better. Fast intricate guitar means nothing if the song has no impact. People would still be enamoured with classical music if layers and depth were appreciated hallmarks.

So maybe "I'm about to break!" says more to someone than a paragraph of poetry.

Joe

I think disposable music is much more likely to come from musical hacks.

If you're an artist and you're trying to give people what you think they want then you're a hack - and I think if you do this your music, while still being good at the moment, will age terribly and ultimately be disposable.

If you're in the studio making the exact record you want to make artistically then I think your album is much more likely to stand the test of time.

Azuran

Banned
People just love to hate what's popular because they can't stand that people like them more than their crappy indie bands that still play in their parent's garage.

There's worse crap out there than Linkin Park. Furthermore, the entire nu metal hate is ridiculous especially when it's coming from wannabe metalheads that think Bullet for my Valentine is heavy as hell.

Dead

well not really...yet
Now that I'm not some early 20s pitchfork reading turd, I can't say I care either way. No hate and can admit I've dug a few of their songs.

They would have probably gotten less hate if they didn't change their band name from Hybrid Theory to Linkin Park though.

Despera

Banned
Hybrid Theory and Meteora are awesome. Their other stuff though were mostly bad except for a coulple of stand out tracks.

They were mostly after my time, so I avoided being annoyed by them on the radio. But I'll just go ahead and file them in the gigantic filing cabinet of overplayed, ultra-commercial alternative that killed radio rock.

Akahige

Idk I still like them, one of the few bands I loved in my early teen years that is listenable.

Yeah the lyrics are iffy on more than a few of their songs but Minutes to Midnight, A Thousand Suns & The Hunting Party are great imo, honestly can't stand the first two albums anymore.

I wonder why they got more hate than Limp Bizcuit or Korn, who were in the similar rap rock movement?

It's because of their continued success.

The perception is that they don't deserve it past Meteora.

Realty is that people tolerate the newer stuff(which for the most part ranges from meh to passable) just to hear them go back to nu metel hits like In The End. They can't escape that early studio success.

Having been to a Linkin Park concert recently, stadium erupts when anything Hybrid Theory or Meteora is played. Some hits from Minutes to Midnight also get rotated into the set list regularly. But the new stuff? It receives lukewarm applause.

I think disposable music is much more likely to come from musical hacks.

If you're an artist and you're trying to give people what you think they want then you're a hack - and I think if you do this your music, while still being good at the moment, will age terribly and ultimately be disposable.

If you're in the studio making the exact record you want to make artistically then I think your album is much more likely to stand the test of time.

Counting Crows probably put their heart and soul into August and Everything After or Recovering the Satellites and you can hear it in the albums. That doesn't mean that the music and the band didn't end up being mostly forgotten even though they sold insane amounts of copies. Not hacks, just fell out of fashion and no longer represented the period.

I remember when Epic by Faith No More hit and I thought it sounded ultra cutting edge at the time and I knew it would be a big hit. Now when I hear it is just sounds like 1990.

bengraven

But I still hear everyone I know say "Man, remember when we listened to Linkin Park, how lame was that!". I started believing it without personally really disliking them.

This was what happened with the Star Wars prequels a few days after they would come out.

People: "That was great"
The internet: "NO IT WAS RAPE"
People: "Oh yeah, it was rape...god, my poor childhood..."

Catdaddy

They had a lot of relationship problems...per their songs...

They had a good beat and you could dance to it....I give an 7

Yes but they could have shared the hate with Disturbed, Jared Leto's band and such. But lets be real here, it was always linkin park AMV's you accidentally got on Kazaa when trying to download some sweet live performance of a band you liked, and some asshole Linkin Park fan thought "what better way to spread my AMV but to trick people into downloading it".

Myriadis

I never cared much for MCR but I did appreciate their Black Parade album.

Matter of fact, I just purchased it a few weeks ago when reminded of it (while listening to Waits' Black Rider of all things).

Just listened to that album recently and I enjoyed some songs. The first songs especially are pretty good.

Actually, I haven't heard much from Linkin Park, but they didn't get me on my nerves. They're a band where I would maybe buy some CD for a buck on a flea market. In fact I enjoy that song called "Faint".

psychotron

First two albums were great. Then they decided they only wanted to do shit tracks to surround whatever song they made for each transformers movie.

LakeEarth

Saw them live, it was pretty amazing. Crowd was full of energy.

And like most are saying, the first two albums are amazing and no, they don't deserve the hate they got.

Really liked the album hybrid theory. Actually never knew they where a hated band. They had good songs and bad ones. It was linkin park. Nothing more, nothing less.

oni_saru

Oh man. I was such a huge LP fan back in middle school and high school. I still have a lot of the LP merch i bought back then! i stopped liking them when MtM came out. That album just sucked. And it was downhill from there.

From what i remember they always gave great live shows. Definitely one of the best bands to see live.

Also their songs are great to sing along to in karaoke. A group i was hanging with a while back went all out singing In The End. It was pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom