• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the end, did Linkin Park deserve all the hate they got? Does it even matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flozuki

I still love them today, the only band that "survived" for me after all these years. I don´t even know if other acts that became popular at that time still exist.

Despite that, "A Thousand Suns" is still my favorite album, followed by "Reanimation" (these Remixes still feel so fresh, would love if we could get something like that again) and "Hybrid Theory" :-D

Tevren

I still love them today, the only band that "survived" for me after all these years. I don´t even know if other acts that became popular at that time still exist.

Despite that, "A Thousand Suns" is still my favorite album, followed by "Reanimation" (these Remixes still feel so fresh, would love if we could get something like that again) and "Hybrid Theory" :-D

Right there with you on "A Thousand Suns". I can listen to it anytime.

ultron87

This thread got me listening to Collision Course for the first time in awhile. I remember liking it quite a bit and it seems like it is still pretty rad.

Linkin Park are great. They have never been obnoxious, annoying, overstayed their welcome or said a ton of stupid shit. Linkin Park gets hate because Chesters vocals make it sound like pop. That's really all it is.

When it comes to music, I've never in my life met people who were so elitistic and stuck up their own assholes as metal heads, who can't listen to anything poppyer than their own variation of some obscure finnish viking power death post hardcore old-school punk metal sampled with the blood of king crimson and odin.

If you're not into the mainstream shit, then I suspect you are disingenuous and pretentious. Probably think too highly of yourself and your music taste. Nobody is going to like you more because you jerk of to mastodon. They just aren't.

My thing is- You can have it both ways. Music to me is about mood, and there is almost a mood for everything. Even easily digestible music like Linkin Park. And they are skilled musicians.
Mikes raps are and have always been my least favorite part of LP, but I like their sound. I really do. And everybody knows HT and Meteora. EVERYBODY!

Linkin Park are great. They have never been obnoxious, annoying, overstayed their welcome or said a ton of stupid shit. Linkin Park gets hate because Chesters vocals make it sound like pop. That's really all it is.

When it comes to music, I've never in my life met people who were so elitistic and stuck up their own assholes as metal heads, who can't listen to anything poppyer than their own variation of some obscure finnish viking power death post hardcore old-school punk metal sampled with the blood of king crimson and odin.

If you're not into the mainstream shit, then I suspect you are disingenuous and pretentious. Probably think too highly of yourself and your music taste. Nobody is going to like you more because you jerk of to mastodon. They just aren't.

My thing is- You can have it both ways. Music to me is about mood, and there is almost a mood for everything. Even easily digestible music like Linkin Park. And they are skilled musicians.
Mikes raps are and have always been my least favorite part of LP, but I like their sound. I really do. And everybody knows HT and Meteora. EVERYBODY!

Why so emotional?

ACE 1991

Making wild blanket statements is super cool man.

Why so emotional?

He is right.

Music is the most useless thing to argue about. Everyone thinks they listen to superior music. I've got a breaks and house DJ friend who takes every chance he gets to rip into mainstream EDM like the two are so different.

Add the cult of personality on top and popularity as a pivot and music criticism is a shit show.

Also stop expecting everything to last forever. Some things are made to be consumed, enjoyed, and then mostly forgotten about.

Senoculum

Pretty sure I made an anime music video of Cowboy Bebop to the tune of Somewhere I Belong.

Good times.

Never understood the hate. But I haven't heard their last two albums, so I'm out of the loop.

image.php

Tell us how you really feel.

Hoodbury

I'm too old to care or know what other people hate. All I know is I still like them, liked them in college, like them now, I even like their Transformers songs. So hate me. Don't care.

The only band that deserves to be hated is Nickleback, heh.

Manu

Still waiting for that second Fort Minor album. What is Shinoda even doing right now?

A second Fort Minor album.

I still like Linkin Park. There was a time when I started listening to other, more technical stuff and felt kinda embarassed about LP so I stopped listening to them, then a couple of years later I realized they had a unique style and went back to them.

Carlius

Banned
LP was great for that era where the whole teenager rebellion, depresison stuff was hot. a lot of teenagers identified themselves with the lyrics and their videos which i think were targeted at them.

Their new stuff is not that good, but its not bad either, they just adapted to changes in the industry. Their first two albums though were amazing musically speaking.

Fuck, that reminds me when I sang one of their songs back in junior high. No wonder the teacher made me stop after the chorus.
I never cared much for MCR but I did appreciate their Black Parade album.

Matter of fact, I just purchased it a few weeks ago when reminded of it (while listening to Waits' Black Rider of all things).

burgervan

As far as rap-rock/nu-metal bands of that time, they were far from the worst, but they were still a rap-rock/nu-metal band so...yes?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Nah, I'm not a fan or anything, but they had a sound and a voice. That is more than a lot of bad music can say. To me, being completely forgettable would be the most damming sin.

He is right.

Music is the most useless thing to argue about. Everyone thinks they listen to superior music. I've got a breaks and house DJ friend who takes every chance he gets to rip into mainstream EDM like the two are so different.

Add the cult of personality on top and popularity as a pivot and music criticism is a shit show.

Also stop expecting everything to last forever. Some things are made to be consumed, enjoyed, and then mostly forgotten about.

This lazy dismissal of music discussions on the "it's too subjective" basis pops up every time and frankly it's very annoying, and certainly this kind of attitude doesn't help the dismal state of many music related threads here.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
This lazy dismissal of music discussions on the "it's too subjective" basis pops up every time and frankly it's very annoying, and certainly this kind of attitude doesn't help the dismal state of many music related threads here.

What could help music discussion threads? There's literally no amount of work you could put into a post that will make someone who likes something decide that they don't like it after all. At most you can hope to turn people on to new things, but that's not what this thread is about. This thread is about a specific band and as such there will be people who like Linkin Park and people who don't and nobody's going to change their mind. Why should they?

He is right.

This I totally agree with.

People like what they like.

I am a mostly rock fan myself, and my favorite bands fluctuate as I tend to like songs more than groups, but it's not uncommon for me to have a playlist with everything from Coheed and Cambria to Reba McEntire to Enya to Brand New to Florence and the Machine to Simon and Garfunkel.

And I've recently become addicted to Taylor Swifts song 'Shake it Off'. NO SHAME. No guilty pleasures. I like what I like.

ThisGuy

Did they deserve it? Absolutely lmfao. Aside from a couple of songs I laughed at most I've heard. Did they deserve it? Absolutely

Crawling in my skin, these wounds they will not heallllll alle. Fear is how I fall, confusing what is reeelllll a Leelee.

They're alright though, it's okay to laugh. Nothing wrong with liking it.

Lol@the rapper

Nightbird

Did they deserve it? Absolutely lmfao. Aside from a couple of songs I laughed at most I've heard. Did they deserve it? Absolutely

Crawling in my skin, these wounds they will not heallllll alle. Fear is how I fall, confusing what is reeelllll a Leelee.

They're alright though, it's okay to laugh. Nothing wrong with liking it.

Lol@the rapper

Sooo, what exactly is your reason that they deserved to be hated?
Because I can't get where you're going with that post

ThisGuy

Sooo, what exactly is your reason that they deserved to be hated?
Because I can't get where you're going with that post

Didn't mean to imply I hated them, I laughed, but in a good way. They're a cheesy band. It's okay to like cheese, it's delicious.

GolazoDan

Mike Shinoda did The Raid's soundtrack so he's alright by me. Linkin Park probably aren't as bad as I've been conditioned to believe they were, I remember the period in the mid-2000s where every other independent pro wrestler used Faint as their entrance music which was pretty funny.

No, in retrospective, they somehow managed to stay somewhat relevant for a good decade now and that's a pretty rare feat for a rock band. Then again, Hybrid Theory and Meteora were staple albums that almost everyone had.

Listened to their albums quite a while ago, and they still hold up instrumentally (lyrically it's very basic which is what they're aiming for). Lots of good riffs and Mike Shinoda's rapping were pretty good at the time but are now somewhat outdated. The albums also suffer from over production (listen to the little things they keep adding on to the main beat that feel unnecessary). Overall, Linkin Park did well with what they have and even if they sold out, they made a good history of music.

Insured

I see Linkin Park as one of those "The less you understand the lyrics, the better" bands.

Being a non-native english speaker and 12 years old helped me like the first two albums back then. Nowadays they're... Listenable, I guess, but man, the lyrics sometimes...

All of the memes are pretty much deserved :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom