• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Xbox One leading sales in US since price cut, nearly 10 million sold-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synth

I know this is a weird question, not that I'm champion anything but, say for instance, if the PS4 had all the same features as of now, would it come down to features as such, aesthetics looks between UI, or just games?

Sorry, I didn't notice this post before, so I'll reply now.

If the PS4 and Xbox One were identical in features, then the choice on what console I would play on most would primarily come down to game yes (with multiplats probably defaulting to PS4). At the moment, that would still leave the X1 being played more, as surpisingly, the only multiplat games I've purchased so far (excluding stuff received via EA Access) are Destiny and Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare... and PvZ was purchased before a PS4 version was dated.

So why do you have a PS4 then? What are you waiting to play on it?

To me, it sounds like your and Xbox guy/gal, just by what you described.

Guy btw, ignore the avatar. Glacius was taken lol. (... by T.O.P. ... who's no longer using it... hmmm...).

Basically, I don't always make sound decisions lol. I was pretty hyped for Driveclub, as I'm a huge PGR (and MSR) fan. I've also owned every major console in each gen going back to the NES and Master System, so I guess it would have happened at some point anyway. I haven't sold it, simply because I don't actually need the cash I would get back from it. At some point there will be games I want to play, that only it will offer (c'mon Shenmue 3 lol), so I'm fine with having it just lay about for the time being.

I'd agree with you that as of right now, I'm definitely an Xbox guy.. I won't deny that. That just has more to do with it being my current preference based on what they're offering today, rather than any long-term loyalties though.

I think it is safe to say that everyone (knowlingly or unknowlingly) purchases a console on future promises (unless that person only cares about a single game that has already released).

And yes i totally agree that Sony should get their ass in gear when it comes to updates.
However my point still stands, Most of your listed pros of the Xbox One can be added to the PS4 via updates.

Yea, I didn't word that very well. Rather than saying I didn't buy the console based on future promises, it's more that I don't buy consoles based on things that are theoretically possible, but have no reason to believe they will actually happen any time soon. Apple could theoretically offer pretty much everything Android does, on iOS. In a discussion about which product is superior though, I'm not going to factor in that possibility until it's a reality. My opinion is that the PS4 isn't a better gaming machine as of right now, that doesn't mean my mind cannot be changed.

nynt9

I never understand why it´s a bad thing when MS releases an xbox one game also on the 360 so people who havent upgraded to xbox one can play an (inferiour) version.

The game in the best quality stays exclusive.

Except Titanfall's best version isn't the Xbone version.

Mendax

ughh this will give microsoft the impression that moneyhatting third party games/dlc actually works. If it gets worse in the coming months im gonna be really upset..

Shahed

Entertainment.

It is entertaining, but only in small doses. After a while I just feeling like smashing my head against the wall at some of the sillyness from both sides. I came into the thread expecting more sales talk and analysis, not console war nonsense.

Endo Punk

Sony has an uphill battle this month.

In Xbox corner we have Sunset, AW, Unity and the heavyweight MCC.

In PS4's corner we have LBP3, Beyond Gotham, Far Cry 4 and the heavyweight GTAV.

List wars, apparently.

I take part in list war sometimes but after a while you notice it don't matter.
I mean what sense it makes writing down PS4 has DC or X1 has SSO when both sold like crap.
They already on the market and people don't give a fuck there not going to help there systems.
X1 price drop going matter more than any game not name Halo.

Brohan

What I see and notice is for some, it doesn't matter about games. It's just about the system they like. It doesn't matter if one has all the bells and whistles, it's not what they like.

The only thing that does bug me is people who pretend to like (and buy) something they don't like for the sake of being neutral when it's clear they have unintentional bias. I think if one thinks less fairly of the PS4 or Xbox, then what's the point of having one? If getting into list wars in which a lot of games are thrown out there but you will play 99% of them on one system but will only play 1% on the other, then there is no reason to own that one. To say in threads that, "system x, is dusting" then there is no reason to own it.

It's seems disingenious and deceitful to really just have it for the sake of having it when you really want nothing to do with it. These type of people are invalid when it comes to console talks to me. Variable that don't want to admit what they really are.

In which case, I say to you.... A person doesn't have to go through all those steps. Basically saying their argument is "not acceptable considering the circumstances of the hypothetical" is kind of off.

It's all understandable, but it is what it is.

I'm not saying that the arguments of others are not acceptable considering the circumstances of a hypothetical. I think i've shown to be understanding and i've also stated that i respect that for alot it comes down to exclusives and certain preferences.

However i do think that my points should be taken into consideration because i am noticing many people list certain feature of the Xbox One as really big pros while alot of those features will undoubtedly also be on the PS4 in due time.

And yeah i never really understand people who buy both machines and then say that one is just collecting dust... with a little bit of research and maybe a bit of questions directed at ones self those people would have figured out that there weren't many games coming in the first year (or games they are interested in) and that most of their friends are on a certain platform.

cakely

Titanfall is pretty much dead on anywhere but X1 and maybe 360 (haven't checked). Plus, there are no cheaters on X1 like there are on PC. I consider it as an Xbox One title.
Forza Horizon 2 for X1 is pretty much the full game whereas 360 version is missing some contents.

But nothing you just said makes any of the titles in that list exclusive.

Sorry, I didn't notice this post before, so I'll reply now.

If the PS4 and Xbox One were identical in features, then the choice on what console I would play on most would primarily come down to game yes (with multiplats probably defaulting to PS4). At the moment, that would still leave the X1 being played more, as surpisingly, the only multiplat games I've purchased so far (excluding stuff received via EA Access) are Destiny and Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare... and PvZ was purchased before a PS4 version was dated.

Understandable. I have a Middling issue in which I don't know which system to play anything on. Feature set wise, I don't think I use enough of both of them to get the full 100% feeling and experience (I'm very basic lol) but most of my gaming has been done on the PS4. Now I want to get myself more familiar with the Xbox so I'm starting to fluctuate games back and forth between the two.

But I completely understand that feature wise, some just lean with one more. I feel sometimes, people put a lot of emphasis on features than games themselves. Features are always good to have, but I'm the exclusive and playing with a friend type person. I've never dabbled in the controller, live, PSN, those type debates lol. I'm basic. As long as it works... I'm good.

Guy btw, ignore the avatar. Glacius was taken lol. (... by T.O.P. ... who's no longer using it... hmmm...).

Basically, I don't always make sound decisions lol. I was pretty hyped for Driveclub, as I'm a huge PGR (and MSR) fan. I've also owned every major console in each gen going back to the NES and Master System, so I guess it would have happened at some point anyway. I haven't sold it, simply because I don't actually need the cash I would get back from it. At some point there will be games I want to play, that only it will offer (c'mon Shenmue 3 lol), so I'm fine with having it just lay about for the time being.

I'd agree with you that as of right now, I'm definitely an Xbox guy.. I won't deny that. That just has more to do with it being my current preference based on what they're offering today, rather than any long-term loyalties though.

Oh no I wasn't going by avatar lol. (tbh, I don't even know what it is lol)

I agree. The way you described the things that were important to you were just Xbox heavy, not that that is a bad thing. I guess if you admit to liking the Xbox more, it's some sort of Sin. No, I don't think so. It's just a preference and that's it. I get that some people like one over the other and I appreciate your response. It's exactly about the now rather than the dismissal of the future or potential. I think that's the true essence of having both consoles. I bought mines on the premise that today and this year may be bad but, look what happened with both in 7 years? There's just nothing that I want to miss.

bigace33

ughh this will give microsoft the impression that moneyhatting third party games/dlc actually works. If it gets worse in the coming months im gonna be really upset..

Well, as a new XB1 owner I hope MS moneyhat the hell out of exclusives and exclusive content. I like aggressive Microsoft. The price cut, and giving new games with the console has gone a long ay in winning me over.

Brohan

Yea, I didn't word that very well. Rather than saying I didn't buy the console based on future promises, it's more that I don't buy consoles based on things that are theoretically possible, but have no reason to believe they will actually happen any time soon. Apple could theoretically offer pretty much everything Android does, on iOS. In a discussion about which product is superior though, I'm not going to factor in that possibility until it's a reality. My opinion is that the PS4 isn't a better gaming machine as of right now, that doesn't mean my mind cannot be changed.

I understand and respect what your saying, i think it's a matter of time before the PS4 gets most of Xbox One's features though while we both know Iphone will be doing it's own thing.

On Demand

Banned
It is entertaining, but only in small doses. After a while I just feeling like smashing my head against the wall at some of the sillyness from both sides. I came into the thread expecting more sales talk and analysis, not console war nonsense.

This is around the the time modbot or Y2 close's the thread.

keit4

Banned
Unsustainable because even if they're making enough profit elsewhere to cover it as a company, making a constant loss going forward is going to piss off a lot of the MS shareholders, especially those who are already very vocal about wanting the Xbox division sold off. It gets to a point where the entire division just ends up being a vanity project without a clear end goal beyond selling more than Sony, and that's not exactly a worthwhile exorcise.

Hard to take the post seriously after this but here we go since a lot of people are quoting and applauding it.

I say underhanded and market manipulation because they're simply throwing money at people rather than offering a more desireable product in the first place.

Wtf? Market manipulation? They are just pricing their product accordingly to their market situation. If your direct competitor sells a better machine at a more compettive price of course you will have to add value to your product. It's not about the number but about what the numbers mean. If they are selling a lot of consoles it's not only because they are giving away games and LIVE subscriptions, it's because they are offering an attractive product to the consumers.

They're selling the hardware they make at a loss and they're giving away free games and free Live subscriptions just in the hopes of selling more than a rival product that up until now has been a far more desirable one to the consumer.

Well, that's, you know... your opinion. For me it's the other way around. Based on this i can say that the PS4 is selling more because the mindshare and (until the Xbox price cut) the lower pricepoint but i won't because i understand that this is just what i think.

Sure, it benefits anyone getting an XO this Christmas because you save a huge amount of money, but in the end MS are just spending an absurd amount of money on the hope of getting some good publicity, and even that's not guaranteed.

Damn son, you have to spin this very hard to make it look as a bad thing. I guess you made the job.

Ultimately, they made an inferior, expensive, and ultimately less desirable product. They ruined their public image with blatant anticonsumer behaviour and failed to either right all those wrongs, or adequately express to the public that they'd done so with the policy changes they have made. They've been paying for those mistakes all year with lower than desired sales, and a strong competitor that's performing better. Now they're just buying their way to better sales.

Again, your opinion. Anyways, i'm perfectly fine with MS (or Sony/Nintendo) "buying their way to better sales" with a competitive price in a competitive market.

tensuke

What the hell is going on in this thread?

0LBAfkD.gif

TomShoe

Banned
Well, as a new XB1 owner I hope MS moneyhat the hell out of exclusives and exclusive content. I like aggressive Microsoft. The price cut, and giving new games with the console has gone a long ay in winning me over.

I can't say that's not a good thing, as long as they're not taking things that were supposed to be multiplatform, and turning them exclusive. That's just anti-consumer.

RexNovis

Banned
What on earth is even happening in this thread. Last time I checked the topic was related to the most recent spin put forth by MS pr. Spin that is so blatantly slimy and deceitful (MajorNelson's tweet) that it is rivaled only by "it has a duration" on the bullshit meter.

Yet here we are in the last page completely off topic making exclusive lists instead of rightfully dragging MS through the coals for misleading consumers AGAIN. Stop letting MS apologists control the flow of discourse and stay on topic people. Direct your righteous anger at the company releasing PR statements that make the informed consumer's skin crawl with disgust and rage. Stop bickering with the same old crowd who's goals are naught but to deviate from the topic at hand with the most absurd tangents conceivable and stand your ground against the bullshit PR.

I think it's a better gaming console because it currently has far more games I actually want to play (Driveclub is my only game purchase on PS4 nearly a year in excluding PS+ content, and that turned out to be a huge disappointment)..
I think it's a better gaming console because when it notifies me when my friends come online (this one is important to me)..
I think it's a better gaming console because the controller doesn't die in a few hours (and is asymmetric!).
I think it's a better gaming console because it can suspend the game I was playing when I place the machine in standby.
Overall, I think it's a better gaming console, because when I want to play a game I select it like 30:1 over my PS4 to play on.

Now, none of what I've listed is objective. But it's all true for me. Which is why if someone claims the PS4 is a better gaming console factually, then I think they're full of shit.

I also think my Wii U is a better gaming console than my PS4 too btw.

This is the funniest post ever. It's obvious people are trying to communicate reasons why the XB1 hasn't excelled on the market as a whole.

Yet people get their knickers in such a twist about it and take it so personally.

Shahed

See this is a comment I don't understand. Money hatting exclusive content doesn't give you anything you weren't going to get anyway. It just deprives users on other platforms. There's no benefit to Xbox users (Or PS users in the reverse).

I'm not saying that the arguments of others are not acceptable considering the circumstances of a hypothetical. I think i've shown to be understanding and i've also stated that i respect that for alot it comes down to exclusives and certain preferences.

However i do think that my points should be taken into consideration because i am noticing many people list certain feature of the Xbox One as really big pros while alot of those features will undoubtedly also be on the PS4 in due time.

And yeah i never really understand people who buy both machines and then say that one is just collecting dust... with a little bit of research and maybe a bit of questions directed at ones self those people would have figured out that there weren't many games coming in the first year (or games they are interested in) and that most of their friends are on a certain platform.

But they aren't now, so if they want it and the next system has it and all they have to sacrifice is a hit in graphics and power... That's not bad trade off.

------

Were there people really saying that Microsoft is buying console sales by pricing their system cheaper? Uhhhhhhhhhh WAT?

That...... Makes... No sense.

Endo Punk

Say what you want guys, MCC may be getting server issues but it's still 4 games against 1 COD that is projected to sell less than Ghosts.

Sony has an uphill battle this month.

In Xbox corner we have Sunset, AW, Unity and the heavyweight MCC.

In PS4's corner we have LBP3, Beyond Gotham, Far Cry 4 and the heavyweight GTAV.

Well MS is leading this month and they have the price cut in their favor, PS4's family bundle is sort of a wild card that may or may not work against MS core focus

Alexalder

Banned
What on earth is even happening in this thread. Last time I checked the topic was related to the most recent spin put forth by MS pr. Spin that is so blatantly slimy and deceitful (MajorNelson's tweet) that it is rivaled only by "it has a duration" on the bullshit meter.

Yet here we are in the last page completely off topic making exclusive lists instead of rightfully dragging MS through the coals for misleading consumers AGAIN. Stop letting MS apologists control the flow of discourse and stay on topic people. Direct your righteous anger at the company releasing PR statements that make the informed consumer's skin crawl with disgust and rage. Stop bickering with the same old crowd who's goals are naught but to deviate from the topic at hand with the most absurd tangents conceivable and stand your ground against the bullshit PR.
I'm outraged
Doing it right?

JaggedSac

Is this a meme I am unaware of?

keit4

Banned

You forgot to add the /joking at the end.

Please tell me you did.

Chris1

It's going to get worse, much, much worse. It was already bad last gen and this gen has already gotten off to a horrible start with Destiny.

Both sides are at fault though, and although I'm probably biased here as I'm an xbox guy I do think MS way of moneyhatting exclusives is better, sony just guts games up and you still get charged the same, that's something I hope MS never does (and it looks like they won't start, since AC has no exclusive missions like they did for PS3)

Either take the whole thing (whether that be timed or perm exclusive) or not at all, gutting games content and still charging the same amount is a step too far but it's something we're gonna have to get used to unfortunately

Synth

This is the funniest post ever. It's obvious people are trying to communicate reasons why the XB1 hasn't excelled on the market as a whole.

Yet people get their knickers in such a twist about it and take it so personally.

How is that taking it personally? The post I quoted specifically asked why the Xbox One is a better console in someone's opinion (sure, it wasn't directed at me... but if I were to sit here waiting for people to address me personally, then I'd never post).

I can see plenty of reasons the PS4 sells better than the Xbox One, but I don't think that makes it factually better as a games console, much like I wouldn't have said the Wii last gen was factually better as a games console because it sold the most.

What is your problem with my post exactly?

Brohan

But they aren't now, so if they want it and the next system has it and all they have to sacrifice is a hit in graphics and power... That's not bad trade off.

------

Were there people really saying that Microsoft is buying console sales by pricing their system cheaper? Uhhhhhhhhhh WAT?

That...... Makes... No sense.

It's fine if they want to make that trade off, personally i don't mind being patient as i think patience will be rewarded (in this case both the hardware advantage and the features in due time) but i understand that some are not so patient or simply aren't willing to wait.

How is that taking it personally? The post I quoted specifically asked why the Xbox One is a better console in someone's opinion (sure, it wasn't directed at me... but if I were to sit here waiting for people to address me personally, then I'd never post).

I can see plenty of reasons the PS4 sells better than the Xbox One, but I don't think that makes it factually better as a games console, much like I wouldn't have said the Wii last gen was factually better as a games console because it sold the most.

What is your problem with my post exactly?

No problem, it made me laugh.

bigace33

See this is a comment I don't understand. Money hatting exclusive content doesn't give you anything you weren't going to get anyway. It just deprives users on other platforms. There's no benefit to Xbox users (Or PS users in the reverse).

There is a benefit to me as an XB1 owner. I get to play exclusive content for my shiny new console that can't be found anywhere else. Why should I care about users being "deprived' on other platforms? If I really want to play Uncharted I know I have to buy a PS4, that's up to me if I want to spend the money to do so.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Say what you want guys, MCC may be getting server issues but it's still 4 games against 1 COD that is projected to sell less than Ghosts.

And?? CoD still kicks Chief's ass up and down the block on Xbox. Only this time Chief's new team is worse, and the online is broken.

Synth

It's fine if they want to make that trade off, personally i don't mind being patient as i think patience will be rewarded (in this case both the hardware advantage and the features in due time) but i understand that some are not so patient or simply aren't willing to wait.

If you were patient, wouldn't you just not own the console until later? If you buy it ahead of time, it's probably because other stuff more important to you than those features were included.

No problem, it made me laugh.

Ok, sure.

There is a benefit to me as an XB1 owner. I get to play exclusive content for my shiny new console that can't be found anywhere else. Why should I care about users being "deprived' on other platforms? If I really want to play Uncharted I know I have to buy a PS4, that's up to me if I want to spend the money to do so.

Moneyhat as in Bayonetta 2? Cool.
Moneyhat as in Tomb Raider? Nah, fuck that.

cheesekao

I hope you realize that money-hatting a project and funding a project are two separate things. Money-hatting is an anti-consumer practice but if you don't care about ethics then whatever floats your boat.

Why are you quoting the word deprived? That's exactly the right word. You're saying you don't care at all that other people are getting screwed over just so you can feed your superiority complex? Dude that is messed up.

bill0527

And?? CoD still kicks Chief's ass up and down the block on Xbox. Only this time Chief's new team is worse, and the online is broken.

I'm ok with online being borked right now.

H2a's remastered campaign is glorious. And I never got around to Halo 4 on X360 because i sold my 360 before it came out.

The beauty of the game, unlike CoD, is that if the online is broken, you've got plenty of other shit to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom