• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 English Cast Revealed

sensui-tomo

The one English trailer they have on ign seems to have the guy who voices lubu/xehanort's heartless/rider (fate zero) talking, wonder who that is.

Vex_

Banned
uhh... who the fuck are they?

EDIT: I recognize the name Matt Mercer.... but that might be because I am remembering Alex Mercer.....

Lunar15

Same.
Which is a shame since from what we have seen Morgana always sticks around the Protag and has a lot of dialog with him.

I mean, I get it: Morgana is supposed to sound paradoxically cute and young, but talk in a serious and older manner. However, it's really hard to pull off the charm of Otani.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Yup first impression isn't positive.

I'm still mulling it over a bit, but I'm not feeling it right now either. The brief presumed protag line was good, and Morgana was 'okay', but the others (Ruyji and maybe Ann) did not sound particularly good.

Hoping it's due to the fact that it's just VO overlay over random trailer footage, but...idk.

uhh... who the fuck are they?

EDIT: I recognize the name Matt Mercer.... but that might be because I am remembering Alex Mercer.....
Fresh blood. Which is what we need nowadays when every guy is Troy Baker and every girl is Laura Bailey (not that I mind...)

Jarmel

Banned
I'm still mulling it over a bit, but I'm not feeling it right now either. The brief presumed protag line was good, and Morgana was 'okay', but the others (Ruyji and maybe Ann) did not sound particularly good.

Hoping it's due to the fact that it's just VO overlay over random trailer footage, but...idk.

Yea that's where I'm leaning. The protag and Morgana are fine but the rest just sound bad.

LiK

It's likely more of Laura Bailey being busy than it is her not doing non-union roles, anymore (Capcom would have recasted Chun-Li if that was the case).

I remember she tweeted that she wanted to reprise Rise for P4 DAN games but she was booked so they replaced her.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I remember she tweeted that she wanted to reprise Rise for P4 DAN games but she was booked so they replaced her.

She has about 4000 roles in Western games these days which I imagine might pay more and thus get booking priority, or at minimum take up a lot of time.

Nachos

On my phone, so I can't actually watch the video.
Erika Harlacher as Ann Takamaki
Erica Lindbeck as Futaba Sakura
That is the most out-of-left-field casting. I always pegged Lindbeck for Ann, and didn't even think Harlacher was even a factor. I'm really hoping Harlacher can give Ann the right amount of sass and assertiveness. She's a great actress when she uses her natural voice, but her Kyoko in Dangan Ronpa is pretty bad. That was recorded two years ago, though.

Matt Mercer as Yusuke Kitagawa
How is this going to affect crossovers, if he'll still voice Kanji? Would've preferred Kaiji Tang if Baker's not coming back. He'd be good for Yusuke's eccentric awkwardness.

Otherwise stoked for Mittelman Ryuji and Daymond Goro. This marks the first time Atlus has ever come forward with the full main cast of one of their games, much less this far in advance. They're clearly putting a lot behind this.

Korigama

I don't know my VAs but are there examples of who they have voiced before?
Going over some of their roles for myself (already knew of roles that were Matt Mercer's work ahead of time):

Max Mittelman - Saitama (One Punch Man)
Erika Harlacher - Kurapika (Hunter x Hunter)
Cherami Leigh - Kudelia (Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans)
Erica Lindbeck - Misty/Vita (Trails of Cold Steel)
Xanthe Huynh - Nagisa (Pulla Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion), Altina (Trails of Cold Steel II)
Robbie Daymond - Tuxedo Mask (Viz dub of the original Sailor Moon, as well as Sailor Moon Crystal), Prompto (Final Fantasy XV)

Very promising. Looking forward to it.

Xander Mobus is most famously known as the Smash Bros 4 announcer but he's done some other great work in anime and other video games. Max Mittleman is a newcomer but he recently did a fantastic job as Saitama in the One-Punch Man dub. Erika Harlacher was the original voice for Kyoko Kirigiri in the video games so you might know her from there. Cassandra Morris, Matt Mercer and Cherami Leigh are veterans of the VA world and have been heard in tons of your favorite anime. Erica Lindbeck and Xanthe Huynh dont have a lot of roles under their belt but if you've seen Love Live!, then you might recognize them as Eli Ayase and Hanayo Koizumi respectively. And finally Robbie Daymond is a relatively new VA but he has a lot of big roles under his belt including Tuxedo Mask in the new Sailor Moon dub, Joe in Digimon Tri and the protagonist of the God Eater anime. Overall, i'd say it's a fantastic cast. Really looking forward to it.

Excited to see some 'lesser' names in here. I'm at the point where the big named actors take me out of the experience a little bit when I can't disassociate them from their other roles. With voices I don't know very well, I feel I'll come to like the characters more!

Vex_

Banned
Fresh blood. Which is what we need nowadays when every guy is Troy Baker and every girl is Laura Bailey (not that I mind...)

Oh no. I totally agree. im just surprised. I think FFXV is doing something similar, no? This is good for the industry!

I MIGHT MAKE A THREAD ON THIS!

Zareka

Awesome cast. I am very happy with this.

Matt again is gonna be weird though. He's been Kanji for ages. I know he'll use a different voice but it's still gonna be recognisable.

Edit: The fact the silent protagonist is the Smash announcer is hilarious to me.

Cassandra Morris and Cherami Leigh have voiced some of my favorite characters before, so I'm pretty pumped.
You would probably know Matt Mercer the best.

He voiced:
- Leon
- Chrom
- Walter (SMT4)
- Jesse McCree
- Gangplank
- Alvin
- Cor (FFXV)
- Ryoma
- Rexxar
- Stryker
- Edge Maverick
- Kanji in all the P4 spin-offs
The first game I played with Matt Mercer voicing a major role was Tales of Xillia (Alvin.) For a while I was like "hm, I'm pretty sure that's Troy Baker, but it sounds a little off from his voice" and my sibling said "if that's not Troy Baker, that's, like, The Guy You Get When You Can't Get Troy Baker."

Then I finally looked him up and LO AND FUCKING BEHOLD HE LITERALLY IS THE GUY YOU GET WHEN YOU CAN'T GET TROY BAKER

(Which I'd imagine is pretty great for him now that Troy Baker has apparently moved up into the tier of Too Expensive For Non-AAA Games.)

Awesome cast. I am very happy with this.

Matt again is gonna be weird though. He's been Kanji for ages. I know he'll use a different voice but it's still gonna be recognisable.

Edit: The fact the silent protagonist is the Smash announcer is hilarious to me.
Xander will probably play another major character just like Yuri Lowenthal and Johnny Yong Bosch did

FSLink

Banned
Yup first impression isn't positive.

Whoever says the line, "You guys are the Phantom Thieves" sounds way too young.
Who is that supposed to be? Anyway I like the voices so far. Morgana's is cute.

Also kinda neat that Chrom and Yusuke have the same Japanese VA and now have the same English VA as well.

Kazuhira

I don't know any of these people(except for Mercer) so i'm gonna trust you guys and believe this is good news.
Troy has come a long way in his career since vanilla P4,they can't even afford him now lol.

I actually recognize most of these VA's. They've done good work in other games and shows, so I have no complaints. I'll be interesting to see who voices the villains.

Hoo-doo

Banned
We will all still get used to the voices for over 100+ hours and when they change up the voices in the remake later we will all collectively flip our shit because we grew to love the original cast.

Top Bottom